Live Tile Issues

femanuele

May 24, 2012
Visit site
One more update. I managed to break all my background tasks again, but I have things figured out now. For me, it looks like the "magic number" of total background task apps is 22. If my list gets up to 22 apps, all the background tasks stop working. I uninstall one to get down to 21 and they all work again.

I still have no idea why but at least I sort of have things figured out, at least for my phone.
Nice to know, Thed. Then it changes every time (my number is 13/14), which in fact is a more likely scenario 'cause I suppose the real problem is in something that's left in the phone's registry after uninstalling apps (apps that use background agents, of course), so something we can't see in the Background Tasks list. Perhaps you installed more (or maybe less?) than me before that happened.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
@thed: Are you sure. I just checked and I have 23 background tasks (seriously), with 8 active and they all work fine. Only one that stopped for a while was Urban Dictionary and got an email from the dev the other day apologizing for the issue, so nothing to do with my phone. Based on the list I have probably been at 23 for about two weeks.

Just as an FYI, pull Like Tiles (scheduled), which are now called Background Tasks, never touched the registry or had an Endpoints issues. That's why apps like Weather Channel an Urban Dictionary continued to work pre-Mango, when all the others stopped. Anyone with Samsung device and root access can check the registry and clear this up. But I don't expect they will find anything.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

netoak

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
One more update. I managed to break all my background tasks again, but I have things figured out now. For me, it looks like the "magic number" of total background task apps is 22. If my list gets up to 22 apps, all the background tasks stop working. I uninstall one to get down to 21 and they all work again.

I still have no idea why but at least I sort of have things figured out, at least for my phone.

I was in the same situation and I could resolve in the same way. Tiles stop work suddenly, all of them in the same day, I uninstal some of them and now with 21 apps with background apps (only 9 active, the limit of my Lumia 800) everything start to work correctly.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
@jimski: Yes, I'm sure about this. It's really easy for me to reproduce. Happens like clockwork. I like to try new apps from the marketplace pretty often, and every time I download one that uses background tasks (to get to a total of 22) they all stop working. I uninstall something from the list and they all start working again. Happens every time. I'm fully convinced that it's an OS bug, albeit an obscure one. BTW, I'm not saying that 22 is the number for everyone. As femanuele said the "limit" for his/her phone is 14, so it's very possible that this is different for everyone.

And regarding the endpoints, I wasn't necessarily suggesting that it's somehow caused by issues with the registry, just that it kind of reminds me of that old issue.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
@thed: Ok, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up. So how many active background tasks can you have. My L900 limit is 9. Maybe there is a ratio.

anon(516601)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I get this on my HTC Titan! No matter what I do my live tiles will stop working eventually. I've learned to live without them now, I'm not resetting my device any more because it just happens again. Maybe Microsoft can fix this issue at some point, if not then they need to stop advertising Live Tiles as a feature of Windows Phone.

Background Task On Windows Phone Have A Limit - myWindowsPhone

That link was very helpful, but does that mean that applications run in the backround like they do in Android? One of the reasons I switched back to WP7 from Android was because I was fed up of having to press the back button constantly to back out of applications. I use Windows Phone like I use ios on my iPad - I just hit the home button when I've finished with an app, could that be causing me problems with the live tiles maybe?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
@thed: Ok, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up. So how many active background tasks can you have. My L900 limit is 9. Maybe there is a ratio.

I currently have only 5 active bg tasks. I'll try to do some testing this weekend to see how many I can have active, and if the number of active tasks has any effect on whether they work or not.

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I've never had this issue before on my HD7 since I got it last year and suddenly all my non Microsoft Tiles stopped updating a few days ago. Based on the info in this thread I've started uninstalling Apps to get my disabled background task off my list which was up to 28 applications. It's pretty ridiculous to have to uninstall Apps to get Live Tiles to work. I'm down to 22 and just waiting to see if any update. As far as active tiles I only have about 4 or 5.

cungdo

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem,
After watching a streaming movie from bloomberg app, the movie stuck and i had to hard reset (volume+onoff+camera button), after that i had to config date time, after that i notice that my live tiles does not updates anymore ( some of them in this case the battery and stock portofoli live tile).
I have searching for a solution for 2 days now and non of the reset or uninstall of the applications worked, also have switched on of the background task, non of these helped.
does anyone tried something new yet?.
(windows phone 8)

cungdo

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I have checked today and it seems to work again after uninstalling and reinstalling the app that stops updating the tiles.
I love my Nokia 920.

I have the same problem,
After watching a streaming movie from bloomberg app, the movie stuck and i had to hard reset (volume+onoff+camera button), after that i had to config date time, after that i notice that my live tiles does not updates anymore ( some of them in this case the battery and stock portofoli live tile).
I have searching for a solution for 2 days now and non of the reset or uninstall of the applications worked, also have switched on of the background task, non of these helped.
(windows phone 8)

LongLeggs

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem,
(windows phone 8)

I used seven eighter to update to 8862 and after going into settings and resetting the phone, notifications have all but gone now. I dont get notified of texts, twitter or facebook. I'm hoping when att actually releases 8862 it will solve the issues.

samcode7

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problems with third party apps after updating to 1308. Still have it. I've tried many ways I could find on the net (one of this is here 3th party live tile updating not working after upd... - Nokia Support Discussions), still doesn't resolve it. This doesn't happened only to the live tile but lock screen also.
It didn't bother me too much in the beginning as i don't use that many app with live tiles (only weave and weather app). But it's starting to get really annoying. It's like why would you buy and use a windows phone if the only exclusive feature on the platform is not working at all. The worst part is that, neither Nokia nor Microsoft are acknowledging the issues, let alone trying to fix this thing. If this keeps going, I might jump to blackberry! @_@

bbraune

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Sam, to fix the live tile problem you need to open every app that you don't have a live tile for and disable any and all background agents which include push notification, live tile support and lock screen control. Believe it or not, those options are most likely enabled by default even though there isn't a live tile pinned to your start menu. If you have too many apps working in the background, it prevents the apps that you do want to update. Try that and reply with the results.

samcode7

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I did try that. I blocked all the background agents i don't need. I always try to only have 5 background agents (only the one i really need), as this was suggested by weather flow app developer to me in order for the lock screen to work. but the problems persist.

bbraune

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
After over a month of the live tiles not updating on my 920 I finally got them working again. Here is what I did:

I had 72 apps listed under "advanced" Background tasks. Five of the apps do have live tiles on my start menu that I wanted to continue to be updated. I deleted 7 apps that I have never used. For the remaining 60 apps, I opened each app one at a time to clear out any initial warning messages. I then went into the settings of each app to disable push notifications, live tile updates, and/or lock screen control. (I left the location service enabled if available) None of these 60 apps were pinned to the start menu, but one or more of those settings were turned on by default. Once I hit the magic sweet spot, my five live tiles starting updating again. No phone restart/reboot was necessary. My Weather Channel live tile that wouldn't update unless I opened the app is now updating again and I haven't had to opened the app since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett