Still loving your Windows Phone???

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not loving mine anymore, but I still enjoy it. I did play with a Galaxy Nexus at a Verizon store this week and I have to admit I was impressed. Android has come a long way since my motorola droid. This sure is a great time to be a smart phone user. Windows 8 is around the corner, android is nice running ice cream sandwich and the next iphone isn't too far away. Definitely a winning situation for all of us.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
loving mine and not looking back.

Simple interface
No need to root
No ugly screen
No malware apps
No bloated apps

with WP8, i know this will only get better with my Windows 8 tablet!!!!!!

troykm

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys new to the forum and windows phone.

i have an Australian perspective. I switched from my iPhone to the Lumia 800 (900 not available here) and I'm loving it. i admit i got hung up in the whole not enough apps crap but once i actually thought about what i use most on my iPhone i realised i was only using about 5 apps regularly and 2 of those (Facebook, twitter) are built right in. love it. and the other apps are in the marketplace so no issue.

i have never liked android. i have tried it twice, once with the htc desire and more recently the galaxy SII and i think android is still just a cheap copy of iOS. and when i think about what i want on my smart phone, the REAL needs i have, android just does not cut it. there is so much focus on android being able to do this and that bla bla bla. i don't need all that garbage. in Australia the carriers really push android because they can install their own bloatware on the phones which as you know they can't do with WP7 or iOS.

funny..... with every manufacturer adding their own UI over android and carriers adding their own crap, does anyone actually own an android phone? think about it. lol

any way i love my Lumia 800, really enjoying WP7 and can't wait to see what Microsoft has in store for the future

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
in Australia the carriers really push android because they can install their own bloatware on the phones which as you know they can't do with WP7 or iOS.

Lol do they push Android? Because when I visited last year, my cousin and all his friends had iPhones, except for maybe one person.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lol do they push Android? Because when I visited last year, my cousin and all his friends had iPhones, except for maybe one person.
Read much? I think he mentioned he was coming from an iPhone and he asks if anyone actually owns an Android. It makes sense that carriers would try to push Androids if they're virtually non-existent. I find it odd that there would be so few in Australia if Android is reportedly the most ubiquitous OS worldwide.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm using my Optimus 7 since September 2011 and I love my Windows Phone.

It's weird, but the only thing that gets me down are the constant waves of unfair negative articles about Windows Phone, and all the trolls doing their thing on the forums.

I'm with you on that.

I love Windows Phone too, but the recent wave of biased, negative reviews and some of the trollish or negative stuff on the forums can be a bit go a drag.

All that aside, I really love my phone (Lumia 900) and I'm excited to see what the future holds for Windows Phone.

I'm really grateful to Microsoft for doing such a great job on WP, but especially for doing their own thing with a completely original take on the UI. That, I think is was made WP such an appealing 3rd choice for me. The icon grid thing has been done to death. With Windows Phone, I get choices of different hardware, like Android and I get a clean, cohesive UI and high standards for app quality and safety like iOS. I also get something else neither of them offer, an intuitive UI that does more than just serve up bunches of app icons, but actually gives me lots of different ways to interact with my information and to communicate with people, all inside the OS, without needing a bunch of disparate apps for each function.

I truly believe Windows Phone is just now coming into it's own and when more people get a look at it, a chance to play around with it and see what it can do, there will be a slow but steady growth in players on our team.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you on that.

I love Windows Phone too, but the recent wave of biased, negative reviews and some of the trollish or negative stuff on the forums can be a bit go a drag.

All that aside, I really love my phone (Lumia 900) and I'm excited to see what the future holds for Windows Phone.

I'm really grateful to Microsoft for doing such a great job on WP, but especially for doing their own thing with a completely original take on the UI. That, I think is was made WP such an appealing 3rd choice for me. The icon grid thing has been done to death. With Windows Phone, I get choices of different hardware, like Android and I get a clean, cohesive UI and high standards for app quality and safety like iOS. I also get something else neither of them offer, an intuitive UI that does more than just serve up bunches of app icons, but actually gives me lots of different ways to interact with my information and to communicate with people, all inside the OS, without needing a bunch of disparate apps for each function.

I truly believe Windows Phone is just now coming into it's own and when more people get a look at it, a chance to play around with it and see what it can do, there will be a slow but steady growth in players on our team.
You ain't kidding. There is so much hate and haters on these boards that it's hard to navigate through posts without having to filter through ridiculous posts. You're spot on regarding the OS coming into its own now but the word has to get out. Too many people gawk at my phone and ask "wow, what phone is that?" Glad at least for Nokia's ad campaign. :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I can't quite figure out why people come here to complain...

I had an LG Android phone before this which was... problematic. I didn't go to LG forums or Android forums and vomit my frustrations all over them. I did research to try to fix the issues. I tried dealing with LG and my carrier for solutions. Unfortunately LG is nowhere near as responsible as Nokia when it comes to actually supporting their own products and I got nowhere. No software updates. No fixes. No apologies. Nothing.

In the end, I decided Android in general (and certainly LG) were not for me. But nowhere along the line did I feel compelled to go and crap all over some Android forum. Nor did I think I would be "helping" LG or Google to improve things by griping and moaning all over some Internet message board.

It's one thing if you have a question or need some advice, but just to vent frustrations... eh.. I don't get it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Read much? I think he mentioned he was coming from an iPhone and he asks if anyone actually owns an Android. It makes sense that carriers would try to push Androids if they're virtually non-existent. I find it odd that there would be so few in Australia if Android is reportedly the most ubiquitous OS worldwide.

Well sorry for misunderstanding. when I first read it I thought it was an actual question about whether many people own an Android here in he US.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I can't quite figure out why people come here to complain...

I had an LG Android phone before this which was... problematic. I didn't go to LG forums or Android forums and vomit my frustrations all over them. I did research to try to fix the issues. I tried dealing with LG and my carrier for solutions. Unfortunately LG is nowhere near as responsible as Nokia when it comes to actually supporting their own products and I got nowhere. No software updates. No fixes. No apologies. Nothing.

In the end, I decided Android in general (and certainly LG) were not for me. But nowhere along the line did I feel compelled to go and crap all over some Android forum. Nor did I think I would be "helping" LG or Google to improve things by griping and moaning all over some Internet message board.

It's one thing if you have a question or need some advice, but just to vent frustrations... eh.. I don't get it.
Ever since November of 2008 this country, as a whole, has become very divided in the sense that a lot of people have adopted the mantra of "either you're with us or against us". I hate to interject politics but I'm older than your average tech junkie and I've seen and experienced quite a lot in my almost 50 years. Almost. Young people have this sense of entitlement that just blows my mind and start belly-aching about anything if they don't get their just rewards. I blame the parents mostly but the media has their hands very dirty as well. Anywho, I try to resolve problems on my own as you do and sometimes I have to share my experiences so that others won't follow in my path. By doing this I seem to encourage the haters out of the woodwork who have to chime in with dumbass comments like "Yeah, Samsung sucks" or "iPhone is so much better" instead of posting a solution. It seems it's easier and requires less energy to bash than to help. Oh well, that's the end of my rant; where's my Grape Nuts and prune juice?

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Um...yea this isn't the topic of the thread. Posts like these kill the mood and ruin the community, this is one of the first positive threads I seen on this site besides all the doom and gloom ones. Anyway I can't imagine myself on any other OS other than WP and picking up my moms android or my sisters iPod touch reminds me of this.

Actually this is exactly the topic of the thread. The title is asking if you still love your WP. He said he is thinking of switching to android. What's wrong with that?

As for me, I gave windows phone a go and I really enjoyed it. There were just a few things missing for me so I switched back to android. I am waiting to see what happens with apollo. I really hope WP takes off and fills in some of the gaps in the OS.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

anotherhawkeye

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving it. I'm an early adapter - I had smartphones before iphone and I had android before it was known as droid. Now I have WP. I'm in the fore front of technologies people and I pronounce WP a future winner.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I make no bones about how much I enjoy my Focus S and WP in general. The OS is not as mature as Android and iOS, and it is easy to find some things that those users have that they do not want to give up. But, I like to point out:

Was Cupcake as good as ICS is on Android?

Was the the OS on the 2nd iPhone as smooth as what it is on the 4/4S?

The answers, of course, are both no. Just check out how much farther WP 7.5 is than the 2nd year of Android or iOS were. Microsoft took all the lesons they learned from Windows Mobile (mostly bad. My Samsung Blackjack was such a bad experience I went back to feature phones for a bit) and started over. They looked at what people really wanted to use their smartphones for - social media, entertainment, and business use. They focused on social media first, and are working on the other two. What they have done with WP they have done well.

I am expecting great things with Apollo. This should be the OS they have been working to for 3 years. I cannot imagine going to Android or Apple unless they really, really disappoint with features or support. And if the jumps from the launch version of WP7 to the Nodo upgrade, and than the jump to Mango are any indications, it will be a great time to be a Metro UI owner!!!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I love the fact that is just works. I don't have to constantly change it in order to re-respect it. If I need it, it's there. If I need info or directions, BOOM, I got it. Restaurants, movie times, quick internet on the go, done. Listen to music, I got it. Snap a quick photo, BOOM, got that too. Its consistently superior every time.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I converted several months ago from webOS and I can't get over how smooth and intuitive this OS is. Windows Phone got such a bad rap because it conjures up images of Windows Mobile and people don't realize the difference is like Windows 7 and Windows Millenium Edition (whew, what a nightmare that was). It's good that Nokia is doing the media blitz they are because the word is getting out. Don't let the haters get under your skin, they are like having the crabs. The more you scratch your nuts, the happier they get. :D

Love the crotch crickets reference!!!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Australia has a ridiculous amount of iPhones (anecdotal, I'm from Melbourne just like troykm). I took a glance around the train the other day, and every single device I looked at was either an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Android is pushed, the Galaxy S II was a pretty big winner (and it's now selling discounted). Android seems to be gaining adoption particularly among younger crowds - many models are more cost-effective and there's even a view from some that iPhones are too simplistic.

Telstra (largest carrier here) is pushing the Lumia, it seems - I visited a local store and they have the white 800 on a dedicated booth, like the 4S.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Look guys, I'm not trying to ruin the topic. I was just answering the question.

The thing is that I have a Lg Optimus 7, a phone that has average camera, no front facing camera, plain LCD 3.8 screen and a small battery (great for nodo but not made with mango in mind). I'm stuck with this phone until next year and I don't mind but I'm not sure if it's going to get the next update.

Mango lacks a lot of features, my phone is plain 3g, the third party apps are terrible and expensive, there's no real turn by turn unless I have a Nokia phone.

MY optimus screen is freezing so I can use everything but the screen. I need to get a replacement soon and its going to be either a Galaxy 2 or an iPhone 4. Maybe I'll be part of windows again when my contract ran out next year and Apollo devices will be plenty but I just want to use Pandora like normal people.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
My HTC Radar is for sale on eBay. That's not because I dislike the WP platform. I think it's pretty good, and has a lot of potential. I bought it and used it for a few months to give it a fair trial. I'd recommend WP, and the Radar in particular, to a lot of people, but it had a few shortcomings that were problematic for me, specifically. These things come down to individual priorities. Things that are obstacles for me may be irrelevant to someone else.

Case in point: The inability to set a default font size in the browser and then zoom and reflow text. For me, an eyeglass-wearing 58 year-old, this severely limits the usefulness of the browser. Turning the device to landscape orientation helps sometimes, but not always. So as a general thing, if I needed to do any significant amount of reading of text on web sites, I'd use my BB. And yes, I know that the iPhone doesn't have this feature either. That's one reason why I don't have an iPhone.

As I say, I think WP has great potential, and I may return to it. But at this time, it doesn't make financial sense for me to have a phone that I'm mostly using to play Wordament, and doing most everything else on my BB 9900.

It's not about love or hate; it's about finding what works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon