Windows Phone 7.5 MANGO Complaints

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Previous Android user. Complaints since moving over.

Windows Phone Complaints
1) Live tile counter doesn't work most of the time for HeyTell, Facebook, GChat
2) Skype doesn't work in background mode. Android does. Makes app useless.
3) Messaging doesn't retain unsent text when switching to other app, home screen. Android does.
4) Can't view facebook like I can on my computer. Android does.
5) Reversing white background/black text for "night mode" like Nokia Maps does would be very nice in dark lighting, movie theather, etc.
6) Requires Zune to copy files off, unless emailed. Android solution is better, acts like a hard drive on USB
7) Auto-copy feature of pics to SkyDrive copies a small version of the picture, not the original size
8) Games that are for free on Android/iTunes cost money! Like Angry Birds.
9) Live Toggle Tiles like Connection Tiles don't update their wording when toggling
10) Market may have 10s of thousands of apps but a high number of them are just "hot girl" apps, missing many apps still!
11) Swype option is not available. Slydr option is a joke!
12) Volume hard buttons and Camera button don't always work when screen is off
13) Built-In "Listen for Music" option does not save what I find for music. Might as well just keep using Shazam/Soundhound
14) Scan barcode options should work like Google Goggles too.
15) Nokia Maps doesn't work in offline mode. Map doesn't load.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
could be problem of app

its a frickin beta, they say as much on their beta page that it doesnt operate in background now, final version will

3) Messaging doesn't retain unsent text when switching to other app, home screen. Android does.
not sure what you are talking about here texts that cant be sent you can click on them to send again

no and you can't run flash either, or any of the other 100000 things that drain battery and need 1000 cores to run smoothly.

5) Reversing white background/black text for "night mode" like Nokia Maps does would be very nice in dark lighting, movie theather, etc.
not a fault of the OS, that's an app issue

6) Requires Zune to copy files off, unless emailed. Android solution is better, acts like a hard drive on USB
and Android has about as many security holes as swiss cheese because of such.

7) Auto-copy feature of pics to SkyDrive copies a small version of the picture, not the original size
use the Skydrive app if this bothers you so. Copying full res pics will gobble any data plan in a heartbeat.

.99 cents dude. really.

9) Live Toggle Tiles like Connection Tiles don't update their wording when toggling

10) Market may have 10s of thousands of apps but a high number of them are just "hot girl" apps, missing many apps still!
like what

nope, you have to type like a normal person.

heard this could be a problem with certain 900s, works fine with HTC phones

13) Built-In "Listen for Music" option does not save what I find for music. Might as well just keep using Shazam/Soundhound
Yes it does tap ... and tap music history .....MAGIKZ!!!

SO get Bingle Googles

Nokia Drive is the app you want for this, not Maps.

Did someone hold a gun to you head and swap your android for a 900? If you want Google so bad, go back to Google. 900s are sold out right now so you should have no problems selling it to someone less griping.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Windows Phone Complaints

long list of gripes that I haven't seen before or don't see alot of. Here are my replies to each

1) that's an issue with the app itself,not the OS
2) that's one of the unique benefits of installing BETA software
3)finish text first and then resume app afterwards, text stays in compose field until window is closed.
4)what do you mean here? Desktop Facebook loads just fine on my HD7.
5)Nokia drive is better for this.
6)Android's option also leaves you open wider than a prostitute to all sorts of malware and other threats.
7)SkyDrive app works around this,so does manual upload. Like another user said uploading of full res pics runs data caps faster. Some providers even compress images so they use less data.
8) if you can afford a big mac you can afford these games. Also free apps on android have the same results as what I said in #6
9)they aren't live tiles,just shortcuts
10)most apps on Android are either malware or FC alot.
11)the keyboard in WP is more effective and quicker than swype.
12) they work fine for me, once again not an OS issue, lots of android phones don't even have a dedicated camera button.
13)yes it does tap the bottom and select music history
14) what does google goggles do differently other than spy on you?
15)use Nokia drive, it works offline.

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
could be problem of app

its a frickin beta, they say as much on their beta page that it doesnt operate in background now, final version will

not sure what you are talking about here texts that cant be sent you can click on them to send again

no and you can't run flash either, or any of the other 100000 things that drain battery and need 1000 cores to run smoothly.

not a fault of the OS, that's an app issue

and Android has about as many security holes as swiss cheese because of such.

use the Skydrive app if this bothers you so. Copying full res pics will gobble any data plan in a heartbeat.

.99 cents dude. really.

like what

nope, you have to type like a normal person.

heard this could be a problem with certain 900s, works fine with HTC phones

Yes it does tap ... and tap music history .....MAGIKZ!!!

SO get Bingle Googles

Nokia Drive is the app you want for this, not Maps.

Did someone hold a gun to you head and swap your android for a 900? If you want Google so bad, go back to Google. 900s are sold out right now so you should have no problems selling it to someone less griping.
inteller - Thank you for your passionate response. In order of your responses.

1) Agreed, i'm just trying to get the word out to Microsoft and their 3rd party app developers
2) Agreed, it sure is a beta and i'm happy with it, just pointing out a flaw that needs to be fixed
3) Disagree, type a text, don't send it, exit the app with the Windows Logo, go back, it's missing
4) Fixed, just goto IE settings and switch to Desktop Mode
5) Agreed, simply pointing out a great idea for someone to fix
6) Unsure, I imagine it's not too hard to expose a phones memory as an HDD without producing a security hole
7) Agreed, but at least give the end-user the option to choose low/high res.
8) Disagree, it's not about the money, it's the principle. think about the end-users. why is it free for them? is what all of them are going to say, then not buy it. its biased, its lack of consistency, its just bad business
9) Nothing to respond to
10) Do a google search, Missing Windows Phone Apps. look at the outrage on Zynga for example. Do a search on the market and count the number of "hot girl" apps and get back to me
11) Disagree, a high percentage of people use Swype. another market killer, another reason i have to hear someone tell me why they won't use a WP. great idea.
12) Interesting, thanks for the info. I hope they fix it
13) Fixed, this was my lack of intelligence
14) Agree sort of, integration into the QR/Barcode scanner would be nicer, but moreover, yay can't wait to pay 2.99 for that when its free on Android. another reason people tell me why they won't switch to WP.
15) Disagree, do a search for Nokia Maps Offline.

And for your final comment. Here's my mentality on the whole world of phones to pick from.

//posted in another forum
I'm actually gunning for Microsoft. I really want them to succeed. They've been the odd man out for way to long and I believe if they shape up quickly(listening to feedback of what people want/complaints), they can jump into the race and compete properly. I've had an iPhone, before my Android. Apple really left a sour taste in my mouth when they flat out denied and lied about the antenna issues on their phone. I returned the iPhone 4 immediately after that little escapade.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe you replied to that post full of inaccuracies, especially with the number of veiled insults he threw in there...

As for #3, the term you're looking for is Drafts. WP7 doesn't support them like Android does. On iOS if you switch out your compose screen with all your text will still be there. I think WP7 is the only smartphone platform right now that deletes your unsent text in the box without saving a draft.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if it does that for email as well, but I just can't believe Microsoft is that naive. I will check later when I feel like getting my phone out of the other room :p

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Windows Phone Complaints

1) Try a power cycle on your device should fix your issues with live tiles
2) This will eventually be integrated in to WPOS like the People hub for now the app is a beta and not fully functioning. Tango is a fully functioning option
3) It will if you return to the messaging app using fast app switching but if you reopen the app from the start screen you are essentially telling the messaging app you don't need the unsent message you are composing.
4) Yes you can just use the IE and set to desktop view
5) ? What OS Does that thats not a WP issue that is a user request
6) Thats one opinion
7) The auto upload to Skype is there to be a last chance save of your photo in case of tragic accident like breaking your phone. It saves the pictures in a smaller file to save your bandwidth and storage space. The right way to save pictures is to transfer than through Zune
8) Yah that suck I'll give you that one
9) Not sure what app you are using try Network Dashboard
10) You must be talking about the Android Market...lol
11) The Window Phone keyboard is the best I have ever used and I have used them all including Swype. You should give it a chance even if you don't like it it will spend some time learning you. Google it
12) Not an issue for me
13) It can and if you have Zune it will even take you to the Marketplace and download the song for you. If you don't have Zune you can purchase the song.
14) They should take you to a google website while sending all your information to google for advertising porpuses... No thanks
15) Your are using it wrong. Go to the options and download the maps

I would like to point out that items 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, & 15 have nothing to do with Windows Phone 7.5 Mango

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Can't believe you replied to that post full of inaccuracies, especially with the number of veiled insults he threw in there...

As for #3, the term you're looking for is Drafts. WP7 doesn't support them like Android does. On iOS if you switch out your compose screen with all your text will still be there. I think WP7 is the only smartphone platform right now that deletes your unsent text in the box without saving a draft.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if it does that for email as well, but I just can't believe Microsoft is that naive. I will check later when I feel like getting my phone out of the other room :p

before pointing out other's inaccuracies please identify and acknowledge your own. #3 if you back out with the windows key and resume with the app switcher the text is still there. It works like this with all apps that support fast resume,I just verified before typing.

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
1) Try a power cycle on your device should fix your issues with live tiles
2) This will eventually be integrated in to WPOS like the People hub for now the app is a beta and not fully functioning. Tango is a fully functioning option
3) It will if you return to the messaging app using fast app switching but if you reopen the app from the start screen you are essentially telling the messaging app you don't need the unsent message you are composing.
4) Yes you can just use the IE and set to desktop view
5) ? What OS Does that thats not a WP issue that is a user request
6) Thats one opinion
7) The auto upload to Skype is there to be a last chance save of your photo in case of tragic accident like breaking your phone. It saves the pictures in a smaller file to save your bandwidth and storage space. The right way to save pictures is to transfer than through Zune
8) Yah that suck I'll give you that one
9) Not sure what app you are using try Network Dashboard
10) You must be talking about the Android Market...lol
11) The Window Phone keyboard is the best I have ever used and I have used them all including Swype. You should give it a chance even if you don't like it it will spend some time learning you. Google it
12) Not an issue for me
13) It can and if you have Zune it will even take you to the Marketplace and download the song for you. If you don't have Zune you can purchase the song.
14) They should take you to a google website while sending all your information to google for advertising porpuses... No thanks
15) Your are using it wrong. Go to the options and download the maps

I would like to point out that items 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, & 15 have nothing to do with Windows Phone 7.5 Mango
Thanks Blake. Appreciate the positive even keel reply. I really feel like i've touched a delicate nerve throughout this forum and I want to say to everyone again, sorry if I came across as a hater, bashing WP, Android lover. I'm merely just trying to be passionate about ensuring WP becomes an amazing OS and that Microsoft and their 3rd party developers knock it out of the park.

Go Windows Phone!!!

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Blake. Appreciate the positive even keel reply. I really feel like i've touched a delicate nerve throughout this forum and I want to say to everyone again, sorry if I came across as a hater, bashing WP, Android lover. I'm merely just trying to be passionate about ensuring WP becomes an amazing OS and that Microsoft and their 3rd party developers knock it out of the park.

Go Windows Phone!!!

I do appreciate you putting your concern in these forums we want you to be happy with your choice to go with WP. I think a flud of posts like yours have some veteran users of these forums on edge. We just don't want the differences in OS's to stear new people away from WP. Maybe if when pointing out the shortcomings in WP if you point out what you like about the OS you might get a more positive response. I hope you don't confuse our passion with anything else it is just that.

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP should give this platform more time. This is still a very young platform after all, and some of the things you mention are related to 3rd party apps, so it will be better for you to communicate directly to the developers instead of a general forum like this one.

I came from WebOS, PalmOS, Android (first generation) and Windows Mobile, so I understand your frustrations of your changes, but please be patient. This is also part of the "fun" when you switch to a young platform, right :)

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

Go Windows Phone!!!

Some people here will be defensive as we've had/have our fair share of trolls around here - who clearly set out to dim WP's light. You're bound to have a few gripes, just as I would moving back to iOS or over to Android. It's just a case of voicing them and seeing what others do as a work around.

:)

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Of all the issues mentioned, the one that I think is the most serious OS issue is the lack of Swype or something comparable. Simply stated, users should be given as many options as possible for how to enter text, since this is a fundamental human-device interaction and preferences vary widely.

One of the things not mentioned is the way the Android (and BB) browser allow you to tap-zoom and reflow text to a configurable size. This makes reading many web sites much much easier.

I'm not sure I agree that allowing USB mass storage access is a security problem. My BB 9900 does it and I'm unaware of any security problem resulting from that.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
swype is a gimmick...for the fact that if it was quantifiably better it would be default on all platforms. Fact of the matter is I can type close enough to the words I want and WP7 just works and figures it out.

also, stop equating BB to security. It is a farse propped up by RIM shills and toadies. Sending all of your corporate messaging through a 3rd party proxy subject to supeonas from banana republics is in no way secure.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you want Swype then then you should contact Swype. Microsoft is not keeping them from having or making there program an option. The makers of Swype have not tried to port to WP

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
1) No separate volume for ringer/headphones.

That's it!

I have used other people's iPhones/Androids and couldn't wait to get my phone back in my hand.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If you want Swype then then you should contact Swype. Microsoft is not keeping them from having or making there program an option. The makers of Swype have not tried to port to WP

As far as I know, MS has not released any keyboard API to developers, so Swype, or any other alternative keyboard app, is not yet an option. People have contacted Swype, and this was their answer.

As for inteller's assertion that Swype is a gimmick, that's simply false. It's not about what is "quantifiably faster"; it's about what people prefer to use. For anybody who prefers Swype, its absence is a reason to choose something other than a WP device, and calling it a gimmick doesn't alter that fact. If the iPhone user calls WP's live tiles a "gimmick", it would be false for the same reason.

Once upon a time, RIM thought apps were a "gimmick". Where did that thinking get them?

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Nope, the message is still there. Works fine for me as well.
As others have said, the vast majority of the issues listed are with individual applications, rather than with the OS, many others are personal gripes with the system that if you feel strongly enough about you should take to the Windows Phone feedback platform and either vote for the corresponding issues or create them if they are not listed already.

I have to agree on the game prices comment, although 10 popular Xbox Live titles have been reduced permanently to ?0.99, including Angry Birds, which is a step in the right direction. However, as more and more apps become available I guarantee we will see the race to ?0.79 that took place on both iOS. Personally I would prefer to see that than the Android style of racing to advertising support. I would far rather pay a nominal amount than be plagued with adverts in applications the whole time.

And yes, exit a message with the Windows button while typing and you can use the Back button to go back to exactly where you left off. If you go back in through the home screen it's like starting a new instance of the app; though even then you step back until you get to the original message again.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
As far as I know, MS has not released any keyboard API to developers, so Swype, or any other alternative keyboard app, is not yet an option. People have contacted Swype, and this was their answer.

As for inteller's assertion that Swype is a gimmick, that's simply false. It's not about what is "quantifiably faster"; it's about what people prefer to use. For anybody who prefers Swype, its absence is a reason to choose something other than a WP device, and calling it a gimmick doesn't alter that fact. If the iPhone user calls WP's live tiles a "gimmick", it would be false for the same reason.

Once upon a time, RIM thought apps were a "gimmick". Where did that thinking get them?

This is what we know

http://www.windowscentral.com/skype-windows-phone-testing-out-soon

So yes Microsoft is making tha API's available

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss