Turning Off Toast Notifications

jctang

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't find a thread on this, so perhaps someone can answer this one real quick. When I was on an iPhone, I could change the notification message when I got a text message from displaying what the text says to just saying "Text from XYZ". Is there anyway to do this on WP?

Thanks!

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't find a thread on this, so perhaps someone can answer this one real quick. When I was on an iPhone, I could change the notification message when I got a text message from displaying what the text says to just saying "Text from XYZ". Is there anyway to do this on WP?

Thanks!
I don't believe there's a way to disable this. This is probably because, unlike the iOS notification that stays on the screen, the toast notification disappears after 5-10 seconds. Again, this is pure speculation as to why there's no way to disable toast notification on text messages. On a semi-related note, simply swipe the toast notification to the right to get rid of it immediately.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe there's a way to disable this. This is probably because, unlike the iOS notification that stays on the screen, the toast notification disappears after 5-10 seconds. Again, this is pure speculation as to why there's no way to disable toast notification on text messages. On a semi-related note, simply swipe the toast notification to the right to get rid of it immediately.

Just FYI, iOS notifications no longer remain on the screen as of iOS 5.0 and you can configure them to display in the middle or as banners at the top like WP7.

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This has really been an issue for me. It blows my mind MS hasn't added something in the settings menu to let users disable this. I love my phone and I love the OS. Trust me I would show it off a lot more but due to not being able to disable this feature I simply can't. Due to sensitive information that flashes across the top of my phone on a regular basis that is work related and I simply can't risk others seeing. I realize you can swipe it off the top of the phone but if someone else has my phone when this happens there isn't a whole lot I can do at that point. Hoping MS addresses this in 7.5

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hoping MS addresses this in 7.5

There has been no indication of this changing in Tango (7.5.1). It's unfortunate, but because its still a pretty immature product, there are a lot of these sorts of small options missing. Hopefully many of them will get addressed in Windows Phone 8

Devilstar

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
haha speaking of people seeing things you don't want, my gfs super religious mom was looking at my phone when my room mate texted me letting me know just how drunk out of his mind he was, yup.. The look on her face was priceless

Lemartino

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
There still isnt a way to disable toast notifications for SMS (Seriously microsoft??). I saw a section of the WP8 website where you can vote for them to add this feature to the next release.

For some applications you can go in the settings and disable the toats notifications but this is yet to be developped for messaging.

The best you can do at this point, when a toats appears, quickly swipe it to the right with your finger and it will disapear.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Toast Notifications of private messages (WP7& Wp8) fixed in GDR2?

i would show off my phone more if the phone wouldnt barf up my incoming text messages on screen.
please tell me this is now a toggle option in GDR2.

Hoping MS addresses this in 7.5
There has been no indication of this changing in Tango (7.5.1). It's unfortunate, but because its still a pretty immature product, there are a lot of these sorts of small options missing. Hopefully many of them will get addressed in Windows Phone 8.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7/190300-turning-off-toast-notifications.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6