Beauty is as beauty does (n't)...

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That suggestion box app is useless as every suggestion is filled with a ton of people saying they like it that way, even for stuff that is obviously broken or deficient. Either it works for them or they like it that way. Useless until they start moderating that site, IMO.

Also NoDo to mango transition has nothing to do wiht a suggestion box since IIRC that app didn't exist until after Mango was released. Mango was just the rest of WP7 that they wanted to put in the 1.0 release but coulnd't because they had to rush it to market ASAP.

There is too much noise at that site. It's hard to get to the people with legit posts about the issues listed because it's spammed by defenders. Same thing happens at the Android site, BTW, which is why I never paid it any mind either.

Plus, the couple times I went there, I saw people posting the same suggestions over and over instead of voting for a suggestion that already existed. Just like how on forums not many people search before posting a new thread. They really need to start moderating that site. It's a mess.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Plus, the couple times I went there, I saw people posting the same suggestions over and over instead of voting for a suggestion that already existed. Just like how on forums not many people search before posting a new thread. They really need to start moderating that site. It's a mess.

It is a mess, but I don't think it's meant to be anything but a way to collect ideas and get a crude estimate of how popular then are. It really doesn't matter how well moderated it is. Someone will have the job of going through the responses and sorting them out, but it's not intended to be a scientific survey.

I think it's a good thing that the site and app exist; it's good to give users a chance to express their likes and dislikes. But everything they get has to be filtered through their own design philosophy and vision for WP. As others have pointed out, it's not meant to be just a pastiche of other OS features. It's supposed to be a new way of doing things.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
It is a mess, but I don't think it's meant to be anything but a way to collect ideas and get a crude estimate of how popular then are. It really doesn't matter how well moderated it is. Someone will have the job of going through the responses and sorting them out, but it's not intended to be a scientific survey.

I think it's a good thing that the site and app exist; it's good to give users a chance to express their likes and dislikes. But everything they get has to be filtered through their own design philosophy and vision for WP. As others have pointed out, it's not meant to be just a pastiche of other OS features. It's supposed to be a new way of doing things.

But it's hard to find out how popular an idea is if you have the votes split across seven suggestions that are pretty much the same. And actually, I don't think you can search for suggestions on that site. That's probably why people post new suggestions instead of looking to see if someone has already suggested it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
But it's hard to find out how popular an idea is if you have the votes split across seven suggestions that are pretty much the same. And actually, I don't think you can search for suggestions on that site. That's probably why people post new suggestions instead of looking to see if someone has already suggested it.

Even if there was a search option, no one would use it. Just glance at our forums! ;)

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

That's why it'll take actual human beings to sort the various suggestions into stacks of variations on a theme--not that hard to do, really.

The only way to avoid the duplicate suggestions would be to structure it as a poll of some sort, with predefined suggestions. But that would defeat (part of) the purpose, which is to get ideas.

ThomasT626

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
There are many threads which point out the fallacies of Windows Phone without presenting it as useless next to a feature phone. The problem is that the OP seems to believe that his specific needs for a smartphone are indicative of the mass market's needs, and that Windows Phone is inferior as a platform because it doesn't match up to his personal expectations of a smartphone (he expects functionality present in only one of the major platforms).

Windows Phone isn't for everyone. I have helped many friends choose an Android device and in some cases, provide tech support when things go wrong. This is because I see the distinction between what I need in a phone and what others need. The OP does not see this, and hence this whole thread appears to be borderline trolling.

Eh, I look at it more as constructive criticism. Maybe harsh in tone, but it's no different than how someone like me acted when my Thunderbolt had it's constant issues when first released. It pisses you off, lol. Outspoken criticism is a good way to get things corrected and corrected sooner rather than later, hence my appreciation for the direct and blunt criticism coming from someone who felt the same way with my Android phone at first. Now most issues have been resolved.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
OMG this thread is a disaster! Never have I expected to find such an XDA quality thread here on WPCentral. Where are the mods? If I were a mod this thread would be closed and at least 4 bans would be handed out.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Very possible. The mods here are less heavy handed than in ome of the forums where I have been a member. I am a moderator at a treo site still and mo0st of the traffic there is spam and about 4 or 5 of us who converse about stuff besides treos.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
As far as android versus iphone sales, I would like to see some statistics showing what percentage of android sales are from phones that cost $50 or less. Currently the only iphone in that price range is the 3GS on AT&T. I am of the opinion that low priced android phones are part of the reason for android having the market share it has. I am interested to see how android sales are affected when the next iphone is released. Verizon and AT&T should both have the iphone at free or near free, mid-range and top end prices.

What is your definition of Mid-Range? There are Dual Core Android phones wiht qHD screens for near mid-range prices these days released a year ago that are more future proof than even the newest WP7 devices...

Prices drop, and lot sof times consumers wait on purchases specifically to get them at a lower price. It just so happens that you get a much better value waiting on Android or iOS than you do waiting on WP7, because the hardware has consistently been 1-2 years behind the competition. Even Blackberry OS 7 phones launched with better hardware than WP7 devices back when both were put on the market. Yes, that all matters.

Not sure why you'd care about how much people are paying for the devices. It's not like WP7 doesn't have cheap phones like the Focus Flash and Lumia 710... ...

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
OMG this thread is a disaster! Never have I expected to find such an XDA quality thread here on WPCentral. Where are the mods? If I were a mod this thread would be closed and at least 4 bans would be handed out.

why is it a disaster? there are good points being made from both sides.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
why do people buy a $100 android phone and then complain that it's slow?? derp derpp

I have no issues whatsoever on my galaxy s2, and battery life is much better than my wp7 was... That's also considering it is ten times as powerful and I can do way more on it.

These arguments always turn into a bunch of made up bs about android and a bunch of whiny fanboys being all jelly...

U MAD??

Y r u trolling about wp. There's perfectly nothin wrong with it I'm my opinion. There's no point of you bashing wp just becuase you don't like it. We like it u know. Trolls ....... Pathetic waste of time

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
There are many threads which point out the fallacies of Windows Phone without presenting it as useless next to a feature phone. The problem is that the OP seems to believe that his specific needs for a smartphone are indicative of the mass market's needs, and that Windows Phone is inferior as a platform because it doesn't match up to his personal expectations of a smartphone (he expects functionality present in only one of the major platforms).

Windows Phone isn't for everyone. I have helped many friends choose an Android device and in some cases, provide tech support when things go wrong. This is because I see the distinction between what I need in a phone and what others need. The OP does not see this, and hence this whole thread appears to be borderline trolling.

Same here. Online and off, I have NO problem sitting and listening to someone explain to me what they need out of a phone, and then help them decide which OS would be better for them. Except for my family LOL cause my mom doesn't know what she wants

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Suggestion Box App can be used other than app - online. People can vote. In places like that and uservoice- the user can vote place upto 3 votes per suggestion.
Understood already which is why I only note vote quantities for the suggestions and didn't attempt to extrapolate quantity of actual persons voting. Still, to use your extrapolation of over 14 thousand people - simply means that 14,000 people took the time to try and make their voice heard by a faceless, nameless corporate entity - that, as many have already accepted "rushed" a device to market If I was in marketing and saw that 14000 people who already OWNED our device were continuing to make suggestions daily - I'd say that there was definitely a good basis for implementing what the users wanted!

You do understand that what so many of us are looking for are things that MS has already done for their devices and phones in the past, right? We aren't asking for holographic projection or 3D displays! Just simple user interfacing and true integration for an actual smartphone.

Did you witness NoDo to Mango transition? Go to user voice and look at the tab that says "accepted" - those ideas were included between this transition. They are at least 88 of them!!

Um, "witness"? No, but as soon as I got my Arrive I installed ZUNE and did the update to Mango. I purchased my Arrive after the Mango update had been issued. But I did visit User voice and review the updates that were implemented in 7.5 and frankly am a bit taken aback at how many simple feature phone functions people were asking for and MS decided to accept the suggestions that really should have been on the device from the get go. Maybe it is becoming acceptable practice by corporations to get a partly functioning device in their customer's hands (after digging deeply in to the customers pockets) then saying OOPs we forgot something :straight: - so we'll send out an update - or worse yet - you are simply holding the device wrong. But I'm a bit old school and expect that when I buy something costing several hundred dollars, that it should work as advertised NOW - not six months or a year from NOW.

You DOWNLOADED an Excel file. That means you saved a copy on your Phone. Then you synced the file that means you UPLOADED A COPY to SkyDrive - This shows why you have 2 tiles.

The tiles are merely a list of items you 'recently' opened. My suggestion would be OPEN a file in SkyDrive, edit it and just click SAVE. NOT SAVE AS. If you do SAVE AS, it will ask you to make a local copy or upload and this is where you think you are duplicating.

No, this is not what works - this still creates two different files. the files are not SYNCING. They are merely uploading and downloading to the two different locations. Doesn't synchronize mean that if I change a file in one location that it updates the file in the other location when uploaded and/or downloaded?
1) I created a simple test file in excel on the Arrive. named it, saved it to phone.
2) made a simple change tapped save. It kept the file on the phone as expected with the simple change.
3) Then I listed another change and tapped save as - this is when it offered a new file name with and added (1) and offered the option to save on the phone or on skydrive. I cancelled out - because I wanted neither, nor did I want a new file name.
4) opened the file on the phone again, made another simple change then saved. File remained on phone and tile reflected the location as well as the original file name. Great!
5) opened file back up on phone,made another small change, selected "SHARE" which offers my email options as well as skydrive. Selected skydrive and phone connected. Tile now shows same named file on one tile with location of skydrive, and another tile with same name location as phone.
6) open the file from phone location displays file before the change #5 but open the file from skydrive it shows change #5.

There is no synchronizing happening. Either the file is on skydrive, or its on the phone whether I access the file from skydrive or from the phone - once "shared" it should reflect the most current location as well as the most current information.

The most recently tapped tile of either location moves to the top left of the grid - but that's no easy way to recall which file was last altered is it?

The reason for emailing each file was to clear it off the phone so I wouldn't lose every file when I RESET office.

The Skydrive app I had to manually update to v 2. ( no telling why automatic updates didn't work) Opened app, it connected via Wi-FI. Listed my files, folders,shows the number of files on the folder - nifty. I selected the test file, it opened in what breifly appeared as a browser window. I made a small change saved and went back to Office hub. THe skydrive tile shows the new change, but the phone tile with the same name STILL only shows the file from before change #5!

So this tells me that skydrive ONLY syncs files with itself - which is NOT syncing so much as just saving to that location each time - right? A true sync would have just one file with the same info even if was now located on the phone or on skydrive!

So again it shows the limitation that only IF the device is within cell or wifi range can you modify a file and keep it current via the skydrive app. Turn off wifi or get outside cell range and the app cannot even open the file.

So go to office hub and you can open the file, edit, but when saving ( out of range or with wi-fi off) an error message returns stating cannot connect to server but changes have been temporarily saved to phone.Please try again later.

Turn wifi back on and go to office hub tile with skydrive location, but it doesn't show most recent edit. Of course tile on phone location doesn't either - its still stuck in revisions prior to #5! GO to skydrive app and after it opens in browser window the newest edit shows on the app , and also in the office hub.

So still there is no integration or syncing - simply storage and retrieval via skydrive.

any other ideas?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No, this is not what works - this still creates two different files. the files are not SYNCING. They are merely uploading and downloading to the two different locations. Doesn't synchronize mean that if I change a file in one location that it updates the file in the other location when uploaded and/or downloaded?
  1. Created an Excel spreadsheet on computer
  2. Saved spreadsheet to SkyDrive folder
  3. Opened spreadsheet on phone through SkyDrive integration in Office hub
  4. Made change to spreadsheet on phone
  5. Clicked save and jumped back on the computer
  6. Opened spreadsheet from SkyDrive folder
  7. The change I made was staring me in the face

I don't even know what to think anymore. Are you trolling? Do you actually own a Windows Phone?

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
  1. Created an Excel spreadsheet on computer
  2. Saved spreadsheet to SkyDrive folder
  3. Opened spreadsheet on phone through SkyDrive integration in Office hub
  4. Made change to spreadsheet on phone
  5. Clicked save and jumped back on the computer
  6. Opened spreadsheet from SkyDrive folder
  7. The change I made was staring me in the face

I don't even know what to think anymore. Are you trolling? Do you actually own a Windows Phone?
If your reading comprehension was higher than 1 you'd recall that I do in fact have a windows phone and that it is an HTC Arrive. Trolling? Oh yeah right - I've got nothing better to do than to INVENT issues with a device I bought that YOU think is imaginary!

You missed the entire point. You created a file on a pc and sent it directly to skydrive then opened it in skydrive then downloaded it to the phone. IF you'd read my post - I'd already recognized the device does that - it reads from skydrive and exchanges / stores and retrieves from skydrive just fine - as LONG as wifi and/or cell connections are available.

Where the problem crops up is, as I've stated before - what happens if you create a file native to the phone sans any wireless connections and THEN expect it to interchange and update with skydrive!

So go ahead try creating a file on your WP phone, saving to the phone, edit then share to skydrive. Edit the file on skydrive and then reopen that file from your device. You'll now see two files on the phone and they won't have the same info but they'll have the same name. Hello? do you see that this is NOT a sync? The files are NOT synchronized - they are now two different, but same named files. But both files look equally nice, sitting on a phone that is NOT integrating with itself using native MS office files nor with native MS Skydrive!

Your response is typical: I don't have or cannot re-create the same problem on MY device, so YOU must NOT be having any problems with YOUR device and therefore YOU are a Troll! How dare you say anything negative against this beautiful device? Maybe in your world several hundred dollars is easy to come by and if the device you spent that money on doesn't perform as advertised - maybe in your world that's just okey dokey fine and dandy you can just whip out several hundred dollars more and get something different, but in MY world that is not the case! I don't have several hundred dollars at my disposal (care to chip in?) so I'm stuck with the WP7 until my contract is up. Maybe by then MS will have released an update again that addresses these issues. And I'll finally get what I paid for. Until then I'll have to muddle through with a less than stellar device as well as go BACK to using my Palm T3 and the Sanyo feature phone and just use the WP7 as a digital camera and digital rolodex - oh joy!

You don't even likely use your phone as a business tool do you? To you its just a social connection and game player - right? it works fine for that, but its been touted as an integrated business tool also - or am I imagining THAT too?

Participation on forums is what it is - a share point for people using similar things but with various experiences. I've discovered many things about my device from reading the forum and a WHOLE lot more about people's perceptions and the way they present themselves. Some people help, others pour salt in wounds and each have their own cheering sections!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
If your reading comprehension was higher than 1 you'd recall that I do in fact have a windows phone and that it is an HTC Arrive. Trolling? Oh yeah right - I've got nothing better to do than to INVENT issues with a device I bought that YOU think is imaginary!

You missed the entire point. You created a file on a pc and sent it directly to skydrive then opened it in skydrive then downloaded it to the phone. IF you'd read my post - I'd already recognized the device does that - it reads from skydrive and exchanges / stores and retrieves from skydrive just fine - as LONG as wifi and/or cell connections are available.

Where the problem crops up is, as I've stated before - what happens if you create a file native to the phone sans any wireless connections and THEN expect it to interchange and update with skydrive!

So go ahead try creating a file on your WP phone, saving to the phone, edit then share to skydrive. Edit the file on skydrive and then reopen that file from your device. You'll now see two files on the phone and they won't have the same info but they'll have the same name. Hello? do you see that this is NOT a sync? The files are NOT synchronized - they are now two different, but same named files. But both files look equally nice, sitting on a phone that is NOT integrating with itself using native MS office files nor with native MS Skydrive!

Your response is typical: I don't have or cannot re-create the same problem on MY device, so YOU must NOT be having any problems with YOUR device and therefore YOU are a Troll! How dare you say anything negative against this beautiful device? Maybe in your world several hundred dollars is easy to come by and if the device you spent that money on doesn't perform as advertised - maybe in your world that's just okey dokey fine and dandy you can just whip out several hundred dollars more and get something different, but in MY world that is not the case! I don't have several hundred dollars at my disposal (care to chip in?) so I'm stuck with the WP7 until my contract is up. Maybe by then MS will have released an update again that addresses these issues. And I'll finally get what I paid for. Until then I'll have to muddle through with a less than stellar device as well as go BACK to using my Palm T3 and the Sanyo feature phone and just use the WP7 as a digital camera and digital rolodex - oh joy!

You don't even likely use your phone as a business tool do you? To you its just a social connection and game player - right? it works fine for that, but its been touted as an integrated business tool also - or am I imagining THAT too?

Participation on forums is what it is - a share point for people using similar things but with various experiences. I've discovered many things about my device from reading the forum and a WHOLE lot more about people's perceptions and the way they present themselves. Some people help, others pour salt in wounds and each have their own cheering sections!

you need to calm down and stop insulting people who don't agree with you. I've never had the problem you've mentioned.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm...at the moment I can't even get the document to appear in SkyDrive. The phone tells me it happened, but it's not there.

Edit: Okay, I finally got it to upload. I then edited the document on the PC and saved it on SkyDrive without creating a new version.

The issue, as near as I can tell, is this: If you create a document on the phone using Word, then edit it on the phone, the phone will create a second version. So I created "doctest", edited it and then had both "doctest" and "doctest(1)" on the "Documents" screen on the phone. They also appeared in SkyDrive on my PC. I deleted "doctest(1)" on the computer and edited "doctest" then saved it. On my phone, the two files "doctest" and "doctest(1)" were still there. In "Locations" however, when I went into SkyDrive only "doctest" was there. When I opened it, I was prompted to open the "later version", i.e., the edited version on SkyDrive. I did so. When I exited back out, "doctest(1)" was gone from the "Documents" screen.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You're terrible at getting your points across and your paragraphs are painful to read. From what I gleaned, this is what you did: create a local copy of the file, then upload it to SkyDrive. Why the hell would it delete or sync the local copy? The whole point of the local copy is so you can edit and save without a connection.

Think about doing the same thing on the PC. You've got a document in your Documents folder. You copy it across to the SkyDrive folder. Why would you want the copy in your Documents folder to start syncing?

One of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Something else the WP7 can't do that might actually HELP illustrate this discussion - is screenshots.

From what I gleaned, this is what you did: create a local copy of the file, then upload it to SkyDrive. Why the **** would it delete or sync the local copy? The whole point of the local copy is so you can edit and save without a connection.

When the local copy gets shared with skydrive, there are now TWO files displaying on the device both having the same name - which in the MS computer world has always meant the files were identical- and as a matter of fact in the MS Office world often returns an error message that you cannot open two files with the same name even if they are located on different drives. But in the case of WP the two files will NOT be identical if you have edited one or the other.

Why would I expect the two files to be identical? oh I don't know - because maybe they SHOULD be? That's the whole idea behind a sync isn't it? to keep information the same in different places? If I delete an email on the phone it deletes on my hotmail ( because I set it to do that) but there is no such setting in the office hub - I would think that it would be a "given" that alterations to files would maintain continuity between the device and skydrive.

With past WinMo devices active sync kept changes to the files synchronized. Why in the world would I only want to edit the file on the phone, but not the one on skydrive? I should be able to edit either one and have the changes show up in both once a refresh or connection to skydrive is made.

Why do I have to remember which is the most current location of the file and which one gets the editing? With over 400 office files this would be impossible - which is what I would expect the computer in the device to do.

If I haven't specifically TOLD the file to SAVE AS as (1), (2), (3) etc - WHY the heck is the device creating these NEW files?

Going to Locations Skydrive, long pressing the duplicated file only offers the choice to delete from the phone, not from skydrive. So o.k. I tell it to delete from the phone and the duplicate files no longer show up as tiles in documents, but there ARE still two tiles of "test sheet" displaying one for phone, one for skydrive!

Go to documents page on phone and the "test sheet' only is listed.
Go back to skydrive page of documents and ALL the duplicated files are still listed! Which apparently means I have to go to the PC to delete these duplicated files from skydrive!

This is way too much fol-de-rol for simple file management from a device that is supposed to be INTEGRATED with is own parent corporate OS.

DATA VIZ on my Palm products never created this many headaches.
Active sync was more enjoyable!

What appears to be happening is that the WP is creating a new file for each edited file saved.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Why would I expect the two files to be identical? oh I don't know - because maybe they SHOULD be? That's the whole idea behind a sync isn't it
Tip: don't rant on the simplest of points. I didn't even bother reading majority of it. I have clearly proved to you that Windows Phone does sync documents perfectly, when you're accessing the cloud copy and working from that.

At the beginning of your post, you clearly stated you shared to SkyDrive. You didn't sync the document, you shared it. Hence, the analogy I posted previously that you conveniently glossed over:

Think about doing the same thing on the PC. You've got a document in your Documents folder. You copy it across to the SkyDrive folder. Why would you want the copy in your Documents folder to start syncing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre