I feel like a heretic, outcast, or blasphemer because I like WP7

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Apple has iDevices and Microsoft could have xDevices.

But I do agree. Windows despite not being "cool" is a force that cannot be shaken. Mobile may be so hot right now but the desktop isn't going away any time soon.

I hope they bring it together with Windows 8.

I've got Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a virtual machine on my laptop and I think it's fantastic. Just as practical for serious work (once you get used to the different interface), and a whole lot more pleasant for casual putzing around.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to life and the Internet where the average person is dumb. Every person I know that's given it a real try has switched and loved it.

Also if MS does rename it, my vote is for xbone.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to life and the Internet where the average person is dumb. Every person I know that's given it a real try has switched and loved it.

Also if MS does rename it, my vote is for xbone.

Believe me it's not just internet trolls who say dumb things about Microsoft. You would be shocked to hear what comes from the mouths of professionals.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
When I had my HD7 people didn't really know what to think. They didn't really have an opinion, but a lot of my friends said I should stick with iOS since I switch phones often (in comparison to them). That's fine if they are comfortable with Apple and I enjoyed it, but will be getting a WP7 device again while holding on to my MyTouch for social apps and such for the moment

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It's just cool to hate Microsoft (and Windows) here. But not everyone loves the Xbox, just talk to a Playstation person.

What's cracks me the most are the people at work who insist they are Mac for life. The only programs I see them using are MS Office and then they complain they have to use webmail because they can't use Outlook.

Honestly Microsoft should have left the name Windows out of their phone. That is alone is hurting them. People hear Windows and don't think good things. Even though Windows 7 is a fine product.

They should have called it the Xphone. Could release a Halo edition that would probably outsell the iPhone.

Attempting to come off as one of the cool kids by hayting on MS is pretty pathetic and I still don't understand what MS have done for people in the US to be so 'anti'? Further more, these same people choose to worship a brand that is fixated on invaded our privacy, whilst the other insults our intelligence with it's brainwashing and manipulation - as it attempts to take over the world.

Just what is wrong with people? Personally, if someone used the name "Windows" to slag off my phone, I'd tell them to grow up.

I see your point regarding the name, but "Windows" is the driving force and future of Microsoft. Also, once people have migrated to Windows 8...

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if the folks at Microsoft knew what they were doing by branding it as such. OR maybe they just didn't care and figured that this mobile OS would get some more acclaim in the eyes of the consumer. And it could very well do that. But with so many people being creatures of habit and strangers to change, it's an uphill battle for M$. If us WP7 folks keep on popping up and showing what it can do, then I'm sure they'll make some head way.

I was at the ATT store looking for a case for my phone and there was a guy there who was a little interested in the Lumia. He overheard me as the ATT associate about the accessories. He asks me if I already had the Lumia. Of course I whipped it out and showed him. But see, the demo models don't give you the full extent of what you can do. I showed the customer how I had mine set up and all my info at a glance (CNN, RSS feeds, weather, engadget) and he smirked and turned around to ask the associate if they had anymore. Unfortunately for him....they were sold out. Now, if they had more store associates who had the phones and actually customized it a bit, I think they would sell a little bit more. I didn't know that i could have that much more info. I still liked it before I even know I could do that. The demo phones are really missing the selling points. well, at least in the stores I go to.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the folks at Microsoft knew what they were doing by branding it as such. OR maybe they just didn't care and figured that this mobile OS would get some more acclaim in the eyes of the consumer. And it could very well do that. But with so many people being creatures of habit and strangers to change, it's an uphill battle for M$. If us WP7 folks keep on popping up and showing what it can do, then I'm sure they'll make some head way.

I was at the ATT store looking for a case for my phone and there was a guy there who was a little interested in the Lumia. He overheard me as the ATT associate about the accessories. He asks me if I already had the Lumia. Of course I whipped it out and showed him. But see, the demo models don't give you the full extent of what you can do. I showed the customer how I had mine set up and all my info at a glance (CNN, RSS feeds, weather, engadget) and he smirked and turned around to ask the associate if they had anymore. Unfortunately for him....they were sold out. Now, if they had more store associates who had the phones and actually customized it a bit, I think they would sell a little bit more. I didn't know that i could have that much more info. I still liked it before I even know I could do that. The demo phones are really missing the selling points. well, at least in the stores I go to.

That's actually a really good point. I also think that WP7 needs some customization to be demonstrated properly.

Android fanboys go on and on how WP7 isn't customizable (and let's be honest, it isn't). But what they miss is that what little customization it allows you to do, makes it much more personal than every other OS out there, WP7 users know what I'm talking about.

(/RANT: This actually reminds me of The Verge videos reviews. Both the Lumia 900 and the HTC Titan II are completely stock, no customization at all. I wonder if they even tried...)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
(/RANT: This actually reminds me of The Verge videos reviews. Both the Lumia 900 and the HTC Titan II are completely stock, no customization at all. I wonder if they even tried...)

I think reviewers should at least add enough apps to activate the jump list. With iOS and Android, those platforms are already mature, thus there's not a lot of "growth" to measure. But there's been a lot of growth with the WP marketplace in-between the release of the Titan/Focus S and the recent release of the Lumia 900. The Focus S was released in Nov. of last year and there was around 50k apps. It was announced this month that there are now 80k apps. Reviewers like to complain about not having apps, but never mention the extra 30k that have been added in the past couple months. Surely there must be something there that improves the WP ecosystem. What I think happens is that reviewers do a quick search for their favorite iOS/Android app (or its equivalent), and if they don't see it then they throw a hissy fit.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I think the real reason many people slam MS is. They have made so much money over the last 25 years people are simply jealous.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think whats probably happening here is that people are remembering and reacting to how crummy in terms of UI and bloat that products like Internet Explorer, Office and Windows on the desktop have been (and to a large extent still are), and how terrible Windows Mobile was.

Microsoft broke with both of those traditions with WP7. They were brave enough to create something completely new and innovative, both from their own past, and from what Apple and Google have been doing. Problem is, Microsoft's refusal to let go of the Windows name is tarnishing their new, great product with the reputation of their old, crappy ones.

Personally, I'd have called it Metrophone and dumped the Windows bit altogether, to show everyone that this was a true break from the past.

I'm a Mac user. I'm an iPhone 4S and iPad owner. And I love my Metrophone. Just don't mention Windows to me ;)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Overall people should just do what works for them. And WP7 seems to be working for a few million world wide. It's only a matter of time before they pic up more steam. It's just a matter of the stores doing it the right way. Show some customization and a little bit of enthusiasm. I really should get a weekend gig at my local ATT store. lol. Just so I could help a little.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I think whats probably happening here is that people are remembering and reacting to how crummy in terms of UI and bloat that products like Internet Explorer, Office and Windows on the desktop have been (and to a large extent still are), and how terrible Windows Mobile was.

Microsoft broke with both of those traditions with WP7. They were brave enough to create something completely new and innovative, both from their own past, and from what Apple and Google have been doing. Problem is, Microsoft's refusal to let go of the Windows name is tarnishing their new, great product with the reputation of their old, crappy ones.

Personally, I'd have called it Metrophone and dumped the Windows bit altogether, to show everyone that this was a true break from the past.

I'm a Mac user. I'm an iPhone 4S and iPad owner. And I love my Metrophone. Just don't mention Windows to me ;)

I think they could have called metro something else in conjunction with their UI. Some people might mistake metrophone for a Metro PCS phone....which you don't want to do. But I like where you went with that though. But yeah, they need to do away with the whole windows thing. They just can't let it go though.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
xPhone

I don't know why people seem to hate them so much, but there is a LOT of MS bashing in the IT department I work at. Of the few other gamers here I'm the only one who has an Xbox as the others say they refuse to have a microsoft product hooked up to their TV. They either have playstations or are waiting for apple to add games to the Apple TV, or some (sadly) think an open source Linux box is the answer for everything. I appreciate open source as much as the next person but i don't think it's ever going to take off the way they seem to be convinced it will, and if it ever did there would just be a huge mess and fragmentation like Android made. Absolute freedom = Chaos.

Sort of related - when I was at AT&T yesterday to unsuccessfully pick up a Cyan Lumia 900 I asked the employee how they liked their 900. His response was that it was Microsoft and he was from the "Apple Generation" - I didn't realize that was a thing. He seemed pretty pissed that they took away his iPhone and made him carry a Microsoft product, didn't look like he even wanted to give it a chance.

Anyway, I like idea of Xphone and leaving Windows out of it - seems to have worked pretty well for the Xbox. If they focused more on it being a gaming phone (maybe with an official controller attachment) and actually got some good games for it maybe it would take off more. I'd also like to see something like the Xperia play, maybe when WP8 comes around.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
X-Phone sounds too corny and doesnt sound right. It would not make sense, especially for MS to have windows 8, windows 8 tablet, X-phone? wont work.

If they plan to integrate all together, it makes perfect sense to use the Windows Brand. I am glad they use the Windows name (although they shat on the name with windows mobile), it just makes sense to label another Operating System for mobile as Windows. The Windows brand is synonymous for Operating Systems and should keep it that way. The services on the other hand could use the XBox Branding.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
X-Phone sounds too corny and doesnt sound right. It would not make sense, especially for MS to have windows 8, windows 8 tablet, X-phone? wont work.

If they plan to integrate all together, it makes perfect sense to use the Windows Brand. I am glad they use the Windows name (although they shat on the name with windows mobile), it just makes sense to label another Operating System for mobile as Windows. The Windows brand is synonymous for Operating Systems and should keep it that way. The services on the other hand could use the XBox Branding.

Well, in that case if they will keep running with the Windows brand, they better start cramming it to every medium they can. TV, web, newspapers, magazines, etc. Maybe even a spot on new upcoming movie previews. Or like the commercials before the previews. But they need to get their selling points across better. Maybe someone Samsung bashing people waiting in line for iphone-ish type of way.

Friend: Hey what's that there?
Me: Oh it's my new phone check it out.
Friend: Is it better than an iphone?
Me: It depends. Can you customize your screen to get a lot of information at a glance like this?
Friend: Not really, but it's an iphone.
Me: Whats the top story on CNN now?
Friend: Gimme a second or two...
Me: Done. top story is (then I show him the phone)
Friend: ......
Me: If you want to save yourself some time while getting the latest and greatest on whats happening in the world, check out the new Windows Phones.

Something similar to this kinda happened. My wife didn't know the latest on the Trayvon Martin thing. It was on the news and she was like "what? he's getting a trial?"
I was like, damn girl that was so 29 seconds ago. Like no lie....the commercial ATT put out truly come to life with windows phones.

JR A

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
You need to stand your ground.

And when someone says something like, "Blehh, but it's a Windows Phone..."

You need to toughen up and reply "Yeah, that's the reason why I bought it."

Don't take no crap from them damn iOS and Android junk food eating bullies. Show em the goods with your health fruit WP!

And so what if we feel like heretics or blasphemers. I take pride in that. It seems all the greats in history were once called that in the beginning...

:cool:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol. Oh I stand my ground. Especially against my brother...he's a trip. I see people peaking over my shoulder at the train stations sometimes too. I'm sure it will catch on. Especially with Apollo. What will the boosting advertisements be like then? I mean, Nokia is going all out now. Can't flip a public channel without seeing a smartphone beta test every 30 minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos