Poll: Do you think our current phones will recieve apollo?

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't it be simple that if you want to upgrade to WP8, you plug it into your PC and Zune will flash the device? I mean people flash their iPhone or Androids with custom ROMs all the time, so why can't Zune? Since I know they have the technical ability to do so, my remaining questions would be:

* do OS settings migrated(like having Twitter/FB turned on)
* do app settings migrate

we already know the apps & contacts themselves are stored on MS's cloud services, but it would be nice to know more.

Honestly I think MSFT's story next month will be:

You can continue to receive OTA updates on 7.x(from 7.6 to 7.9)

OR

you can connect up to Zune and update from 7.x to 8.x anytime, though it will be lengthy and you might lose settings.

Point is Microsoft will have an update story for all existing WP users.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You get OTA updates for WP7?

My theory is that in the worst case WP7.5 units will continue to get OTA updates to 7.9, probably over a 2 year period. In the better case, you will have the option of plugging the device into Zune and have it wipe the device and install Windows Phone 8, though probably at the cost of your settings.

vantil

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
And upgradability is important info to potential *customers* right now, so if WP7 devices will be upgraded to WP8 why isn't Microsoft saying so?

Average customer knows nothing about Apollo release. Never heard of it, so they don't care.
So I don't think info is important from sales perspective.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I think we will receive a watered down version of Apollo, in the same way old iPhones get a watered down version of iOS. It will still be a solid upgrade though.

Reason: It would be pants-on-head-retarded for MSFT to abandon people who just bought a Titan or a Lumia, and it would potentially kill what relatively little support they have from consumers.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of how "close" you feel this release is, a LOT of companies do not go into details about things until it's about to be released. Look at Blackberry and BB10, look at Apple and their iPhone 5 that had MILLIONS of rumors that turned into the 4S and folks are STILL waiting on this iPhone with NO confirmation from Apple about what kind of phone it's going to be, and look at Jellybean and the minimal info it has. Lets get off our high horses and stop trying to shove our opinions down someone's throat because they don't agree with your speculation. If you feel it will or won't happen for all devices, then fine. Shut up. MULTIPLE replies in a single topic shows how emotionally attached some of you are.

I don't care. I have my Nokia. Personally I think the 610 will probably get left out of the bunch and the rest will have the core functions of whatever Apollo brings minus some features. Does that mean I'm right? No. But I won't be telling anyone else they are wrong because they disagree.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ms_nerd tweeted yesterday that MS and Nokia are testing wp8 on a 610....... Speaks volumes if true

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Average customer knows nothing about Apollo release. Never heard of it, so they don't care.
So I don't think info is important from sales perspective.

You don't think potential customers read the internet? Don't know how to use google or bing? And don't know anybody who does?

Interestingly though, if your theory is correct then Microsoft doesn't need to upgrade the existing handsets to Apollo and can safely ignore the howls from the WP7 owners - if they can safely ignore them now, they can safely ignore them in 9 months when WP8 ships.

Regardless of how "close" you feel this release is, a LOT of companies do not go into details about things until it's about to be released.

If Microsoft had been completely closed-lipped about WP8 this might be believable. But Microsoft has already gone into details about such things with WP8 - they've announced that the WP7 apps will run on WP8. How is it any different to announce that WP7 devices (or even "some WP7 devices") will run WP8? This isn't like showing their new widget scheme or their new hub system or something that their competitors can copy - their competitors already have this feature.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre