The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Hey there all,

Picked up a Lumia 900 last week. Loving the Windows Phone experience. I had tried out the original Titan when it first came out but wound up going with an android due to call quality issues with the Titan. Last week when the Lumia/Titan II came out I went and got a Lumia.

The Lumia is awesome and I'm so glad to have spent the last week in what I consider an elegant OS as opposed to updating, wiping, checking out new ROMS, trying the best kernel to get better battery life, all of the android c@$p.

Here is my issue. I haven't been able to get the Titan II out of my mind for the past week. Yes I know everyone thinks the Lumia is the best looking phone out there. I actually like to more industrial look of the Titan. I have looked at the screen on the Titan and thought it looked fine. Yes it has a better camera, but to be honest, the Camera on either of these phones is just fine for me.

The Lumia is working fine and is a great phone, like I said, I just can't get the Titan II out of my head.

I got the Lumia for Free with the pre Aug. 21st credit. Am I crazy to even be considering switching to the Titan?

I don't know what to do???????

..Gromet
    Last edited by nlocurto; 04-25-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    04-25-2012 01:02 PM
    If you don't mind paying the $200 bucks then switch. Better camera, faster processor, bigger screen, and a really nice design. I think that in two years the Nokia WP ecosystem will greatly outclass HTC's offerings, but two years is a ways off and there's no telling what might happen.
    04-25-2012 01:13 PM
    Free vs. what - $200? That's a pretty big chunk o' money to me, but maybe not to you.
    04-25-2012 01:14 PM
    The money is not the issue, it's whether the Titan will be a better phone or a better fit for me...

Things holding me back:

1) I have read a few things on the Titan II forum discussing data issues, sort of like the data issue the Lumia was seeing on Launch but was fixed by Nokia right away. Is this a wide spread device issue with the Titan II? are there Titan II owners on this board NOT having this issue? Will HTC fix the Issue if it is a device issue?

2) I can't find any other board with owners actually discussing the Titan II. It's like it got forgotten in the Lumia's wake. Understandably due to the price difference but I mean I really can't find any active Titan Boards. Scares me a little.

..Gromet
    04-25-2012 01:20 PM
    I was/am a bit like you in the sense of having the Titan II on my mind. I like HTC products, but some things to consider are the fact that the Lumia has a really good radio...really good. I get signals where some people can't. I can't speak on the Titan II battery life, but the Lumia as a 4G LTE phone has proven to me that not all LTE phone need to drain your battery that quickly. My lumia lasts most of the day. I actually got close to 24 hours one day, but i didn't use it as much as previous days. Still, I had other LTE phones on verizon that wouldn't last me half as long.

Cameras are not a big deal to you

Money isn't a big deal to you either

Size wise they are about equal.

I do believe the ecosystem on Nokia is great along with the added support that Nokia is dedicating. With HTC, I don't think they give as much attention to their phones as Nokia.
    I've had two HTC phones before and they were ok with support, but not great. Keep in mind with the HTC One series phones coming out, their attention could be on those phones. I see the HTC One series commercials, not Titan II commercials.

I don't think you can go wrong with either phone. Just weight your options. I'd keep your 200 bones and wait until later in the year to spend it...say uh....october-ish....Apollo....maybe.....you get what I'm saying. lol.
    04-25-2012 01:41 PM
    The money is not the issue, it's whether the Titan will be a better phone or a better fit for me...

Things holding me back:

1) I have read a few things on the Titan II forum discussing data issues, sort of like the data issue the Lumia was seeing on Launch but was fixed by Nokia right away. Is this a wide spread device issue with the Titan II? are there Titan II owners on this board NOT having this issue? Will HTC fix the Issue if it is a device issue?

2) I can't find any other board with owners actually discussing the Titan II. It's like it got forgotten in the Lumia's wake. Understandably due to the price difference but I mean I really can't find any active Titan Boards. Scares me a little.

..Gromet
    Yeah, the 900 is overshadowing the Titan II pretty bad. Unfortunately that is making it hard to get user feedback. Either TII owners aren't having problems or there isn't enough owners out there to get a clear idea of how widespread the data issue is.

However, it does seem like the TII is a rather significant upgrade over the original. Better camera, WiFi, and audio.
    04-25-2012 01:48 PM
    I was/am a bit like you in the sense of having the Titan II on my mind. I like HTC products, but some things to consider are the fact that the Lumia has a really good radio...really good. I get signals where some people can't. I can't speak on the Titan II battery life, but the Lumia as a 4G LTE phone has proven to me that not all LTE phone need to drain your battery that quickly. My lumia lasts most of the day. I actually got close to 24 hours one day, but i didn't use it as much as previous days. Still, I had other LTE phones on verizon that wouldn't last me half as long.

Cameras are not a big deal to you

Money isn't a big deal to you either

Size wise they are about equal.

I do believe the ecosystem on Nokia is great along with the added support that Nokia is dedicating. With HTC, I don't think they give as much attention to their phones as Nokia.
    I've had two HTC phones before and they were ok with support, but not great. Keep in mind with the HTC One series phones coming out, their attention could be on those phones. I see the HTC One series commercials, not Titan II commercials.

I don't think you can go wrong with either phone. Just weight your options. I'd keep your 200 bones and wait until later in the year to spend it...say uh....october-ish....Apollo....maybe.....you get what I'm saying. lol.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. I keep thinking about switching to the Titan II for the camera, but I don't want to leave the Nokia ecosystem...or my Cyan phone for that matter. I am taking cp2's suggestion and putting the $200 towards an Apollo fund. :-)
    04-25-2012 02:05 PM
    My Titan II is on its way and I will report with any issues I have.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    04-25-2012 02:18 PM
    My Titan II is on its way and I will report with any issues I have.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.
    Oh yes, please let us know if we are missing out on that much. You've had alot of input around here, so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Long live WP.
    04-25-2012 02:24 PM
    I would try it out in a store if I were you

Sent from my Le Lumia using Board Express
    04-25-2012 02:56 PM
    For what it's worth, just yesterday I received my Titan II ordered from AT&T. At least so far there have been no problems whatsoever, and I love the phone.
    04-25-2012 03:53 PM
    Simple, Titan II is a better phone. More powerful, better camera etc. But it's not the Lumia. I really was digging the Titan II in the store. Awesome phone. But as far as design it's just like every Android phone out there. Boring to me. That's why I went with the Lumia. Beautiful design. As far as user experience with WP7. They're both the same. I couldn't tell the difference in the software (other than each company has their own special apps) and the "touch" experience. It's more about aesthetic choices IMHO.
    -joe-
    04-26-2012 12:13 PM
    I wanted the T2 (see what I did there) for 2 reasons: screen size since my first attempt was the T1, and the camera. What pushed me over the edge was simple: $49.99 on Amazon and the $100 credit. Even more so was the rapid response by Nokia to a problem. I've never seen that before ( other than a company say you're holding it wrong ), and that led me to believe that support down the line was going to be there when needed.

That's all I needed to seal the deal.
    04-26-2012 12:32 PM
    Lumia has the X factor, Titan II does not.
    04-26-2012 03:32 PM
    Lumia has the X factor, Titan II does not.
    Can you describe this "X" factor?

Lets compare...

Titan II:
    Better Camera
    Faster Processor
    Better Benchmark scores
    Cooler looking design (Personal preference)

Lumia:
    ClearBlack Screen
    Better marketing from Nokia

Exactly what is this "X" factor that I'm missing?

..Gromet
    04-26-2012 03:36 PM

Lets compare...

Titan II:
    Better Camera
    Faster Processor
    Better Benchmark scores

Lumia:
    ClearBlack Screen

..Gromet
    Putting it that way, you have already made up your mind. Not sure what you're looking for other than maybe some validation on why you're leaning towards the T2.
    04-26-2012 05:36 PM

Lets compare...

Titan II:
    Better Camera
    Faster Processor
    Better Benchmark scores

Lumia:
    ClearBlack Screen

..Gromet
    The Lumia's distinctive case, which *most* people find more attractive even if you don't (particularly in blue), plus its gorgeous screen, plus the lower price, plus a huge advertising push by Nokia (as contrasted to HTC, which even on its own facebook page is ignoring the Titan II in favor of the HTC One), is the Nokia Lumia 900's X-factor.

There's nothing wrong with you liking the look of the Titan II, but for a lot of people, it's just another anonymously-styled and understated phone, whereas the Lumia 900 is bold, in-your-face, and fashionable.
    jbjtkbw007 likes this.
    04-26-2012 05:56 PM
    I would try it out in a store if I were you

Sent from my Le Lumia using Board Express
    I think this is good advice.

The Titan II has the advantage of a slightly bigger screen in a phone about the same size as the Lumia. The processor is *marginally* faster, probably not enough to notice but you'd get bragging rights. The camera is supposed to be better (it's got 2x the megapixels)

The Lumia has the advantage of a better screen (SuperAMOLED+) and better battery life as well as Nokia behind it, who is fully invested in the Windows Phone OS, so you can count on better support down the line IMO.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Both are the best WP7 phones on the market right now and both are awesome.
    04-26-2012 07:47 PM
    I'd go for the titan 2,better camera, better processor point is moot since they're basically the same processor but with a 100mhz difference, it also has a sound enhancer with SRS HD surround sound. That alone has sealed me on HTC products for the foreseeable future until other OEMS start offering similar sound apps.
    04-26-2012 09:20 PM
    From photos I've seen, the Titan II's is a LOT better. It's no the megapixels that matter. It's the quality of the color of the photos. The color of T2 photos is a LOT nicer, particularly in inside lighting and low lighting.
    04-26-2012 09:30 PM
    This is how I would break down the distinctions.

Titan II:
    - Marginally faster processor
    - Better camera
    - Unattractive: unreasonably thick
    - Cheap rubbery plastic
    - Bigger display

Lumia 900:
    - Nokia App Suite (Drive, etc.)
    - Attractive: thinner (but still thick) and in color
    - Durable Polycarbonate
    - Cheaper

Ultimately, they're two very similar phones; but, the Lumia is $200 cheaper and looks more like a premium phone. The Lumia also comes with some pretty nifty apps like Nokia Drive, which comes with offline navigation.

The Titan II has too many physical flaws going on. HTC should have worked harder keeping the original Titan's aluminum unibody while fixing reception issues. One of the original Titan's strongest points was its appearance.
    04-26-2012 10:00 PM
    Signal Strength on the Lumia due to the polycarbonate is hands down the best of any smartphone I've ever owned.
    04-26-2012 10:18 PM
    I got the Titan II release day and I love it! I got it over the Lumia bc my preference for a phone, a big screen and a good camera so that was an easy choice for me. Battery is great easily last a full day. Got it to last to 10% for 1 day and 2 hours (about 14 hrs was sleep time though) haven't had any data connection problems, but maybe bc I don't have LTE where I'm at? Just 4G. The only complaint I have is I can't hear anyone when using TANGO. Did some research and I think it is a HTC problem and neither HTC or TANGO wants to fix it. But now with SKYPE i guess it will do even though there are no toast notifications. Overall I LOVE this phone! it's a BEAST! #TEAMWINDOWSPHONE
    04-26-2012 11:09 PM
    Paul Thurott had an interesting review of the titan 2 today (don't have a link handy, sorry) where he did a photo/camera comparison between lumia 900 and titan 2 and then the titan and an iPhone 4s. The upshot was that while the titan 2 camera edged out the lumia's, it wasn't by the expected margin and the iPhone was better than the titan 2's.

In the store at least I thought the titan 2 was worlds better than the lumia's camera. But it's hard to pass on a free phone. I was able to sell my focus so that provided even "more than free" incentive. My plan's to put that extra aside along with what I saved by getting this for free and putting that towards Apollo later in the year. We'll have to see if this ends up working out. It's really hard to justify spending 200 on an ugly (personal opinion) phone that will be obsolete, or at least significantly eclipsed in about 6 months time..

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-26-2012 11:17 PM
    I keep reading about how the Lumia is free or $200 less than the Titan II. But isn't that rebate offer over already?
    04-27-2012 06:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD