Beauty is as beauty does (n't)...

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Somebody kill this thread.

Guy comes on complaining about known WP7 issues, raves about Android. Why? What's the point?

Like nobody here has ever used Android before...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
it makes sense... microsoft at this moment has a total of what, 10-15 phones to choose from? maybe a few more.... android has 100's. that was my point. that alone will increase marketshare exponantially. we are passionate about our OS , thats all. i remember being in the android central forums and waiting days to get a response. its not like this forum. we are supporting an OS that nobody cares about, because they simply dont know enough to care. we are in an uphill battle against two mobile giants, and defend our OS daily. we have to listen to all the hate threads, blogs, news, rumors, ect...and it gets old. all i want is for people to understand that although it may not be for everyone, our platform is BEAUTIFULY DIFFERENT. and even with its limitations, it preforms better than android. so a lot of the strong comments, come from our passion. and if we didnt have to listen to all the negativity all the time, maybe things would be different.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
why do people buy a $100 android phone and then complain that it's slow?? derp derpp

I have no issues whatsoever on my galaxy s2, and battery life is much better than my wp7 was... That's also considering it is ten times as powerful and I can do way more on it.

These arguments always turn into a bunch of made up bs about android and a bunch of whiny fanboys being all jelly...

U MAD??

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Somebody kill this thread.

Guy comes on complaining about known WP7 issues, raves about Android. Why? What's the point?

Like nobody here has ever used Android before...

oh fer cryin' out loud! I did NOT "rave about Android"! While I did post about "known WP 7issues - there have been at least TWO count them TWO MS updates as afar as I know since the WP7 inceptionand these "known issues" did NOT get addresses in EITHER update! Not Mango from Nodo and not in the 8107 so it makes one wonder WHAT is going to NOT also be in the "Apollo" update?

Is it raving to recognize that Android phones seem to be doing the basics that WP7 is lacking? Is it raving to KNOW that my ancient SCP 8400 Sanyo FEATURE phone can do things this HIGH END SMARTPHONE cannot?

Do I have a laptop? Yes - it weighs 7 lbs and is also a convertible tablet PC - but not exactly something I want to tote around much.
Do I have a netbook? Yes, but even this isn't as portable as a SMARTPHONE.
Do I have a PDA? Yeah - a few - A Toshiba E4 something or other running windows mobile and a Palm T3, not to mention my archaic HP 620LX. Out of those 3 I suppose I could resurrect the Palm T3 because the Toshiba's memory is volatile and disappears if the battery goes dead! And the HP runs wince. The T3 only supports up to 2GB SD cards, which I can swap out my Camera card into the T3 like I used to years ago. AND I have extended battery packs for two of these devices and a power inverter for the jeep.

So I suppose I could revert to what I did and used what was fairly decent back over 5 years ago....

a laptop, a pda, a digital camera, a cell phone, a library of media cards - one with spreadsheets, one with business contacts and word documents, one with presentations and one with music, and power supply to go - but gee I THOUGHT that's what SMARTPHONES were DESIGNED to do -
combine these things into one professional, functional, connectable device!

Oh but silly me - what was I thinking? No a SMARTphone is NOT meant to be a PDA and a communication device and a mobile office terminal, uh uh a SMARTPHONE is simply a glorified NES or PSP for ANgry Birds!

Gee whiz! The horrors of expectations to get my money's worth or to believe the manufacturer about getting things done - or integration! And how dare I say I saw an Android phone do something that WP7 cannot - when these WP7 devices are just sooo sleek and smooth and look so beautiful!

oh wait! does that mean that WP7 is the gorgeous dumb blonde in the room? Great chassis, but vacant upstairs? no wonder so many of you are getting defensive - oh don't pick on the pretty one... she can't help it if she's built like that. Who cares if she can't count to ten or tie her own shoes? Don't she look grand?

ACK!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
@ irlju: Umm, hello? That's exactly my point! AN outdated (?) Feature Phone like my Sanyo scp-8400 CAN be used as a simple USB device - but this new high tech SMARTPHONE can' be read via usb cable? NOR does it have an on board file locater that reads device files AND the micro sd card files! I cannot create file folders on board the WP7 but can on the Sanyo! so what good is 16GB of storage if 1) I can't reach it 2) can't find it 3) can;t even organize files to suit MY needs?
Emphasis: YOUR needs.

Next to no one gives a damn whether the operating system is more capable - if they did, the iPhone would have catastrophically flopped. The mass market doesn't need to make freaking file folders on their phones. Microsoft is not aiming at a niche audience such as yours, and if they did they'd either doom themselves to their current market share, or become the jack of all trades and master of none - Android in its infancy.

Simple version: get over yourself. Your specific needs are in no way indicative of the smartphone market, which is widening by the day as users come from feature phones - yes, ones with file explorers - to smartphones. A heck of a lot of them seem to be picking up iPhones, especially in America. A smartphone is not defined by the raw amount of functionality possible, or indeed by specific use cases that certain individuals love to bring up time and time again.

But by all means, if you think you've really cracked the puzzle and know how to define a smartphone - go and call up Ballmer and Cook, and give them a piece of your mind. I'm sure executives at Apple and Microsoft have NEVER heard similar complaints - you must be a genius to come up with them!

No, but really - bugger off with this nonsensical filth.

Try again. You're just restarting everything everyone else has said before. There's a reason Android is winning, and truthfully Microsoft should have had every advantage in the world coming into this fight, so again the question, why is WP7 getting crushed?
I don't have to try again when you've done nothing to refute my points. You can't bludgeon your way through this one, you're on a Windows Phone forum. Get your act together then we'll talk.

Fact: great products flop in the market. Google has a good name with consumers, and entered the market at the right time. It was alleviated to success through significant pushes by certain carriers who needed an alternative to the iPhone. It got in to the market when an alternative was required. Now, it's the Symbian period all over again, where the mass market has a device that's better than what they had before (unnamed proprietary OSes), but still not geared towards making their experience better and simpler.

Why does Windows Phone have the advantage? It doesn't have carrier support, it's late, it's now a saturated market, and Microsoft is not a notable brand in the way Google and Apple are. Truth be told, I'm not even going to bother to read your reasoning, since your opening paragraph was so damn awful.

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
why do people buy a $100 android phone and then complain that it's slow?? derp derpp

I have no issues whatsoever on my galaxy s2, and battery life is much better than my wp7 was... That's also considering it is ten times as powerful and I can do way more on it.

These arguments always turn into a bunch of made up bs about android and a bunch of whiny fanboys being all jelly...

U MAD??

And it's a rinse and repeat and just replace the name of the OS on the competing forums. So let's not pretend it's just on this board. I'm a member of Crackberry and AndroidCentral and they ALL sing the same sad pathetic songs

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
oh fer cryin' out loud! I did NOT "rave about Android"! While I did post about "known WP 7issues - there have been at least TWO count them TWO MS updates as afar as I know since the WP7 inceptionand these "known issues" did NOT get addresses in EITHER update! Not Mango from Nodo and not in the 8107 so it makes one wonder WHAT is going to NOT also be in the "Apollo" update?

Is it raving to recognize that Android phones seem to be doing the basics that WP7 is lacking? Is it raving to KNOW that my ancient SCP 8400 Sanyo FEATURE phone can do things this HIGH END SMARTPHONE cannot?

Do I have a laptop? Yes - it weighs 7 lbs and is also a convertible tablet PC - but not exactly something I want to tote around much.
Do I have a netbook? Yes, but even this isn't as portable as a SMARTPHONE.
Do I have a PDA? Yeah - a few - A Toshiba E4 something or other running windows mobile and a Palm T3, not to mention my archaic HP 620LX. Out of those 3 I suppose I could resurrect the Palm T3 because the Toshiba's memory is volatile and disappears if the battery goes dead! And the HP runs wince. The T3 only supports up to 2GB SD cards, which I can swap out my Camera card into the T3 like I used to years ago. AND I have extended battery packs for two of these devices and a power inverter for the jeep.

So I suppose I could revert to what I did and used what was fairly decent back over 5 years ago....

a laptop, a pda, a digital camera, a cell phone, a library of media cards - one with spreadsheets, one with business contacts and word documents, one with presentations and one with music, and power supply to go - but gee I THOUGHT that's what SMARTPHONES were DESIGNED to do -
combine these things into one professional, functional, connectable device!

Oh but silly me - what was I thinking? No a SMARTphone is NOT meant to be a PDA and a communication device and a mobile office terminal, uh uh a SMARTPHONE is simply a glorified NES or PSP for ANgry Birds!

Gee whiz! The horrors of expectations to get my money's worth or to believe the manufacturer about getting things done - or integration! And how dare I say I saw an Android phone do something that WP7 cannot - when these WP7 devices are just sooo sleek and smooth and look so beautiful!

oh wait! does that mean that WP7 is the gorgeous dumb blonde in the room? Great chassis, but vacant upstairs? no wonder so many of you are getting defensive - oh don't pick on the pretty one... she can't help it if she's built like that. Who cares if she can't count to ten or tie her own shoes? Don't she look grand?

ACK!

LMAO while I'm all for you getting something that works for you, generalizing the OS and making god awful sexist comparisons to women is pointless and cliche'. For most of your notification problems, for someone like me who has tried all OS' out there, I could care less about seeing that light go off until I check my notification. TBH it annoyed me that it wouldn't stop until something was checked. And I have no problems with Microsoft documents and opening things in skydrive and my experience is pleasant

But that's the problem: People REPEAT themselves in a topic to try and rub their opinions off as a guideline for others to follow. Just find what you need and be done with it

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm 100% sure I can approach all of my family and friends with an Android device (OFFLINE) and they probably wouldn't know they had a file explorer, let alone what it's meant for. "Well can't I just go into said app and manually delete and change stuff in there" would PROBABLY be the general answer. So yeah, it's all about what works for you. I personally don't mind input from members saying what they like to see in WP but the CONSTANT rehashing from certain members in SEVERAL topics is overly annoying. It's like that across Mobile Nation

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
One aspect of the integration is with Office, which it does very nicely.

I really don't understand these posts. If you don't like it take it back and be done with it. Why bother posting about it?

ThomasT626

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't dislike WP7. I'm waiting for a WP7 phone on Verizon. But the hatred and misunderstanding of Android here is inexplicable and incredibly off-putting. I agree that Android's marketshare could very possibly fall--Apple is selling a ****ton of iphones. And your reasoning re: Android/WP7 don't really make sense--there were a ton of WP7 phones released by multiple manufacturers. Microsoft was smart not to go the Apple route there.

Being someone who currently owns a Thunderbolt on Verizon, I completely agree. I was thinking about switching to ATT for the Lumia 900, but decided against it. My Thunderbolt has turned into a relatively great device after the updates. And a big thanks to the OP for giving us current Android users a taste of some things we'd currently miss with WP.

I'm due for an upgrade in November and I'll seriously consider switching to WP if Verizon releases an Apollo phone. Until then, threads like this just better inform me as a consumer with no real hands-on WP experience, but an interest in the platform. If you've had a bad experience with Android, fine. No need to trash the OP though for his thoughts on the differences between the two. That's very off-putting.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No need to trash the OP though for his thoughts on the differences between the two. That's very off-putting.
There are many threads which point out the fallacies of Windows Phone without presenting it as useless next to a feature phone. The problem is that the OP seems to believe that his specific needs for a smartphone are indicative of the mass market's needs, and that Windows Phone is inferior as a platform because it doesn't match up to his personal expectations of a smartphone (he expects functionality present in only one of the major platforms).

Windows Phone isn't for everyone. I have helped many friends choose an Android device and in some cases, provide tech support when things go wrong. This is because I see the distinction between what I need in a phone and what others need. The OP does not see this, and hence this whole thread appears to be borderline trolling.

Last edited:

madhouse1616

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as android versus iphone sales, I would like to see some statistics showing what percentage of android sales are from phones that cost $50 or less. Currently the only iphone in that price range is the 3GS on AT&T. I am of the opinion that low priced android phones are part of the reason for android having the market share it has. I am interested to see how android sales are affected when the next iphone is released. Verizon and AT&T should both have the iphone at free or near free, mid-range and top end prices.

To me this is the "real" advantage android has enjoyed and why it's so widespread...has nothing to with the os per se but the fact that they've been able to make it cheaply which has allowed manufacters a larger profit margin on phone sales ...thus increased market penatration

In addition...admittedly there are some things that microsoft should have done when introducing wp7 but to me this is no different than android or ios...I'm sure they are going to catch up..no different when android was introduced people bi**hed and whined about what it didn't do or why is anyone intrested because there aren't enough apps?? remember those days

Last edited:

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Recent job hours reductions forced me off my WP7 Arrive as a smartphone to just a PDA and back to the Feature Phone Sanyo scp8400.

What has come to light is that I DO prefer custom alert tones for DIFFERENT notices which come through fine on the Sanyo, but as we all know are NOT available on WP! Hmmm, but Android does, and so does iOS now.

I cannot exchange the great pix and videos from my Arrive to my Netbook or my laptop unless I have ZUNE AND a Wi FI connection - not always available when I am in the field. WHY isn't Bluetooth file exchange turned on? But hmmm, Android does bluetooth file exchange.

My WP7 phone ( and most of the ones out there) don't even utilize a micro SD card - so cannot simply swap a card to change files! But the Sanyo feature phone has a swappable micro SD card! As do most Android phones.

I have no file explorer on board. But the Sanyo feature phone does! I can view files saved o the phone as well as files saved to the card.

WP7 touts "integration" - but with WHAT? I can't use it as a USB device - but my Sanyo feature phone does!

Skydrive files don't want to open on my phone, and if they open it is read only - they aren't editable and my phone files don't want to open in skydrive! The office app installed on the phone is NOT backwards compatible with older Office files - and converting them is creating a nightmare of files between my laptop, skydrive and the phone and requires an investment of incredible amounts of time as well as an upgrade of office to the tune of close to 200.00!

Synchronzing of files via ZUNE is NOT quick, nor intuitive, nor synchronistic! Files get duplicated, not deleted, or deleted on one device and not the other requiring me to follow behind the sync to clean up the mess!

Even as simply a WI-FI device my notices from facebook, and through people hub don't update automatically.

IF I was to get a tablet - I couldn't exchange anything with my phone unless there was a Wi-FI, and then its very likely that any files exchanged couldn't be edited anyway , connection so this pretty to look at smartphone ends up pretty dumb!

I'm rebuilding my service business as part time income and will need a way to:

1) take photos and videos, quickly draw lines on them to emphasize features and points of interest or that need attention.
2) Offer input of findings to excel spread sheets.
3) Create invoices.
4) Take payments while in the field - using MORE than just a Wi-FI but none of the Card reader companies look like they are or will be supporting WP devices!
5) Recognize various communication alerts to know which ones to respond to immediately or ones that can wait a few moments, so as not to interrupt work at hand.

The current 8107 update doesn't address ANY of these issues.

Sure WP7 is visually pleasing; except that I cannot even personalize the device beyond ten colors of tiles. So far the device itself has NOT been buggy. The Arrive is solid, but the physical case buttons are all in the wrong places and persistently aggravate me when they get bumped. The screen is crystal clear, responsive with no visible pixelation; but the capacitive buttons are extremely annoying and seem hypersensitive. Marketplace apps are growing, but I don't give a crap about games of war or Angry birds or Pac Man! I simply want but to have a device actually INTEGRATE with actual business TOOLS (that Microsoft created and I already use)! It appears that I looked in the wrong place to "get things done"!

:unsure: Am beginning to think that the "dark side of Android" may be just a gray area afterall - because things for me here in WP7 land are looking pretty dim!
Don't know why you felt the need to post your wall of text but I guess adios to ya.

Oh, and a word of advise. Never tell strangers your personal problems. 80% of us don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Don't know why you felt the need to post your wall of text but I guess adios to ya.

Oh, and a word of advise. Never tell strangers your personal problems. 80% of us don't care and the other 20% are glad you have them.

Where do you fit?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
@ irlju: say what? "nonsensical filth"? "trolling"? "YOUR needs"?

I don't suppose YOU'VE loaded the "Suggestion Box" app on your WP have you?

If you did you'd see that as of today - 04-26-12:

12929 votes are in by people wanting custom sounds for SMS,MMS,EMAIL notifications;
14,788 votes are in by people wanting bluetooth file transfer (from three different suggestions)!
11488 votes are in by people wanting USB transfer/storage capabilities.
3376 votes are in by people wanting a File Explorer/Manager system on device.

oh, and irlju.... those votes are NOT all posted by ME - nope - there are a LOT of Windows Phone users who have voted on these as well as many other "wants" for WP.

That's 42,581 votes from people using the same platform that want the same things in their device as me- huh - IMAGINE THAT! oh but I suppose you'd say we are all just looking for that pie in the sky utopian device, right? These votes are coming in from more than your supposition of "hardly next to no one cares about the operating system".

Considering that these few things are something that MS had already offered in their OLDER WinMO devices, these simple suggestions to enable or implement actions shouldn't have been left off this high end device in the first place, so IF they were available these abilities just MAY bring a new crowd of purchasers to WP!

The Suggestion box app is only utilized by people already USING WP - so don't presume we are trolls! The suggestions are made in the hopes that MS is actually listening beyond the flibbertygibbets that simply want the newest rendition of some game or social app.

Just think of it for a moment... a pocketable device that CAN do the business side, CAN transfer files easily among devices via bluetooth, and has a solid, easy to use, stunning OS that interacts well with social sites.

I've had to email each of my office files to myself off the device individually, email by email per file because there is no file manager to select multiple files to attach. As a matter of fact when sending an attachment from the email it simply defaults to photos! You have to be in the Office app on each individual file in order to email it! That is NOT efficient or smooth or integrated. Now I have to open each individual email and send to skydrive!

I've reset the Office app according to the WP help site. Downloaded an excel file, edited it, saved it and when the device synced with skydrive it created a second file - a copy of the original but with a new file name synced again, and now there are two tiles on my device with the same file name! IS this happening to anyone else using WP7 and Office?

Obviously this is not a forum wherein people can exchange experiences or thoughts - but simply a club for fans, how dare I speak in favor of an alternate OS or an old feature phone?

Anyone here ever belong to a car club? Whether VW or Vette each car owner prefers their vehicle over the other, for specific reasons and each owner will vehemently defend his car as being BETTER than the other, yet each car owner will still tinker with their own car to improve it or make it stand out from the crowd. Some will even borrow ideas from the other to make their car "better still"!

WP has a decent engine on a working chassis but the linkage between transmission and engine is broken - so the vehicle just simply looks good sitting there! You can sit in it and listen to it go vroom vroom - but you can't USE it to even get your groceries! Forget about using it for work!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
@ irlju: say what? "nonsensical filth"? "trolling"? "YOUR needs"?

I don't suppose YOU'VE loaded the "Suggestion Box" app on your WP have you?

If you did you'd see that as of today - 04-26-12:

12929 votes are in by people wanting custom sounds for SMS,MMS,EMAIL notifications;
14,788 votes are in by people wanting bluetooth file transfer (from three different suggestions)!
11488 votes are in by people wanting USB transfer/storage capabilities.
3376 votes are in by people wanting a File Explorer/Manager system on device.

oh, and irlju.... those votes are NOT all posted by ME - nope - there are a LOT of Windows Phone users who have voted on these as well as many other "wants" for WP.

That's 42,581 votes from people using the same platform that want the same things in their device as me- huh - IMAGINE THAT! oh but I suppose you'd say we are all just looking for that pie in the sky utopian device, right? These votes are coming in from more than your supposition of "hardly next to no one cares about the operating system".

Considering that these few things are something that MS had already offered in their OLDER WinMO devices, these simple suggestions to enable or implement actions shouldn't have been left off this high end device in the first place, so IF they were available these abilities just MAY bring a new crowd of purchasers to WP!

The Suggestion box app is only utilized by people already USING WP - so don't presume we are trolls! The suggestions are made in the hopes that MS is actually listening beyond the flibbertygibbets that simply want the newest rendition of some game or social app.

I've had to email each of my office files to myself off the device individually, email by email per file because there is no file manager to select multiple files to attach. As a matter of fact when sending an attachment from the email it simply defaults to photos! You have to be in the Office app on each individual file in order to email it! That is NOT efficient or smooth or integrated. Now I have to open each individual email and send to skydrive!

I've reset the Office app according to the WP help site. Downloaded an excel file, edited it, saved it and when the device synced with skydrive it created a second file - a copy of the original but with a new file name synced again, and now there are two tiles on my device with the same file name! IS this happening to anyone else using WP7 and Office?

Sorry to pee on your parade. I am going to answer your post regarding office, but first let me again clarify that although you try your best to come across as someone who wants to positively and constructively criticize the OS, your misinformed, misresearched and half truth claims make me think otherwise. Suggestion Box App can be used other than app - online. People can vote. In places like that and uservoice- the user can vote place upto 3 votes per suggestion. Also one user can log in with at least 3 ways. Here is an example. I've voted in developer user voice for a suggestion regarding APIs with 9 votes! 1 person, 9 votes yes. I logged in with FB id - 3 votes, Twitter - 3 votes, my hotmail id - 3 votes.

So even if those votes are by only 1 log in, potentially 3 votes per person so technically about 14,000 WP users including you - want those features. Did you know based on FB integration via WP, it's estimated 2 days ago that there are 12 million handsets out there?

14,000 suggestion deciding what MSFT should do for 12 million handsets? REALLY???

This is considering not everyone like me wants to vote a lot. However, hypothetically someone was as pathetic as me and gave 9 votes a suggestion, we are looking at ONLY 5111 users demanding these changes!!!

Also you said somewhere that MSFT don't listen to user voice and suggestion boxes? Did you witness NoDo to Mango transition? Go to user voice and look at the tab that says "accepted" - those ideas were included between this transition. They are at least 88 of them!!

Now coming to your issue.

You DOWNLOADED an Excel file. That means you saved a copy on your Phone. Then you synced the file that means you UPLOADED A COPY to SkyDrive - This shows why you have 2 tiles.

The tiles are merely a list of items you 'recently' opened. My suggestion would be OPEN a file in SkyDrive, edit it and just click SAVE. NOT SAVE AS. If you do SAVE AS, it will ask you to make a local copy or upload and this is where you think you are duplicating.

Don't go by the tiles in your 'recent documents' - Go by what is inside the folders under the scree LOCATIONS. i.e. what is inside Skydrive is on your skydrive. What is inside your Phone folder is locally on your phone. What is on your SharePoint folder is on sharepoint and what is on OFFFICE365 is on Office365.

Hope this clears up the confusion with the Windows Phone and Office. As I said earlier in your my post - I have a feeling you are not using the Office Hub as it should be used. Also get the SkyDrive app. I am still wondering why would you want to do that one file one email. If you want to send a few files to someone, just go to skydrive app, make a folder for say "John" put files for John in that folder. Long tap, create a share link and give that link to John in an email. That way you don't have to email him the files and he can see those files, edit them on your Skydrive so you can get updated files on your skydrive after he is done fiddling with it. And in future if you need to share exact same files John edited with Tom, you can send the link to Tom and now Tom and John and see and edit as they wish!

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That suggestion box app is useless as every suggestion is filled with a ton of people saying they like it that way, even for stuff that is obviously broken or deficient. Either it works for them or they like it that way. Useless until they start moderating that site, IMO.

Also NoDo to mango transition has nothing to do wiht a suggestion box since IIRC that app didn't exist until after Mango was released. Mango was just the rest of WP7 that they wanted to put in the 1.0 release but coulnd't because they had to rush it to market ASAP.

There is too much noise at that site. It's hard to get to the people with legit posts about the issues listed because it's spammed by defenders. Same thing happens at the Android site, BTW, which is why I never paid it any mind either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234