Now THIS Is How You Advertise....

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
This IE9 advert has been playing in the UK for a couple of weeks now. I've been waiting for it to be uploaded to share....

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYRbYzgAvSA&feature=related[/YT]

No cheesy actors. No iSmugness. Just, to-the-point... and in a way that shows Microsoft is 'current'. Alex Clare was a great choice. Not just Alex Clare, but the "Dubstep mix". For our friends in the US - dubstep is kinda cool and groovy here in the UK. Personally, I like bits 'n pieces, but my own personal taste aside, I think MS nailed this advert. Kudos to Microsoft UK. :cool:

Bring on the Windows 8 & Windows Phone 8 adverts!

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Shame it was IE being advertised. Don't remember the last time I used it outside of work.

On a side note, we know what dubstep is. We've had that music long ago... It is the same sound that spewed out of dial up modems before you heard, "you've got mail".

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Shame it was IE being advertised. Don't remember the last time I used it outside of work.

On a side note, we know what dubatep is. We've had that music long ago... It is the same sound that spewed out of dial up modems before you heard, "you've got mail".

I don't see how it is a shame when IE9 has overtaken Chrome and Firefox by a decent margin.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing cool or groovy about dumbstep. It sounds like some ADHD kid having an epileptic seizure on the turntables...

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

On a side note, we know what dubstep is. We've had that music long ago... It is the same sound that spewed out of dial up modems before you heard, "you've got mail".

Yes, I agree it is a shame it was only IE9 that was being advertised, but still.... it gives me great hope for future Microsoft ads in the UK. As for Dubstep, I just wanted to be sure - that's all. You may have heard it long ago, but it originates from London, England (hence the explanation).

There is nothing cool or groovy about dumbstep. It sounds like some ADHD kid having an epileptic seizure on the turntables...

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

I was referring to the target demographic. Personal opinions aside, Deadmau5, Nicki Minaj, and Dubstep is appealing to the cool kids. I agree with that approach.

Last edited:

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing cool or groovy about dumbstep

How long did it take for you to think that one up? :p

[edmhipster]For one I'm pretty glad that the music I thought was cool back in '04 has finally filtered through to the mainstream. I was thinking I was losing my touch[/edmhipster]

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's IE. IE can be advertised nicely because they actually released a version that was at least on par with the competing platforms. IE9 was a HUGE leap forward and I don't use any other browser, even though it does seem a bit crash/freeze-up happy it gets the job done.

For phone advertising (Carrier), I think Verizon gets a gold medal, though:

Verizon mothers day commercial - YouTube

And Samsung wins the gold for OEMs for their screen commercials (they should have done one for their WP7 devices, IMO):

Samsung Infuse 4G "Spider" - YouTube

Don't need Nicki Minaj and Dubstep or Deadmau5 (have never heard of the latter two) to make good commercials.

The mother's day one is funny though, hillarious I always drop what I'm doing to go watch it when it comes on television. Seems like Verizon and Samsung are the only people these days capable of pulling you into their advertising (even Apple's commercials are boring).

Some of the commercials they had when WP7 came out were funny, though. Main issue is that even though they were sort of funny, a lot of people had no clue what the message was. Like, they showed people using BBs, but they didn't show what the advantages of WP7 was in that regard. They needed to do Smoked by WP7 in their commercials, not after Mango Launch, so that people could see the advantages. All you got from those commercials, for the most part, was a picture of the WP7 home screen.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It's a pretty good commercial. I'm not really a fan of dubstep, but the song in the commercial wasn't too bad and it fit the commercial well enough. IE9 is quite good, I would use it as my main browser if it had ad blocking that was as good as that in Firefox.

queritor

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a pretty good commercial. I'm not really a fan of dubstep, but the song in the commercial wasn't too bad and it fit the commercial well enough. IE9 is quite good, I would use it as my main browser if it had ad blocking that was as good as that in Firefox.

Have you tried this? It works well on the sites I frequent and no adblocker plugin is necessary.
PrivacyChoice - IE9 TPL

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
IE9 is a big step up but I'm not giving up Firefox. Just will not go back to anything without adblock plus.

I will say it's a good commercial; everyone is all over the dubstep in their ads now.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
this has been out for awhile now, seen it many times , and im in ohio. there was one before this with wiz khalifa

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I HATE Dubstep. And to help with some understanding, Dubstep is a style of music, not a group. Deadmau5 is a group.

Anyway, its annoying and ruins any kind of dancing to it. OK, I'm done.

Cool commercial though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3