Hey all -

Gosh this has been fun, got shot down at CostCo (other thread) - went to Target yesterday and the guy said he hadn't even put the phone out yet??? But he said to come back later and bring some old phones, that Target is offering $30 for traded in phones..

But can I ask a question? If I go in there and buy the phone (say I had 5 phones to trade) and take $150 off the phone - he said they could take that off the "buy outright" price. So I would conceivably be down to $300, then with the $100 credit... A $200 phone with - no contract? Do they do that?? To get the $100 credit, don't you need a contract? Does ATT offer monthly contracts vs 2 year contracts? I am on Virgin Mobile so this is all new to me.

And secondly - based on how price-prohibitive these contracts are, does anyone use the messaging program(s) available in lieu of the $20 texting? Just wondering.

Thanks

Glenn
    04-16-2012 09:55 AM
    You will still get the Nokia $100 credit as long as you have a AT&T, whether on contract or not, according to Nokia. You just have to get a Lumia 900 on or before the 21st of this month.

I would rather just get the $20 unlimited messaging since it comes with unlimited mins to any mobile on any carrier, just like how Sprint's plan works. And for me, I make a lot of calls and text messages to hundreds of people. Messaging apps aren't very convenient since I'd have to get hundreds of people to download and use that same app, all just for me.

I didn't know Target had that trade-in deal. I wonder how new the phones have to be. If that's the case, I got plenty of old Palm Treos lying around :D

Did the target guy mention they had to be on a specific network or a certain brand?
    04-16-2012 11:22 AM
    Hey all -

Gosh this has been fun, got shot down at CostCo (other thread) - went to Target yesterday and the guy said he hadn't even put the phone out yet??? But he said to come back later and bring some old phones, that Target is offering $30 for traded in phones..

But can I ask a question? If I go in there and buy the phone (say I had 5 phones to trade) and take $150 off the phone - he said they could take that off the "buy outright" price. So I would conceivably be down to $300, then with the $100 credit... A $200 phone with - no contract? Do they do that?? To get the $100 credit, don't you need a contract? Does ATT offer monthly contracts vs 2 year contracts? I am on Virgin Mobile so this is all new to me.

And secondly - based on how price-prohibitive these contracts are, does anyone use the messaging program(s) available in lieu of the $20 texting? Just wondering.

Thanks

Glenn
    The only thing I see that could go wrong with your what you believe may be the price you'll pay is the no-commitment pricing. Usually 3rd party retailers have a different price (usually higher) than corporate stores. They try to make money with or without contract purchases.
    04-16-2012 11:27 AM
    Since when was Target selling the 900? That's pretty cool if they are.
    04-16-2012 11:37 AM
    They are selling the 900. The price without contract was $450. He said it didn't matter what phone was being traded, it just had to work. He did say they are supposed to do ONE per phone but he didn't care if I had more.

Thanks for the replies. I want the 5gb of data and dont want to spend over $100 a month. Coming from virgin that seems otherworldly.
    04-16-2012 12:26 PM
    They are selling the 900. The price without contract was $450. He said it didn't matter what phone was being traded, it just had to work. He did say they are supposed to do ONE per phone but he didn't care if I had more.

Thanks for the replies. I want the 5gb of data and dont want to spend over $100 a month. Coming from virgin that seems otherworldly.
    If you're including tax, you're not gonna spend under $100.

$40 for the rate plan
    $20 for unl msg
    $30 for data
    Over $10 for taxes and "Other fees"

If you get rid of the unlimited msg plan, you have a shot, but there aren't any other plans aside from not having one at all.
    04-16-2012 02:05 PM

$40 for the rate plan
    $20 for unl msg
    $30 for data

If you get rid of the unlimited msg plan, you have a shot, but there aren't any other plans aside from not having one at all.
    I'm thinking the Viber or Kik apps can work, and I have a Google Voice number i can use.
    04-16-2012 02:22 PM
    Most of the time, the unsubsidized price of smartphones at 3rd party retailers is higher than it is at the carrier itself (or at least this is true with Verizon).
    04-16-2012 03:10 PM
    Since when was Target selling the 900? That's pretty cool if they are.
    They certainly are.
    Saw one on display this weekend while shopping there for a charging cable.
    04-16-2012 09:24 PM

$40 for the rate plan
    $20 for unl msg
    $30 for data

Man, I thought Canadian plans were expensive... I pay $55/month for unlimited MMS/SMS, 350 anytime minutes, free local evenings/weekends,unlimited nationwide calling to 10 numbers, and 5gb of data. (+$7 for caller id, which is a HUGE rip-off)
    04-16-2012 09:37 PM
    What happened to the $10/1000 message plan I currently have?

Btw, with the $30/Unlimited plan, $90.38.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-16-2012 09:56 PM
    Yeah, didn't realize the phone was $100 more at Target... Oh man.. The guy did let me trade in 5 phones though.
    04-17-2012 12:13 AM
    What happened to the $10/1000 message plan I currently have?

Btw, with the $30/Unlimited plan, $90.38.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    No longer exists. All or nothing with AT&T.
    04-17-2012 12:28 AM
    Yeah, didn't realize the phone was $100 more at Target... Oh man.. The guy did let me trade in 5 phones though.
    Yup... And I think that's still a deal. Best Buy = biggest rip offs when it comes to un-subsidized devices.
    04-17-2012 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD