Is Microsoft actually letting OEMs to customize windows phone. For differentiation?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-to-discuss-windows-phone-8-customization-differentiation-opportunities-with-oems/. How would you feel if a metro or a htc sense and touchwiz interface (possibly a nokia skin) on your maybe future wp8 device? But still don't get why they are doin this. They should confirm this first

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd just buy from Nokia. They currently have the most leeway as part of their agreement and they have done the smart thing not to wield that stupid sword.

All it would drive us to is cooking new ROMs with all the **** taken out....JUST LIKE ANDROID.

catkeepr

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think part of the reason MS is having trouble getting OEMs on board is because they can't do customizations. That's why OEMs are so into android.
I don't think allowing them to do customization is such a good idea. It's nice being able to move from device to device without needing to learn a new interface design.
That being said, I can understand why MS may feel pressured to allow the practice to get more OEM buyin. I certainly hope they don't cave to the pressure though. I kind of like things the way they are on Windows phone, with some other minor changes of course.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think part of the reason MS is having trouble getting OEMs on board is because they can't do customizations. That's why OEMs are so into android.
I don't think allowing them to do customization is such a good idea. It's nice being able to move from device to device without needing to learn a new interface design.
That being said, I can understand why MS may feel pressured to allow the practice to get more OEM buyin. I certainly hope they don't cave to the pressure though. I kind of like things the way they are on Windows phone, with some other minor changes of course.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Agreed. If Microsoft let's you uninstall the skin. That's good or possibly they would develop a new skin for windows phones or make touchwiz and htc sense more metro like

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It will be a cold, cold day before MSFT lets them touch anything. Eventually OEMs will wake up and realize that their craptastic UIs and bloatware are not what differentiates phones anyway. I don't know if people have realized this but Android all looks the same. You can pick it out in a crowd.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
The whole point in WP is its interface. Metro is akin to WP/Win8 devices as the iOS is to Apple devices. It should never be changed. Microsoft have spent a lot of time and money in getting it right, if they wanted to let OEM's continue to customize, they needn't have bothered, and instead just finished Photon instead of ditching it for WP.

If the likes of HTC arn't happy, then screw them, HTC and Samsung are for the mostpart, boring, every HTC device seems to be a copy of the last, and every Samsung device is an iPhone wannabe.

I'd hazard a guess that Nokia will have sold more WP devices by the end of 2012, than the rest of the manufacturers combined since 2010... if not already. Microsoft does not need HTC and Samsung as much as they want to be involved in the WP party. If the unthinkable happens, and either Blackberry and/or Sony move across to WP (the more marketshare they lose, the more likely it is to happen, having seen how Nokia's fortunes are improving, remember there is already speculation that BB may be interested in selling off it's consumer division) then it could just about finish Samsung off in the WP fold anyway, and see a role-reversal of the current trend, with the former "big boys" climbing back up the marketshare ladders. It's all theoretical of course, but it's possible.

Android is not the powerhouse many people see it as, it is doing NOTHING for Sony and never has done, in fact the original HTC built Xperia's running WinMo seemed to have more going for them than the current range. Android does well for Samsung, and 100+ devices a week HTC, iOS obviously does well for Apple, and WP is rebuilding Nokia.

The likes of Sony and LG will only continue to lose money for so long on Android/mobile divisions, before they jump behind WP full-throttle, or drop out of the market. Unless they decide to take the risk of the century and develop the now open-sourced WebOS, which isnt too unfeasable, though the shareholders may not allow it.

Besides which, any device manufacturer, should realise that WP is a much better interface than anything else out there, and should be made up to see the success Nokia is having - because they all share the same interface, it is effectively free advertising for other handsets. The problem I think they are having atm, is that Nokia are cutting their own throats with pricing atm, in a bid to regain a stranglehold on the market; nobody with a successful Android division, is prepared to do that.

Regardless of all this, Microsoft arn't much bothered by manufacturers choosing Android, they have the biggest mobile phone manufacturer in the world, as an exclusive and fully-committed partner, and are creaming off money every time the likes of Samsung and HTC sell a handset... without having to do a moments work!! So the more Android handsets are sold, the better for Microsoft. The only reason for them bothering with WP is imho, to save face, and show the world why they are the best software developer on the face of the earth - the whole WP fiasco is more of an exhibition and bragging rights winner than a money-maker for Microsoft I think!! Every penny they lose, they make back on sales of Android handsets. Nifty business acumen.

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's a radical change like a whole new user interface, maybe some just subtle differences. If this is the only way for OEMs to get on board for Windows Phone, then I don't mind. Besides, isn't Nokia the only manufacturer that can change the OS at all?

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I almost forgot arguably the most important point... With Google buying Motorola a few months back, any OEM has more reason to be worried about the future use of Android than they do the future use of WP. Microsoft (bar a miracle) has zero interest in making and supporting hardware, they are a software company. Their business works so well, HP attempted (for a short period) to emulate them last year, and revert to being software-only, until shareholders and directors suddenly realised they'd cut 13% of their revenue stream by ditching hardware.

Any OEM who tells you they are not worried over the medium-long term implications of Google and Motorola singing off the same hymn sheet, is chatting BS. They may not be overly worried, but it will always be in the back of their minds. Meg Whitman, the new CEO of HP (owners of the now defunct Palm/WebOS), explained not so long ago, that she feels Google will eventually begin to "go it alone" with Motorola taking priority, or even exclusivity, over other current partners, hence WebOS may yet stand to become an attractive open-source alternative to Android. Similar to Google's 85% funding of Mozilla, in the long-term, it may be removed, as Chrome bids to win the browser wars.

Any manufacturer putting all their eggs in the Android basket could be in for a very rough ride. Sony are revamping their entire company, in response to startling losses and debts, don't be too surprised if given the lack of success and marketshare they are seeing with Android, they launch a range of WebOS or WP devices, should they not sell off/merge their consumer mobile phone division to Google Motorola...

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a radical change like a whole new user interface, maybe some just subtle differences. If this is the only way for OEMs to get on board for Windows Phone, then I don't mind. Besides, isn't Nokia the only manufacturer that can change the OS at all?

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

True but Microsoft is in a lot of pressure lately. I know adding skins is just awful. But it's more important that consumers get more customization alike iOS type. So they really don't have a choice unless Nokia designs a way better skin for Nokia lumia's. If the skin is very good looking or has a lot of customization, then consumers will buy it. Carriers are blaming the restrictions Microsoft is making on skins and customization for the sales numbers. Hopefully Nokia has a solution for skins and metro look

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't be a crazy change... just some customization, aside from the apps they get.

Maybe a "Sense Hub" for HTC.

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
True but Microsoft is in a lot of pressure lately. I know adding skins is just awful. But it's more important that consumers get more customization alike iOS type. So they really don't have a choice unless Nokia designs a way better skin for Nokia lumia's. If the skin is very good looking or has a lot of customization, then consumers will buy it. Carriers are blaming the restrictions Microsoft is making on skins and customization for the sales numbers. Hopefully Nokia has a solution for skins and metro look

I think giving other OEMs the chance to customize the OS is a violation of the agreement with Nokia, unless it just specifies the OS itself and not the UI. It'll be interesting to see how the skins would be if they have to follow the design guidelines of Metro (provided, of coure, if they are allowed to change up Metro). Imagine: Metro Sense and Metro TouchWiz :)

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think giving other OEMs the chance to customize the OS is a violation of the agreement with Nokia, unless it just specifies the OS itself and not the UI. It'll be interesting to see how the skins would be if they have to follow the design guidelines of Metro (provided, of coure, if they are allowed to change up Metro). Imagine: Metro Sense and Metro TouchWiz :)

won't happen. Microsoft intends to model their updates after apple. Can't do that if carriers have to add in their bloatware. Will turn the platform into android overnight

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-to-discuss-windows-phone-8-customization-differentiation-opportunities-with-oems/. How would you feel if a metro or a htc sense and touchwiz interface (possibly a nokia skin) on your maybe future wp8 device? But still don't get why they are doin this. They should confirm this first
I believe The Verge has already reported on extra integration into the People hub. There's no way that the manufacturers will be allowed to customize the look and feel of the actual interface, just add integrated features.

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Metro is all about simplicity... if microsoft lets OEMs change the interface I want no part of it. But I personally think there is NO CHANCE they would do that.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I was that concerned that Microsoft will be adding a disgusting touchwiz skin or a sense skin. But unless it runs metro and doesn't effect the simplicity of the os, I'm fine with them. But like I said if Nokia designs a A very good looking skin or leaves if then it would be great ; ) maybe to differentiate themselves is the lock screen or they the way wp scrolls. And integration for more noticing

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes