Apollo being tested on a Lumia 800

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Why won't they show us Apollo?

Because it's not ready yet and it would be an incredibly stupid business move to announce and promote the next gen OS now. It would only serve to undermine sales of the current phones because a lot of people would just wait for new phones with Apollo.

What a lot of people here fail to realize is that the vast majority of people buying phones do not surf all the rumor sites and haunt forums like this the way we do. They don't know what Apollo is or that it even exists. They aren't freaking out about whether or not their phone is going to get the next 12 major OS revisions. That is something only a small percentage of phone nut enthusiasts do.

The average consumer just needs to see WP7 and know it exists and that it's a viable alternative to iPhone and Android.

Announcing and demoing an OS that's probably a year away from actually shipping just to appease some phone nuts who claim they are going to leave the platform if their demands aren't met would be counterproductive. If you really like WP7, you're not going anywhere. If you're so fickle and bitter than you think you're going to hurt Microsoft by going to another platform to spite them because they couldn't retroactively update a 3 year old phone to the latest OS, then you deserve whatever you get. Go buy an Android.

Everyone just needs to be patient and ignore all these stupid rumors and speculation. Kvetching about this is an incredible waste of energy and it completely and utterly pointless. If anything, you will be hurting Windows phone by doing it because you are needlessly sowing the seeds of FUD in potential new customers.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
WP7 was tested on the HD2. Look at all the great information we got from that situation. Have to test on something. Everyone is not going ot build a new device everytime they have to develop a new OS revision, Lol.

Exactly.

They don't need to develop a prototype quad core i7 phone with a 128 gb SSD to test Apollo because it's going to be built with minimum requirements being specs that are already met by existing phones.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
If it works on the 800. Then it would work on every device. Not sure about 610 and the orbit but people claim it's being tested on that as well

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
What a lot of people here fail to realize is that the vast majority of people buying phones do not surf all the rumor sites and haunt forums like this the way we do.

Actually I think alot of us do realize that. But its those people who are going to be the most ah, "taken by surprise" should they find their 6 month old phone has been deemed "too old and outdated" for continued upgrades.

If anything, you will be hurting Windows phone by doing it because you are needlessly sowing the seeds of FUD in potential new customers.

A - it's not our job to play the part of MS PR advocate. If they want to put us on payroll, then maybe; but until then, we should feel free to discuss these things in a forum on a website that, ironic as it may seem to you, exists to discuss and inform people about Windows Phones.

and

B - I thought you just said the vast majoity of people buying phones don't surf rumor sites and haunt forums like this? Then how coold our "kvetching" possibly have any impact whatsoever on spreading FUD?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, they tested on the HD2 and didnt release WP7 for it. But that was just one model, and it wasnt being touted as a "Hero" device by a major US carrier, a European device maker trying to claw their way back to relevancy and a software maker that has seen its mobile presence wiped out in a few short years. The HD2 had the internal hardware to run WP7 but as they said, it would have been a Frankenstien experience compared to current devices that are now instantly recognisable as running WP.

The major difference today however is that we're not just talking about one device model, but several; the Lumia 610, 710, 800, 900, HTC Titan 1, Titan II and Radar 4G, and Samsung Focus S and Focus Flash. These are all current devices and in some cases will be less than 6 months old in some markets. Saying all these new phones are obsolete and people should dump them and buy new devices so soon to get new OS features is ridiculous; but not unprecedented. This is how it is in some cases with some android devices.

The question though is, can Microsoft afford to do this with the state WP is in now? I personally think not, however they may think differently and will act accordingly. One thing though is clear to everyone, even the most stupid WP team member; a lot of people will be ticked off and will swear off WP, and just as importantly the tech press, which is seemingly frantically hoping WP will fail, will seize on this and absolutely destroy Microsoft with negative coverage, aided and abetted by the scores of android fanboys.

It will make the Kin disaster seem like a walk on the beach.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well the HD2 was the only WM device that exceeded all the minimum requirements (barring chasis spec) for WP7. WM devices were almost universally underspeced. Why would they test on something that could barely run the OS, nevermind the fact most WM devices didn't have capacitive multi-touch screens, 1GHz snapdragon SoCs, 1GB ROM, 576 MB RAM, 5MP Camera, etc.

Yes, only one device, but it was really the only decent one that existed outside of using an Andorid device for the testing.

They did put it on the HD2, though assbackwardly, in the form of the HD7 which is basically an HD2 with a WP7-compliant chasis and slightly updated SoC. OEMs/Carriers got to make that money.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I REALLY can't wait til socialcarpet is proved wrong.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

On which point?

I have no idea if there will be an upgrade path to Apollo for current phones.

I'm optimistic about the platform in general.

I don't think Apollo is going to be designed with a minimum spec that is crazy high because that would go against Microsofts whole philosophy of doing more with less. But that doesn't mean it's going to be available for even the most recent WP7 phones.

Or maybe it will.

Either way, I'm not sure what I could be proven wrong on because unlike a lot of you, I'm not playing Nostradamus and predicting what's going to happen. I have no idea. None of us do, it's just that some of us let our imaginations and rumor sites carry us away and lead us into delusional fantasies that WE do know how this is all going to unfold.

All I've done is make observations based upon what we already know, so any observation I've made you can go ahead and try to prove wrong right now if you'd like.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Because it's not ready yet and it would be an incredibly stupid business move to announce and promote the next gen OS now. It would only serve to undermine sales of the current phones because a lot of people would just wait for new phones with Apollo.

Also, wouldn't it be stupid if Microsoft showed their hand, possibly giving their competition a leg up?

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Also, wouldn't it be stupid if Microsoft showed their hand, possibly giving their competition a leg up?

Its actully very simple. Nobody is asking them to reveal proprietary details of their operating system, just to let us know if the new phones people are buying on 2 year contracts will be compatible with the new OS they are preparing to launch.

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
"Originally Posted by socialcarpet:
Because it's not ready yet and it would be an incredibly stupid business move to announce and promote the next gen OS now."

You mean like Windows 8?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
"Originally Posted by socialcarpet:
Because it's not ready yet and it would be an incredibly stupid business move to announce and promote the next gen OS now."

You mean like Windows 8?

People don't buy computers on 2 year contracts. There aren't carriers involved. Microsoft has virtually no competition in desktop computing. They aren't going to ship Win Phone 8 beta for everyone to try on their phones.

There are about 10,000 factors which make the Windows 8 situation much different than the phone OS situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720