Zune Wireless Sync - are you kidding?

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
so apparently the whole catch in the deal is that I still have to plug the phone into AC power adapter. I thought it was called WIRELESS sync. Why would I plug it in the power adapter instead of the USB link then? This is beyond stupid.

Sync Music, Pictures, & Videos with your PC | Zune Software | Sync Videos | Mobile Sync | Windows Phone 7

Hilarious thing, even iOS WiFi sync requires the device to be plugged into power, so much for the Apple geniuses.

Note - iOS only requires AC power for OS updates, not syncing apps/music/podcasts.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well pluging it in the wall has nothing to do with the actual connection ... so yeah it IS wireless SYNC...

but it might be a little stupid that it *requires* a AC plug in.

maybe thats one of the reasons MS is dropping ZUNE...

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
well pluging it in the wall has nothing to do with the actual connection ... so yeah it IS wireless SYNC...

but it might be a little stupid that it *requires* a AC plug in.

maybe thats one of the reasons MS is dropping ZUNE...

Maybe that's one of the things they're fixing in Windows 8.

moe1up

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I am almost sure it's because it syncs intermentadly instead of on demand. Say it didn't require the AC adapter, you battery would drain when your on the same network as your desktop or laptop with Zune running.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Did you forget that WiFi disconnects when the phone is idle? Unless, of course, its plugged into a wall charger.
Exactly, so if your phone was not plugged in to A/C, wireless sync would try to work while you were trying to use your phone for something more important. No thank you.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft made Windows Phone to be super battery conscious. Windows Phone OS simply won't allow you to leave something on that will kill your battery. Syncing your phone could take a long time and use a lot of power. The idea here is when your near your WIFI not using your phone because your charging it it will sync. It makes perfect sense.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Also when it's synching you cannot listen to music or download apps. I would think most people would rather use their phone for music when it's on battery.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
if you could tell it how much content to sync or a time limit to sync I'd be ok with this. I never let my Zune 30 sync wirelessly when not on power, the battery disappeared in a matter of hours. It will do this on any phone too.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, coming from Zune mp3 players, I think the idea behind the wireless sync on plug in, aside from concerns about battery life, was automating the syncing process. It wasn't something you had to think about or manage, it just happened.

Now on the Zunes, you did have an option to force wireless sync, that has been removed from the phones. I'm guessing things will be changing with WP8, as there's a lot if talk of moving in the direction of a pc-less experience, not requiring a PC. Exactly what form that'll take remains to be seen. They're doing away with the Zune client software, supposedly moving to a more cloud based music solution, really pushing SkyDrive integration. My guess is that wp8 will sync yo the cloud, which will then sync back to the PC and tablet and vice versa. But how well it'll work, or if it'll have Microsoft's usual clunky execution, remains to be seen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

M

mkr10001

Microsoft made Windows Phone to be super battery conscious. Windows Phone OS simply won't allow you to leave something on that will kill your battery. Syncing your phone could take a long time and use a lot of power. The idea here is when your near your WIFI not using your phone because your charging it it will sync. It makes perfect sense.

Doesn't it switch to 3g when the phone is locked...how is that super battery conscious? :/

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yeah but at that point data is a trickle. only agents can access it and only at 15 seconds at a time.

Note that if you are streaming on Wifi and the phone goes to screen lock, it does NOT disconnect wifi....but your battery goes down the tubes.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't it switch to 3g when the phone is locked...how is that super battery conscious? :/

Mine doesn't switch to 3G. It's always on LTE (depending on location, particularly at home).

EDIT: Sorry I missunderstood your post. I get what you're trying to say now.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Another issue (at lease for me) is when I plug in my phone to charge it Zune opens on my laptop, even if I don't want it to. That has become an annoyance for me.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Another issue (at lease for me) is when I plug in my phone to charge it Zune opens on my laptop, even if I don't want it to. That has become an annoyance for me.

im pretty sure you can turn off AUTO OPEN on zune when you plug in your phone.

check the settings in ZUNE.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
if you could tell it how much content to sync or a time limit to sync I'd be ok with this. I never let my Zune 30 sync wirelessly when not on power, the battery disappeared in a matter of hours. It will do this on any phone too.

That's what settings are for. I can assure you it does not happen to phones running other platforms that allow wirelessly synching off the AC adaptor.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
no...connecting to 3g uses more power than connecting to wifi...

it can but normally WIFI uses more...
best way to test this for your self , put your phone in AIRPLANE mod turn ON WIFI (only wifi) and see how long your battery last compare to just being connected to 3G all day. unless you live in a LOW coverage area , see notes below.

Wasted Power

Both 3G and WiFi waste "tail energy" when completing data transfers. Because devices must use more power while transferring data, there is a short period after each transfer when the devices are still at a higher power setting. This power loss is unavoidable, and it will occur regardless of the networking method you choose.

Energy Used in Data Transfers

Although both 3G and WiFi waste some power after completing a data transfer, WiFi is "significantly more efficient than 3G" while completing the transfer. Therefore, a WiFi download will use less energy overall than an identical 3G download.

3G With Limited Coverage

If you live in an area with limited 3G coverage, you may find that using 3G on your device will reduce its battery life (Reference 2). If this happens, you may want to disable 3G on your smartphone or tablet until you are in an area with better coverage.

No WiFi Access

If you are using your device in a location without wireless coverage, leaving the WiFi feature on will decrease the battery life of your device. Wireless devices constantly search for available access points, so turning off WiFi will eliminate energy wasted on fruitless searches for a wireless signal. same thing with 3G

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb