MAJOR Browser shortcoming? really?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? Those UA string edits don't work 100% there's other ways sites identify which is which.

Well yes, you can use Javascript to test whether features are supported, and I guess from that you might be able to narrow down what browser you're dealing with. But that would mean they're putting in a lot of effort just to make sure their site doesn't work on WP. It makes no sense.

It seems pretty clear to me what is happening with the OP's site. The site is using the user agent string to determine whether it's dealing with a mobile browser that supports html5. Then while it's setting up the focusing functionality for the canvas, something breaks along the way and it never gets properly set up. You can tell it's trying though because the progress bar shows up and then just freezes.

By the way, if you look at that link you posted about the ESPN site they admit that the WP browser doesn't support touch events.

JavaScript touch events would be a nice addition.
[Amin] We hear you, stay tuned!

Let me leave you with one more example. Check out this page. It's a simple tutorial for web developers to teach them how to use the html5 canvas.

Create a Drawing App with HTML5 Canvas and JavaScript { William Malone }

Open that up on your phone and try to draw on one of the examples on that page. It doesn't work because canvas event support is not there. It's not the fault of the developer.

urazilation

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have samsung focus. Internet explorer is a terrible browser. Cut the rope doesn't work on facebook. And most other games in facebook requires flash which WP7 is not capable of.
Also, Engadget mobile doesn't show the comments. Unlike android browser ie doesn't have font resize option so that I have to pitch, zoom and scroll sideways continually if I want to read the comments. But, I have no problem with youtube, zune music video and metro ui.
It is frustrating that MS didn't update the browser since mango. I wish firefox or opera would come to wp7. Other browsers from marketplace are base on ie, so they don't bring anything new to the table.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have samsung focus. Internet explorer is a terrible browser. Cut the rope doesn't work on facebook. And most other games in facebook requires flash which WP7 is not capable of.
Also, Engadget mobile doesn't show the comments. Unlike android browser ie doesn't have font resize option so that I have to pitch, zoom and scroll sideways continually if I want to read the comments. But, I have no problem with youtube, zune music video and metro ui.
It is frustrating that MS didn't update the browser since mango. I wish firefox or opera would come to wp7. Other browsers from marketplace are base on ie, so they don't bring anything new to the table.

the comments work fine on the Engadget desktop site. Reason it doesn't work on mobile is because it's based off webkit, it's not IE's fault and it's actually the best browser.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well yes, you can use Javascript to test whether features are supported, and I guess from that you might be able to narrow down what browser you're dealing with. But that would mean they're putting in a lot of effort just to make sure their site doesn't work on WP. It makes no sense.

It seems pretty clear to me what is happening with the OP's site. The site is using the user agent string to determine whether it's dealing with a mobile browser that supports html5. Then while it's setting up the focusing functionality for the canvas, something breaks along the way and it never gets properly set up. You can tell it's trying though because the progress bar shows up and then just freezes.

By the way, if you look at that link you posted about the ESPN site they admit that the WP browser doesn't support touch events.

Let me leave you with one more example. Check out this page. It's a simple tutorial for web developers to teach them how to use the html5 canvas.

Create a Drawing App with HTML5 Canvas and JavaScript { William Malone }

Open that up on your phone and try to draw on one of the examples on that page. It doesn't work because canvas event support is not there. It's not the fault of the developer.

just tried it and it worked on my HD7.

urazilation

May 4, 2012
Visit site
the comments work fine on the Engadget desktop site. Reason it doesn't work on mobile is because it's based off webkit, it's not IE's fault and it's actually the best browser.

I already mentioned that I have to pinch, zoom, scroll sideways to see the comments on desktop mode. If ie had text resize option like android i wouldn't mind to read on desktop but that is not the case here. IE is just a bare-bone browser with no way to customize like other major phone web browsers (opera, firefox, dolphin)

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
This is the only thing I don't understand. I have no idea why it would've worked on the Focus. Maybe they used to just use html4 and javascript but then they updated the site to use html5 canvas right around the time she switched phones? It seems unlikely but I can't think of any other explanation.

they might well have done this as they started to roll out their product. i've contacted lytro about it

incidentally. I WAS able to get it working on my lumia and my ie9 using the lumia browsing agent - but not directly

i did a bit of poking about inside the code and i found the actual picture gets rendered from this link which it builds when it renders the 'carousel' - i've heard people mention something called webkit - which might explain why the carousel does not work and load the image into it after it pulls up the static 'thumbnail' of the lytro picture.

http://cdn-lfe-01.lytro.com/80657C/...f927-11e0-9f6c-123139407c18/output.html5.json

this is essentially the 'raw' picture

feel free to try it from the lumia too

i've emailed lytro about it to let them know there is a problem - which potentially effects those wanting to use wp7 or ie9 with html 5 so they are now aware of the issue.

I hope they get it fixed. They told me they're looking into it. but if its indeed this thing called webkit, it might not be a simple fix for them if they even want to bother with it.

I got my lyro yesterday and its awesome - i think i like it better than the Lumia camera :)

here is my first lytro picture i took yesterday - hint click on the fountain to bring it into focus

Lytro - loribinca - My First Lyro Picture ...

I actually think that MS should bite the bullet and implement this webkit thing - just in the interests of keeping the browser market - the mindshare seems to be with apple these days like it or not, so i think they gotta play by their rules at least until they can regain some of the market - otherwise people will just ditch IE for chrome or safari - unfortunately that's not an option we have for WP7 devices - so we just end up missing out and frustrated.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I already mentioned that I have to pinch, zoom, scroll sideways to see the comments on desktop mode. If ie had text resize option like android i wouldn't mind to read on desktop but that is not the case here. IE is just a bare-bone browser with no way to customize like other major phone web browsers (opera, firefox, dolphin)
I don't have to do any of that to read in IE. Probably shouldn't see those comments anyway, they're very ignorant at best.

they might well have done this as they started to roll out their product. i've contacted lytro about it

incidentally. I WAS able to get it working on my lumia and my ie9 using the lumia browsing agent - but not directly

i did a bit of poking about inside the code and i found the actual picture gets rendered from this link which it builds when it renders the 'carousel' - i've heard people mention something called webkit - which might explain why the carousel does not work and load the image into it after it pulls up the static 'thumbnail' of the lytro picture.

http://cdn-lfe-01.lytro.com/80657C/...f927-11e0-9f6c-123139407c18/output.html5.json

this is essentially the 'raw' picture

feel free to try it from the lumia too

i've emailed lytro about it to let them know there is a problem - which potentially effects those wanting to use wp7 or ie9 with html 5 so they are now aware of the issue.

I hope they get it fixed. They told me they're looking into it. but if its indeed this thing called webkit, it might not be a simple fix for them if they even want to bother with it.

I got my lyro yesterday and its awesome - i think i like it better than the Lumia camera :)

here is my first lytro picture i took yesterday - hint click on the fountain to bring it into focus

I actually think that MS should bite the bullet and implement this webkit thing - just in the interests of keeping the browser market - the mindshare seems to be with apple these days like it or not, so i think they gotta play by their rules at least until they can regain some of the market - otherwise people will just ditch IE for chrome or safari - unfortunately that's not an option we have for WP7 devices - so we just end up missing out and frustrated.

hmm the raw picture works but the lytro does not. That clearly proves there's a problem with the site and not the browser. As far as webkit it would be harder for MS to rebuild the entire browser rather than web devs changing a small amount of code per the ESPN article linked above.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have to do any of that to read in IE. Probably shouldn't see those comments anyway, they're very ignorant at best.

hmm the raw picture works but the lytro does not. That clearly proves there's a problem with the site and not the browser. As far as webkit it would be harder for MS to rebuild the entire browser rather than web devs changing a small amount of code per the ESPN article linked above.

so - i just tried my link again - if i do this

it does not render - this is the regular site

if i add /embed to then end

Lytro, Inc - Picture Revolution

then it will render just the picture just fine - so its something in the site that's not compatible with IE at this time and not the actual rendering of the image itself.

weird problem eh?

incidentally - in case people get spun up about getting a lytro camera, I will warn you the software you need to suck the pictures off the camera and post up online is mac only at this time - windows to follow later this year .. :p

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

So your way to justify a clear deficiency in the browser is to tell others what they should be seeing?

And you say THOSE comments are ignorant?

P.S. Doesn't just happen at Engadget, in case you didn't notice.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
So your way to justify a clear deficiency in the browser is to tell others what they should be seeing?

And you say THOSE comments are ignorant?

P.S. Doesn't just happen at Engadget, in case you didn't notice.

well I just went to Engadget and was able to see all the comments without scrolling.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
On the mobile site? Stop copping out you know exactly what we re talking about.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3