Would You Want a WP W/ a BlackBerry-esque Design?

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure we all know BlackBerry, I myself came from a BB.

All BlackBerry devices have that familiar one-handed design that feels kinda good. Definitely better than a huge block.

Samsung came out with a BlackBerry-esque design for T-mo on Android (of course:dry).

The screen resolution is the same as WP, 5MP flash, 4G, 1.5 processor. Definitely mid-tier, if it weren't for the dual-core processor I may have guessed it was meant to be a WP.

So, would you want Samsung to breakout this phone design for WP?
Do you think it will ever happen?

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I loved the motorola q design for windows mobile
but it would not work for windows phone 7, since windows phone 7 is primarily designed for portrait mode, not landscape

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No. I had a BlackBerry 9700 before I got my Lumia 900. There is no way I'd want to go back to a QWERTY keypad and a tiny screen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Or a Treoesque option? ;)

I moved, reluctantly, from a physical keyboard because the Focus was such a compelling design. It would depend on screen, and especially, device dimensions; but, I'd definitely consider any physical keyboard option.

I also need expandability for thousands of Zune Pass downloads, and a replaceable battery. :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No. Modern smartphone apps gave made that the tiny square screen form factor obsolete except for low end feature phones. I loved the BlackBerry keyboard but I could never go back to a screen like that. Ugh....

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I for the life of me do not know how anyone can use a BB keyboard anymore. The keys are smaller than the virtual keys and you have to actually press them. It's so slow! I am so much faster on the touch screen than I ever was on my old Window Mobile phones with real keyboards.

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
the one on the Pearl Flip was great I think. It had large double-letter keys for people with larger fingers, like me.

I think there's even an option on the touch-enabled versions to change the onscreen keyboard into double-letter buttons.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Not for me... But if they can do cheap phones with keyboards, then yes, why not. A lot omf people are still buying these types of phones everywhere in the wrold, and this will only get more people into WP8!!!
However, a slideout full keyboard ? la n900/e7, yes please!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I truly miss a real keyboard. I want more Dell Venue Pro options, with the portrait slider. You can do a great 4" screen on a portrait slider, maybe even go a little wider with the demisions so that it is not top heavy and has a little more room for the keyboard. The DVP proved there is an audience for this.

I also have a really groundbreaking idea... Why not make the tile screen, the menu screen, the office hub, the XBOX live hub, the Marketplace screen, and all the other screens work in LANDSCAPE so WP can compete for the physical keyboard crowd????

Crazy, I know, but I am just throwing it out there......

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Its not that crazy. I've had this thought too. It wouldn't look bad since all the tiles are squares an most things that require typing can be done in landscape. Maybe some talented chefs out there can make a rom for it

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I dunno - I'd like my display to work in either landscape or portrait, and I'd bet OEMs would like that too (so they could design more phones with flip out/slide out keyboards). Especially the older amongst my family who have come from CrackBerries and older WiMo devices with keyboards, this is something they complain about a lot when getting new phones. You can't extol how a touch screen is actually faster in daily use than pressing a microscopic button on a microscopic keyboard to someone who won't consider that option because "my BlackBerry had a keyboard - I'm used to it, I *need* a keyboard". </sigh>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6