05-05-2012 01:24 PM
55 123
tools
    so I posted an issue on the lumia 900 forum about not being able to render this particular website -

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lum...ace/191151.htm

I emailed lytro about it who told me that on non-flash devices it uses HTML-5 to render the page

so after a little digging I find this statement that says that the browser on the windows phone does not support HTML5 .. are they serious? WTF !!

HTML 5 support in IE on WP7?

The browser for Windows Phone 7.0 is based on IE 7.0, which does not support HTML 5 (in desktop terms HTML 5 support is part of IE9, which is currently under development).

OK so now I now have to make do with a phone that does not support flash, and does not supposedly support what is touted to be it's replacement

Nice Job Microsoft .. Nice Job ..
    :mad:

has anyone written a PROPER browser for this phone?
    05-02-2012 10:25 AM
    That was for version 7.0. With Mango 7.5 IE was upgraded and is based on IE9 and now supports HTML 5. Try going to youtube and you will be presented with the HTML 5 version with full functionality. The site you are having problems with probably doesnt recognise IE on WP and doesnt present the HTML 5 content.
    05-02-2012 10:51 AM
    That was for version 7.0. With Mango 7.5 IE was upgraded and is based on IE9 and now supports HTML 5. Try going to youtube and you will be presented with the HTML 5 version with full functionality. The site you are having problems with probably doesnt recognise IE on WP and doesnt present the HTML 5 content.
    ^^ This. I have noticed this has been an issue a lot and it is more it seems like something the website creators need to fix on their end regarding the browser flags than anything else.
    05-02-2012 10:53 AM
    ^^ This. I have noticed this has been an issue a lot and it is more it seems like something the website creators need to fix on their end regarding the browser flags than anything else.
    In lieu of that (I will email lytro back) is there a way to set a user agent to "force" it to render html5 ?

What is the string wp7 is returning as the agent? Thanks
    05-02-2012 10:57 AM
    User agent string from a Lumia 800:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 800)
    05-02-2012 11:14 AM
    MAJOR botching and complaining.... before you know the facts and realize it's probably the fault of the webmaster not Microsoft.

Really?
    05-02-2012 12:49 PM
    In lieu of that (I will email lytro back) is there a way to set a user agent to "force" it to render html5 ?

What is the string wp7 is returning as the agent? Thanks
    you can change the user agent in the settings, under website preference change to desktop version instead of mobile version. With this setting you'll be identified as a desktop IE9 and will be presented with the full functionality of the site. This setting displays all websites properly as long as they aren't formatted for IE6.
    05-02-2012 01:04 PM
    you can change the user agent in the settings, under website preference change to desktop version instead of mobile version. With this setting you'll be identified as a desktop IE9 and will be presented with the full functionality of the site. This setting displays all websites properly as long as they aren't formatted for IE6.
    That's not going to work. The desktop version of the site she is trying to view uses flash. Mobile version uses HTML, which our phones are capable of. The problem, it seems, is the site does not recognize mobile IE9.
    05-02-2012 01:08 PM
    That's not going to work. The desktop version of the site she is trying to view uses flash. Mobile version uses HTML, which our phones are capable of. The problem, it seems, is the site does not recognize mobile IE9.
    Now that's a problem , I wish web devs would use html5 instead of flash for their desktop sites too.
    05-02-2012 01:12 PM
    so I get the same result if I open up IE9 on my desktop and put in those nokia agent strings and visit the site - so whatever they're doing in HTML5/Javascript looks like it's not working with IE9 wouldn't you say?

I am not sure how you go about trying to figure out where in the page its failing, as i am not a web developer.
    05-02-2012 08:49 PM
    Here is an interesting article that may or may not be relevant to the topic at hand: It froms the Windows Blog and it talks about websites and rendering on Windows Phone 7.5

Delivering Rich Mobile Web Experiences in Windows Phone 7.5 (ESPN.com Case Study)

Specifically it examines ESPN's site and before and after effect and what ti took to get there.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-02-2012 09:49 PM
    so I get the same result if I open up IE9 on my desktop and put in those nokia agent strings and visit the site - so whatever they're doing in HTML5/Javascript looks like it's not working with IE9 wouldn't you say?

I am not sure how you go about trying to figure out where in the page its failing, as i am not a web developer.
    what's going on is the developers of that site are either using webkit code strings which IE9 can't recognize since it doesn't use webkit or they haven't added the lumia 900 as an exception. Either case it's the fault of the web developers and not Microsoft.
    05-02-2012 11:15 PM
    I've been in a similar situation: I wanted to open livescore.com to check football (yes football, not soccer :P) scores since they don't have an app for WP, it loaded for a second, then displayed an error. Another exmaple is remote.utorrent.com which doesn't load at all... I don't know who to blame, the site developers or MS. Both sites used to work on my iphone and still work on my ipad.
    05-03-2012 04:05 AM
    I've been in a similar situation: I wanted to open livescore.com to check football (yes football, not soccer :P) scores since they don't have an app for WP, it loaded for a second, then displayed an error. Another exmaple is remote.utorrent.com which doesn't load at all... I don't know who to blame, the site developers or MS. Both sites used to work on my iphone and still work on my ipad.
    As others have said its likely the web site coders fault. IE9 is very HTML 5 compliant but some have developed things to work specifically with Webkit (What Safari uses) and in turn that makes them work with Chrome based browsers. Its actually a lot like how IE used to be where IE had very special codes that only worked in IE
    05-03-2012 06:04 AM
    As others have said its likely the web site coders fault. IE9 is very HTML 5 compliant but some have developed things to work specifically with Webkit (What Safari uses) and in turn that makes them work with Chrome based browsers. Its actually a lot like how IE used to be where IE had very special codes that only worked in IE
    Then why doesnt MS make IE webkit compatible?
    05-03-2012 07:44 AM
    Lots of people making assumptions in this thread. I am pretty sure this is not the web developer's fault.

The site appears to use html5 canvas touch events for its functionality. Now I can't find any official documentation, but from what I've read, IE on WP does NOT support html5 canvas touch events. That's why it works on iPhone and Android but not WP.

It's ok to blame MS for this. They clearly have more work to do on the browser.

Edit: I should add that this is consistent with what I've seen on other websites. Ever try to play Words with Friends on your phone browser via Facebook? It uses HTML5. The game will load but you can't do anything. Lack of touch events is probably to blame there too.
    Last edited by thed; 05-03-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    05-03-2012 08:50 AM
    Lots of people making assumptions in this thread. I am pretty sure this is not the web developer's fault.

The site appears to use html5 canvas touch events for its functionality. Now I can't find any official documentation, but from what I've read, IE on WP does NOT support html5 canvas touch events. That's why it works on iPhone and Android but not WP.

It's ok to blame MS for this. They clearly have more work to do on the browser.

Edit: I should add that this is consistent with what I've seen on other websites. Ever try to play Words with Friends on your phone browser via Facebook? It uses HTML5. The game will load but you can't do anything. Lack of touch events is probably to blame there too.
    nah this is incorrect, cut the rope works just fine in IE as do many other things with touch events, especially on the test drive site. So there's probably webkit based coding there too.
    05-03-2012 02:49 PM
    Then why doesnt MS make IE webkit compatible?
    why should MS have to rework the entire browser framework just because some idiotic web devs are putting </webkit> in their coding instead of basic html5 tags? It involves much less work if they slightly revise their code as what's been proven in the ESPN article.
    05-03-2012 02:52 PM
    Don't forget the mobile twitter site fiasco last month. Everyone was blaming MS and IE, because it wasn't rendering like it used to. But a week later, Twitter announced they fixed the problem.
    stevovr likes this.
    05-03-2012 02:56 PM
    Wait a min.......

is this a Discussion about a OUT DATED Flash sites not supporting the new and better HTML5 browsers?

cause if it is....:mad:
    eric12341 likes this.
    05-03-2012 03:08 PM
    why should MS have to rework the entire browser framework just because some idiotic web devs are putting </webkit> in their coding instead of basic html5 tags? It involves much less work if they slightly revise their code as what's been proven in the ESPN article.
    So that people that are using their phones can do whatever they please on the web without thinking about webkit, or html5 or whatever. Why should I be thinking about this, it should just work!

@Se1fcr3ation, relax we're not talking about flash.:P Flash is DEAD!
    05-03-2012 03:46 PM
    nah this is incorrect, cut the rope works just fine in IE as do many other things with touch events, especially on the test drive site. So there's probably webkit based coding there too.
    You're talking about IE on your PC, right? Because I just tried cut the rope on my phone and it doesn't work. IE on WP is not the same thing as IE on the PC, it doesn't support touch events like the PC version does.
    05-03-2012 04:40 PM
    So that people that are using their phones can do whatever they please on the web without thinking about webkit, or html5 or whatever. Why should I be thinking about this, it should just work!

@Se1fcr3ation, relax we're not talking about flash.:P Flash is DEAD!
    I take it that you haven't read the previous posts in this thread or the ESPN article. Don't respond again till you do.
    You're talking about IE on your PC, right? Because I just tried cut the rope on my phone and it doesn't work. IE on WP is not the same thing as IE on the PC, it doesn't support touch events like the PC version does.
    IE on WP and on the PC are the same thing. I tried cut the rope back in January on my HD7 and it worked fine.
    05-03-2012 05:12 PM
    I take it that you haven't read the previous posts in this thread or the ESPN article. Don't respond again till you do.

IE on WP and on the PC are the same thing. I tried cut the rope back in January on my HD7 and it worked fine.
    Would you be kind enough to tell me where the ESPN thread is? And my argument still stands: I shouldn't even be having this conversation! The browser should work without me worrying about it!
    05-03-2012 05:36 PM
    Would you be kind enough to tell me where the ESPN thread is? And my argument still stands: I shouldn't even be having this conversation! The browser should work without me worrying about it!
    here go here:

Delivering Rich Mobile Web Experiences in Windows Phone 7.5 (ESPN.com Case Study)
    ninjaap likes this.
    05-03-2012 06:35 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD