Windows Phone 7.5 MANGO Complaints

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I think they really need to get developers to release their games onto the WP platform... I think people are really turned off by the fact that their favorite games or apps aren't on WP. There's just no incentive to switch over (from a general, non-technical standpoint).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I do appreciate you putting your concern in these forums we want you to be happy with your choice to go with WP. I think a flud of posts like yours have some veteran users of these forums on edge. We just don't want the differences in OS's to stear new people away from WP. Maybe if when pointing out the shortcomings in WP if you point out what you like about the OS you might get a more positive response. I hope you don't confuse our passion with anything else it is just that.

Well said.

I think the majority of us are completely open to constructive criticism and more than willing to try to help wherever we can. It's just tough when people post gripe threads with negative titles that just serve to fuel FUD over WP7.

This thread is definitely one of the more mild examples of that by far though and became fairly constructive overall.

I think if you truly want to see Windows Phone succeed though, complaints are probably best targeted at the people who can do something about them, i.e. Microsoft, developers, the OEM's and constructive criticism always goes further than complaining.

Think about it. You want to see Windows Phone succeed, but how does posting a list of complaints on a forum accomplish that?

Sure, there's a one in a 100,000,000 chance a Microsoft guy will read everything you wrote and act on it, but for every MS guy or developer that might read it and get something from this diatribe, you're sowing the seeds of FUD and potentially scaring off 1000's of curious newbs who are checking this site out to see if they want to buy a Windows Phone potentially, or convincing people who just did that they made a bad decision.

I think the best thing we can do to support the platform is to direct the constructive criticism at the right targets, and helpful, but realistic to friendly new users who might come here for info or support. Of course that should be done with a minimum of blowing sunshine up their butts and telling them the phone will be perfect. Setting unrealistic expectations will undermine Windows Phone almost as much as the FUD and freaking out will.

Just my 2 cents.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The top of the line Android phones are great, powerful devices which are very capable in some ways no smartphone has ever been before. They are a great choice for people who enjoy tinkering and like getting lost in the phone....but

My opinion is that the vast majority middle of the road and low-end Android devices are atrocious and nearly every average user would be better served by almost anything else. A Blackberry, an iPhone 3GS. A really good feature phone. At least those devices don't fail at basic dependability and being reliable communications devices and meeting their primary purpose just to pack in bogus bells and whistles and bloatware.

My opinion is that mid-pack and cheap Android devices are just pure crap, unreliable, cluttered junk. I think it says something about Google's integrity that they not only had a shill sit on Apple's board and poach their ideas, but then took virtually no responsibility for the end user experience and what Android turned into.

Android's popularity has far more to do with filling a huge void left by Apple's refusal to give iOS away to anyone who wanted it or compromise to make cheap phones than it does with it being a good product.

I will say that ICS is the first version of Android I've seen that actually looks like Google gave a crap about what the finished product looked like. It's pretty slick. But the broken Android model means almost every phone on sale now still comes with Gingerbread and the upgrade path is completely random and uncertain.

I think it serves a purpose, but I firmly believe that at least 80% of the people who get Android phones wind up with them because it's almost impossible to go to a phone store and NOT get an Android, or because an Android fan boy friend goaded them into it, or some misplaced resentment towards the popularity of the iPhone.

Maybe 20% are actually informed consumers or enthusiasts.

I know maybe 3-4 people who have Android phones and like them. Every other person I know dislikes their Android but is stuck with it for one reason or another, or has gotten rid of their Android for an iPhone because they got fed up with the directionless cat herding cluster*ck.

Your mileage may vary.

Windows Phone is way more limited than Android. No one would deny that. Sometimes more of everything doesn't always result in the best final product. That applies to lots of things, art, music, cuisine, literature, and yes, IMO, smartphones.

xdmanalo

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing it might have something to do with the carrier max you can send a group text to if you were to utilize that feature

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a reasonable guess. (I don't have txt service, so I cannot test this out. I'm using a 'gVoice' type of app for free txting.*)

If so, it would have been nice to omit the cap to allow for more feeds in the 'what's new' screen. Instead, perhaps have a pop-up that indicates too many contacts if you try to txt more than 20 people.

*If possible, anybody know how to change the default apps in general? Or should I add that as #17 and hope it comes in Apollo?

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Well said.

I think the majority of us are completely open to constructive criticism and more than willing to try to help wherever we can. It's just tough when people post gripe threads with negative titles that just serve to fuel FUD over WP7.

This thread is definitely one of the more mild examples of that by far though and became fairly constructive overall.

I think if you truly want to see Windows Phone succeed though, complaints are probably best targeted at the people who can do something about them, i.e. Microsoft, developers, the OEM's and constructive criticism always goes further than complaining.

Think about it. You want to see Windows Phone succeed, but how does posting a list of complaints on a forum accomplish that?

Sure, there's a one in a 100,000,000 chance a Microsoft guy will read everything you wrote and act on it, but for every MS guy or developer that might read it and get something from this diatribe, you're sowing the seeds of FUD and potentially scaring off 1000's of curious newbs who are checking this site out to see if they want to buy a Windows Phone potentially, or convincing people who just did that they made a bad decision.

I think the best thing we can do to support the platform is to direct the constructive criticism at the right targets, and helpful, but realistic to friendly new users who might come here for info or support. Of course that should be done with a minimum of blowing sunshine up their butts and telling them the phone will be perfect. Setting unrealistic expectations will undermine Windows Phone almost as much as the FUD and freaking out will.

Just my 2 cents.
Hi Guys,

I wanted to take some time to digest and evaluate all of your comments. I want to end this thread from my end with these comments for you.

1) I am a software engineer with over 15 years of experience for a Microsoft Partner

2) Based on everyone's comments I went back and re-read my initial thread opening post. From an engineers perspective, this post is in my opinion as civil and professional as they come. Complaints, e.g. bugs from a customers standpoint, these would all legitimately be filed as software bugs internally at my company. Please do me a favor and have this mindset for me before being reactionary and seeing me as going on a tirade, being flamboyant, etc.

3) Based on 2) above it is very apparent that there are some deep rooted scars from past posts, people with ill will intentions. I truly hope this behavior stops, on both ends. It's bad business, unprofessional and everyone loses in some form at the end of the day. Speaking to the request of posting something "positive" when issuing a post as I did, which came off as "negative", that is fair request I suppose. I don't think it should have to be that way, but it makes sense to provide protection for a junior product looking to break into a market already saturated by prior products doing very well. Point well taken and I will adjust further threads to accomodate this psychology.

Engineer Guy
Go Windows Phone!!!

kaalia

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Indian language fonts dont show up on facebook or browser. Cant install them too on the lumia 900. iPhone was cool, everything worked ootb just great :). Anyone found a workaround for the fonts issue?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Nope, the message is still there. Works fine for me as well.

Most experience windowsphone users know this but it would be nice if you could go back to the text message and what you typed was still there. I think this would be a nice "feature" instead of hitting the backbutton. Part of Windows Phone's success is about ease of use and how simple things are. Having this would be a step in the right direction :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss