Simple method to copy MS Word doc to phone

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Upload it to your Skydrive. :)

EDIT: To add... I like to have most of my documents on my Skydrive so I can make amendments via the cloud.

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah some ask why can't they just plug in their phone to the computer, and to me that's extra work. :p It's easier to just dump to the cloud and let it do its job.

isleidyll

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
and for those of us who don't use Skydrive/Onedrive? I thought Windows was an "open" platform and Apple's proprietary. I hope after WP 8.1 is finalized that file sharing improves. Sending files as email attachments and downloading them to the WP is a kludge. The WP "Office" hub is not helpful for this nor is the new Files program.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
and for those of us who don't use Skydrive/Onedrive? I thought Windows was an "open" platform and Apple's proprietary. I hope after WP 8.1 is finalized that file sharing improves. Sending files as email attachments and downloading them to the WP is a kludge. The WP "Office" hub is not helpful for this nor is the new Files program.

The word "open" has deteriorated to a meaningless buzzword these days, so I have no idea which definition of the word you are using.

Whatever it is, I think one could argue MS is one of the most open companies, because they provide their services, including OneDrive, on all platforms! Their approach leads to a services ecosystem that is the least walled-in!

I'd say you should just use what works best! OneDrive is at least as good as the other options and is available on all platforms. If you are not using it, you're just artificially making your digital life more complicated. Instead of waiting for certain services to become available everywhere, which they never might, why not just use what is?

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

If you're on 8 or 8.1, you already have USB file sharing so I don't understand your gripe. OneDrive gives you the ability to share your files across all your devices regardless of platform so I still don't understand what you're complaining about. Microsoft can't make it any easier but you have to do your part and read the instructions.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For the record, Windows is not an open platform -not that this has anything to do with transferring files.

for the record, while it is not open source, desktop Windows is open in the way that its a platform that you can mod it as you see fit.
don't like 8's start screen? classic shell, start8...

want to change things up a bit? Rainmeter, the multitude of docks..., etc

don't like IE as many say? Boom, change up the default browser among others

just my two cents

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
for the record, while it is not open source, desktop Windows is open in the way that its a platform that you can mod it as you see fit.
don't like 8's start screen? classic shell, start8...

want to change things up a bit? Rainmeter, the multitude of docks..., etc

don't like IE as many say? Boom, change up the default browser among others

just my two cents

mmmmm, that's not open. that's installing applications.

let's keep open source defined as what it is: open source

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
For the record, Windows is not an open platform -not that this has anything to do with transferring files.

For the record, it depends on what you mean by "open".

Like I said, the word by itself, as you used it, means pretty much nothing without further qualification. If you mean "open source", no that WP is not, but neither are any of the other mobile OS' (Android is obviously the closest to being "open source" but for those parts that matter it isn't either).

let's keep open source defined as what it is: open source

Agree, but lets not pretend that the meaning of "open source" is widely understood either. On consumer tech sites the term has become a placeholder for any number of meanings.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What does open source have to do with file sharing?

A very rhetorical question indeed ;-)

Isleidyll thought "Windows was an 'open' platform", that should have no problem interfacing with other cloud storage services. That does have something to do with file sharing, but like I said, it is a use of the word "open" that is completely unrelated to 'open source'.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
For the record, it depends on what you mean by "open".

Like I said, the word by itself, as you used it, means pretty much nothing without further qualification. If you mean "open source", no that WP is not, but neither are any of the other mobile OS' (Android is obviously the closest to being "open source" but for those parts that matter it isn't either).

Agree, but lets not pretend that the meaning of "open source" is widely understood either. On consumer tech sites the term has become a placeholder for any number of meanings.

that's a good idea.... educate folks at the same time.

open is a buzz word, while open source refers to something very concrete and understandable:

o?pen-source

adjective

COMPUTING

adjective:*open-source

denoting software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
actually, a lot. you can share a file of source code that is open source, quite felt with the world, provided they are prepared to accept it.

The "file sharing" being mentioned in this thread has to do with moving files from one device to another, hence the phrase. In my book, file sharing goes beyond putting files in a cloud server or plugging into a USB port. Most companies don't allow either. Network Drive mapping hasn't been seen since Windows Mobile and it was native.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Post #6 opened the open matter here, contrasting "open" Windows to "proprietary" Apple, and postulated a rationale or logic for improving file sharing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs