WP fails the girlfriend needs test

anotherhawkeye

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
$900 for the Lumia 800 bundle is not within her price range and I've learned not to wait for updates that might never come. If ATT services cost less off-contract it might make long-term financial sense, but to the best of my knowledge you pay the same for services whether you're on contract or off contract. Please let me know if that's not true.

You can buy the 900 on contract for $20 from amazon, sell it on eBay and get a 800 from eBay for pretty much the same money. Something to think about. Or tell her to get an iPhone.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
After apps there is maybe 5-6 gigs of usable space left on the phone. If music is so important...I'd spring for the $10 a month "unlimited everything" music plan. Does she current pay for her music or...just "Acquire" it somehow.

On my Lumia 710, there's only 6.28 GB total storage available and that's before apps :(

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Just to add to the mix, the Trophy is 16GB and is smaller than the Lumia 900. It's also still free (on contract) from Amazon Wireless and Newegg.

You might mess with streaming music from SkyDrive and be able to revisit the phones that have less memory.

soulzero

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
You should also look into The HTC Arrive from Sprint, it hits all four of your Girlfriends basic requirements... Lanscape Keyboard, 16GB, Tethering, and GPS...

Last edited:

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If she tethers a phone recognized by ATT as a smartphone in their database, she will have the tethering plan forcibly placed on her account.

That is, unless you use a program to spoof browser and OS versions...

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
If she tethers a phone recognized by ATT as a smartphone in their database, she will have the tethering plan forcibly placed on her account.

That is, unless you use a program to spoof browser and OS versions...
I've been tethering with my Quantum for 8 months. They haven't caught me yet!

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
You should also look into The HTC Arrive from Sprint, it hits all four of your Girlfriends basic requirements... Lanscape Keyboard, 16GB, Tethering, and GPS...
How do you tether with the Arrive? According to Sprint it is not available. On the web I've heard of people installing custom ROMs like in the WM days. Have you done that? If so, what was your experience? This goes back to adding risk that I'm not sure she'd be willing to take on. If it was me, yeah I'd go for it.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Just to add to the mix, the Trophy is 16GB and is smaller than the Lumia 900. It's also still free (on contract) from Amazon Wireless and Newegg.

You might mess with streaming music from SkyDrive and be able to revisit the phones that have less memory.
I went to a store to check it out, but of course they didn't have it. Plus, it doesn't do tethering out of the box. I do like that they've rolled out 8107 for it, though. Can't say the same for the Lumia 710 or Arrive.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
How much data do you use?

They know what they are doing, however :( :) Some people have had the plan added months after tethering just once.
How do you tether with the Arrive? According to Sprint it is not available. On the web I've heard of people installing custom ROMs like in the WM days. Have you done that? If so, what was your experience? This goes back to adding risk that I'm not sure she'd be willing to take on. If it was me, yeah I'd go for it.
Is she set on having a contract with ATT? How much data and talk does she need? There's always prepaid...and they can't really add a tethering plan to your plan ;)

I have internet sharing enabled on my Samsung Focus and it was really simple to WindowBreak it and get that up and running. No custom ROM needed, plus I have the 8107 update. And after my experience with Windows Mobile, I am averse to modifying phones :p

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't waste a contract commitment on a Launch WP7 device. It isn't worth it.

Maybe you can find a cheap one on eBay, though...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Earlier in your posts you mentioned that your lady was using a Pantech feature phone and she was pretty adamant about bluetooth tethering. Am I the only one who noticed this? AFAIK, no current Windows Phone, non-rooted Android or iPhone can do that. You have to have a rooted Android with wireless tether pre- 2_0_7 or a HP Pre with freetether if you want a newer phone. You also mention you've been tethering with the Quantum. Are you doing it with Wi-Fi or USB? If it's wireless, I'm assuming you flashed the Telstra ROM.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Earlier in your posts you mentioned that your lady was using a Pantech feature phone and she was pretty adamant about bluetooth tethering. Am I the only one who noticed this? AFAIK, no current Windows Phone, non-rooted Android or iPhone can do that. You have to have a rooted Android with wireless tether pre- 2_0_7 or a HP Pre with freetether if you want a newer phone. You also mention you've been tethering with the Quantum. Are you doing it with Wi-Fi or USB? If it's wireless, I'm assuming you flashed the Telstra ROM.

No windows phone can tether? Is this a fact? Because I tether all the time on my Lumia. Now if you are talking about tethering no matter the data plan you use thats a different story. I have the 5 GB data plan which included tethering. Thought it was a nobrainer with my company discount of 21 percent. My Samsung Galaxy tab flies with the tethering.

On another note, I am not as inclined to use my galaxy tab much because of my windows phone. Thinking about selling it and getting a kindle fire or something.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It's USB tethering on the Quantum. She doesn't care how it tethers just as long as it does since she doesn't have any other internet connection at her house to use her laptop with. Of course getting a DSL or something else is an option we're looking at also.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No windows phone can tether? Is this a fact? Because I tether all the time on my Lumia. Now if you are talking about tethering no matter the data plan you use thats a different story. I have the 5 GB data plan which included tethering. Thought it was a nobrainer with my company discount of 21 percent. My Samsung Galaxy tab flies with the tethering.

On another note, I am not as inclined to use my galaxy tab much because of my windows phone. Thinking about selling it and getting a kindle fire or something.
Bluetooth tethering!! I know WP7 does Wi-Fi tethering, I posted a tutorial on it for the LG Quantum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa