Why the need for higher res screens and quad core processors?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Whether or not cgk1 shares your view point is irrelevant because cgk1 and me were having a different discussion than the one you tried to force me into.
That was the subsequent train of thought, I was targeting a specific quote from you in the first reply you made to him. I was not forcing you into any argument - no one is required to respond to my posts - and quite frankly, your quote was just a nice opener.

We were on the topic of how fans are obligated to stick to their guns and defend their platform, and that's good. I've defending Windows Phone plenty of times. But when you start bending the truth and crossing the line in order to justify your stance is when it gets messy. To twist the argument that cgk1 and I were in mutual agreement with into "everyone should care about what I think" was wrong and I originally called you out for it, but decided to edit my post in case I offended you.

My whole argument is that Windows Phone is not as buttery-smooth as optimists have made it out to be, and there are rough edges. Specs do matter and aside from public perception, will help to solve these issues. You then state that the argument is simply one opinion (and go so far as to portray it as an outlier and something to be dismissed), yet I can't find a reasonable counter-argument to the assertion.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
To twist the argument that cgk1 and I were in mutual agreement with into "everyone should care about what I think" was wrong and I originally called you out for it, but decided to edit my post in case I offended you.

Sorry, but I wasn't trying to lump you and cgk1 together.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I wasn't trying to lump you and cgk1 together.
Perhaps I greyed the line too much, you can disregard majority of that then (and have my apologies). The core argument was the same, and I'd like to see the justification of sidelining the importance of specs to the opinions of a select few.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps I greyed the line too much, you can disregard majority of that then (and have my apologies). The core argument was the same, and I'd like to see the justification of sidelining the importance of specs to the opinions of a select few.

And just for the record, I do want to see higher specs come to WP because I want to take advantage of the extra horse power. I'm just keeping quiet about it because high end handsets are rumored to come in the fall and there's not much I can do about it between now and then.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
And just for the record, I do want to see higher specs come to WP because I want to take advantage of the extra horse power. I'm just keeping quiet about it because high end handsets are rumored to come in the fall and there's not much I can do about it between now and then.
Fair enough, pardon me for the misunderstanding.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Quad Core? Don't care cause WP doesn't need it. High resolution, I want! I miss my iPhone 4's smoothness.
Intel Medfield has proven that cores aren't everything - with one, it's holding its own against the top quad-core chips out there. However, it is important to remember that you will require better hardware to maintain the same level of performance at a higher display resolution, so they kind of go hand-in-hand.

madhouse1616

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Intel Medfield has proven that cores aren't everything - with one, it's holding its own against the top quad-core chips out there. However, it is important to remember that you will require better hardware to maintain the same level of performance at a higher display resolution, so they kind of go hand-in-hand.

very true but this certainly bodes well for the future...no cores aren't everything but upping the hardware specs

1. keeps people employed (my personal favorite)

2. allows developers to write more powerful program to take advantage

3. allows MS to add addition features to do the same..making phones more unified to the desktop/laptop experience..I think the future is one platform many devices and you will certainly need this "in the future" but I certainly understand...its' not needed now

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Whoever said marketing hype = good call.

I, like most users, need a phone that can run a few productive applications (games and video are NOT productive applications). Not a pocket mainframe. Same goes with tablets. I still do not get the latest tablet craze. I have yet to meet anyone carrying an IPad, etc that actually does anything useful with their devices.

Now, about 10 years ago (maybe less) there were Windows XP tablets that you could really do stuff with.
Although I have an Android 9.7" tablet for daily musings, I still use one of those XP tablets you mentioned every day. An HP TC1100 that does what NO current iOS, Android or webOS tablet can do: run an optical drive. Why you ask? In the construction industry most sets of plans are on CDs. Old timers like myself have not quite embraced the cloud. Besides, weak or no signal can render cloud service useless, and forget about wi-fi. The main drawback to these tablets is that most of them rely on Wacom-based stylii rather than finger input, but that's a minor inconvenience since I can just flip the keyboard out and I have a real small laptop at my disposal.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Im keeping this horridly useless phone specifically for its wonderful screen. Bad KB, bad camera, bad battery, bad UI, bad email client, bad speaker placement, but... the screen.... 1280*720 IPS pixels in RGB layout. There is just no compensating for that. No size, nor UI improvmemts will ever fully overcome pure, raw hardware. Just look at the iPhone. Generally okayish OS... but the HW always has a party piece somewhere, (i.e, 4S has the A5 chip!!).

For the ~5 short hours of screen useage I can eek out of it per day, it's just wonderful.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Edit: 5 hours is a bit optimistic, 2 hours and a song is more likely :(

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro