5 Device Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymc932

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
MS just want you to register a new live account & buy all the apps for subsequent phones....I've been cheated in apps purchase before which is why I don't recommend WP7 to all my friends now. The proof....i bought PES2011 app & had to reset my phone for repair on the touchscreen. After the repair I couldn't reinstall the app as the publisher replaced with PES2012 which I am required to purchase. The old 2011 version was yank out of the marketplace & not available to previous purchasers....

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I used a WP7 phone when they launched, and bought an app. Then I used Android for two years and picked up a WP7 again. The app I bought was still there. You're the minority, sorry you had that happen. It wasn't MS though. This limit is pretty reasonable considering I could pay for only one Zune pass but use it on five devices.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
MS just want you to register a new live account & buy all the apps for subsequent phones....I've been cheated in apps purchase before which is why I don't recommend WP7 to all my friends now. The proof....i bought PES2011 app & had to reset my phone for repair on the touchscreen. After the repair I couldn't reinstall the app as the publisher replaced with PES2012 which I am required to purchase. The old 2011 version was yank out of the marketplace & not available to previous purchasers....
Yes, they want you to register a new Live account because it's unlikely a single person will have more than five devices in use. Being unable to delete old phones is obviously a bug and nothing to do with Microsoft's intent.

Major fallacy in your supposed "proof" - the PES issue is the fault of Konami for pulling the app. Sounds like you're grasping at straws in order to justify your trolling, please leave this forum if you are unable to contribute anything apart from lies and misconceptions.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
No, the "five device limit" is not at all "reasonable," especially when they broke the only way to remove a device and offer no clear path to resolution.

It's especially pathetic that the handset instructs you to solve the problem by using Zune, which has broken so the handset-recommended fix doesn't work.

They didn't even push out an update to Mango to eliminate references to Zune (which still wouldn't help in my case).

The ads say the smartphone beta test is over, but I feel very much like a beta-tester.

I shouldn't have to "send help tickets" and wait days, weeks or months for my phone to function properly.

I shouldn't have to search help databases only to see that the help articles on the issue refer to Zune before it was broken.

I shouldn't have to hope that someone at Microsoft's "online chat" will help me (during the limited times they're available).

I shouldn't have to sit and wonder what other part of the experience Microsoft will decide to break, without warning, next.

I shouldn't have to ask, when swapping out a phone (a very common occurrance) whether "this time" my phone will be rendered useless by an opaque Microsoft policy that cannot be changed... especially iinfuriating in the case of multiple broken devices.

I shouldn't have the fact that my phone doesn't work as advertised be dismissed as a "minority or uncommon problem" -- especially by a platform that cannot even hit 2% global share (and objects whenever someone describes the entire ecosystem as "minority or uncommon.")

That's why I left. User experience counts.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No, the "five device limit" is not at all "reasonable," especially when they broke the only way to remove a device and offer no clear path to resolution.

It's especially pathetic that the handset instructs you to solve the problem by using Zune, which has broken so the handset-recommended fix doesn't work.

They didn't even push out an update to Mango to eliminate references to Zune (which still wouldn't help in my case).

The ads say the smartphone beta test is over, but I feel very much like a beta-tester.

I shouldn't have to "send help tickets" and wait days, weeks or months for my phone to function properly.

I shouldn't have to search help databases only to see that the help articles on the issue refer to Zune before it was broken.

I shouldn't have to hope that someone at Microsoft's "online chat" will help me (during the limited times they're available).

I shouldn't have to sit and wonder what other part of the experience Microsoft will decide to break, without warning, next.

I shouldn't have to ask, when swapping out a phone (a very common occurrance) whether "this time" my phone will be rendered useless by an opaque Microsoft policy that cannot be changed... especially iinfuriating in the case of multiple broken devices.

I shouldn't have the fact that my phone doesn't work as advertised be dismissed as a "minority or uncommon problem" -- especially by a platform that cannot even hit 2% global share (and objects whenever someone describes the entire ecosystem as "minority or uncommon.")

Have you actually contacted Microsoft or Nokia support by phone for a resolution?

Zune support can fix this issue for you.

https://support.live.com/default.as...title=Billing+Accounts&{!}product=Zune&scrx=1

I can promise you, contacting Zune support will be much more effective than ranting all over forums like this one about why you shouldn't have to contact tech support.

You don't have to worry about it next time, as long as you follow the directions, which should be easy now that you know what they are in advance.

I agree completely that this is an arbitrary policy though. Microsoft could make it easier for everyone by just raising the limit to 25 devices, like Android.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I can see you haven't spent much time with iTunes..

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
All you came here to do is troll and spread hate about Windows Phone... On a Windows Phone forum! If you're not asking for help or contributing in some way, you should find another forum. People are offering solutions and you reject them and continue ranting. LEAVE

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Sure, Canesfan. You're probably right, my Windows Phone devices were most likely under the same section as my zune device, but they are no longer listed.

The registry hack may work; if I run into this problem again I will try it.

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If you have trouble with 5 devices...

Since I work with phones, my app limit gets filled very quickly. However, if you do a live chat with Microsoft online they will reset the limit for you, I think it take about an hour.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Sure, Canesfan. You're probably right, my Windows Phone devices were most likely under the same section as my zune device, but they are no longer listed.

The registry hack may work; if I run into this problem again I will try it.

I tried it for giggles. The registry addition adds the marketplace back to computers and devices.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to end this thread. I finally did hit the 5 device limit. I contacted support from this quote below. It took about 5-10 minutes while my device fixed itself. I had to do one reboot to get it to work.

It was quick and easy. Hopefully somebody will find this to be helpful, thank you Socialcarpet and the rest who contributed to this thread.

Have you actually contacted Microsoft or Nokia support by phone for a resolution?

Zune support can fix this issue for you.

https://support.live.com/default.as...title=Billing+Accounts&{!}product=Zune&scrx=1

I can promise you, contacting Zune support will be much more effective than ranting all over forums like this one about why you shouldn't have to contact tech support.

You don't have to worry about it next time, as long as you follow the directions, which should be easy now that you know what they are in advance.

I agree completely that this is an arbitrary policy though. Microsoft could make it easier for everyone by just raising the limit to 25 devices, like Android.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to end this thread. I finally did hit the 5 device limit. I contacted support from this quote below. It took about 5-10 minutes while my device fixed itself. I had to do one reboot to get it to work.

It was quick and easy. Hopefully somebody will find this to be helpful, thank you Socialcarpet and the rest who contributed to this thread.
No one should complain about people complaining. Microsoft should have fixed it now. Why are there so many loose ends? Go back to the $25 gift card MS gave out for people to buy apps. It is very good intent. What result has MS achieved. I spent it on my phone bills. Has anyone tried to use the gift card to purchase an that is over $25? From the marketplace, it is impossible to do that. MS should take all complaints and improve.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What are you talking about? All I said was there was a solution to the question that I posted. That's it, the other crap in the thread is about complaining, but there is a solution that is faster to than the time it took for some people to type out complaint post. From there without eve following suggestions, people are just trolling

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No one should complain about people complaining. Microsoft should have fixed it now. Why are there so many loose ends? Go back to the $25 gift card MS gave out for people to buy apps. It is very good intent. What result has MS achieved. I spent it on my phone bills. Has anyone tried to use the gift card to purchase an that is over $25? From the marketplace, it is impossible to do that. MS should take all complaints and improve.

This forum isn't Microsoft's complaint department.

Maybe people should complain to Microsoft instead of here.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven