What's an ideal size phone for you?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I ask this because 3 times this week when I showed my Lumia 900 to friends, they claimed it was too big. 2 of them didn't care for it, one actually like the windows phone but it was too big for her liking. Could the size play a big part as to what phones consumers buy? I mean if people want small phones, then I see why they are going the way of iphones. lol. I like a 4.3 in screen. It's ideal for me, although I do think the lumia 900 has a bit of wasted space on it. Especially when you compare it to the similarly sized titan 2. They probably could have either made a bigger screen or smaller phone altogether.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I like the 4.7in screen of the Titan/Titan II. Felt great in my hands and I like the extra real estate when watching videos. I'm using a 4.3in now with the Bionic, so the Lumia 900 will be more of the same when it gets here today. However, something like the Galaxy Note as a phone would be way too big for me. If I was an NBA player, then maybe, but no.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
When I look at things like the titan phones or the galaxy nexus, I see that Nokia has a good .2 inches or so of wasted space. Not to mention the home screen has that arrow that wastes another 20 percent. I know thats just an indicator that you can swipe that direction, but i hope they make it an option to take it out so my live tiles can show a little more info on headlines. Not a big deal though.

As far as the screens on an iphone go, I sometimes wondered why I got used to looking at vids on that small screen. And at the time they weren't even HD. And typing on something that small was hard for me. Had that iphone 4 and the droid incredible 2. Liked both of them. Especially the Droid Inc 2, but i couldn't type worth a damn because of my manly hands. lol. i think whatever typing tech or whatever WP7 devices use help this typing thing out alot. I tested an HTC trophy and i was amazed at how good I typed on that small screen.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I find the Lumia 900 to be just a tab bit large to comfortably hold one handed sometimes. Going back to the iPhone now is difficult and feels incredibly small.

I think the perfect size for me would be a 4 inch screen.

Anything larger than the Lumia though I could not possibly imagine handling. The Lumia 900 is the biggest I would ever get.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't use a smartphone as a phone much. It's texting and data more than anything. So I like bigger screens. It does need to fit in a pocket though.

Last edited:

Jared DiPane

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I have found the "perfect" size yet. I like the 3.5-inch form factor of the iPhone, but I also seem to like some 4 inch devices.

I think thickness has a lot to do with it, and overall feel. I can adjust to the size as long as the device as a whole feels good in the hands.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
4.3 inch is the standard for me now. There's absolutely no way I could go back to anything smaller....

.... the main reason I currently don't own a Lumia 800.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
3.7 inch is the perfect size for me, not too big, not too small, easy to type on, easy to ready from. Anything with a bigger screen just feels wrong in my hands and looks silly in my pockets. I've tried several 4.3 inch phones out in stores and ones my friends own and just can't buy into it at all.

Another factor is the thinness, I don't want one that's too thin, I like a bit of heft in a mobile. Combined with good materials and build quality, a bit of weight really adds to my enjoyment of a device.

Which is why I own a Lumia 800.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
3.7 inch is the perfect size for me, not too big, not too small, easy to type on, easy to ready from. Anything with a bigger screen just feels wrong in my hands and looks silly in my pockets. I've tried several 4.3 inch phones out in stores and ones my friends own and just can't buy into it at all.

Another factor is the thinness, I don't want one that's too thin, I like a bit of heft in a mobile. Combined with good materials and build quality, a bit of weight really adds to my enjoyment of a device.

Which is why I own a Lumia 800.

I would bet a HTC Titan is more comfortable in your pocket than a L800.

Just saying. :)

Another personal preference for me is that I'm a sucker for a bit of Netflix in bed. Bose Quiet Comfort 3's, Windows Phone propped up on my duvet, and an old classic to watch whilst I'm as snug as a bug in a rug.... bliss. :D

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I have found the "perfect" size yet. I like the 3.5-inch form factor of the iPhone, but I also seem to like some 4 inch devices.

I think thickness has a lot to do with it, and overall feel. I can adjust to the size as long as the device as a whole feels good in the hands.
lmaooooooooo.... you did that on purpose. lol.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I thought 3.8", until I got my L900. Not as big as I expected. Took a day to get comfortable with the new size. Now I am ready for a 10" W8 slate.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I ask this because 3 times this week when I showed my Lumia 900 to friends, they claimed it was too big. 2 of them didn't care for it, one actually like the windows phone but it was too big for her liking. Could the size play a big part as to what phones consumers buy? I mean if people want small phones, then I see why they are going the way of iphones. lol. I like a 4.3 in screen. It's ideal for me, although I do think the lumia 900 has a bit of wasted space on it. Especially when you compare it to the similarly sized titan 2. They probably could have either made a bigger screen or smaller phone altogether.
10 inch! Let's face it the tablet IS the new smartphone. For the past couple of years I've gotten along with my little Pre but I've been yearning for a bigger screen. The answer came when I bought my Touchpad. If HP had brains they would have included phone guts in the Touchpads design and BOOM! They would have sold like hotcakes. All the activites I did with my Pre is now done with the Touchpad, the Pre just serves as a hotspot. I already carry my tablet everywhere I go so if it had phone guts I could just add a bluetooth and it's a win-win!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I like the size of the titan. I just finished playing with a Galaxy Note, and my God, it's too big.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I love a 4.3 in screen, but at this point, the thing drawing me to Nokia more than anything is the different and interesting design. HTC has been a great smartphone company for me, but even if the Lumia 900 was a 3.7 in screen like the 800 I would probably go for it anyway because the HTC phones are all black and grey and boring.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking 4" might be perfect, but I've never had a 4" phone so I can't tell for sure.

The iPhone screen is definitely TOO small for me.

My Lumia 900's 4.3" screen is great, but overall the phone is just a little bigger than I'd like, it's not quite as comfortable to use one-handed as I'd like to be, and while it's thin and light, it's still takes up a little more pocket real estate than I'd like.

If they could find a way to chop about 1/2 an inch in length off the phone and make it maybe 0.25" narrower, it would be PERFECT for me.

But I'm not complaining, overall this phone is brilliant and I love the design. Wouldn't trade it for anything else out there right now. Nokia did a superb job on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster