Screen doesn't live up when receiving notifications

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
When my phone is locked and the screen is black, it doesn't live up when I receive a notification. For instance, when I hear the message sound, the screen just stays black. I have to press the unlock button myself.

Does anyone know why this is? And what can I do to fix it? It's very frustrating.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I have. It still happens.

What also happens, is the screen instantly going black when I make a call, and staying black when I move the phone away from my ear. I had started a topic about this issue before. Although it had a lot of comments, I couldn't fix the issue. But, then the issue passed, didn't happen anymore. Now it does again...

AND THIS NEW ISSUE.

So frustrating!

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I myself would prefer the screen to stay off when I recieve a notification. Most of the time I don't have the phone on me anyway so the screen on just takes extra battery albeit very little.

I have the call bug too. It happens occasionally. Sometimes it's just very hard ending a call because as soon as you press the "end call" button the screen turns off. Usually I have to wait till the other one ends the call or just mash the end call area frequently.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Never tried just touchting the area actually.

Sucks that you have the issue too. Do you have case/cover? Perhaps that might have something to do with it. I have one.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Really? If so, that would explain a lot, because I always put my phone in the inside pocket of my jacket. But then again, I only noticed this now... I can't believe this happened before. Are you 100% sure?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that notifications wake the screen based on proximity and/or light. Could be wrong though.

I think it is, at least for text messages. When I get a text, and the phone senses it's in a pocket or something (using proximity sensor), the screen does not light up. If I pull it out of my pocket within a few seconds of the notification, the screen will light up automatically.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it is, at least for text messages. When I get a text, and the phone senses it's in a pocket or something (using proximity sensor), the screen does not light up. If I pull it out of my pocket within a few seconds of the notification, the screen will light up automatically.

Using the proximity sensor would make sense. Because my screen stays black when I move the phone away from my ear after a call as well.

So perhaps something is wrong with proximity sensor? Anything known about this? Where is it exactly?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think this is normal. I don't remember either my Focus or Surround, turning on the screen when any notification comes in, beit in my pocket or sitting on the desk. I just hear a tone and I have to manually turn on the screen. Same thing with my 900.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Well it depends on what notification. Text messages it lights up I think. For e-mails it doesn't. Don't know about third party notifications.

Yeah, that's what I recall. But I don't get anything.

Also, when my alarm goes off, the screen doesn't live up either. So I first have to press unlock and then end the alarm.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I recall. But I don't get anything.

Also, when my alarm goes off, the screen doesn't live up either. So I first have to press unlock and then end the alarm.

Ideally your screen should only light up if the proximity sensor doesn't find anything against it.

However it won't light up for emails. For calls, texts, 3rd party toast notifications - it should light up if it's sitting on the table, not in coat pocket.

If your phone never lit up at all with a text message even on the table - proximity sensor is screwed. What phone is this again? Not a Lumia 900 surely!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
My HD7 has never lit up from the locked screen, when receiving a notification (to my knowledge).... and, I hope it stays that way. The reason being is, I don't want anyone else to see my toasts when I'm out of the room. It's a great WP touch that it'll only light up once it's sensed someone (preferably the owner) has picked it up to check the notification.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro