WP fails the girlfriend needs test

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I went to an AT&T store today with my girlfriend. Her 12-year-old iPod just died and she's eligible for a phone upgrade so we thought maybe now's the time to get her a smartphone. She's coming from a Pantech feature phone with a landscape keyboard and free tethering capabilities via Bluetooth. She has what I consider to be basic requirements:

1. Good turn-by-turn navigation
2. 10GB+ to hold her music
3. Tethering
4. Landscape keyboard

Of course, item #4 was a deal-breaker already since no WP at AT&T currently have a keyboard. However, she thought she'd give the soft keyboard a try and return it after 30 days if she couldn't stand it. So, we threw out #4. Even with only the first three items on the list the only choice was the Lumia 900 with Nokia Drive. She loved it except it was too big for her tiny girlie hands. The only other WP that was physically smaller than the Lumia 900 was the Focus Flash, which only had 8GB storage and no tethering. So, WP on AT&T was a fail.

I then started thinking about other carriers and found the only other devices that have tethering are the Lumia 710 and Radar, neither of which meet the storage requirement of 10GB+. Fail again.

She is leaning towards staying with her freaking Pantech feature phone, enabling AT&T Navigator on it, and just getting a new iPod Nano. WP loses to Pantech + iPod Nano. How embarrassing for Microsoft and their partners. What's worse is that my WM Tilt2 from 2009 had all of the above features once adding a microSD card and downloading the free Bing program. I didn't even pay extra for tethering. Now AT&T charges $50 for a tethering/data plan. LG Quantum fits the bill also, but it went EOL a few months ago. Expandable storage would also have saved the day. Why that's not widely available in WP just boggles my mind.

Can anyone else recommend a solution? Android and Blackberry are not options for various reasons. iPhone 4 16GB maybe, but she will need to get a nav app, pay the exorbitant tethering fee, and still won't have a keyboard. If I can find my Tilt2 maybe I'll just give her that. Pfftt...

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
if she likes WP, I'd consider importing a Lumia 800 for her, the fact that she'd be off contract would be an added bonus;)

otherwise, I'd say Android would be best for her needs tbh. obviously I don't know why you say it's not an option, but the Captivate glide or whatever it's called probably fits the bill just fine...free navigation, expandable storage, landscape keyboard, and is tethering capable (for free if you root).

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
A Lumia 800 with a 3,7" screen would suit her I guess. Since she loved the 900 but it was too big.

Lumia 800 doesn't have tethering yet though. But it will come in a future firmware upgrade.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the other users, the Lumia 800 seems to be a perfect fit.

Just what are those "free bluetooth tethering" capabilities she's looking for?

@Bee Mon: don't troll, help. That's the way to have a great WP community.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

But without troll help I'd only have like 10 posts. :D

lip: Try taking a look at the Focus S. It has a large beautiful screen but it's super thin. Should be easier on her than the 900. Also comes with 16GB and tethering (which AT&T will charge hefty for). If Bing Maps doesn't get the job done for her then there are other GPS options. Navigation has voice turn by turn and is only five bucks. However, there are more expensive ones like Navigon or Garmin if she wants a more complete GPS experience.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It's not embarrassing at all. Different strokes for different folks.

In all reality, the 800 is your best bet. Heck, the Quantum is still a good phone, and I bet you could get it for a steal off eBay. Heck I got a Titan II for $327 just the other day. LG Quantum plus Navigon = perfect.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

The Pantech can be used as a modem for her laptop. It is done wirelessly via Bluetooth. All that is needed is a data plan, not the expensive tethering/wireless hotpot thing for 50 bucks a month.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
But without troll help I'd only have like 10 posts. :D

lip: Try taking a look at the Focus S. It has a large beautiful screen but it's super thin. Should be easier on her than the 900. Also comes with 16GB and tethering (which AT&T will charge hefty for). If Bing Maps doesn't get the job done for her then there are other GPS options. Navigation has voice turn by turn and is only five bucks. However, there are more expensive ones like Navigon or Garmin if she wants a more complete GPS experience.
Thanks for the suggestion. That model wasn't on display at the store. Maybe I can find it at a different store and have her give it a try.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No, they should be embarrassed that they don't offer a device that can satisfy some pretty basic needs.

Not really.

The phone does everything she requires, aside from the hardware keyboard. She just didn't care for the size.

Whatever. I'm sick of people chastising Microsoft/Nokia/Whomever because of some pet peeve they have. You don't like the phone? Buy something else. That's why we have choices.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
A Lumia 800 with a 3,7" screen would suit her I guess. Since she loved the 900 but it was too big.

Lumia 800 doesn't have tethering yet though. But it will come in a future firmware upgrade.
$900 for the Lumia 800 bundle is not within her price range and I've learned not to wait for updates that might never come. If ATT services cost less off-contract it might make long-term financial sense, but to the best of my knowledge you pay the same for services whether you're on contract or off contract. Please let me know if that's not true.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not really.

The phone does everything she requires, aside from the hardware keyboard. She just didn't care for the size.

Whatever. I'm sick of people chastising Microsoft/Nokia/Whomever because of some pet peeve they have. You don't like the phone? Buy something else. That's why we have choices.

Exactly, and its unclear how or why MS or anyone else should be embarrassed or be tagged a failure because a phone's size doesnt meet someone's requirements.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, and its unclear how or why MS or anyone else should be embarrassed or be tagged a failure because a phone's size doesnt meet someone's requirements.
You're kidding yourself if you think size doesn't matter when it comes to phones. Would you enjoy typing on a 2.5" screen? The converse is true for people with little hands trying to use the larger phones. Being able to have the phone fit in your hands and being able to use it comfortably I think is a basic need. She's not a midget or anything. There has to be more people that have basic needs that are not being met by a consortium of outstanding partners. They need to step it up a few notches or continue facing the consequences. I hope the coming wave of WP8 phones offer more choices.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
FYI .. WP size are exactly what the MAJORITY of Smartphone users are looking for according to the latest surveys , so we are on part for PHONE size.

the best phone for your G-f might be the LG Optimums Quantum with they keybored .. small screen .. if you can still find one ( probably only USED)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You're kidding yourself if you think size doesn't matter when it comes to phones. Would you enjoy typing on a 2.5" screen? The converse is true for people with little hands trying to use the larger phones. Being able to have the phone fit in your hands and being able to use it comfortably I think is a basic need. She's not a midget or anything. There has to be more people that have basic needs that are not being met by a consortium of outstanding partners. They need to step it up a few notches or continue facing the consequences. I hope the coming wave of WP8 phones offer more choices.

How is any of that the fault of Microsoft or the OS?

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
$900 for the Lumia 800 bundle is not within her price range and I've learned not to wait for updates that might never come. If ATT services cost less off-contract it might make long-term financial sense, but to the best of my knowledge you pay the same for services whether you're on contract or off contract. Please let me know if that's not true.
You can find it on Amazon for around $500. And the update WILL come, it's Nokia after all ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism