WP Endgame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Let me put it a bit differently--what's the difference between WebOS and WP7? Everyone said there's no way HP will kill WebOS, they've invested too much money in it, every serious tech company needs to be a player in the mobile marketplace, it's too soon. They've killed WebOS, and they're doing better for it. Period. End of story.
This has already been said. HP is a hardware company. Software, such as WebOS, has NEVER been relevant to its financial health. Microsoft is a software company. WP will one day be its bread and butter. Its do or die.

I'd also like to point out that Microsoft's actions have been completely contrary to the fact that they are ready to ditch WP or they regard mobile as unimportant.

Microsoft basically GAVE away WPs in the Smoked by WP Campaign. They spent over 100 million pitching the Lumia 900. Why would MS spend that much money on a product they are about to shaft or regard with secondary importance?

(Okay, it might still make sense if this money was spent the money a couple years ago; but, Microsoft spent the money very recently! And they're still spending! MS won't throw money at a dying product. Investors would regard this as a gross misappropriation of funds.)

Microsoft is pitching WP harder than I've seen them pitch any other product before. MS definitely regards mobile as extremely important. (Contrast with HP, which didn't invest hundreds of millions advertising WebOS.)

Last edited:

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The Xbox had traction in the marketplace. WP7 simply doesn't. Projects can lose money if there's prospects for long-term growth, like the Xbox. But that's what I've been asking is, what is the prospect for long-term growth? Or even short-term growth?

Crawl-walk-run only works if you figure out how to crawl. People are saying "Microsoft can't afford to give up on mobile!" What if they can, or don't have a choice? What if even Android is in trouble, given Apple's absurd dominance? Android has a whole new generation of tablets out, and they're dead in the water, not selling. The iPad is absolutely king. It's not a tablet market, it's an iPad market.

I don't think you understand just how much money MSFT has lost on the Xbox. You need to do some research. They said themselves they are in the mobile business with WP for the long haul so im not sure whats difficult to understand about that. Android tables are doing bad because they suck. Have you actually used one? Its a guarantee that W8 tablets will bring some competition.

most people who buy an Xbox is going to sign up for the service anyway.

if that is true $99 is A better deal.

How is paying 459 dollars for a 4gb xbox/kinect + Live that you are locked into for two years a better deal? Its only better if the rumored services are included

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Really, the behavior of some here is laughable. Attacking Thurotte (who contrary to the opinion of some has been a pretty accurate barometer) because you don't like what he is saying is silly.

Also, he did not make any definitive statement that MS expected increased market share this year or it was closing it up - he said he had heard from SOME contacts in MS that if 2012 did not show market share upswing than they MIGHT be willing to move on. This could easily be true - in any large project you have to have success parameters and it may be time in MS plan to review performance against those parameters. I hope it isn't but it could be.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had time to read more than a couple of posts in this thread, but Microsoft stepping out of mobile is simply absurd. It doesn't make any sense as a rumor. It's so inconceivable, that I am not even going to bother saying why.

Also, Paul Thurrott's track record regarding rumors/speculations, has been average at best. I just hope that when the Lumia 900 gets WP8 (or at the very least, some updates if not the full-fledged OS), people will remember what Paul Thurrott had posted about that. Remember that he said, not only none of the existing devices are getting WP8, but no kind of update towards Apollo whatsover.

Finally, his technical understanding of things is also average at best. He posted something along the lines of "if Tango has push notifications, then the Skype team is just making excuses by also not implementing it". This is something I fully expect from the average user, but not from a "high-profile" tech blogger. There are technical limitations in the case of Skype on Mango, and he just doesn't understand them.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Some reporter spews out something stupid to shock the world and you guys want to have a 10 page thread about it. Windows Phone isn't going anywhere except up. If you all want to discuss it have fun but your wasting your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3