How to transfer videos/music WITHOUT using Zune?

andruthetech

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
You might have better luck just running Linux.

I have Ubuntu 11.10 and it can not see the Lumia 800 other than just charging via USB. Skydrive seems like the only solution without Zune.

The only thing I miss about Android or BB: no proprietory app needed to read the phone. However, the pluses of WP7 out weigh the single minus over-all :cool:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have Ubuntu 11.10 and it can not see the Lumia 800 other than just charging via USB. Skydrive seems like the only solution without Zune.

The only thing I miss about Android or BB: no proprietory app needed to read the phone. However, the pluses of WP7 out weigh the single minus over-all :cool:

I was playing with Linux and my Trophy. It can see my Trophy:

palandri-1215T palandri # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 045e:04ec Microsoft Corp. Windows Phone (Zune)
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 13d3:5702 IMC Networks
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 13d3:3315 IMC Networks
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
palandri-1215T palandri #

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
That may or may not work for him. In one post he says he has windows 2003 in another post he says he has windows 2008. I am not sure he knows what he's running. If he's running windows 2003 he probably only has USB 1.0 or 1.1 support

I have USB 2.0. And it installed the drivers just fine, but Zune does not like them. USB support should in theory work too.

I have Windows 2008 Server on my computer which I still have not moved yet. In short, I'm waiting to move a computer desk and I'm not about to move my computer only to rearrange the room again. If you saw the small desk I have now, you'd understand what a PITA it is.

As it turns out, I was using zune to view my videos, which did not give me an option to upload to skydrive, When I go through pictures, the send to Skydrive option is there and that will be good enough for me until I can get my computer.

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
even if he got it to detect mass storage (sometimes working and mostly not is an issue with W2K3) the next hurdle is the waiting all day for the ungodly slow transfer speeds

It wouldn't be any slower on Windows server 2003 than on any other version of Windows. It should be faster than 7/Vista based on their history with poor drive access anyway.

Anyway, I can upload to Skydrive if I go to the pictures menu and don't use Zune. I kept using Zune and not having an option, and the Skydrive app won't let me select videos to upload so I did not think I could. Sooner or later, I will get my own computer and I believe I will be able to get it working with Windows 2008 server a lot easier.

I'm new to the WinPhone I agree that I like how the Android is plug and play with USB on any computer for sure, but I really do like my Windows Phone so much better than any Android I've ever used there really is no comparison.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't be any slower on Windows server 2003 than on any other version of Windows. It should be faster than 7/Vista based on their history with poor drive access anyway.

Anyway, I can upload to Skydrive if I go to the pictures menu and don't use Zune. I kept using Zune and not having an option, and the Skydrive app won't let me select videos to upload so I did not think I could. Sooner or later, I will get my own computer and I believe I will be able to get it working with Windows 2008 server a lot easier.

I'm new to the WinPhone I agree that I like how the Android is plug and play with USB on any computer for sure, but I really do like my Windows Phone so much better than any Android I've ever used there really is no comparison.

I've heard of this issue. This is just generalizing the problem. For a very large amount of people its PIO issue, people using SMART, Avira was a well known culprit, BIOS settings, etc.

here is HD tune on my Windows 7 X64 setup.

HD Tune Pro: WDC WD1600AAJS-00B4A Benchmark

Test capacity: full <- 160gb

Read transfer rate
Transfer Rate Minimum : 45.5 MB/s
Transfer Rate Maximum : 111.2 MB/s
Transfer Rate Average : 89.7 MB/s
Access Time : 15.9 ms
Burst Rate : 173.5 MB/s
CPU Usage : 4.0%

Feel free to compare this to Windows XP Sp2 benchmarks.

I'll get you started.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2165/3

As for that USB hack be careful what you do. If you ever use that phone with Zune after using the USB hack it has potential to cause Zune to throw a fit.

Last edited:

fps_dean

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of this issue. This is just generalizing the problem. For a very large amount of people its PIO issue, people using SMART, Avira was a well known culprit, BIOS settings, etc.

here is HD tune on my Windows 7 X64 setup.

HD Tune Pro: WDC WD1600AAJS-00B4A Benchmark

Test capacity: full <- 160gb

Read transfer rate
Transfer Rate Minimum : 45.5 MB/s
Transfer Rate Maximum : 111.2 MB/s
Transfer Rate Average : 89.7 MB/s
Access Time : 15.9 ms
Burst Rate : 173.5 MB/s
CPU Usage : 4.0%

Feel free to compare this to Windows XP Sp2 benchmarks.

I'll get you started.

AnandTech - Western Digital WD1600AAJS: 160GB Served on Single Platter

As for that USB hack be careful what you do. If you ever use that phone with Zune after using the USB hack it has potential to cause Zune to throw a fit.

Motherboards / drive controllers can play a huge part in drive speed, as well as the CPU. Even more so with RAID. You can't just compare to some guys review of XP and assume it's faster because yours is faster. In short, I almost always get better numbers than reviews of the same drives. Does this mean I'm comparing apples to apples? When done on the same hardware with the same exact settings, Windows 7 and Vistas lose pretty badly in comparison to XP or server editions. I've even done some tests myself across OS's, and can verify. Granted, this is also assuming drivers are equal as well. Newer hardware may never see the best driver support for XP/2003.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Motherboards / drive controllers can play a huge part in drive speed, as well as the CPU. Even more so with RAID. You can't just compare to some guys review of XP and assume it's faster because yours is faster. In short, I almost always get better numbers than reviews of the same drives. Does this mean I'm comparing apples to apples? When done on the same hardware with the same exact settings, Windows 7 and Vistas lose pretty badly in comparison to XP or server editions. I've even done some tests myself across OS's, and can verify. Granted, this is also assuming drivers are equal as well. Newer hardware may never see the best driver support for XP/2003.

So if I install Windows 7 on my 486 should I be surprised that Windows 95 still runs better?

Paillon_libre

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Just some debriefing of my own attempts to use a WP 7.8 (samsung omnia) in "raw usb mode", with several PCs. (Partial success).
I assume you are aware of the usb mass storage drivers for WP 7 that are available, independently of Zune. If not, look into softpedia drivers there. (Both 32 and 64bits versions available).

- Install the correct driver for your PC os. Given that, your phone should be recognized when plugged. I got this working on XP, Vista x64 SP1, and Seven x64.

- Further, you need the registry hack already mentioned to make the device visible in the explorer. Be aware that the registry hack alone is not enough: you need the driver part, either coming from a previous Zune install or from the above shortcut.

You end up being able to browse your phone and try some copy/paste. That works mostly well for pictures (the "official" phone directories have just numbers, probably better not to change them, but you can add your own directories and the phone os get them ok). Editing pictures that are on the phone storage from your PC is not ok. (only copy/paste/thumbnailing is fine, but that's already something).

For music it is a mess because Zune is not only copying / syncing (... very strangely sync actually) but it seems also to set up a database of album covers/ artists names one the phone itself. That part is not performed by the phone when you just copy your own music in the right place. (Nevertheless, it should happen when you download music from an official site like MPlace, although I never tried myself). I cannot figure out what else to do at that point. You end up listening to your music as "unknow artist" and without the covert art, so this part is only marginally satisfactory...

Codemeup

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
You may wirelessly transfer/copy music files to your Windows Phone via a web browser using the updated version 1.0.2.0 of Music Drop by Codeceptive Studios. The first version was great but the new one is even better! And what's best about this app: it's fast, efficient and most of all free ;-)

Codemeup

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
You may wirelessly transfer/copy music files to your Windows Phone via a web browser using the updated version 1.0.2.0 of Music Drop by Codeceptive Studios. The first version was great but the new one is even better! And what's best about this app: it's fast, efficient and most of all free ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb