Current devices WILL NOT get Apollo.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
This story has to be incorrect. Unless it's a drastic OS change like BB OS7 is to BB 10 (BlackBerry), at least 7.5 devices that were released this year will be eligible to update. At worst! I have a feeling more may be able to get it.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The OS is not an update or upgrade, it is a total revamp to fit windows 8...

So yes, it will be a drastic change.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Im starting to write down a list of all people starting rumors . then post them on my the Do not trust list for the future.

NO comfirmation was given about the actuall UPDATE!

and who ever wrote that article is saying WP will NOT get the update . YET it he article he has a quote from MS thats does NOT comfirm it..

"We have stated publicly that all apps in our Marketplace today will run on the next version of Windows Phone. Beyond that, we have nothing to share about future releases."

in my world :* we have nothing to share * does not mean it WONT get updates. it means they dont know or wont share with the world to prevent lost sales.

MS CLEARLY DOES NOT comfirm it!!!!

this is still 100% rumor in my book , nothing has changed from the rumor we been hearing over the last 4 months.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I heard about the new kernel I've been skeptical that WP7 devices would get WP7, and as WP7 downscaled with Tango I've become convinced that WP7 would remain on the market even after WP8 came out, that there would be a split in the OS similar to what we saw with Windows 95 and Windows NT. Cost-sensitive markets would get WP7 and superphones would get WP8, and in 5-6 years WP7 would be phased out completely.

Even if current devices don't get WP8, they will still be on the WP7 track so they will be getting enhancements, and probably significant ones. After all, Nokia's breadbasket is the volume low-cost market so WP7 will be their major focus for the next few years, though they will also be taking advantage of WP8 for their halo phones and tablets.

Meanwhile WP8 phones will run WP7 apps but not vice-versa (similar again to the Win95 vs WinNT split), so if you're a developer that is interested in tapping into largest possible phone market then you'll want to target the WP7.5+ API. If you need the new WP8 APIs then you target the WP8 subset of WinRT and you can sell it to customers running Win8 desktops, Win8 tablets, and WP8 phones.

It's not ideal, but it's not a bad way forward.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
MS CLEARLY DOES NOT comfirm it!!!!

This is the sort of very serious charge that warrants a vigorous denial if it's untrue. But they haven't denied it. This charge has been leveled at them for months now, and Microsoft has never denied it.

This isn't like Microsoft refusing to release details of Apollo to keep Google and Apple from copying it, this is basic damage control. It gains them nothing to allow these claims out there without challenge if they are untrue. If they are *true* however, then Microsoft's behavior makes sense - they cannot deny the rumours without opening themselves up to a future lawsuit, so their best bet is to sit tight and hope.

Edit: It isn't just the lack of a denial - it's the form of that non-denial, it's very weaselly-politician-like. You ask about "A" he replies about "B" sort of thing; you ask about WP8 running on WP7 devices, they confirm that WP7 apps will run on WP8, which wasn't even remotely the question, but was a question they could answer in a positive way. Which *really* *really* implies that the answer to the original question would not have been a positive one. After all they're willing to talk about WP8 (it runs WP7 apps), they're just not willing to answer that particular question.

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
think logically about this people.

Microsoft wiped the slate clean 2 years ago and forced all devs to build from scratch and have worked two years to build a customer base.

they are just NOW getting traction with the relatively successful launch of the 900.

You think they are going to alienate an entire customer base and developer base by making them buy all new devices and write for two platforms? That's suicide. If they do that Windows Phone is done.

Devices will get upgrades. They may not support all of the new OS features, just like the old iPhones didn't...but they will run new apps, and updates of existing apps.

Is MS sweating bullets right now trying to figure out how to make this work? Probably. But they WILL figure it out and old devices WILL get updated to some flavor of WP8. I predict we'll see an Apollo 1 2 and 3 to address Tango 1, Tango 2 and Apollo uber devices.

Last edited:

hyperlexis

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Impossible -- almost impossible.

After the 6.x "Windows Phone Classic" debacle, Microsoft would not dare cut off existing handsets from an OS update to WP8.

I'm sure there will be some more advanced functionality (what I have no clue) for the new generation of handsets running Apollo, but my Gd if MS tells its existing WP7 users that, like 6.x before them, they will simply be likewise treated, well I can't imagine such a stupid decision repeating itself from MS.

It's pretty outrageous, however, that MS simply has not come out and told users the truth one way or another about the update status of their hardware. How many people have refrained from buying a WP7 handset simply because of the uncertainty regarding the Apollo upgrade?

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
How many people have refrained from buying a WP7 handset simply because of the uncertainty regarding the Apollo upgrade?

Fewer than would have refrained had MS come out and confirmed that WP7 devices won't get WP8. Which unfortunately does a very good job of explaining why they *haven't* been forthcoming...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
we have to get inside the 6 mo window of a software development lifecycle before MS is going to reveal anything. They don't want the copy machines running in Cuppertino and Mt View if they announce anything too soon. For an october release we are almost there. I expect they will do a shakedown of WP8 at E3 or announce their own conference.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
we have to get inside the 6 mo window of a software development lifecycle before MS is going to reveal anything. They don't want the copy machines running in Cuppertino and Mt View if they announce anything too soon. For an october release we are almost there. I expect they will do a shakedown of WP8 at E3 or announce their own conference.

That's true for new features of the OS. Whether or not WP7 phones can be upgraded to WP8 is not such a feature - their competitors already have that feature.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That's it,

I'M GOING TO MACGYVER A VERSION OF APOLLO FROM SCRATCH AND RELEASE IT ON EVERY PORTABLE DEVICE MICROSOFT HAS EVER MADE.

7944f8ed4099504c.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte