Still loving your Windows Phone???

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I make no bones about how much I enjoy my Focus S and WP in general. The OS is not as mature as Android and iOS, and it is easy to find some things that those users have that they do not want to give up. But, I like to point out:

Was Cupcake as good as ICS is on Android?

Was the the OS on the 2nd iPhone as smooth as what it is on the 4/4S?

The answers, of course, are both no. Just check out how much farther WP 7.5 is than the 2nd year of Android or iOS were. Microsoft took all the lesons they learned from Windows Mobile (mostly bad. My Samsung Blackjack was such a bad experience I went back to feature phones for a bit) and started over. They looked at what people really wanted to use their smartphones for - social media, entertainment, and business use. They focused on social media first, and are working on the other two. What they have done with WP they have done well.

I am expecting great things with Apollo. This should be the OS they have been working to for 3 years. I cannot imagine going to Android or Apple unless they really, really disappoint with features or support. And if the jumps from the launch version of WP7 to the Nodo upgrade, and than the jump to Mango are any indications, it will be a great time to be a Metro UI owner!!!

This pretty much sums up how I feel. I was fully aware that there were a few compromises with WP7 because it's relatively new. In the end I made an informed decision, because every phone and phone OS has compromises. I had Android and really did not care for it. The iPhone had a certain appeal, but I don't care for the tiny screen or the fragile front and back glass construction. The lack of a back button really annoyed me and the UI just feels stale now.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I was fully aware that there were a few compromises with WP7 because it's relatively new. In the end I made an informed decision, because every phone and phone OS has compromises. I had Android and really did not care for it. The iPhone had a certain appeal, but I don't care for the tiny screen or the fragile front and back glass construction. The lack of a back button really annoyed me and the UI just feels stale now.
It's funny how two people can look at the same thing and come away with different impressions. I feel that WP7 is first, and foremost, an enterprise device that has had a massive infusion of social media integration to appeal to the consumer crowd. I missed Windows Mobile because of Office 2010. I didn't miss the negatives (and there were enough to fill a stadium) after Mango came along. Think about it, press one tile and you have access to Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Adobe PDF, SkyDrive, Office 365 and Sharepoint! How many 3rd party apps would you have to download to get all that on any other platform. Even if you could, would they all work cohesively together? Unless you had webOS's multi-tasking ability would you be able to switch between the different apps?

Many of the complaints I see on these boards center around cameras and Skype functions and things of that nature. Not too many discussing the functions listed above, which strengthen my belief that the consumer crowd is getting the majority of the attention as the OS develops. WP7 is highly regarded as a secure platform and if they can get FIPS certification, I see no reason to continue on the Blackberry OS unless some old fuddy-duddy like myself insists on hardware keyboards (my DVP will go into the pine box with me). iOS, nice toys. I use a 4S at work because the company supplies them. To me, they're as useless as tits on a bull and I only use it as a phone. That's not a bash at Apple because my desktop at home is a very old eMac that I swear by.

We all have to work very hard to buy the things we need. We work even harder to get the things we want. If Johnny buys an Android phone, more power to him. If Jimmy gets the shiniest new iPhone, so be it. I prefer WP7 and I'm lovin' it, don't beat me up over it or I'll have to come over to your house and recite Ezekiel 25:17. :)

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
This may sound silly/stupid to some of you. I have as my phone (not of choice) the iPhone 4. While trying to cut some $$$ of my monthly bills, I was going to go with T-Mo and the Nokia 710 on their unlimited data plan with 100 mins talk time. Well, I assumed that all of their phones supported WiFi Talk, they don't. Found the Nokia 710 on craigslist, signed up only to find out that there is no WiFi talk, no Tmo Service where I live at all. So, I have to stick to pricey VZ as they are the only co out here that provides service and stick to the iPhone 4. I am running a theme that makes it look like the Windows Phone 7 Os but the tiles while not static they are not my pictures etc. Also, not just nowhere near as fluid as the 710. So, I obviously use my iPhone for calls and messaging but I still find myself using the non-service 710 more for fun and reading my news and even responding to email since I do get email on it through wifi. So, I didn't save any money in the long run but I learned that I love WP7. It's just a more intuitive design. No we don't have Siri, but we have scout that PROBABLY has the answer to your question before you even ask it, now that's smart.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Glad the topic is still decent and not full of people insulting each other

Sent from Le Lumia de Cyan using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Ever since November of 2008 this country, as a whole, has become very divided in the sense that a lot of people have adopted the mantra of "either you're with us or against us". I hate to interject politics but I'm older than your average tech junkie and I've seen and experienced quite a lot in my almost 50 years. Almost. Young people have this sense of entitlement that just blows my mind and start belly-aching about anything if they don't get their just rewards. I blame the parents mostly but the media has their hands very dirty as well. Anywho, I try to resolve problems on my own as you do and sometimes I have to share my experiences so that others won't follow in my path. By doing this I seem to encourage the haters out of the woodwork who have to chime in with dumbass comments like "Yeah, Samsung sucks" or "iPhone is so much better" instead of posting a solution. It seems it's easier and requires less energy to bash than to help. Oh well, that's the end of my rant; where's my Grape Nuts and prune juice?
Hate to break it to you, but things have been like that since before Obama was elected and I'm half your age whatever it is.
Look guys, I'm not trying to ruin the topic. I was just answering the question.

The thing is that I have a Lg Optimus 7, a phone that has average camera, no front facing camera, plain LCD 3.8 screen and a small battery (great for nodo but not made with mango in mind). I'm stuck with this phone until next year and I don't mind but I'm not sure if it's going to get the next update.

Mango lacks a lot of features, my phone is plain 3g, the third party apps are terrible and expensive, there's no real turn by turn unless I have a Nokia phone.

MY optimus screen is freezing so I can use everything but the screen. I need to get a replacement soon and its going to be either a Galaxy 2 or an iPhone 4. Maybe I'll be part of windows again when my contract ran out next year and Apollo devices will be plenty but I just want to use Pandora like normal people.

what features are lacking? My phone does everything I need it to do, the 3rd party apps will get better. You want to move to Android because of Pandora or defective devices? Where's the logic there, on Android you will have more headaches with all the force closes,malware and battery sucking apps especially if you don't pay for them. 3G (especially T-mobile 3G) isn't bad at all and it's fast enough for everything I need to do, I even game on Xbox live with it and have no issues at all.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on tmobile. Im talking about basic features like Bluetooth file transfer and turn by turn navigation. The apps are really bad and they don't seem to be getting close to their android/ios counterpart.

Look at the Facebook app, is just awful. Slacker radio is the laggiest application I've seeing on my life, Angry Birds lacks like a million levels, Fruit Ninja runs very choppy and is missing the pomegranate. Those games are much more expensive and much much worse, for no reason at all.

I've being with windows phone before we even had copy and paste but I'm kind of tired of being the guy with the phone that lacks all the apps. Where's temple run, asphalt, instangram? Are we going to get a much much worse version next year when they won't be relevant?

I didn't bought my phone as a budget device, I paid 199.99. I could had bought a iphone 4G with that money. A phone with an Os that doesn't make me feel ashamed of myself.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on tmobile. Im talking about basic features like Bluetooth file transfer and turn by turn navigation. The apps are really bad and they don't seem to be getting close to their android/ios counterpart.

Look at the Facebook app, is just awful. Slacker radio is the laggiest application I've seeing on my life, Angry Birds lacks like a million levels, Fruit Ninja runs very choppy and is missing the pomegranate. Those games are much more expensive and much much worse, for no reason at all.

I've being with windows phone before we even had copy and paste but I'm kind of tired of being the guy with the phone that lacks all the apps. Where's temple run, asphalt, instangram? Are we going to get a much much worse version next year when they won't be relevant?

I didn't bought my phone as a budget device, I paid 199.99. I could had bought a iphone 4G with that money. A phone with an Os that doesn't make me feel ashamed of myself.
Dude, don't even go near the BT file transfer or PAN topic. I posted here on wpcentral & XDA regarding this missing functionality and you'd think i smacked somebody on the dick with a hammer. Long story short, some moderator at XDA with a Napoleon complex closed the thread because it "went off topic" in his eyes. Maybe if there weren't so many haters my thread would have stayed alive.

Regarding this thread, the feedback that Winterfang and others are expressing should serve to improve the platform, not be a springboard for dumbass non-consstructive comments. WP7 isn't perfect. In fact as young as it is and the pace of improvements over Android and iOS at the same period of release should be an indicator that MS is listening for once. Drop all the maternal-fornicating hate and let's work as a community to get the equipment and the functionality we so desperately crave. Time to get off my soapbox, thanks for lending me your ear. :D

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, we can't be another webOS. My phone is dying and the only thing that my carrier offers are my phone and the lumia's 710 and 800. I don't want neither.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Dude, don't even go near the BT file transfer or PAN topic. I posted here on wpcentral & XDA regarding this missing functionality and you'd think i smacked somebody on the dick with a hammer. Long story short, some moderator at XDA with a Napoleon complex closed the thread because it "went off topic" in his eyes. Maybe if there weren't so many haters my thread would have stayed alive.

Regarding this thread, the feedback that Winterfang and others are expressing should serve to improve the platform, not be a springboard for dumbass non-consstructive comments. WP7 isn't perfect. In fact as young as it is and the pace of improvements over Android and iOS at the same period of release should be an indicator that MS is listening for once. Drop all the maternal-fornicating hate and let's work as a community to get the equipment and the functionality we so desperately crave. Time to get off my soapbox, thanks for lending me your ear. :D

Some negative feedback is useless on forums besides stopping others from trying WP7.

If you feel that strongly about apps, voice your concerns to the app developers who provide crappy apps.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

I don't use the Facebook app but it's getting better with every update, slacker radio runs fine on my HD7 and so does fruit ninja (which hasn't yet been updated to mango), who cares about all those other apps? Don't be a blind follower with the naive iSheep, you still haven't presented a valid issue to leave the platform especially when we're on the heels of windows 8/WP8 the OS that's finally going to unify the MS ecosystem.
Exactly, we can't be another webOS. My phone is dying and the only thing that my carrier offers are my phone and the lumia's 710 and 800. I don't want neither.

so then get a titan II or lumia 900, if your carrier cam support a Lumia 800 it can support a titan II or lumia 900.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been hearing "the apps will get better" for over a year. The progress on this front is just too slow.

I would love to give WP another try. I think the OS is beautiful, but there are just a few things missing. Not enough apps and the apps that are there are too expensive.

I have never had any malware on my android and it is very reliable and the battery lasts much longer than my trophy.

I really want WP to succeed. I would love to see it on a hi res display with a sweet camera.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Some negative feedback is useless on forums besides stopping others from trying WP7.

If you feel that strongly about apps, voice your concerns to the app developers who provide crappy apps.
Unfortunately, I don't know where to direct my questions. I think that's the whole premise of a forum, a place where people can exchange ideas & suggestions. I'm certainly not complaining about WP7 or any missing functionality, just trying to get ideas if fixes exist that I'm unaware of. Bad-mouthing other forum members is what drives potential users away. I know that if I was looking around for another OS and I stumbled across a forum where trash talk rules the day, I'm looking elsewhere because I won't expect much help if I'm new to the system and I need help. Spin it any way you like but condescension and apathy will kill this or any forum. That's my $.02 worth.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have been hearing "the apps will get better" for over a year. The progress on this front is just too slow.

I would love to give WP another try. I think the OS is beautiful, but there are just a few things missing. Not enough apps and the apps that are there are too expensive.

I have never had any malware on my android and it is very reliable and the battery lasts much longer than my trophy.

I really want WP to succeed. I would love to see it on a hi res display with a sweet camera.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I detect an oxymoron in this post.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a magical HD7, then slacker radio will run as laggy as it does with me. You don't use the Facebook app but you feel like should give an opinion anyway? The app is terrible, I have the website pinned down instead.

I care about the other apps, If I didn't. I would had some 7bucks flip Samsung and be done with it. Call anyone isheep all you want but the phone is popular for a reason, it offers the most for the buck.

I ain't getting a Titan nor going to at&t. I'll get a GS2, iPhone 4 or even a N9. Anything but Windows Phone. I feel rip off.

AiR DEGETA

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had my HTC Arrive since September 2011 and I Love it. The Windows phone OS is a very underrated OS, I had to update my info on my cousin's Evo (Andriod) for 5 minutes last week and it was Cluttered & slow and a pain to get to the contact list. After I was annoyed with the process and learned how much better it is to have a Windows phone than I initially thought.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Unless you have a magical HD7, then slacker radio will run as laggy as it does with me. You don't use the Facebook app but you feel like should give an opinion anyway? The app is terrible, I have the website pinned down instead.

I care about the other apps, If I didn't. I would had some 7bucks flip Samsung and be done with it. Call anyone isheep all you want but the phone is popular for a reason, it offers the most for the buck.

I ain't getting a Titan nor going to at&t. I'll get a GS2, iPhone 4 or even a N9. Anything but Windows Phone. I feel rip off.

What's wrong with the people hub? It displays all posts now. It's popular because of the sheep, you cant even change user agent on that phone or do anything without an app. You don't have to switch to AT&T if your carrier supports AT&T frequencies then you can buy them unlocked. You'll feel even more ripped off on Android with all the malware and other shady apps. Sick of posts like this that's why I joined here, to not have to put up with WP bash posts.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. Been away for a bit. Buying my first 250cc scooter and had to take a two day motorcycle class.

Anyway, love the topic. Went into a wireless store the other day (which doesn't matter). I went to play with the new HTC (yep, found someone that had one). It was neat. ICS is pretty cool. Certainly a change from Gingerbread. But it wasn't until I pulled my Lumia out of my pocket that a new found appreciation for the simplicity of WP7 that I realized the answer to the topic question. YES! You bet your @$$ I still love it. I almost forgot about Android trying to do everything, but not doing just a few things extremely well. Sure, there are things the OS can do that WP7 still can't, but I don't miss them. This phone still does it for me and the honeymoon isn't over.

I'm still one of the bigger fans. It does get better.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with the people hub? It displays all posts now. It's popular because of the sheep, you cant even change user agent on that phone or do anything without an app. You don't have to switch to AT&T if your carrier supports AT&T frequencies then you can buy them unlocked. You'll feel even more ripped off on Android with all the malware and other shady apps. Sick of posts like this that's why I joined here, to not have to put up with WP bash posts.

I understand you have an extreme dislike for the iphone, but when you refer to iphone users as sheep in a way to discredit the iphone as being a good device, it makes it a bit hard to take your comments in favor of WP as being anything but biased. WP is nice, but it's not for everyone, just as iOS isn't for everyone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand you have an extreme dislike for the iphone, but when you refer to iphone users as sheep in a way to discredit the iphone as being a good device, it makes it a bit hard to take your comments in favor of WP as being anything but biased. WP is nice, but it's not for everyone, just as iOS isn't for everyone.
Very well put my friend. And no name-calling to boot! Extra milk and cookies for you! I wish we could all have civilized discussions like this. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

If someone realizes that a phone isn't for them they should just return it and get something else rather than complaining like crazy on forums and constantly threaten to leave, especially over minor things. When I had my shift I didn't complain about it constantly all over android central and threaten constantly to go somewhere else, I just left. That's my problem with posts like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12