WP fails the girlfriend needs test

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's USB tethering on the Quantum. She doesn't care how it tethers just as long as it does since she doesn't have any other internet connection at her house to use her laptop with. Of course getting a DSL or something else is an option we're looking at also.
You do realize that USB tethering on the Q is a lot slower than Wi-Fi tethering because you're using the phone as modem and as such, you're only getting GPRS speed. There is a way to get Wi-Fi tethering on that device. It involves flashing the Australian Telstra ROM and then updating to 8107 through Zune. I've done it on two Q's already and it is worth the price of admission.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The Pantech can be used as a modem for her laptop. It is done wirelessly via Bluetooth. All that is needed is a data plan, not the expensive tethering/wireless hotpot thing for 50 bucks a month.

To be fair, no phone on AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile is supposed to have tethering without an additional fee. It's in the T&C. Just feel lucky you are still getting away with it.

And the tethering fee isn't $50. It's $10 on my plan.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
How much data do you use?

They know what they are doing, however :( :) Some people have had the plan added months after tethering just once.

Is she set on having a contract with ATT? How much data and talk does she need? There's always prepaid...and they can't really add a tethering plan to your plan ;)

I have internet sharing enabled on my Samsung Focus and it was really simple to WindowBreak it and get that up and running. No custom ROM needed, plus I have the 8107 update. And after my experience with Windows Mobile, I am averse to modifying phones :p
I don't use much data when I tether. Usually just email and RDP. I'll look into the Focus, but I'd probably have to get it on eBay or something, right? I'm pretty sure it's no longer offered through normal channels.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that USB tethering on the Q is a lot slower than Wi-Fi tethering because you're using the phone as modem and as such, you're only getting GPRS speed. There is a way to get Wi-Fi tethering on that device. It involves flashing the Australian Telstra ROM and then updating to 8107 through Zune. I've done it on two Q's already and it is worth the price of admission.
Thanks. The way I have it setup now is fast enough for my needs, but I certainly will check out your recommendation!

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, no phone on AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile is supposed to have tethering without an additional fee. It's in the T&C. Just feel lucky you are still getting away with it.

Yes, I'm aware of the T&C. I just don't adhere to it because it seems unreasonable to me. Is the $10 tethering plan something you add afterwards? If I look at available tethering plans On ATT I don't see it. I only see the $50 5GB data/tethering plan.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I went to an AT&T store today with my girlfriend. Her 12-year-old iPod just died and she's eligible for a phone upgrade so we thought maybe now's the time to get her a smartphone. She's coming from a Pantech feature phone with a landscape keyboard and free tethering capabilities via Bluetooth. She has what I consider to be basic requirements:

1. Good turn-by-turn navigation
2. 10GB+ to hold her music
3. Tethering
4. Landscape keyboard

Of course, item #4 was a deal-breaker already since no WP at AT&T currently have a keyboard. However, she thought she'd give the soft keyboard a try and return it after 30 days if she couldn't stand it. So, we threw out #4. Even with only the first three items on the list the only choice was the Lumia 900 with Nokia Drive. She loved it except it was too big for her tiny girlie hands. The only other WP that was physically smaller than the Lumia 900 was the Focus Flash, which only had 8GB storage and no tethering. So, WP on AT&T was a fail.

I then started thinking about other carriers and found the only other devices that have tethering are the Lumia 710 and Radar, neither of which meet the storage requirement of 10GB+. Fail again.

She is leaning towards staying with her freaking Pantech feature phone, enabling AT&T Navigator on it, and just getting a new iPod Nano. WP loses to Pantech + iPod Nano. How embarrassing for Microsoft and their partners. What's worse is that my WM Tilt2 from 2009 had all of the above features once adding a microSD card and downloading the free Bing program. I didn't even pay extra for tethering. Now AT&T charges $50 for a tethering/data plan. LG Quantum fits the bill also, but it went EOL a few months ago. Expandable storage would also have saved the day. Why that's not widely available in WP just boggles my mind.

Can anyone else recommend a solution? Android and Blackberry are not options for various reasons. iPhone 4 16GB maybe, but she will need to get a nav app, pay the exorbitant tethering fee, and still won't have a keyboard. If I can find my Tilt2 maybe I'll just give her that. Pfftt...

I read the OP and a few down and just skipped to post.

Just get her an iPhone. Not every device is for everyone. Clearly WP7 is not for her. From what you describe she needs an iPhone.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

Just get her an iPhone. Not every device is for everyone. Clearly WP7 is not for her. From what you describe she needs an iPhone.

And I agree, she needs an iphone sans the slider keyboard. Seems basic and functional enough for her to keep up with the Jones's.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's USB tethering on the Quantum. She doesn't care how it tethers just as long as it does since she doesn't have any other internet connection at her house to use her laptop with. Of course getting a DSL or something else is an option we're looking at also.

I'd vote for DSL. Cheaper than buying a tethering plan from AT&T.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

She's considering it, but is hesitant because so many ****heads own them. I know what she's saying, but if it does the job then so be it is what I tell her. We'll see. She likes the way WP works on my Quantum which is why I'm trying to find a WP-based solution for her. At the store she did have better luck on the iPhone 4 soft keyboard than on the Lumia 900.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
She's considering it, but is hesitant because so many ****heads own them. I know what she's saying, but if it does the job then so be it is what I tell her. We'll see. She likes the way WP works on my Quantum which is why I'm trying to find a WP-based solution for her. At the store she did have better luck on the iPhone 4 soft keyboard than on the Lumia 900.

Well the Lumia 900 form is way bigger that the tiny iphone 4s. it's more narrow and thinner. If the 800 had a few more things going for it then I'd say thats it. There are plenty more WP7 devices to be had, but when it comes to those extra bells and whistles, that's where WP7 falls a bit short. WP7 is more for basic users who use it alot. It's not for TRUE power users

What surprises me is how many people actually like a lower spec phone in the age of super fast technological advances. What surprises me even more is that MS set the hardware spec so low that it can't satisfy the min/max power user's e-peen.

I think your girl would be happy with it once MS decides the fill up the holes with WP8. but she wants a phone now...so....yeah. Iphone my man. Save her some headaches that come with SOME android devices. There are some great android devices out there. I loved the HTC rezound and the HTC One X is a joy to look and and play with.

Still, I love my Lumia 900. I'm a winphan!

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you're right about this. I had to tether just now and thought to do a speedtest. I'm getting 2.71Mbps down and 320 Kbps up.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you're right about this. I had to tether just now and thought to do a speedtest. I'm getting 2.71Mbps down and 320 Kbps up.
If that's your experience, then I stand corrected. That's a useful bit of info because I prefer to do USB tethering only because if my laptop's plugged in, my phone's getting charged as well. Thanks! :)

grimduk

May 2, 2012
Visit site
The lumia 800 is great size and the Nokia phones have free navigation with Nokia drive and stream music for free tethering find hotspots and get wifi at home or get a mifi like device

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

My old HD7 had free tethering. It was part of my data plan. $30 unlimited. I did it all the time. I called t-mobile before I added it. I had the 4g Unlimited up to 5gigs.

At&t charges for tethering.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, at least some of the T-Mo plans include free tethering. I have the $30 with 5GB HSPA+ data, unlimited messaging, and 100 minutes and tethering is included. The store reps didn't know that, but customer service will know better so I advise anyone calls ahead if they're considering these plans.

My only gripe was that the Radar currently has a bug where if you at ANY point after a factory reset enable tethering, WiFi will cease to function properly unless you're also on Airplane mode. That is, WiFi does not work while the mobile data network is enabled; nor does the mobile data network for that matter if WiFi is enabled. Just beware of this if you're considering the Radar before an update with a fix is pushed.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You are not alone really. I'm on T-MO we have two WP devices the Lumia 710 and the HTC Radar both are mid entry devices. The Problem with WP is that there are currently two devices that are very good both happen to be on the AT&T network. WP needs to really be on other networks and not just with low end devices but high end one's as well.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't use much data when I tether. Usually just email and RDP. I'll look into the Focus, but I'd probably have to get it on eBay or something, right? I'm pretty sure it's no longer offered through normal channels.
Yeah, ebay is a good bet. I bought my two Windows Phones off there, from individuals (not bulk sellers like gazelle_store), in BIN listings with good pictures. Both were steals, both were mint :)

I'm contemplating selling my Focus fairly soon. I can (and probably will) list it here on WPC first.
My only gripe was that the Radar currently has a bug where if you at ANY point after a factory reset enable tethering, WiFi will cease to function properly unless you're also on Airplane mode. That is, WiFi does not work while the mobile data network is enabled; nor does the mobile data network for that matter if WiFi is enabled. Just beware of this if you're considering the Radar before an update with a fix is pushed.
Ahh, yes...I forgot about that issue. It will happen when internet connection sharing is enabled on the Focus before the fix is installed. Once it's fixed, there's nothing to worry about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism