WiFi To Stay Enable When Sleeping/Locked

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Let me just get this out first... I understand that it is a feature of Windows Phone 7 to turn off the WiFi radio when locked/sleeping, and I understand that this is an aggravation for those without data plans.

What I would like to know is, which applications can I run in the background to prevent this from happening? From what I am aware of, many users have reported that running the Spotify app in the background prevents the WiFi from disconnecting while sleeping, but I live in a Canada, where this app is not available to me. Which other apps can I use that will allow me to keep my WiFi enabled?

PS: I have tried TuneIn, Last.fm, and a few others that stated they could run under a locked screen, but the WiFi connection only remained connected when music was actually playing. I have also tried to disable my data connection, but this has not solved my issue and I would like to stay conneceted because send & recieve a lot of MMS messages.

Sorry for the essay! ;)

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Wifi connection goes off after lock screen. This is one of those things you can't override with an app. The apps you mentioned do run in the background as long as the OS keeps the connection alive.
The obvius question to folow is why does the OS drop the connection?
Simple, to save battery! That is the only reason.

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Dont enable wifi while you sleep, Disable your 3g connection by going to settings>cellular>Data Connection and toggle it off (there are also shortcuts for this)

You can still recieve calls and texts just no email, fb notifications etc but who cares your sleeping.

:)

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Dont enable wifi while you sleep, Disable your 3g connection by going to settings>cellular>Data Connection and toggle it off (there are also shortcuts for this)

You can still recieve calls and texts just no email, fb notifications etc but who cares your sleeping.

:)
I mean while the phone sleeps (is locked). While I sleep I just turn on airplane mode.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If you really need it on, then yea, the only way is through actively streaming music through TuneIn or the like :/

I'm curious about the specific conditions for WiFi to stay on. I doubt it would be impossible to create an app that would be cleverly crafted to keep it on (though it would probably have to be running in the foreground). Perhaps it will be harder to get one submitted to the Marketplace, but I can see a homebrew app that spoofs an external power connection.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Get a portable USB charger and a short micro-USB dongle. Charge while you move around and WiFi will stay on for you.

Your Data connection can cycle through 4 power states. So while sleeping and not receiving, it's at a very low power state, using almost 0 battery. WiFi is on or off. Having it on all the time, without slower source, would be a serious drain.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
If you really need it on, then yea, the only way is through actively streaming music through TuneIn or the like :/

I'm curious about the specific conditions for WiFi to stay on. I doubt it would be impossible to create an app that would be cleverly crafted to keep it on (though it would probably have to be running in the foreground). Perhaps it will be harder to get one submitted to the Marketplace, but I can see a homebrew app that spoofs an external power connection.
Someone PLEASE submit it to the marketplace like this:

1. Make a completely unrelated app.
2. Hide it somewhere clever in the app
3. Let me download the app before it gets pulled :D

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I could have used something to keep my WiFi alive while locked yesterday. Was stuck at the Bexar County Court house for jury duty. There was free WiFi available, however you had to go to a web page and log in with a generic user id/password each time you reconnected. I didn't want to log in every time I unlocked my phone, so I wound up leaving WiFi disconnected and just used my data connection.
What I don't understand, is how WiFi can drain the battery worse than your data connection. Both my webOS and iOS devices have/had better battery life if you were connected to WiFi. And none of them would disconnect when you locked the screen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
There needs to be a way to keep the wifi active. Now that we have internet sharing on the Trophy, when I'm using it for wifi access for my Kindle Fire, every time it goes to sleep, my wifi cuts off and I loose my connection on my Kindle Fire.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I stand corrected regarding my 5/4/12 post. After extensive testing, persistent WiFi (always on) will actually consume less power than your data radio, as data can remain in a low power state while WiFi does the heavy lifting.

To keep WiFi on all the time (without being plugged in to a power source) download iHeartRadio. Open the app, select a station, pause the music, and then close the app. Btw, you have to have WiFi turned on and connected first. Other apps like Skype appear to work similarly, but iHeartRadio is the only app I know which can be closed after WiFi gets locked on. Leaving the current routers range or plugging your phone in will reset the way WiFi works again.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

gilgaman

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Look up the app "Keep Alive" in the Marketplace, it works fine...Costs $0.99 . However, if you change background or listen to radio or music the app will automatically turn off, and the app must be manually turned on.. Hope I helped

Wasif Ahmed1

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Troubleshooting which i facing is My Tablet is Turned On on some Wifi Router like "TP-Link (TL-WR740N)" but it turned Off when Pattern Locked my tablet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb