Windows 8 tablets will dominate.

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I fail to see how Windows RT tablets will "blow iPad away" given the fact there are already 300K iPad apps, the "Resolutionary" screen. What will OEMs bring to the table regarding hardware? How many Metro apps will there be on launch day? How can they possibly compete with Apple on price and not lose money? Remember Apple has HUGE margins on iPads because they buy components(CPU, memory, flash storage and screens) in gigantic bulk quantities. This is something the other OEMs can't do except possibly Samsung.

This. Windows 8 is only viable for x86 tablets

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Having a single interface for tablets, phones and desktops is what's attracting me to w8/wp7.

- Sent from my Touchpad 4G using Communities

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The single most important feature I can't wait for is the split screen ability. I want so badly to multitask on my Android tablet as in surf the web while watching/listening to a youtube video.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
W8 tablet will be huge in the mobile enterprise demographic. From there and on all new consumer PCs and to a lesser extent initially on W8 tablets in the consumer space people will become educated and I believe fairly quickly people will learn the term slate/tablet and iPad will become a segment of that larger solution. The Market has been long overdue and is another reason W8 is poised to be a huge hit in the consumer space. I believe we are watching another historical evolution in the industry, started by Apple and MS soon cashing in to reap rewards and take over the market!

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I fail to see how Windows RT tablets will "blow iPad away" given the fact there are already 300K iPad apps, the "Resolutionary" screen. What will OEMs bring to the table regarding hardware? How many Metro apps will there be on launch day? How can they possibly compete with Apple on price and not lose money? Remember Apple has HUGE margins on iPads because they buy components(CPU, memory, flash storage and screens) in gigantic bulk quantities. This is something the other OEMs can't do except possibly Samsung.

I initially thought all Win8 tablets will be backwards compatible with Win7 programs, but was mistaken on that. The models without the backwards compatibility definetely won't hold a candle to the iPad's "infrastrutrue" of 300K apps, for sure. That's kind of like comparing the current Win phone to the current iPhone. The Win phone is nice for sure, but sometimes the lack of infrastructure can be annoying (at the present point in time).

However, with the Win8 tablets that have a fully functional Win7 built in, in my opinion, will definetely blow away the iPad. Maybe not everyone's opinion, but I definetely stand by that.

The lack of Windows 8 "apps" and a "revolutionary screen" will be negated by the fact that you have a full Windows 7 built in, more or less as an "app".

Want to do actual work on an iPad? Huge pain. Even with a plug in keyboard and mouse.

Want to do work on a intel-based Win8 tablet? Plug your keyboard and mouse in and you're on Windows 7. Full versions of office, all enterprise programs, etc. can run on this. I wonder how clunky and/or how much time that would take to do on an iPad. On a Windows 8 tab you just click on the "Win7 app" and you're there.

So yeah, basically I believe the intel based Windows 8 tablets will have no limitations as far as what you can do on it. And I believe the iPad (and all Mac products) just doesn't bring that to the table, because of Apple's closed ecosystem.

You don't have to agree with me, and neither does the rest of the market. Clearly Apple is the most popular technology company in the world, and for good reason, they give people who are ignorant about technology something that won't break as easily when they download a virus. I really don't have that problem, and I know there are millions out there like me.

They will sell. As I said before, I'll be replacing my laptop with one, and I don't think it'll be a hard sell to other people when I show them what I can do on it (everything).

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I just hope they don't price themselves out of the users hands. Tablet prices are coming down. Win8 is a revolutionary venture for MS, but on a platform that's already been bested by the competition.

I too am holding out to see what they are bringing to the table. AM still on WinXP with both the laptop (convertible Tablet PC) and the netbook and the desktop, all are still functional, but not as portable as I'd like and are beginning to act their age.

But using WP7 looks like a good step towards learning win8 and I am really praying for device compatibility!

Have already discovered a business program I can utilize that is designed for use on the upcoming tablet so am stoked that I may be getting in on the ground floor this time! But if they price it out of reach - well, maybe we won't think about that just yet.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree Win8 tablets will be the game changers. I use the Win8 Cusumer Preview at home. I can see where this will take off in business and consumers. Just some good marketing and exposure. I hope we can Nokia Transit on the Nokia tablets. Or a 7-10inch x86 tablet/phone with built in bluetooth headset and pureview camera! No more phone...no more laptop! Woot!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I could care less what the general public wants.. I just care about work and we're already seeing intereset in the iPad start to fall. At least in our business (financial services) you have to spend to much money to secure these things enough to meet all the government laws. And once you've spent all that money.. you have something that costs the same as a laptop with have the functionality.

Business folks like the iPad because they can turn the thing on right away and the battery lasts forever and it's so light compared to their slow clunky XP laptops (which we and a crap ton of other companies are still using.) An iPad blows XP away...

However, throw them a W7 (and soon a W8) ultrabook at them and they can't wait to get their hands on one. It makes the iPad look like the toy that it is.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Here is my dream, and stay with me, because this post might be a little long but I think it's a good dream. :)

Because we are a financial services company, we have a lot of regulations around encryption and Data Loss Prevention. Because of the nature of our business, we over dozens of products and we have hundreds of appliations that we use.

The iPad, as it sits by itself, is not an option, though that doesn't stop execs from trying. The only way we can make it work (and I'm sure we are no the only company in this position) is to use VM View to connect to an actual virtual Windows 7 machine which holds all of their apps.

That works pretty well, but it requires you being connected at all times to access your apps. Without a connection you pretty much have a toy..

Now with a potential W8 ARM tablet I could have my email on via activesync (just like I would with my iPad) but the added bonus is that I have MS Office on there that can be connected to my corporate sharepoint so I can still get 100% access to all my documents and not have to worry about some lame 3rd party office app messing with them. Also throw in a keyboard just like the ASUS Transformer... perfect.

Then as an added bonus I just pop that thing in a dockingstation at work and it connects to my large monitors and connects to my virtual workstation if I need to do some "heavy lifting" like Visio or some Visual Studio.

Now my "dream" is to put that all in a little 4+" phone and that's all I would ever need. :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think Win RT tablets will be necessary to compete with the iPad and other tablets.

x86 based Windows 8 tablets are going to be $900-$1200+++ and have capabilities that go way beyond an iPad or Android tablet, basically putting them in a price range and class that most people don't need.

Win RT tablets on the other hand would be much more price competitive. But of course they'll be useless without a good ecosystem and all the attendant apps that people will want.

Personally I don't find tablets all that useful. I have a Macbook Air with a core i7 and 256 GB SSD that boots in about 8 seconds so I'm all set.

If someone makes a nice Win RT tablet for $3-350 at some point and there's a good selection of apps there, I'd take a look at it. Especially if it has a bit more multitasking capability and isn't quite as Romper Room as the iPad.

I don't need full on Windows 8 and an x86 though. I'd be just fine with Metro only. I never liked the Windows desktop with the Start menu etc. anyway.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
x86 based Windows 8 tablets are going to be $900-$1200+++ and have capabilities that go way beyond an iPad or Android tablet, basically putting them in a price range and class that most people don't need.

Consider this:
About 350 million PCs sold in 2011. 40 million "companion" iPads sold in 2011.

The point is, despite huge iPad sales, PC sales continue to far exceed. I expect your estimated price to be on the high end of what an enterprise class Windows 8 slate will run. Consumer models will be lower.

Most people don't "need" a tablet. But as we see, people still buy them. Many need a PC to work (create content) efficiently. Now, when you can buy a single device rather than needing two, one device that can provide dual functionality, the cost dynamic shifts and its actually a very appealing price point.

I use an iPad every day. Read the paper in the morning and casual browsing in the evening. I need a full PC to work during the day. I often fire up a personal home PC if I need to do any significant research or online purchasing of any major items. Even email, if its more than a very short reply, its just easier to use a keyboard. Voice to text could change things dramatically here, but for now... I can't wait to shell out for a single device that can do everything I need so my iPad doesn't leave me wanting my PC, and visa-versa.

I've also re-purposed an old desktop computer with a touchscreen display that is running Windows 8 consumer preview as a media center for my basement bar/gameroom. Being able to access network resources effectively, and having the touch interface... its going to be a HUGE hit once media apps (think Netflix, Youtube, Pandora, etc) start showing up. It will make a great addition to the bar for playing games as well. The addition of touch is huge for this application, and others to come. Easy and cheap to instantly have a fantastic media center with a fabulous UI. The possibilities are endless....

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Why can't they just run Atom processors in them so they keep their ability to run programs designed for the x86 architecture?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Slow Windows 8 downloads indicate low interest - SlashGear

It actually appears nobody gives a crap about Windows 8 in general.. which is unfortunate, it's fun.

According to the analytics firm Net Applications, just about .11% of Internet users connected from a Windows 8 device last week, showing flat growth numbers from March. When compared with the same numbers during Windows 7′s Beta period in 2009, they’re at about the 40% mark.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

It actually appears nobody gives a crap about Windows 8 in general.. which is unfortunate, it's fun.

According to the analytics firm Net Applications, just about .11% of Internet users connected from a Windows 8 device last week, showing flat growth numbers from March. When compared with the same numbers during Windows 7′s Beta period in 2009, they?re at about the 40% mark.

I don't think that's a fair assessment of the actual interest in the new platform. For myself, although I'm fairly capable around a PC, I don't feel comfortable testing the Win8 preview on machines I know already work fine. I'm content to wait until a device built specifically to run the platform is offered. I don't want to lose the programs and files I use NOW just to see what Win 8 will be in the future. Just because I haven't downloaded the preview doesn't mean I'm not interested. I didn't download the Vista forerunners either. And haven't bothered with Windows 7 knowing that Win8 has been on the horizon for some time. As a Windows Phone user, Win 8 looks like my ideal program and a tablet is just what I need!

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that's a fair assessment of the actual interest in the new platform. For myself, although I'm fairly capable around a PC, I don't feel comfortable testing the Win8 preview on machines I know already work fine. I'm content to wait until a device built specifically to run the platform is offered. I don't want to lose the programs and files I use NOW just to see what Win 8 will be in the future. Just because I haven't downloaded the preview doesn't mean I'm not interested. I didn't download the Vista forerunners either. And haven't bothered with Windows 7 knowing that Win8 has been on the horizon for some time. As a Windows Phone user, Win 8 looks like my ideal program and a tablet is just what I need!

Yeah, you missed the point of the article. The point is that, relative to Windows 7, very little interest in W8 is being evinced. Nowhere is it claimed that you aren't interested, but that the population of people, for whom things like this are interesting, are not showing interest relative to their interest in previous iterations of Microsoft software.

As for actual interest, I'd bet the "no one gives a crap, which is unfortunate" line still stands. People cared about W7 because Vista had a bad rap, deserved or not. And as an OS X user, I'd say W7 is pretty darn good, which makes W8 seem.. well, I'm not sure actually why anyone on a PC needs W8. Tablet, sure. PC? Not so much.
Microsoft is making the right moves (the Nook buy could be genius) but they may be a victim of their own success here with W7. Like XP, people may not see much of a need to upgrade.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

According to the analytics firm Net Applications, just about .11% of Internet users connected from a Windows 8 device last week, showing flat growth numbers from March. When compared with the same numbers during Windows 7′s Beta period in 2009, they?re at about the 40% mark.

There's another preview due in two months, many are waiting for that one since they know it's coming. Why reinstall again so quick?

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
iPad

I don't think so. People increasingly want an iPad and nothing else.

That is true of todays market but it is fair to say that the iPad has not been realistically challenged. The Windows 8 Tablet in both its forms has the potential to really eat into this market.

Being first is important and I would imagine Apple will benefit from this early market dominance and getting the form correct first but people are fickle.

If Windows 8 can provide a true all round performance without compromise then I can see it do well and certainly overtake the Apple Tablets in the future.

Actually Windows 8 has the potential to be a turning point for both Apple and Microsoft. The market should want Microsoft to succeed if only because it spreads its money around better so more market segments benefit. Apple may have to decide that it needs to change its model. This is only to be expected, after all Microsoft have upset the Apple cart already with what was perceived to be a unasailable target in the form of the Playstation brand. Go and look back at the predictions for the 360 and the PS3 andyou will find nobody gave the 360 much hope let alone to be increasing sales in the early years even with an overpriced PS3.

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you missed the point of the article. The point is that, relative to Windows 7, very little interest in W8 is being evinced. Nowhere is it claimed that you aren't interested, but that the population of people, for whom things like this are interesting, are not showing interest relative to their interest in previous iterations of Microsoft software.

As for actual interest, I'd bet the "no one gives a crap, which is unfortunate" line still stands. People cared about W7 because Vista had a bad rap, deserved or not. And as an OS X user, I'd say W7 is pretty darn good, which makes W8 seem.. well, I'm not sure actually why anyone on a PC needs W8. Tablet, sure. PC? Not so much.
Microsoft is making the right moves (the Nook buy could be genius) but they may be a victim of their own success here with W7. Like XP, people may not see much of a need to upgrade.

I think the Windows 7 interest was so high, because it was generally known to be good enough to be the first OS to replace Windows XP in however many (10?) years. After the Vista fiasco people were eager to upgrade.

Windows 7 is still pretty new, and people are still upgrading to 7 from XP. Microsoft doesn't need Win8 to sell in the bulk numbers that 7 does.

What people know about Windows 8 is that it works really well with a touch screen. Not so much with just a keyboard and mouse. Going forward, I think we'll be seeing more manufacturers put touch screens on more of their laptops, and make more interesting designs (like the Lenovo Yoga thing) that take advantage of touchscreen technology.

I haven't installed Win8 on any of my machines. I don't have a touchscreen laptop or monitor. If I did, there's no question I would have Win8. But I don't. So I'm sticking with 7 until some excellent Win8 devices come out in a year or so.

Win8 will not have the immediate mass appeal that Win7 did. However, when people go to upgrade their laptop next time, they will consider a touch screen Win8 laptop, or tablet on intel architecture. Right now, the manufacturers are developing these products, they're not even available yet.

Microsoft is making a clear statement that touch screen is the future. But they're not stupid enough to realize that a keyboard and mouse is always necessary in some cases. So they combined the best of both worlds with Win8 instead. A great touch screen interface, and a stable, rock solid OS with Windows 7 built in, that functions traditionally with a keyboard and mouse.

The actual hardware is not fully here yet, but when manufacturers start getting caught up, I think we'll see a more true indication of how this will impact the market and affect iPad sales.

It's definetely a risk, but it is innovation, which to me, is better than just re-inventing Windows 7 again.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually W8 works well with keyboard and mouse too...it's just different than the historical experience. I would say that W8 for desktops and laptops will grow after the tablets take off. I think people will like the universal experience. I have W8 set up as dual boot on my PC. But I do use W7 mostly, but that's just because I have most of the programs through W7. When W8 is officially released I will definitely upgrade my W7 on my PC. Why not? it does everything W7 does and more...plus faster, leaner, more secure. Seems like a no brainer :D

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
For now its called an ultra book or MacBook air.

Trying to merge a tablet and desktop in one unit has all kinds of fail written on it.
It will be too heavy for a tablet, have poor performance for a desktop, or crappy battery life.
Oh and let's not talk about price.

Having said that apple is the only company that can do it, because they own both the hardware and software.

Just because you can do a thing does not mean you should do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12