05-09-2012 03:23 PM
57 123
tools
    The wireless sync is just a convenience you're not even supposed to think about. Its supposed to be just an extra bonus for when your charging your phone. And instead of just sitting there, might as well do something useful for you with its time.
    Yes, yes. This.

While I would definitely appreciate the ability to sync without a power connection and force the sync quickly in some way, the current implementation has been working really well for me. Apart from the times where I am actively managing the sync (in which case I make sure to get the cable out), it's been amazing.

I was running out of the house the other day, and realised I hadn't checked for any podcasts. Perhaps I did something I didn't remember, but I'm positive that the sync opened Zune, which then downloaded a podcast and synced it to my device. That's cool.
    05-07-2012 02:29 AM
    Wireless Sync is a great feature, works perfectly for me and it doesn't bother me how it works either ;)

I was reading an article on location services in WP7 and how the WiFi is used to locate as GPS uses more power; it clarifies that it's bad to look at the services in isolation as those services will be used to help power consumption elsewhere.
    05-07-2012 05:17 AM
    Remember when you had to plug things in for them to work?

05-07-2012 09:00 AM
    Yeah. It opens Zune automatically for me too to sync. Though it takes a little long for some reason. Its a snail compared to my Zune HD, which I can manually sync wirelessly, though that uses up the Zune HD quickly. Even still, I wonder why the WiFi synching is much better on my aged Zune than WP. . .

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    05-08-2012 05:21 AM
    Well those are wireless features, and TBH Microsoft doesn't have a lot of equivalents for those. They have failed to really capitalize on the XB360 as far as integration possibilities are concerned. No MTP in the XB360 and no great AirPlay/DLNA features from WP7/Win7 to XB360 outside of Media Center Connect. Looks like the Android Vendors (HTC/Samsung) are willing to play in that field before Microsoft will, at the moment.

The Topic is Wireless Synching, though, so I'm trying not to derail any further than has already happened with the Power Management discussion. That's why I spoke chiefly to the iOS Device Wireless synching capabilities.
    I'm sure it's because MS is working on the next version of XBOX (720) that will also tie into windows 8 platform?
    05-08-2012 08:25 AM
    well pluging it in the wall has nothing to do with the actual connection ... so yeah it IS wireless SYNC...

but it might be a little stupid that it *requires* a AC plug in.

maybe thats one of the reasons MS is dropping ZUNE...
    Wireless sync with Zune is ... well ... wireless. Didn't need power, USB, nothing. It just plain works. (even from the driveway)
    05-09-2012 03:11 PM
    Wireless sync with Zune is ... well ... wireless. Didn't need power, USB, nothing. It just plain works. (even from the driveway)
    lies.

You DO need to be plugged in and charging for it to work.

Fact.
    05-09-2012 03:23 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD