I feel like a heretic, outcast, or blasphemer because I like WP7

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
My phones all new and still shiny as I take it out of my pocket. A few coworkers saw my new phone and it peeked their interest a bit. Then I told them it was a Nokia WP7 phone. They were like bleh...windows. I told them that I finally took the risk and made the plunge and surprisingly (or not) it's actually pretty nice despite some minor short comings that I'm hoping will soon be fixed. They responded with, "Yeah, but it's a Microsoft product." These guys are owners of iphones and androids of course.

On top of that everywhere else I go on some tech news blog, in the comments section there are avid Android/iphone users that acted like WP7 shot their dog and kick their cats. Some of which have never used them. Some were early adopters of WP7 and switched. But fixes are being made all the time on some minor fronts and soon on some major front. ****, there are even people on these forums that weren't aware of some things that have been fixed.

Of course I know that me owning a WP7 device that I am part of a small minority, but man some people hate for other people to simply enjoy their own device for their own experience.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten comments a few times about owning a WP7 phone. "I think you are the only one i know that owns one"....

I had a conversation at work about getting the new nokia where i had to sell my focus S and use my iphone 2g again until nokia released. My coworker saw and said "oh you caved in"... :straight: I said no, i am using this cuz i sold my phoen and getting the new nokia phone. Then she said "oh" and proceeded to ask me why i am getting a wp7 phone instead of iphone/droid phone since everybody has those. I was explaining to her i had an iphone for 5 years and played around with droid phones to know that those phones are not for me.

So as i was explaining why i wanted to go windows, my other coworker chimes in and says "well, he has a bias against iphones" and i had this look :confused: . I just responded with "werent you listening? i had an iPhone (3 models) for five years! tell me how i am biased? if anything, i open to learning other platforms"

:blush: <---- him after that. I hate ****** judgement...

moral of the story is, you can't like two things, you have to pick one or the other....

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I love having something a bit different. Plus, if I let them use it a bit, they always at the very least appreaciate it, especially if i tailor the intro to them. For example, a girl recently at the gym who was listening to music asked what I was using, I think she thought it was an mp3 player. I showed it to her, she had the usual indifferent response, and then I showed her the zune player, and how it had a bio/related artists section, and how if I liked a song, I could just download it and now it's on my device, etc. She flipped!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I love having something a bit different. Plus, if I let them use it a bit, they always at the very least appreaciate it, especially if i tailor the intro to them. For example, a girl recently at the gym who was listening to music asked what I was using, I think she thought it was an mp3 player. I showed it to her, she had the usual indifferent response, and then I showed her the zune player, and how it had a bio/related artists section, and how if I liked a song, I could just download it and now it's on my device, etc. She flipped!

She wanted your balls...

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing. Who asks people at the gym what they are using. Lol. Dude is something like a pimp. Lol.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Either a pimp or a derp, depending if he got the digits or not or friended her on facebook...Saga continues.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Just tell them you don't have to worry about lag, malware, or a 5 year old boring UI, they'll hush up.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to miss A LOT about my Android phone. Not the OS but the customization and amount of apps. I will get over that. The overall user experience and the excitement of getting onboard at the beginning is going to be like Android all over again. That's what really excites me the most. All I needed was the network improvement to help me switch.

Hello LTE here I come!

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just what did Microsoft do in the US?? I honestly can't workout this bizarre ****** culture.

:confused:

It's just cool to hate Microsoft (and Windows) here. But not everyone loves the Xbox, just talk to a Playstation person.

What's cracks me the most are the people at work who insist they are Mac for life. The only programs I see them using are MS Office and then they complain they have to use webmail because they can't use Outlook.

Honestly Microsoft should have left the name Windows out of their phone. That is alone is hurting them. People hear Windows and don't think good things. Even though Windows 7 is a fine product.

They should have called it the Xphone. Could release a Halo edition that would probably outsell the iPhone.

trumpet116

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's just cool to hate Microsoft (and Windows) here. But not everyone loves the Xbox, just talk to a Playstation person.

What's cracks me the most are the people at work who insist they are Mac for life. The only programs I see them using are MS Office and then they complain they have to use webmail because they can't use Outlook.

Honestly Microsoft should have left the name Windows out of their phone. That is alone is hurting them. People hear Windows and don't think good things. Even though Windows 7 is a fine product.

They should have called it the Xphone. Could release a Halo edition that would probably outsell the iPhone.
YES! Calling it a Windows Phone was so stupid! Everyone knows that Windows isn't seen as "cool," so who at Microsoft decided WINDOWS phone would sell...?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've also wondered if Zune should change its name to "Xbox music service." There's so much positive brand equity in the Xbox name, and "Zune" sounds like "dodo bird" to a lot of people, that I think that alone would help. I love being a Zune subscriber, but people always raise an eyebrow when I say the word.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
YES! Calling it a Windows Phone was so stupid! Everyone knows that Windows isn't seen as "cool," so who at Microsoft decided WINDOWS phone would sell...?

What best way to clear up the Windows name and make it cool, if not with great products like Windows Phone?

I do agree with you, the Xbox gets a free ride from not having the Windows name on it.

But I think there's too much weight on the Windows name for Microsoft to simply abandon it. Windows Phone is a version of Windows CE, and with Apollo it's going to share the same kernel of Windows 8.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Apple has iDevices and Microsoft could have xDevices.

But I do agree. Windows despite not being "cool" is a force that cannot be shaken. Mobile may be so hot right now but the desktop isn't going away any time soon.

I hope they bring it together with Windows 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)