WP fails the girlfriend needs test

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It's not embarrassing at all. Different strokes for different folks.

In all reality, the 800 is your best bet. Heck, the Quantum is still a good phone, and I bet you could get it for a steal off eBay. Heck I got a Titan II for $327 just the other day. LG Quantum plus Navigon = perfect.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.
The Quantum is $150 on eBay, but it's unlocked. Some commenters said they had challenges getting it going on ATT. That's a risk I would probably take for myself as I could probably figure it out, but I'm not sure she wants to take that risk. Any idea what's involved with getting a non-carrier-branded C900?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
How is any of that the fault of Microsoft or the OS?
It's not. What is 100% Microsoft's fault is not fully supporting expandable storage or requiring it as a basic spec such as the quarter-inch headphone jack, 5MP camera, and others. That would have changed things quite a bit. At the store there was a guy asking a clerk about the Lumia 900. He was interested and seemingly almost about to pull the trigger when he asked, "Is there a microSD card slot." Once hearing the bad news he moved on to the Android selection. As a fan of WP it is painful for me to see all the holes in a platform that has so much potential.

Last edited:

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The Quantum is $150 on eBay, but it's unlocked. Some commenters said they had challenges getting it going on ATT. That's a risk I would probably take for myself as I could probably figure it out, but I'm not sure she wants to take that risk.

If you look closely on ebay they are new locked Quantums there for $150, used ones for about half the cost.

As far from free tethering on AT&T goes you can forget that with a smartphone unless you root it.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
If you look closely on ebay they are new locked Quantums there for $150, used ones for about half the cost.

As far from free tethering on AT&T goes you can forget that with a smartphone unless you root it.
OK, I'll have a closer look. The free tethering is there without rooting or anything. The procedure is posted on the net and here in the forums. It is kind of a pain in that it requires periodic reboots. I think a used Quantum, new Focus S, or Android Captivate are the options to consider for now. I suspect by the time I see her next she will have already gotten the iPod mini since music is important to her.

Speaking of that, does anyone know if WP compression will make her 10GB iPod collection fit on an 8GB WP? If that's the case then I think the Lumia 710 is worth a look also. Sound quality isn't important to her.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The focus S has the same screen size as the lumia 900, but it is much lighter. I thought you said the Lumia 900 was too big???

I would either go for an iphone 4s / a Lumia 800 used off of ebay.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of that, does anyone know if WP compression will make her 10GB iPod collection fit on an 8GB WP? If that's the case then I think the Lumia 710 is worth a look also. Sound quality isn't important to her.

After apps there is maybe 5-6 gigs of usable space left on the phone. If music is so important...I'd spring for the $10 a month "unlimited everything" music plan. Does she current pay for her music or...just "Acquire" it somehow.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not. What is 100% Microsoft's fault is not fully supporting expandable storage.....

Funny, Apple doesn't and never will, but they do fine in this department. I'm just sayin...

Besides, I've got 50GB of online storage with SkyDrive (2 MSN accounts). I can't think of why I would want more than 16GB on my phone or need multiple card. Never had more than 16GB on ANY of my dozen or so Android phones and it wasn't missed. I know it's just a personal preference, but there are alternatives when you have non-removable storage.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, yes I think the 800 would be perfect as stated by many others.
Thanks, but it's expensive in the USA and doesn't do tethering. Yeah, it looks great and probably is the right size for her. I'm sure Nokia Drive would also be good, but it falls just a bit short I think for her needs.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
After apps there is maybe 5-6 gigs of usable space left on the phone. If music is so important...I'd spring for the $10 a month "unlimited everything" music plan. Does she current pay for her music or...just "Acquire" it somehow.
Hmmmm.... The Zune Pass I didn't think of (that's what you're talking about right?). That might be a winner. Thanks! She's coming from an iPod so all of her music was from iTunes and ripped from CDs. She is not aware of those alternate means of getting music...

Last edited:

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The focus S has the same screen size as the lumia 900, but it is much lighter. I thought you said the Lumia 900 was too big???

I would either go for an iphone 4s / a Lumia 800 used off of ebay.
It was mentioned previously that the Focus S is thinner than the Lumia 900 and might feel better for her. She's not opposed to a large phone, but there was something about the Lumia 900 that didn't feel right for her. Something about the edges cutting into her palms while typing in landscape mode. If it had rounded edges it probably would've been a winner.

Last edited:

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Funny, Apple doesn't and never will, but they do fine in this department. I'm just sayin...

Besides, I've got 50GB of online storage with SkyDrive (2 MSN accounts). I can't think of why I would want more than 16GB on my phone or need multiple card. Never had more than 16GB on ANY of my dozen or so Android phones and it wasn't missed. I know it's just a personal preference, but there are alternatives when you have non-removable storage.
I'm aware of the Apple limitation. I just expect more choices from MS and their partners. To Apple's credit, the 4 and 4S come with different storage sizes to accomodate different storage needs. I didn't think about SkyDrive, so thanks for that and we will consider it. What is the lag time after pressing play if the music file is in SkyDrive? Can you put playlists up there also? How easy is it to buy a song from iTunes and/or Zune and save it to SkyDrive? I'll do some research on it also, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm aware of the Apple limitation. I just expect more choices from MS and their partners. To Apple's credit, the 4 and 4S come with different storage sizes to accomodate different storage needs. I didn't think about SkyDrive, so thanks for that and we will consider it. What is the lag time after pressing play if the music file is in SkyDrive? Can you put playlists up there also? How easy is it to buy a song from iTunes and/or Zune and save it to SkyDrive? I'll do some research on it also, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Yeah, you've got options. I really wouldn't let the onboard storage be a deal breaker. What I use the onboard storage and SkyDrive for are backups for music. I DJ, and for those times when something can go wrong, I want to make sure I have alternate sources for music. To be honest, the Zune Pass is wonderful. I just started using it yesterday, and other than some obscure soundtracks, early rave songs, and some drum and bass tracks, I'd say I'm getting about 80% of what I've been looking for and you can create playlists right on the phone.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
No, they should be embarrassed that they don't offer a device that can satisfy some pretty basic needs.

A hardware keyboard and tons of storage space are hardly basic needs, especially with Zune pass,the cloud and the many streaming radio apps out there. The radar and Lumia 710 are doing great on Tmo with just 8GB of space. This is flawed reasoning at its best.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you've got options. I really wouldn't let the onboard storage be a deal breaker. What I use the onboard storage and SkyDrive for are backups for music. I DJ, and for those times when something can go wrong, I want to make sure I have alternate sources for music. To be honest, the Zune Pass is wonderful. I just started using it yesterday, and other than some obscure soundtracks, early rave songs, and some drum and bass tracks, I'd say I'm getting about 80% of what I've been looking for and you can create playlists right on the phone.
You've been very helpful! I will give it a test run on my Quantum and show it to her. If this works out then I would say the Lumia 710 is the one for her, even without the keyboard. I'll take her to T-Mobile to check it out. I've been wanting to check it out myself anyway...

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
A hardware keyboard and tons of storage space are hardly basic needs, especially with Zune pass,the cloud and the many streaming radio apps out there. The radar and Lumia 710 are doing great on Tmo with just 8GB of space. This is flawed reasoning at its best.
You've been helpful, but in kind of a dick sort of way. Perhaps work on that. I will, too. We need to be cool to each other here. I told another forum member to blow himself and feel bad about it now. Sorry, dude! We're cool now, right? All in fun I suppose...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Turn by turn is crap on the iPhone. And if Android & BlackBerry are out of the question, I'd probably try and find a cheap, like-new Quantum off eBay or pay a pretty penny for the Lumia 800 as AT&T doesn't offer that at a subsidized price. You have the option of going with the Focus Flash or the Focus S as it's pretty thin and very lightweight.

The Focus Flash doesn't have 10+ GB, but unless she's a DJ by night, she doesn't need 10GB of music at one time on the device. She can create a playlist with all the songs she would need in a day. She can also do Pandora through 3rd party apps and iHeartradio.

You can also use AT&T Navigator on these devices for turn by turn.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I signed up for the 14-day trial of Zune Pass. Streaming took 28 seconds between each song and in AT&T dead zones it just cuts out. I don't know if that's going to work for someone used to an iPod. I'll try to find out about the compression used for WP vs iPod classic. Maybe 8GB on the WP is more than 10GB on the iPod.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
On Zune you can automatically convert music files down to 96Kbps, which should definitely get 10Gb of music down to about 6-7Gb depending on what bitrate her music files are currently at.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
At&t had a navigation app I'm sure of it
Edit: yes and its free.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss