All current Windows Phones are missing something...

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
At first I couldn't explain what, but then I was browsing through youtube and decided to watch a Nokia N9 review, and that made it clear to me: although the current batch of Windows Phones are good, it feels as if they've been done in a hurry, and they could have been a lot better. For example the Lumia 800 is a clone of the N9, and its being sold for the same price here in Europe, however, the N9 is a more refined phone, and dare I say, PERFECT in my eyes.

For example:
-The Lumia 800 doesn't have a front facing camera,
-The N9 has an LED indicator at the bottom,
-The N9 shows the clock+ notifications even when the phone's screen is off,
-Camera performance on the N9 is better than on the Lumia 800/900 even though the same optics and sensor are being used...

My point is that the N9 is proof that Nokia (and the other OEMs I'm sure) CAN do better! For Nokia, I think that the next perfect phone will come with WP8 , just because it's going to be built from ground up with WP in mind.

I'm not complaining about specs, dual core CPUs, NFC, higher resolution screens and better cameras (although some PureView would be great :p), it's just the end result, the all around experience that I'm talking

EDIT: Just noticed that I should have put this in the General Discussion forum... :S Anybody know how to move this thing?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My last Symbian device was an E71, back in 2009. There really weren't many devices running Symbian available in the US. I have no idea how good the Symbian devices were for the past 3 years.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The N9 isn't necessarily more "refined" than Windows Phone. The Lumia 800 vs N9 comparison only works for Nokia. It doesn't work for any of the other manufacturers. "All current Windows Phone" is wrong. Phones such as the HTC Titan have front facing cameras.

Ja doubt a Symbian phone can be better than a WP.
The N9 is a Meego Linux device.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ja doubt a Symbian phone can be better than a WP.

The N9 is the MeeGo phone.

To be fair, the N9 was in development forever, the Windows Phones were developed and released in less than a year! (1 year for the Lumia 900).

All round experience? It's best you go for Windows Phone, and people that got the N9 back in October are now realising this. Sure, the hardware is pretty, but the reason it's being sold at the same price as the Lumia 800 is because it's getting phased out and stores want to get rid of stock.

The N9 is a diamond in the rough, MeeGo took forever to mature and be released, and the problem with MeeGo is that is always going to be that way, that's why all other companies (not just Nokia) abandoned it.

No matter how much you polish it, it just won't shine. It's one of the reasons why Nokia is in a mess right now.

If you want my opinion, Nokia is taking everything that made the N9 hardware amazing, and putting Windows Phone 8 on it. There was just not enough time to do it with Windows Phone 7, you can't just take the N9 and stick WP7 in it, it doesn't work that way.

If Nokia waited any longer, their economic situation would get only worse. Sure, the Lumia 800/900 aren't the best Nokia can do. But they're a shining example of what they can do in a short time frame, and they're still fantastic products.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong guys, I prefer WP to Meego (and to Symbian, which I hate :p). I'm just saying that I can't wait for WP8 devices because Nokia will build them just for WP8. And if WP gets some marketshare, maybe the other OEMs will invest themselves more in WP, and also build devices that are specific to WP and not just a remake of android devices (not saying that all windows phones today are a remake).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
WP7 is just barely 2 years old, so it is still a baby in a lot of respects. I think Microsoft did the right thing however by trying to focus on the essentials and making sure they work as well as possible before adding more features. Basically the opposite of the Android approach of throwing everything in but the kitchen sink and reliability and sensibly organized UI be damned.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I believe with the n9 you cam sideload android or wp7 if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Problem is, the N9 is an uber Lumia 900 (minus LTE) in an 800 chassis.

It's what I actually wanted.

There's no benefit to having a Lumia 900 in terms of the increased size - you still get the standard WP7 res. Choose the 800? You get first-gen hardware. It's ridiculous.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Problem is, the N9 is an uber Lumia 900 (minus LTE) in an 800 chassis.

It's what I actually wanted.

There's no benefit to having a Lumia 900 in terms of the increased size - you still get the standard WP7 res. Choose the 800? You get first-gen hardware. It's ridiculous.

there's plenty of benefits, this is flawed reasoning.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
there's plenty of benefits, this is flawed reasoning.

How does having the same res in a giant size have any benefits on a phone? (unless you're sight-challenged, uncoordinated or just incredibly obese of course, but I'm not a four-eyes, all thumbs or fat)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos