What's the difference?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Nokia's new phone looks nice but Im just wondering..
Why would anyone get the Lumia if they already have a windows phone..especially when wp8 is around the corner? The OS is portrayed exactly the same as every other windows phone. The only difference is the casing.
What's the point in having all these different phone models and brands, when there is nothing specific about the OS to a particular model or brand? They're basically just different shapes of wp7 and the Lumia, as nice as it is, is just another shape..
In this sense, Microsoft should just make one mega windows phone sold by all the carriers.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm bored with my old focus. I wanted a change. It has a bigger screen, faster processor, and it's 4g/LTE.
The same question could be asked of anyone buying a new iPhone. They really haven't changed the basics for 5 years. (I switched from the iPhone to WP7 when they first came out)

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Because Microsoft has said before they don't want to be in the phone hardware manufacturing business...letting Nokia, HTC, Samsung, LG, etc. do it for them saves them time and money.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you want an Android experience where although different phones have different features, you're twiddling your thumbs trying to get updates?

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Why would anyone get the Lumia if they already have a windows phone..especially when wp8 is around the corner?

I have no idea. Maybe the main intended market is people who don't already have a Windows phone.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Why would anyone get the Lumia if they already have a windows phone..especially when wp8 is around the corner? The OS is portrayed exactly the same as every other windows phone. The only difference is the casing.
What's the point in having all these different phone models and brands, when there is nothing specific about the OS to a particular model or brand? They're basically just different shapes of wp7 and the Lumia, as nice as it is, is just another shape..
In this sense, Microsoft should just make one mega windows phone sold by all the carriers.

I went from a Focus to the Lumia because I wanted a bigger and better screen, 4G LTE, voice navigation, and a better camera. I'm not sure I got a better camera but the screen is better with the clear black technology. I'm actually able to see it outdoors now. 4G is definitely better. I've noticed a big improvement in streaming music apps. I haven't tried Nokia Drive yet but I will soon. Oh most importantly, the phone is sexy! :)

I know WP8 is around the corner but I figured buying the Nokia Lumia 900 will stop me from buying the first WP8 available that might not necessarily be the best one. By the time I'm do for an upgrade I will have more phones to choose from at lower prices. And who knows, maybe my Lumia 900 will be able to run WP8 to some extent.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I know WP8 is around the corner but I figured buying the Nokia Lumia 900 will stop me from buying the first WP8 available that might not necessarily be the best one. By the time I'm do for an upgrade I will have more phones to choose from at lower prices. And who knows, maybe my Lumia 900 will be able to run WP8 to some extent.

It will most definitely be able to run WP8. I think what the thread starter means by it is the possibility of: hi-res screens, expandable storage, 1080p recording, dual-core processors, more NFC availability. These are hardware things that cannot be obtained with a software update to WP8.

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
well

i want a bigger screen than my current 3.7 inch.Even with my reading glasses its too small to watch netflix etc. More storage than my current 8gb and a better camera. But yes, i'm not expecting any difference other than that and a few device/manufacturer specific apps.

its also nice to have a shiny new toy to replace the one with the dent/scratch where i dropped it at the bus stop.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Focus and checking out the Lumia I see that OEM specific ecosystem matters A LOT. Nokia's dedication to fixing their handsets and their apps are big reasons to choose the Lumia over the Focus S or Titan.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the lumia has a better processor as well, i know it has a better battery, better screen as well. The camera is not on par with the focus S though, but everything else seems to be better.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the lumia has a better processor as well, i know it has a better battery, better screen as well. The camera is not on par with the focus S though, but everything else seems to be better.

The processors on the Titan/II are overclocked and slightly beat out the competition on WP Bench.

7944f870e16980a2.png

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I went from a Focus to the Lumia because I wanted a bigger and better screen, 4G LTE, voice navigation, and a better camera. I'm not sure I got a better camera but the screen is better with the clear black technology. I'm actually able to see it outdoors now. 4G is definitely better. I've noticed a big improvement in streaming music apps. I haven't tried Nokia Drive yet but I will soon. Oh most importantly, the phone is sexy! :)

Ditto here!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
LTE BABY!!!

I'm coming from the Focus S so that combined with Nokia apps and build quality its a no brainier:excl:​

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Not to mention superior reception...

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Back on topic - I was contemplating the getting the Lumia 900 over my Focus S for the assumed better camera and for LTE connectivity. But with the lukewarm and sometimes negative reviews of the camera, I will hold off. Focus S serves me just fine, looking forward to Apollo devices.

That will probably be for the best :3 save your money for a bigger upgrade.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Three reasons: LTE speeds, bigger and beautiful screen (too big for me), and it just looks cool.

I have the Trophy and love the size and the speed of the OS is pretty much the same as the Lumia. Even if the Lumia 900 came to Verizon, I wouldn't get it. But I'm glad it is selling well because that is good for all WP users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb