Skydrive users, go to Skydrive to upgrade your box to $25 GB

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Finally figured it out. I had to go to the PC site to upgrade. Again, when I signed in via the phone app there was no mention of any upgrade to the 25GB option. Only when I navigated to the PC site did I see the free upgrade option, which I opted for of course. Thanks for all the help guys and I hope this helps others too.

You qualify for the free upgrade to 25GB if you signed up for skydrive before April 22nd. So if you signed up before make you sure to go to the "PC skydrive" site and choose the upgrade option.

Oh lol. I thought you had looked at the PC site and didn't see anything. I didn't realize that you were maybe only on your phone.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
You qualify for the free upgrade to 25GB if you signed up for skydrive before April 22nd. So if you signed up before make you sure to go to the "PC skydrive" site and choose the upgrade option.

I still don't see any upgrade option, and my quota was never downgraded to 7 GB.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
You would think they would just automatically upgrade those who had it before but I guess not. And don't ya just love how they start out at one level then decide to down grade everyone and make you pay for it?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Bit of a shame they gave away a competitive advantage vs. Google Drive which will be launching soon, but expected given what they did with Zune Pass.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
OK I have 3 accounts, one I've had for years and the other two I opened sometime last year. For some reason I cannot upgrade one of the newer accounts. Anybody else having that problem? :mad:

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I signed on to skydrive and it shows my at 7GB. It also doesn't show anything where I can upgrade to 25GB. Did I miss it? Thanks.

I think you've missed it. That means you've never used Skydrive before or didn't upload anything to Skydrive as of 22nd April. This makes you stuck at 7GB.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Bad move imho, considering how limited the space is on handsets atm. Microsoft have just dented the WP armoury imho, and I bet it saves them little by way of cash.

Stupid stupid decision.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Bad move imho, considering how limited the space is on handsets atm. Microsoft have just dented the WP armoury imho, and I bet it saves them little by way of cash.

Stupid stupid decision.

But unless they are lying with their stats - 99.9% of users don't use more than 5gb anyway - so who actually cares beyond a minority like us?

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Stupid stupid decision.

I agree with cgk1, people who really need more than 7GB are a minority, and besides, users who want or need the 25GB (like me, I'm using 18GB) can still keep it, so what's the big deal.

Microsoft had to make this sooner or later. I mean, there's a reason why Dropbox only gives 2GB and iCloud 5GB.

All things considered, Skydrive still remains the one with more free storage...

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
But unless they are lying with their stats - 99.9% of users don't use more than 5gb anyway - so who actually cares beyond a minority like us?

99% at this point. Microsoft (and others) seem to have forgotten about the future. If they (and other companies) want to actively promote the cloud and expect it to become a centric service in the future, then they should really be offering as much space as possible. Hotmail offers 5GB of storage... for email!!

Microsoft have always been a leader/innovator in cloud-based services, and this showing is just below-par imho, if they want a service to become mainstream; they could have restricted users to 15GB, but instead of saying "here's 15GB all at once", simply done as they do with hotmail, and increased it as and when the user requires.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I was able to upgrade...uploaded a couple pictures over the last couple weeks along with some files...free upgrade to 25GB

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
You would think they would just automatically upgrade those who had it before but I guess not. And don't ya just love how they start out at one level then decide to down grade everyone and make you pay for it?
It's a free upgrade
Bit of a shame they gave away a competitive advantage vs. Google Drive which will be launching soon, but expected given what they did with Zune Pass.
there's still more free space than iCloud and drop box,plus it's more compatible with office and is much easier to share things. Watch the video on the front page? You'd know what this is all about if you did. Zune pass still offers more than the others $10/month for unlimited streaming,downloads and music videos.

Stupid stupid decision.

they haven't dented anything,see my statements above.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you've missed it. That means you've never used Skydrive before or didn't upload anything to Skydrive as of 22nd April. This makes you stuck at 7GB.

Ahhhh, I see. You had to USE it before the dead line, that explains it then. Still think it's a stupid move but whatever.

Why Open 2-3 Accounts when you can use Aliases in Hotmail? Just curious

Hmmm... I didn't really pay attention to that. Does every alias get the same space or do they share the total?

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't do anything either, and just happened to notice it read 25 GB yesterday. Everybody must get it now, friends: the WinLive Sign-up/Sign-in screen now reads "25 GB of free storage" for the SkyDrive feature.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

The same people who care that other phones have Dual Core/Quad Core 1GB RAM 32-64GB internal storage SD Cards, 400k apps, etc.

As in, a ton of people. Numbers matter. Having more just in case you someday need it is ALWAYS better than having less and being burned even when you realize you do need it.

The carriers said the same thing about the data caps and 2GB vs. Unlimited, BTW...

Additionally, it's not hard to go over 5GB if you use your phone's Camera and Camcorder a lot and store all your stuff on Windows Live becuase you don't want it on Facebook or to have extra accounts for YouTube and other services. 5GB isn't a lot of storage. 30 seconds of 720p recording on my Vibrant was like 40+MB and 5MP pictures are over 1MB each. Nevermind Documents, eBooks, Music, etc. that you may have on there.

Google gets around this with their 5GB Drive by having YouTube, Google+/Picasa, and Google Music under their banner (so you can offload much of the storage using the same Google Account/Service). Microsoft doesn't have that luxury. SO unless you want dispirate logins with services that are ill-integrated you will want more storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99