Anyone else feel the same way I do about the current crop o devices....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I didn't sign a contract for my Lumia 710 (and refuse to for the 900) after reading about the 610 with NFC (not that I would sign a contract for that phone because it's still low-end). I found my 710 for 200 and am now a free agent on Tmobile prepaid because I refuse to buy a device that does NOT have at least a Front cam, NFC, and and a decent GPU for gaming (don't care about processor necessarily). I'm not a spec whore (the reason why I am with Windows Phone vs Android because Windows Phone was optimized for the hardware it runs on...not the other way around), but if I'm going to sign my life away for 2 years (especially to a crappy company like AT&T) it better be on a device that is pretty future proof.

The current crop of Windows Phones are recycled, 2 year old Android handsets with different manufacturers basically (includin the 900 when you look at the processor and GPU). I don't need an XBox 360 in my pocket, but I at least want a device that "feels good to have" and not feeling like I'm missing anything when things start to pick up (NFC support, better gaming apps, etc). I don't need these specs for current day usage, and if I could find any of the newer high end 2nd gen devices for a good price off-contract then I'm all for it. But as is... I refuse to sign a 2 year agreement for the crop of devices out now.....

Anyone else feel the same way I do...?

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The current crop of Windows Phones are recycled, 2 year old Android handsets with different manufacturers basically (includin the 900 when you look at the processor and GPU). I don't need an XBox 360 in my pocket, but I at least want a device that "feels good to have" and not feeling like I'm missing anything when things start to pick up (NFC support, better gaming apps, etc). I don't need these specs for current day usage, and if I could find any of the newer high end 2nd gen devices for a good price off-contract then I'm all for it. But as is... I refuse to sign a 2 year agreement for the crop of devices out now.....

Anyone else feel the same way I do...?

I don't. I don't need those specs, and that's the end of it. I could care less about details that I have no use for. If and when I think NFC and games are important, I'll take a fresh look. Until the time comes when specs are actually getting in the way of something that I want to do, I'll continue to ignore them.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I do not. NFC is still a long way off in this country. The US is so bass ackwards that we won't see that tech become reality for a long time. You want it. I'd like it, but everyone is so afraid of security issues that it may never take off.

You mention the hardware is old but also mention how M$ gears the OS to the device. Which is it gonna be? I'm making the switch because they are proving to me that I don't need a quad core CPU/ tegra 3 gpu to play some games, post to Facebook, and take some pics. I've been playing the specs game for years now and all it does is make me broke because I pay retail pricing to get the latest and greatest. Much like the devil that is iOS, they've simplified things for a similar experience across different devices by various manufacturers (that last part that Apple doesn't do). I see great things here and a good start.

Why should they go all gung ho to start off when they have a great game plan? You want specs and constantly changing hardware, go Android. As you've stated, if you want an OS designed to take advantage of the hardware that's been made a standard, go with Windows phone.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I do not. NFC is still a long way off in this country. The US is so bass ackwards that we won't see that tech become reality for a long time. You want it. I'd like it, but everyone is so afraid of security issues that it may never take off.

You mention the hardware is old but also mention how M$ gears the OS to the device. Which is it gonna be? I'm making the switch because they are proving to me that I don't need a quad core CPU/ tegra 3 gpu to play some games, post to Facebook, and take some pics. I've been playing the specs game for years now and all it does is make me broke because I pay retail pricing to get the latest and greatest. Much like the devil that is iOS, they've simplified things for a similar experience across different devices by various manufacturers (that last part that Apple doesn't do). I see great things here and a good start.

Why should they go all gung ho to start off when they have a great game plan? You want specs and constantly changing hardware, go Android. As you've stated, if you want an OS designed to take advantage of the hardware that's been made a standard, go with Windows phone.

I was with Android before Windows Phone, and that's what I'm saying. If I felt the way you described (saying what's it gonna be?) then I wouldn't have a Windows Phone in the first place. I hate how in order to have even remotely CLOSE to the smooth experience of windows phone on Android you need a quad core device and that you're constantly chasing that performance you'll never get. I don't want high end specs for day-to-day performance (like I said), but I would like to see specs that aren't just recycled from other handsets with old specs because it simply limits what is POSSIBLE with the device. I said that I don't HAVE TO HAVE IT for use my phone, but it would be nice to have these things (my particular wants that is...your wants may vary) because in case things DO pick up I will have gotten more value for my dollar....

BTW....NFC is important to me because wife and I share a checking account because of her bad credit (and I do not write checks because I hate them). We only have one debit card (and the account is my checking account), and when I had my Nexus S it was very convienent to just pull it out and use it as places for lunch and stuff, while my wife kept the card (she is a stay at home mom primarily with our 3 kids).

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
No, enjoying my Radar (apart from the non-working wifi). When better comes along I will buy it, I'm not bound to one device just because I may be on a contract.

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I was actually a little disappointed with the current crop of devices until the 800 arrived...

The one spec issue is the display resolution. 800x600 is a fine for 3.7" phones, but is too low for these monster display sizes that are popular nowadays.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I was with Android before Windows Phone, and that's what I'm saying. If I felt the way you described (saying what's it gonna be?) then I wouldn't have a Windows Phone in the first place. I hate how in order to have even remotely CLOSE to the smooth experience of windows phone on Android you need a quad core device and that you're constantly chasing that performance you'll never get. I don't want high end specs for day-to-day performance (like I said), but I would like to see specs that aren't just recycled from other handsets with old specs because it simply limits what is POSSIBLE with the device. I said that I don't HAVE TO HAVE IT for use my phone, but it would be nice to have these things (my particular wants that is...your wants may vary) because in case things DO pick up I will have gotten more value for my dollar....

BTW....NFC is important to me because wife and I share a checking account because of her bad credit (and I do not write checks because I hate them). We only have one debit card (and the account is my checking account), and when I had my Nexus S it was very convienent to just pull it out and use it as places for lunch and stuff, while my wife kept the card (she is a stay at home mom primarily with our 3 kids).

Again, I agree with you on NFC and I think it has great potential, but it's not going to happen any time soon. That's no fault of M$. That's the acceptance of our society.

I understand that you keep saying you WANT to have a phone with increased specs in case things pick up. Like what exactly? Do you buy a souped up vehicle in anticipation of speed limit increases or because you'll eventually want to take it to the track? Exactly what do you figure is going to happen in the 2 year contract (technically 20 months for your upgrade) that you need superior specs? Are you going to be doing something much different on your phone in the next 10 months that you can't do today? Barring low end Android devices, what can't you do on most Android/iOS phones today that you couldn't do in 2010? I'm hard pressed to find much other than some of the more modern games. My roommate's dad is rocking a Droid X, which I had 2 years ago, and I'm showing him all kinds of stuff on my Bionic that he's doing just fine on that device. Specs are truly more of a d*** measuring contest when it boils down to it.

Wanting is great. Being prepared for what may come is ideal. Reality is a different story all together. Apple has noticed this and it's working wonders for them. M$ has their plan as well, but a much broader approach. Design the OS around the hardware. What a novel concept.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Personally I could care less about it. What i do care about is battery life, ease of use, OS speed, and not having apps that crash in the background or try to take over my phone. I have never once had my WP lock up or stop me from making a call or text...I value those things more than anything. There is no reason a cell phone needs a Quad core processor! None! No phone on the market should need a quad core anything...to me it screams that the OS is hogging resources (i'm not an expert so i can and probably am wrong).

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally I could care less about it. What i do care about is battery life, ease of use, OS speed, and not having apps that crash in the background or try to take over my phone. I have never once had my WP lock up or stop me from making a call or text...I value those things more than anything. There is no reason a cell phone needs a Quad core processor! None! No phone on the market should need a quad core anything...to me it screams that the OS is hogging resources (i'm not an expert so i can and probably am wrong).

Nailed it!

Phen0m24

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the fence, and it is killing me. I have to be honest, first thing is the contract cost each month. I really want to find a great blend of bang for the buck and performance/network speed/hardware. ATT's prices seem completely out of whack. My crappy Froyo on Virgin Mobile may be old, but I'm hard pressed to find a better option that truly warrants tripling or quadrupling my $25 per month - WP7 or not.

The second is the blend of hardware and available distractions, I mean games. I love Wordament but when I look over and my brother is playing Dead Space in HD that he got for $.99.. The hardware looks dated. I mean, Chickens Can't Fly? Really? Bleh.
And it really bugged me that even after buying Plants vs Zombies on Xbox Live I would have to buy it AGAIN? Grumble grumble.
With so many amazing Xbox Live games, I would hope more would be cross platform, and that a Windows Phone device that connects with a Microsoft service would be able to play them better than any other device. Pie in the sky, I guess.

Still looking, watching and waiting. :) I stare longingly in the 900's direction but can't yet fork over the cash.

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I think what is going on this thread I started is people are confusing and intertwining high end specs for the OS vs high end specs for EXTRA THINGS. To answer peoples' main question about "what do you need hardcore specs for...?", I am a casual gamer on my mobile devices. I have an iPhone 4s and playing Modern Combat 3 on it is awesome. However, when I'm done with that game the iPhone doesn't see the light of day (except for music). When I need a phone that works just fine, Windows Phone is where I'm at. When I want entertainment or features I have to use a different OS. I want to just have one device to where its all there. Part of this is due to the OS age and not receiving support, but when the support is there I will have the best of everything when higher end devices are released(and not just the best OS for just the OS). If you don't feel that way and don't game and only use your phone for light stuff then fine...you got what you need. I was just curious as to whether others are in the same predicament as me...

Keep in mind that I keep stating if I didn't like Windows Phone AS IS (good battery life, smooth, easy to use, bloat free, without hardcore specs) I would've stuck with my Nexus S or iPhone 4s right now. All I'm saying is I want it ALL if I'm going to be spending the same amount if money for devices that DO have it all (especially if I'm signing a contract).

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
You've answered your own question. You want it all. No phone is going to give you all. Sad, but true. Manufacturers will sacrifice one area to give the best overall experience, but you won't hit that perfect device unless you just want to make calls and text. That's about it.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
You've answered your own question. You want it all. No phone is going to give you all. Sad, but true. Manufacturers will sacrifice one area to give the best overall experience, but you won't hit that perfect device unless you just want to make calls and text. That's about it.

I wouldn't say that is TOTALLY true because there ARE PHONES that DO HAVE it all for me.....they just have a terrible OS lol. Put it like this....if someone figured out a way to get Windows Phone OS running PERFECTLY (the way it works now...for the most part) on a Nexus S 4g type device, I would sign a contract with WHOEVER the phone was with. You make it sound like it's NOT POSSIBLE (which clearly Microsoft has gotten the message, hence the leak about higher end specs coming). Where I'm coming from is that everyone is talking about how the Lumia 900 is the "Windows Phone Savior Device", but when you look at it INTERNALLY it's the same as any other 2nd gen Windows Phone, and for ME that's not enough to sign a contract for.

However....I know down the line (couple of months) that what is enough FOR ME WILL be here (supposedly); why buy into a contract now and have to figure out a way to get THAT DEVICE when it releases? Like I said, I was just seeing who feels the same as me. Apparently, not too many people at all (which is fine...I was just throwing my thoughts out there)....

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I guess I would have to say that's a Big NO from me. Why?! Because I just signed a 2 year contract for the Lumia 900. There will always be a bigger better around the corner. You make the call when the device you can live with goes on sale. My device of choice at least for now is the Lumia 900, LTE, Windows Phone, the hardware necessary to run it, big beautiful screen, Nokia build quality, etc... So I guess I'm just easy to please.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My device already runs smooth and chances are I won't have a problem until the day comes that I can't update the OS without hampering the experience. I can't anticipate with "new and exciting" features will be around in two years and which current "exciting" features will die out. There are some features that will likely come in the future, like in-app video editing, that would require a new phone.

However, it's hard to say what new, must-have feature will make me want to upgrade. I'd rather be happy with my device now, because no matter when I buy or what I buy, something better WILL completely smoke my current phone in 2 years. That reason could be because of hardware restricted features, OS upgrades, or new technology that wasn't popular two years ago (like NFC, which still isn't popular in NA). Heck, it could be because of new technology that didn't even exist two years ago (PureView).

My Samsung Focus still runs smooth and I expect that my Titan will still run smooth when my contract ends in 2013, but I'm pretty sure I'll still be eyeballing all the latest phones when my contract is up - and I expect any "tech geek" would be doing the same when their 2 year contract is up because they know that they're "bestest phone ever" isn't so great anymore.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd like a front facing camera on a phone with 16gb and a decent podcast app but I'm happy with my HD7. I can wait. Once you buy your phone, there's always something better. Always.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I dont care about anything except screen resolution, single core, dual core, etc, I would love a higher resolution screen on my device.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Amen to this.

I could not possibly care less about NFC. As far as gaming goes, I don't play a ton of games on my phone and the Adreno 205 or whatever it is in my Lumia 900 is more than adequate for everything I ask of the phone.

No phone is future proof, I'm not worried about that.

As for signing a contract, I'm not concerned about that either. I essentially got my Lumia 900 for FREE with the 2 year contract.

Sure, Apollo and dual core processors and 11 other things will come out during the term of my contract. That happens no matter WHEN you sign a contract, it's unavoidable.

All I care about is I have a phone I love and I could not suffer through another year with my wretched Android junk waiting for NFC or plasma screens or quad-core or Apollo or any other life-changing phone technology.

I love the phone I have now. Anything that comes out between now and when it's time for me to get another isn't going to make my phone any "less good" than it was when I bought it, and in two years, Apollo and dual core and whatever other wonderful stuff is just about to come out any minute will have had plenty of time to mature and come down in price and Nokia will probably have an awesome phone for me to buy.

Between now and then, I'm not gonna sweat it. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb