Microsoft spokesperson: "All Windows Phone will get Apollo" (CONFIRMATION)

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
The average joe may now know or care but people on forums like this do and since the OS actually does work pretty much the same across all devices there is no benefit in buying a new device now. IIMO.

The average Joe WILL care if he learns that his shiny new phone won't run a plethora of apps that will come out for WP8. We WP7 users are kind of living on the dream of catching up to Android/iOS in the app department.

Don't forget this article that said most Lumia 900 purchasers came from another platform (iOS, Android) - I doubt they will stick around very long if they find out they just bought a soon-to-be obsolete phone.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
You guys are confused just like I was before I figured it out...

After today's biggest confusion I've done some research. What I found is that Apollo will come to all Windows Phone 7 handsets, but not fully that means not all features will be updated to your phone.

What do you mean it will come but not fully?
Apollo will support higher resolution, multiple cores, NFC beaming etc. These cannot be integrated in the current deviced.

If I won't get HD display on my Lumia 900 nor dual core what do I get -.-?
You will get (most likely) the Operating System, just as you got Mango (Ex: Improved Multi-tasking, TellMe updated, more options for personalization).

That's it. I hope I cleared you all out.

Thanks to: WPCentral, WMPowerUser, Microsoft & MS Nerd. :cool:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

After today's biggest confusion I've done some research. What I found is that Apollo will come to all Windows Phone 7 handsets, but not fully that means not all features will be updated to your phone.

Apollo will support higher resolution, multiple cores, NFC beaming etc. These cannot be integrated in the current deviced.

You will get (most likely) the Operating System, just as you got Mango (Ex: Improved Multi-tasking, TellMe updated, more options for personalization).

Links to your "research" with supporting statements straight from Microsoft themselves?

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Are you serious ? stop making things up.

Do you really think that when everyone is talking about wp8 upgrade, they are expecting to get High Res screens and NFC....

thanks for pointing out the obvious that if we get the update it will be a "software" update

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
God who cares???

All this rampant speculation and anxiety over Apollo is ridiculous.

The Verge article and the other are USELESS. "A source" says. That doesn't mean sh*t.

Until Microsoft or someone else makes an official statement, all of this handwringing is for nothing. No one even knows what Apollo is going to do differently than the current OS for sure, yet you're all positive what you have now sucks and your life is going to end if you don't get Apollo update for your current phone.

There is NOTHING you can do about this and it is a waste of your time and your life to WORRY about it.

Take a deep breath and just enjoy your phone. Now. Here. Today.

Let Microsoft take care of Apollo and they or the OEM's tell us what the deal is when it's time.

I'm not getting caught up in a bunch of idiot bloggers tugging their d*cks over this every other day with their mysterious sources and bs theories, if you're smart, you won't either.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
but people are anxious because either they just bought a phone or are thinking of getting one, and this requires people to sign 2-3 year contracts, so although I agree with your sentiment, it really does not make any sense for people in this situation.

what we need is a clear answer from MS.

And to get that, i think we just need to ask the question to MS, as I did.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
ha if ms doesn't update the current phones good luck ever trying to get people to buy your product again. They already have a hard enough time getting people to try wp7 that will really kill it if they go that route.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
what's the problem? He has already been replaced

The problem is he was a high-profile lure away from Android. And a possible problem is people on the inside are usually the first to know when a ship is sinking. It's weird that a guy who launches an incredibly high-profile, successful marketing campaign runs away from his job, isn't it?

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
So the thread is descending into paranoia now?

People come people go. Means nothing. Windows 8 is still coming, and the version they will be pushing to phones is in all likelihood Windows RT (the ARM version). It should run with no issues on at least the Gen 2 handsets and quite possibly the Gen 1 as well, albeit it may be slower or have some fancier stuff disabled because of single core versus dual core and non HD displays.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The problem is he was a high-profile lure away from Android. And a possible problem is people on the inside are usually the first to know when a ship is sinking. It's weird that a guy who launches an incredibly high-profile, successful marketing campaign runs away from his job, isn't it?

One guy leaving means nothing. Look what happened when AMD was looking for a new CEO and then you'll know what the image of a sinking ship is.

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Heh. FUD. I've always loved the acronym "FUD". For most it means "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt". For others, "Female Urination Device". Either way I love that acronym. Oh as far as the WP8 update; either we get it or we don't. Enjoy your Lumia now. It's a great phone.
-joe-

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

nope, not at all. happens everyday.

Apple Exec Nabs CEO Slot at JC Penney | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/technology/02google-web.html?_r=1 <--- google exec leaves!

Microsoft security exec leaves for Amazon | IT News

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
God who cares???

Apparently many people.

All this rampant speculation and anxiety over Apollo is ridiculous.

Hmmm... maybe, but it seems that all this "rampant speculation" is keeping quite a few tech blogs busy lately, so... ?

The Verge article and the other are USELESS. "A source" says. That doesn't mean sh*t.

Agreed.

Until Microsoft or someone else makes an official statement, all of this handwringing is for nothing. No one even knows what Apollo is going to do differently than the current OS for sure, yet you're all positive what you have now sucks and your life is going to end if you don't get Apollo update for your current phone.

A - nobody is saying their life is going to end, so lets go ahead and stop with the exaggerated straw man right there.

B - for people who just plunked down money and signed an expensive 2 year commitment, this "hand wringing" isn't for nothing, it's a pretty large financial commitment.

C - Um yeah actually we DO kind of know what Apollo is going to do differently - it will run a whole lotta apps that won't work with your WP7 phone. For a platform where we are hoping to catch up to Android and iOS in regards to apps and app development, it would be a pretty significant thing to leave behind a large chunk of customers.

D - Microsoft could do themselves a huge favor right now and end the speculation by just making that official statement. So why don't they? If I had just bought a Lumia 900 or a Titan II I'd be a a little nervous right now for that reason alone, and be in the right for feeling that way.

There is NOTHING you can do about this and it is a waste of your time and your life to WORRY about it.

Oh thanks, so everyone can all go back to worrying about other things for awhile. Oh and as for that expensive 2 year contract you may have just signed - don't worry about it...

Take a deep breath and just enjoy your phone. Now. Here. Today.

Peoples' ability to enjoy their phone today doesn't mean having that it is not legitimate to express concern for the future compatibility of your device - which you signed a contract for 2 years, remember.

Let Microsoft take care of Apollo and they or the OEM's tell us what the deal is when it's time.

Yes, sir!

I'm not getting caught up in a bunch of idiot bloggers tugging their d*cks over this every other day with their mysterious sources and bs theories, if you're smart, you won't either.

Well, your opinion on what constitutes intelligence aside, if I had just bought a new, very highly hyped smartphone and committed to a 2 year contract, I think it would reasonable to try to determine if the investment will be worth it over the course of the 2 years.

Hey, man, BTW - it wasn't the readers of WPCentral that came out and hyped these new phones, it was MS, AT&T and Nokia.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Until Microsoft or someone else makes an official statement

They did make an official statement. They said:

"We have stated publicly that all apps in our Marketplace today will run on the next version of Windows Phone. Beyond that, we have nothing to share about future releases."

See what they did there? When asked about current WP7 devices being upgraded to WP8, Microsoft deflected it by answering a different WP8 question. This wasn't an off-the-cuff answer, this has been their response to that question for months now. It isn't that they won't say anything about WP8 - they did, obviously, by stating that WP7 apps will run in WP8. It's that they have repeatedly refused to answer this particular question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro