Microsoft spokesperson: "All Windows Phone will get Apollo" (CONFIRMATION)

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Although I like the platform, I think Microsoft is just making mistake, after mistake. Dunno whats up with them, but I did not expect this from a push for a new platform.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It seem the verge has a vendetta against windows and windows phone, I take everything they say with a grain of salt they use to be my favorite technology site too until recently.

Their head honcho, Josh, is on record as calling Windows poison. In fact, many commenters were happy to see Josh and his crew leave Engadget, predicting that Engadget would be much less bias in the process. And honestly, Engadget does seem a lot less bias than they did this time last year. And Verge... well it seems like Josh is up to his old tricks.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Their head honcho, Josh, is on record as calling Windows poison. In fact, many commenters were happy to see Josh and his crew leave Engadget, predicting that Engadget would be much less bias in the process. And honestly, Engadget does seem a lot less bias than they did this time last year. And Verge... well it seems like Josh is up to his old tricks.

Yeah, but it's not just Josh. It's ZDNet's reporters too, from a month ago.
Reading between the lines: Office on iPad, Windows Phone upgrades | ZDNet

Which is the exact same answer they gave WPCentral this very day. They will talk about apps, but they refuse to talk about the OS. It's hard to think no news is good news in this instance.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Which is the exact same answer they gave WPCentral this very day. They will talk about apps, but they refuse to talk about the OS. It's hard to think no news is good news in this instance.

Actually I'm referring the overall negative tone the Verge as a whole has taken towards Windows Phone/Microsoft since Josh decided to get more involved. It can't be mere coincidence that they only have bad things to say about WP post Josh's review. Even Vlad, who reviewed and really enjoyed the Lumia 800, suddenly has a negative opinion of WP after Josh's review. So when I say the Verge I'm talking about the website as a whole and Josh's affect on it and its staff. Like I said, this "sudden" negative tone towards WP simply can't be coincidence. And it very well could be coincidence, but I'm not buying it.

Last edited:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Actually I'm referring the overall negative tone the Verge as a whole has taken towards Windows Phone/Microsoft since Josh decided to get more involved. It can't be mere coincidence that they only have bad things to say about WP post Josh's review. Even Vlad, who reviewed and really enjoyed the Lumia 800, suddenly has a negative opinion of WP after Josh's review. That simply cannot be coincidence.

Ok fine, Josh is a big stupid meanie-butt. We get it. But that doesn't change the fact the Microsoft has not come out and clearly stated who will get Apollo and who won't. And until they do, rumors will fly and it could adversely affect sales. And maybe they're not sure yet--that's fine too, say that. But who in their right mind would buy a Lumia if they don't get WP8? They pulled the interview with Nuno Silva, and then refused to confirm or deny anything, just giving a side-stepping answer that doesn't have any relevance to the question asked. Hardly inspires confidence.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

My guess is MSFT is being tightlipped because THEY DON'T KNOW to what capacity current gen WPs will be able to receive an upgrade. Designing an OS is extremely difficult: it isn't just "this should have a start button" or "this functionality should be here" it is hours of work. Then, it has to be tested and in this case ported onto multiple existing devices. Apollo is probably still 5-6 months from release, a lot can still change and a lot of functionality can be added for certain devices and tested on others.

Everyone needs to relax, stop trying to spin no news as "good news" or "bad news" and accept it for what it is: absolutely nothing. If MSFT confirms Apollo on existing devices and it comes as an update in some functionality, but not a full update, they called out for being liars and being deceptive about the update. By saying nothing they sell Lumia 900s and have a caveat emptor situation in the worst case and a bunch of happy WP8 consumers in the best.

I personally expect a grey area.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok fine, Josh is a big stupid meanie-butt. We get it. But that doesn't change the fact the Microsoft has not come out and clearly stated who will get Apollo and who won't. And until they do, rumors will fly and it could adversely affect sales. And maybe they're not sure yet--that's fine too, say that. But who in their right mind would buy a Lumia if they don't get WP8? They pulled the interview with Nuno Silva, and then refused to confirm or deny anything, just giving a side-stepping answer that doesn't have any relevance to the question asked. Hardly inspires confidence.

Microsoft probably isn't talking Apollo because they haven't even gotten Tango out the door yet. Everyone is running wild with conspiracies but the truth is probably a lot less complicated. Chances are, Microsoft does not have enough concrete information to give us about the Apollo update. While they no doubt have a roadmap in place, things change. For example, LTE was not supposed to come to the Lumia 900, but AT&T insisted and so Microsoft worked hard to get LTE to WP sooner. I doubt MS wants to make promises they can't keep. They could start talking Apollo and then have to renege on those goals 7 months later when they realize things won't work out as planned. Say something or remain quiet. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I did *crosses leg and continues flicking thumb to navigate on the phone*

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The Verge isn't the devil. They do have some good reporters there (I'm particularly fond of Tom Warren and Vlad Savov).

To be honest I don't even think Josh means badly most of the time, he just doesn't actually know enough about MSFTs platforms. Sure their articles about Windows aren't always completely fair, but they do cover a good number of stories in a timely matter, and their live coverage is usually pretty good.

That said, they aren't my first choice when I want a MSFT device rated.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The current hardware isn't capable of everything that WP8 is going to be able to do. That being said, I believe that there will be a significant update for the OS of the existing phones. I don't believe MS is willing to alienate the community that has shown them support up to this point. I know this is just conjecture, but to me, it seems the most likely.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Why had it to be The Verge of all the tech websites?

I think that not upgrading the Lumia 900 for example is instant suicide for Windows Phone, and I'm sure Microsoft knows this.

I'm not trusting The Verge, but I think it's time for Microsoft to give an official statement.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Why do people think they are owed major updates. The only update MS promised for current phones was Mango.

People complaining about a update, and they have no clue what software features are being added.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Why do people think they are owed major updates. The only update MS promised for current phones was Mango.

People complaining about a update, and they have no clue what software features are being added.

Owed an update? No, but as someone who is aware of whats coming (however or whatever it is) if theres a good chance a new device like the Lumia 900 wont be updated I prefer to wait. The average joe may now know or care but people on forums like this do and since the OS actually does work pretty much the same across all devices there is no benefit in buying a new device now. IIMO.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Owed an update? No, but as someone who is aware of whats coming (however or whatever it is) if theres a good chance a new device like the Lumia 900 wont be updated I prefer to wait. The average joe may now know or care but people on forums like this do and since the OS actually does work pretty much the same across all devices there is no benefit in buying a new device now. IIMO.

Allegedly Apollo hasn't even been in testing for a month yet. OEMs still need to write drivers too probably. How can anyone expect them to comment on what devices will get what when it probably hasn't been touched internally yet

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

My phone is from 2010 so I already got the update I wanted in Mango, it should hold me up until my contract is up.

However, Titan 2/Lumia 900 owners, deserve to have a new update. There's no reason for buying a new phone this year that works exactly as my old phone.

Can you imagine buying a Galaxy Note with the same OS as the vibrant? That is what's happening in here. Is crazy, you are locked in a 2 year contract and if you won't get an upgrade then Microsoft is no better than HP.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Allegedly Apollo hasn't even been in testing for a month yet. OEMs still need to write drivers too probably. How can anyone expect them to comment on what devices will get what when it probably hasn't been touched internally yet

That's the whole point about waiting, since nothing has been said and it could go either way. Its kind of naive though to think that just because (allegedly, just another rumor) they have just begun testing that no one knows if older devices will get an update. Development is not done solely in a virtual environment, if there are any technical reasons WP8 won't run on current hardware they already know it, this is not going to come as a surprise to them. They just haven't told us. So without any real info its natural for some to feel it's better to wait for new devices rather than getting one now.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
no reason to keep saying that the Verge has some secret agenda against MS, and that MS is the victim here.
MS is the one responsible for providing the answer to this simple question, and it's not like this question just popped yesterday, this has been going on for months now, and I think the issue here is unwillingness to address this question by MS, that's feeding this situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb