05-03-2012 02:59 PM
83 ... 234
tools
    To be fair, no phone on AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile is supposed to have tethering without an additional fee. It's in the T&C. Just feel lucky you are still getting away with it.

And the tethering fee isn't $50. It's $10 on my plan.
    My old HD7 had free tethering. It was part of my data plan. $30 unlimited. I did it all the time. I called t-mobile before I added it. I had the 4g Unlimited up to 5gigs.

At&t charges for tethering.
    lippidp likes this.
    05-02-2012 02:19 PM
    The Focus Flash does indeed have tethering. I tether with mine all the time.

It wouldn't however meet your storage requirements at only 8gb
    Is the tethering through AT&T or some other means?
    05-02-2012 03:40 PM
    Just to be clear, at least some of the T-Mo plans include free tethering. I have the $30 with 5GB HSPA+ data, unlimited messaging, and 100 minutes and tethering is included. The store reps didn't know that, but customer service will know better so I advise anyone calls ahead if they're considering these plans.

My only gripe was that the Radar currently has a bug where if you at ANY point after a factory reset enable tethering, WiFi will cease to function properly unless you're also on Airplane mode. That is, WiFi does not work while the mobile data network is enabled; nor does the mobile data network for that matter if WiFi is enabled. Just beware of this if you're considering the Radar before an update with a fix is pushed.
    lippidp likes this.
    05-02-2012 03:55 PM
    You are not alone really. I'm on T-MO we have two WP devices the Lumia 710 and the HTC Radar both are mid entry devices. The Problem with WP is that there are currently two devices that are very good both happen to be on the AT&T network. WP needs to really be on other networks and not just with low end devices but high end one's as well.
    05-02-2012 05:59 PM
    I don't use much data when I tether. Usually just email and RDP. I'll look into the Focus, but I'd probably have to get it on eBay or something, right? I'm pretty sure it's no longer offered through normal channels.
    Yeah, ebay is a good bet. I bought my two Windows Phones off there, from individuals (not bulk sellers like gazelle_store), in BIN listings with good pictures. Both were steals, both were mint :)

I'm contemplating selling my Focus fairly soon. I can (and probably will) list it here on WPC first.
    My only gripe was that the Radar currently has a bug where if you at ANY point after a factory reset enable tethering, WiFi will cease to function properly unless you're also on Airplane mode. That is, WiFi does not work while the mobile data network is enabled; nor does the mobile data network for that matter if WiFi is enabled. Just beware of this if you're considering the Radar before an update with a fix is pushed.
    Ahh, yes...I forgot about that issue. It will happen when internet connection sharing is enabled on the Focus before the fix is installed. Once it's fixed, there's nothing to worry about.
    05-02-2012 06:24 PM
    Is the tethering through AT&T or some other means?
    Through AT&T
    05-02-2012 06:33 PM
    I went in to a RadioShack and lo and behold what did I see? The Samsung Focus. I'd never seen it before in person and I thought it was very nice. However, they told me it was a clearance item and they were all out. I might try another couple of RadioShacks just to see. I bet she'd like it.

Our plan as of now is to give the Pantech's music app a shot and see if it's easy enough for her to use. If so, I'll get a 16GB microSD card ($10), the headphones for the Pantech ($5), and a Bluetooth FM transmitter ($30) to play the music in her car. She can use AT&T Navigator also included on the Pantech. This meets all four of the original requirements. We can reevaluate things when WP8 devices release later in the year.

Thanks to all that pitched in to help!
    05-03-2012 02:05 PM
    I agree with the other users, the Lumia 800 seems to be a perfect fit.

Just what are those "free bluetooth tethering" capabilities she's looking for?

@Bee Mon: don't troll, help. That's the way to have a great WP community.
    Free BT is something that old features phones used. I was once at work and noticed my computer was running slow, upon checking my network connections, i realized my laptop had magically connected to my phone when the company's wireless system went down. Kind of a cool feature. That was...WM6.1 i think.
    05-03-2012 02:59 PM
83 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD