How to transfer videos/music WITHOUT using Zune?

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a new Windows phone. I've had very few issues, except one which is getting Zune to work with the phone. I have tried every option to get Zune to work with the phone, and in short, it is quite clear that it never will, at least with the amount of time that I have to put into it. In short, the computer runs Windows 2003, and I did manage to get Windows Media Player 11 installed along with Zune, but Zune won't recognize the device.

That said, is there any way I can send music or videos to and from my phone without Zune?

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I believe it could be the OS. I got mine to work on XP SP3 which is listed as compatible. Not so sure yours is. May want to start there.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Are you running Server 2003, becaue there isn't any Windows 2003. I doubt that Zune will work on either one and short of emailing your self the files, or maybe some way with SkyDrive, I don't think you can get them on there.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I believe it could be the OS. I got mine to work on XP SP3 which is listed as compatible. Not so sure yours is. May want to start there.

+1 for Skydrive

I'm not aware of a way to do it without Zune outside of Skydrive. Your original assessment is correct though. I doubt you would ever get it to work since the drivers probably don't support Windows Server much less a version that was last updated 5 years ago.

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you running Server 2003, becaue there isn't any Windows 2003. I doubt that Zune will work on either one and short of emailing your self the files, or maybe some way with SkyDrive, I don't think you can get them on there.

I can't send videos, unfortunately. And yes I am running Server 2003. After an installation hack with Orca, Zune itself works perfectly. I installed the driver for my phone, but Zune still does not recognize it. I'm not sure what I missed.

This computer is old, but running Server 2003 it runs great, but running Windows 7/Vista, not so much. I'm not about to make the computer useless to get Zune and the phone talking, or upgrade just because of it at this point in time.

So let's assume Zune does not work.

There really is no other way?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I can't send videos, unfortunately. And yes I am running Server 2003. After an installation hack with Orca, Zune itself works perfectly. I installed the driver for my phone, but Zune still does not recognize it. I'm not sure what I missed.

This computer is old, but running Server 2003 it runs great, but running Windows 7/Vista, not so much. I'm not about to make the computer useless to get Zune and the phone talking, or upgrade just because of it at this point in time.

So let's assume Zune does not work.

There really is no other way?

RAM modules can't be that expensive,buy an extra gig and then install win7 or the win8 consumer preview and you're good to go.

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
RAM modules can't be that expensive,buy an extra gig and then install win7 or the win8 consumer preview and you're good to go.

I have enough RAM. Windows 7 is just slow. HD access is pathetic, no matter how many drives you add to the RAID 0 array. 2008 server is fine.

So I guess nobody really wants to answer the question?

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have enough RAM. Windows 7 is just slow. HD access is pathetic, no matter how many drives you add to the RAID 0 array. 2008 server is fine.

It isn't bad with an SSD :D

Skydrive is your only bet that I know of...If you have a portable drive with your music and a nice friend, you could always use a friend's PC.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Syncing musics and videos via Zune is annoying to me. The trick I use is to "enable" USB drive mode for my phone:
Windows Phone 7 USB Mass Storage Hack

However, please note that I'm not sure if this workaround works for you. It might not because your machine doesn't recognize the device in the first place.

That may or may not work for him. In one post he says he has windows 2003 in another post he says he has windows 2008. I am not sure he knows what he's running. If he's running windows 2003 he probably only has USB 1.0 or 1.1 support

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
He needs a dumb phone... j/k! No seriously, I would do the SkyDrive thing. That's your only option other than buying a new PC or installing a Windows7/8 Consumer Preview. Also, just for ****s and giggles, connect your phone to a modern PC and make sure it works. My wife's Samsung Focus micro USB port stopped working and I went through **** and high water trying to get it work before I realized it was the micro USB port.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
even if he got it to detect mass storage (sometimes working and mostly not is an issue with W2K3) the next hurdle is the waiting all day for the ungodly slow transfer speeds

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

If you are running Server 2003, I'm going to assume you are somewhat computer literate. Have you tried a VM with an XP or 7 install?

The list of software incompatibilities with Server 2003 is pretty long. I'm surprised you've made it this far. Good job.

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
If you are running Server 2003, I'm going to assume you are somewhat computer literate. Have you tried a VM with an XP or 7 install?

The list of software incompatibilities with Server 2003 is pretty long. I'm surprised you've made it this far. Good job.

I already had WMP11 installed. And configured to use Windows Media Sharing to stream to the Xbox. The latter was the hard part, having to install SSDP and UPNP wasn't easy (until the second time I did it when I found someone's rundown on how to do it). Installing Zune itself was pretty effortless as well.

I could probably figure out this issue with a dependency list myself, but now I don't have time to toy with stuff like that anymore.

I have got the sync working on a Windows 7 laptop, so it's not an issue with the phone.
Two other complications -- I moved in with my girlfriend and my computer is still at my mom's. I have been waiting until I can get someone with a truck to move the desk. That runs 2008 server (which I kind of need for my personal development projects), and while there may be some install check edits needed to install Zune, everything else should just work as expected.

The other problem is the CD ROM drives won't ever open on this thing. It doesn't make sense to replace one at this point, as I won't need this computer once I get mine. I have a copy of 2008 server and countless copies of Vista (I got more free as "promos" at launch time than anyone could ever possibly use) I could use, but hopefully I will have my own computer before I get this thing completely setup and re-formatted again.

The work laptop is actually somewhat new but it takes 15-30 minutes to boot and be usable and also has issues talking to the home PC due to the work domain+network config (long story) so in short, that really doesn't work too well for me.

At this point I do believe I have everything installed that I need, but there is probably some stupid configuration error somewhere. Perhaps something with user profiles or something fairly stupid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo