Why the need for higher res screens and quad core processors?

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ to beg to differ the beg to differ.

Most people cant tell the difference between the ipad 2 and 3

From my limited experience of the iPad I would say that was not true, you notice it when you open an app and the icons are iddy widdy things when before they were just right. Then you notice it but your point is taken in the manor it was meant.

anon(5339784)

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I see a need for both, and am looking forward to the WP8 devices.

For the processors, a dual-core Snapdragon S4 with a better graphics processor would be highly appreciated for the performance of JavaScript intensive websites (like the Facebook Desktop site and others where loading of overlays and other JS elements takes seconds on my 1st gen device) and Apps. Also, Apps will probably start faster, and waiting 2 seconds instead of 7 seconds makes a difference.

Higher resolution screens to maintain a >~250ppi density on screens above 3.7", so that a 4" or 4.3" screen still has a high pixel density.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Those people are missing the best platform out there then for a stupid reason.

Let's ignore all the specs except one (although I still believe the storage argument is important for a lot of people - Why, if flash memory for consumer's is so cheap - 32 GB Class 10 micro SD card for about $30-40 is it so hard to put more than 32 GB in a WP7 phone - at least give the option especially with Data caps) - Look at the HTC One X and tell me you wouldn't love to see WP7 on that hardware - especially the screen!!!!! Right now, you'll have one resolution and like it (until at least WP8 within the next 12 months).

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Does more flash require more battery life to maintain? I've often wondered this. And I can honestly tell you I don't care at all about the HTC One's hardware. I'm sure it's nice, that's just not as important to me as the software.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

"Now, I?m a huge fan of Apple and it?s design-minded products, but the reality is, this screen isn?t going to send you into an orgasmic rush."

This. Exactly. I bought my wife one for our anniversary and was less than blown away. The screen is sharp, don't get me wrong, but based on the advertising I was fully expecting to bust a nut in my pants when I saw it.

Also, it felt sluggish and boring next to my HD7.

Last edited:

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I own a galaxy nexus and an iPhone 4. I use both regularly for work (app development). For actual day to day usage...it's the lumia. The screen contrast, legibility outside, and bright colors make it more usable than my two HD screens.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I own a galaxy nexus and an iPhone 4. I use both regularly for work (app development). For actual day to day usage...it's the lumia. The screen contrast, legibility outside, and bright colors make it more usable than my two HD screens.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I seriously had no idea the 900 was going to be so readable in sunlight. I live in Arizona and had basically given up on being able to see any screen in the glaring sunlight here. That trumps all screen factors in my book.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Just waste of battery life.

That's a myth actually. Multi core processors don't necessarily use more battery.

Samsung's new 4 core Exynos chip uses 20% less energy than the chip it replaces.

Intel's multi core computer CPU's continue to get more and more energy efficient and faster at the same time. A multi core i3, i5 or i7 laptop processor is far more energy than the single core Pentium mobile chips from just a few years ago and they are faster.

The argument against multiple cores is phones is more a matter of price and whether or not the OS and apps are optimized for it. If the OS isn't doing serious multitasking, optimized to use multiple cores and there aren't any apps designed to use multi-core architecture, then there is no point.

The current WP7 kernel doesn't do this and none of the apps do and WP7 multi-tasking is pretty tame anyway, so even if they could use dual core processors now, you'd see no real performance gains.

All in good time though. :)

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Why the need? To keep up with the Jones'. I think its also called progress. Plus the less knowledgeable consumer just goes for looks, specs, or what seems cool. So in order to sell MS has to appeal to them. Even though my phone "smoked" my wife's evo and now her iphone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I seriously had no idea the 900 was going to be so readable in sunlight. I live in Arizona and had basically given up on being able to see any screen in the glaring sunlight here. That trumps all screen factors in my book.

It is truly amazing. Arguably the best screen (resolution limitations aside) on any smartphone right now.

The combination of SuperAMOLED+ color fidelity and saturation with Nokia's clear black polarization is a home run. The depth of the blacks and vibrant color and contrast are the first things people notice when I show them my phone. I usually have it set on medium brightness, but even at low brightness, it's more visible outdoors in sunlight than most other phones are at medium or high.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I understand hi-red screens. But a quad core come on. I have a dual core in my DESKTOP. When phone CPUs surpass a standard desktop's CPU. Then it's not a phone just a minicomputer.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
That's a common misconception consumers possess. Quad Core ARM Cortex A9 chips are NOT as fast as Quad Core, or even the bulk of Dual Core, x86 chips. They're not even half as fast as most of them.

The difference in RISC and CISC architecture matters. Even the difference between ARM Cortex A8, A9 and A15 (or i3, i5, and i7) really matters. For example, a dual core A15 is on par with Samsungs new quad core Exynos.

The bottom line is that consumers really have no idea how to read specs and our phones aren't half as fast as you might think they are.

(And if you think the situation is confusing now, just wait till when the new Intel chips hit smartphones.)

Last edited:

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
That's a common misconception consumers possess. Quad Core ARM Cortex A9 chips are NOT as fast as Quad Core, or even the bulk of Dual Core, x86 chips. They're not even half as fast as most of them.

The difference in RISC and CISC architecture matters. Even the difference between ARM Cortex A8, A9 and A15 (or i3, i5, and i7) really matters. For example, a dual core A15 is on par with Samsungs new quad core Exynos.

The bottom line is that consumers really have no idea how to read specs and our phones aren't half as fast as you might think they are.

(And if you think the situation is confusing now, just wait till when the new Intel chips hit smartphones.)

This. Just think of how crappy Motorola's desktop mode was (is? haven't used it since the Atrix) because there's just not the processing power there. Even if it says that there's the same number of clock cycles and cores as a PC chip doesn't mean it has anything close to the same processing power.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It's threads like this which destroy the credibility of fan communities.

I am living in constant regret because I didn't order an Envy 14 that was on sale. It had a 1600x900 Radiance screen and a Radeon 5650. Now, I'm stuck with a 1366x768 screen with terrible viewing angles and brightness, coupled with a GeForce 310M which barely stands up to the integrated Intel HD 3000.

It doesn't matter whether it's a laptop or a phone, a better screen makes a huge difference. Better internals provide a smoother performance and allow the platform to progress in terms of intensive apps and games.

I dare any of you to claim that you've never experience a slowdown on your device. That you've never had an app lag when you swiped or scrolled while it was still pulling in data. That you've never had a jarring freeze at the end of a match in PES 2012 or Fusion: Sentient.

Go ahead, I dare you.

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It's threads like this which destroy the credibility of fan communities.

I am living in constant regret because I didn't order an Envy 14 that was on sale. It had a 1600x900 Radiance screen and a Radeon 5650. Now, I'm stuck with a 1366x768 screen with terrible viewing angles and brightness, coupled with a GeForce 310M which barely stands up to the integrated Intel HD 3000.

It doesn't matter whether it's a laptop or a phone, a better screen makes a huge difference. Better internals provide a smoother performance and allow the platform to progress in terms of intensive apps and games.

I dare any of you to claim that you've never experience a slowdown on your device. That you've never had an app lag when you swiped or scrolled while it was still pulling in data. That you've never had a jarring freeze at the end of a match in PES 2012 or Fusion: Sentient.

Go ahead, I dare you.

You realize that's dumb because every platform has done that. Every one despite the hardware. And huge difference? No.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You realize that's dumb because every platform has done that. Every one despite the hardware. And huge difference? No.
And so you think if Microsoft properly optimises for an additional three cores, the OS would still be incapable of rendering a reasonable amount of frames while loading data? You think it won't be a big deal to have immediate recognition of input I provide through touch at any time?

And I thought Windows Phone fans shared my passion for a smooth, elegant experience. I guess every logical argument goes down the drain once someone finds themselves on the defensive.

Also, you failed to meet my dare. Hence, you acknowledge that the underpowered hardware is holding back Microsoft from achieving a buttery-smooth experience throughout.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
And I thought Windows Phone fans shared my passion for a smooth, elegant experience. I guess every logical argument goes down the drain once someone finds themselves on the defensive.

This is why I'm a user not fan, users want things fixing, fans want to make excuse for stuff. As it currently stands, WP7 best meets my needs but it's missing stuff (as are other platforms in other ways) and honest feedback is better than some of the uncritical nonsense that fans push out.

Having said that it's a problem across platforms, WebOS and Blackberry fans are just the same in burying their head in the sand when it comes to the failing of their platforms. I'm a user and I constantly want every platform to fight for my business not for me to spend my time blowing smoke up their ***.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)