Still loving your Windows Phone???

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how two people can look at the same thing and come away with different impressions. I feel that WP7 is first, and foremost, an enterprise device that has had a massive infusion of social media integration to appeal to the consumer crowd. I missed Windows Mobile because of Office 2010. I didn't miss the negatives (and there were enough to fill a stadium) after Mango came along. Think about it, press one tile and you have access to Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Adobe PDF, SkyDrive, Office 365 and Sharepoint! How many 3rd party apps would you have to download to get all that on any other platform. Even if you could, would they all work cohesively together? Unless you had webOS's multi-tasking ability would you be able to switch between the different apps?

Many of the complaints I see on these boards center around cameras and Skype functions and things of that nature. Not too many discussing the functions listed above, which strengthen my belief that the consumer crowd is getting the majority of the attention as the OS develops. WP7 is highly regarded as a secure platform and if they can get FIPS certification, I see no reason to continue on the Blackberry OS unless some old fuddy-duddy like myself insists on hardware keyboards (my DVP will go into the pine box with me). iOS, nice toys. I use a 4S at work because the company supplies them. To me, they're as useless as tits on a bull and I only use it as a phone. That's not a bash at Apple because my desktop at home is a very old eMac that I swear by.

We all have to work very hard to buy the things we need. We work even harder to get the things we want. If Johnny buys an Android phone, more power to him. If Jimmy gets the shiniest new iPhone, so be it. I prefer WP7 and I'm lovin' it, don't beat me up over it or I'll have to come over to your house and recite Ezekiel 25:17. :)
I use the living crud out of the Office Hub. It is a wonderful thing. I am really excited to see the upgrades and integrations there will be to it on WP8. Microsoft is touting "better professional tools" in a lot of their teaser adds and developers pages. I truly believe MS wants to own the Tablet market more than they are actually worried about the cell phone market. Just my opinion due to it's growth potential and the fact it is a natural extension of the PC/laptop market. Last year during their Windows 8 introduction party they pushed the Tablet angle way more then any other aspect. The use of all the Office software is still their best selling point. It is a solid plan- get consumers on their tablets, integrate those tablets seamlessly into their laptops and PCs, and hope that these consumers start choosing Windows Phones as well to complete the ecosystem instead of having to port everything to their iPhones, Androids, or BB's.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a magical HD7, then slacker radio will run as laggy as it does with me. You don't use the Facebook app but you feel like should give an opinion anyway? The app is terrible, I have the website pinned down instead.

I care about the other apps, If I didn't. I would had some 7bucks flip Samsung and be done with it. Call anyone isheep all you want but the phone is popular for a reason, it offers the most for the buck.

I ain't getting a Titan nor going to at&t. I'll get a GS2, iPhone 4 or even a N9. Anything but Windows Phone. I feel rip off.
Winterfang, sorry WP doesn't seem to be for you. I have never read anything you have posted which wasn't level headed. I will spot you this and just be blunt: Most WP critics are heavy App users. This is not an area MS has ignored, and they have been working at a fever's pitch to improve it. But it is still the huge pink elephant hiding behind the folding chair in the back of the room. If the app experience does not improve to be equal to Android and iOS, than third place is the best WP will ever be.

I am not a huge app user, and I love WP and do not want an iOS or Android. You are a huge app user (or seem to be) and WP is probably going to lose you. Not a hard area to troubleshoot.....

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Long story short, some moderator at XDA with a Napoleon complex closed the thread because it "went off topic" in his eyes.
XDA is a development & hacking community that is in no way affiliated with Microsoft. There's nothing they can do to bring Bluetooth transfer to your device officially or unofficially, unless you flash a custom ROM with full unlock. Your post wouldn't have achieved anything :/

I have a first-gen device and I don't mind tweaking. I know it's against the whole "Windows Phone works out of the box" mantra, but I'm enjoying advantages like Bluetooth transfer, forced instant resume, custom accent colours, custom search button behaviour, orientation lock and... I'm running Tango!

The saddest part is majority of these are just simple edits (in some case binary) to the registry. It would take literally no effort for Microsoft to add a "force instant resume" tick box to Settings.

even a N9. Anything but Windows Phone. I feel rip off.
You're welcome to express your discontent with the platform - heck, if I could choose any device on the market it would be the One X. Android is at the next hardware cycle while iOS and Windows Phone are still on the last (though in terms of raw processing power, the 4S does measure up while Windows Phone sinks further).

But have you tried the N9? If you haven't, it's kind of funny that you'd be moving away from Windows Phone to another untried platform based purely on... probably what got you on Windows Phone in the first place. My experience with the N9 in carrier stores has been nothing but negative on the software side - the two units I tried were lagging terribly from running too many apps at once, and I couldn't figure out how to close an app. Having all four edge swipes lead to the home screen is redundant. Etc, etc.

Last edited:

russshoe

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I sure am!! Sometimes I just turn it on to scroll up and down my tiles, seeing what flips, seeing who it choses to display on my peoples hub, little things like that. I especially find myself enjoying my phone even more when I pick up someone else's android or iphone. It just seems so much funner being a windows phone user, I couldnt imagine switching. Case in point, my coworker really liked my phone(samsung focus s) and since he was jumping from verizon to tmobile, he was planning on getting the Lumia 710 but ended up grabbing an HTC Amaze due to the camera. When I came into work, he handed me his phone to show it off and play with it. My lord, it was IMO very basic, was much harder to navigate, and he asked me to help him with a few tasks and it felt like i as pulling teeth to accomplish them. I did think the overall design was nice, the cam did look very robust, but all it really did is make me love my phone even more. Does anyone else feel this way?

I feel so passionate about WIndows Phone because it feels like it really is just an extension of ME. Not some tool or device, but an actual part of me that works in unison with what i want, not the other way around. Ive converted four people to the windows phone cause and whats truly amazing is that they end up feeling exactly how I do, like "where have you been all my life" kind of feelings LOL.

Ive been rocking my Focus S for over 6 months now and instead of losing its luster or becoming stale, I just find it even more appealing and more enjoyable each passing day. Im proud to say I ventured out from the pack and tried something new. I havent looked back since and I feel WIndows Phone has a very bright future. How do you feel about your windows phone????
I love my Windows phone I am just sorry I am with AT&T

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Winterfang, sorry WP doesn't seem to be for you. I have never read anything you have posted which wasn't level headed. I will spot you this and just be blunt: Most WP critics are heavy App users. This is not an area MS has ignored, and they have been working at a fever's pitch to improve it. But it is still the huge pink elephant hiding behind the folding chair in the back of the room. If the app experience does not improve to be equal to Android and iOS, than third place is the best WP will ever be.

I am not a huge app user, and I love WP and do not want an iOS or Android. You are a huge app user (or seem to be) and WP is probably going to lose you. Not a hard area to troubleshoot.....

It's not just the apps. I like the OS, I like the me tile, the simplicity of not having to scroll several pages to the right and to the left, its just easy and play fun to use.

I dislike everything else, the expensive apps, the lack of customization, the average phones, The feeling that developers, carriers and phone companies treat you as an afterthought. I mean I could buy another WP phone right now but not knowing if I'm going to get the Apollo update is a to night of a gamble.

Maybe in the next year when my contract ran out of Apollo phones are nice and plenty I'll buy a new one and have a blast. As for now? I don't know, the name calling doesn't help either, as the thing that made me dislike google the most is the fanboys.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
XDA is a development & hacking community that is in no way affiliated with Microsoft. There's nothing they can do to bring Bluetooth transfer to your device officially or unofficially, unless you flash a custom ROM with full unlock. Your post wouldn't have achieved anything :/

I have a first-gen device and I don't mind tweaking. I know it's against the whole "Windows Phone works out of the box" mantra, but I'm enjoying advantages like Bluetooth transfer, forced instant resume, custom accent colours, custom search button behaviour, orientation lock and... I'm running Tango!

The saddest part is majority of these are just simple edits (in some case binary) to the registry. It would take literally no effort for Microsoft to add a "force instant resume" tick box to Settings.

You're welcome to express your discontent with the platform - heck, if I could choose any device on the market it would be the One X. Android is at the next hardware cycle while iOS and Windows Phone are still on the last (though in terms of raw processing power, the 4S does measure up while Windows Phone sinks further).

But have you tried the N9? If you haven't, it's kind of funny that you'd be moving away from Windows Phone to another untried platform based purely on... probably what got you on Windows Phone in the first place. My experience with the N9 in carrier stores has been nothing but negative on the software side - the two units I tried were lagging terribly from running too many apps at once, and I couldn't figure out how to close an app. Having all four edge swipes lead to the home screen is redundant. Etc, etc.
Not to go off topic but I wanted to respond to your comment about XDA. I know they're not affiliated with MS and I know that reg edits are sometimes the key to having some functions "turned on". At least it was with Windows Mobile. That was my reasoning for the thread, I was seeking info from "experts" thinking along those lines. I was WRONG!! Haters came out of the woodwork and Tarzan came in swinging off his vine to shut it down.

Frenzytom

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I went from my Trophy (#1) to the iPhone, Trophy (#2) to Android and now back to Trophy (#3). Let's say I am a sucker for tech pain and/or the fact that I love WP + can't ever leave Verizon. :)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I changed my background color to white and the theme to purple. Now all is right with my WP word!

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes. But I have not found any wp7 phone better for my use than my old focus. So all I have left in wp land is an old focus. :(

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. But I have not found any wp7 phone better for my use than my old focus. So all I have left in wp land is an old focus. :(

What's wrong with that? If it suits your needs, why spend money on a new device that may or may not be any better for you. Let the Jones's piss their money away.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
It's not just the apps. I like the OS, I like the me tile, the simplicity of not having to scroll several pages to the right and to the left, its just easy and play fun to use.

I dislike everything else, the expensive apps, the lack of customization, the average phones, The feeling that developers, carriers and phone companies treat you as an afterthought. I mean I could buy another WP phone right now but not knowing if I'm going to get the Apollo update is a to night of a gamble.

Maybe in the next year when my contract ran out of Apollo phones are nice and plenty I'll buy a new one and have a blast. As for now? I don't know, the name calling doesn't help either, as the thing that made me dislike google the most is the fanboys.
Apps cost no different than on other platforms and there's also free versions available. Going to Android isn't the answer as that environment is royally F'ed.

but yet you post from a One X.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on tmobile. Im talking about basic features like Bluetooth file transfer and turn by turn navigation. The apps are really bad and they don't seem to be getting close to their android/ios counterpart.

I hear you about bluetooth file transfer. I'm sure it's coming though. I would not call that a basic feature however. I am probably only one of two people I know who would ever bother to use a feature like that. As far as turn by turn navigation, I have Nokia Drive which is better than any nav I've seen on any other phone.

Look at the Facebook app, is just awful. Slacker radio is the laggiest application I've seeing on my life, Angry Birds lacks like a million levels, Fruit Ninja runs very choppy and is missing the pomegranate. Those games are much more expensive and much much worse, for no reason at all.

I don't use the Facebook app. I find the People Hub Facebook features more than adequate and a lot nice to look at than FB's ugly blue and white scheme. If they add just a few more missing features, I doubt I would ever install the Facebook app. For what it's worth though, I hear a very nice update for the Facebook app is coming. I have to admit, I don't spend a lot of time gaming on the phone. I have never found a game on any phone that I like as much as Nintendo DS and 3DS games. I play a bit of bejeweled. I have Fruit Ninja but I lost interest in it after less than 2 hours of total playing time. Angry Birds I haven't tried yet. I've never used Slacker radio either. I use the built-in FM radio and listen to podcasts.

I've being with windows phone before we even had copy and paste but I'm kind of tired of being the guy with the phone that lacks all the apps. Where's temple run, asphalt, instangram? Are we going to get a much much worse version next year when they won't be relevant?

You've been with the platform this long, hang in there. I think it's pretty clear that big things are coming very soon with Apollo and Windows 8 looming over the horizon.

I didn't bought my phone as a budget device, I paid 199.99. I could had bought a iphone 4G with that money. A phone with an Os that doesn't make me feel ashamed of myself.

If your phone OS makes you feel ashamed of yourself, you've got bigger problems than any of us can help you with I'm afraid. You might want to try some positive affirmations in the mirror in the morning, while holding your phone. Or just buy an iPhone so you can sit at the cool kids tablet in the lunchroom I guess. :straight:

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Apps cost no different than on other platforms and there's also free versions available. Going to Android isn't the answer as that environment is royally F'ed.

Yes apps on WP are definitely more expensive on average. Especially games. There are also a lot fewer free apps on WP.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Apps cost no different than on other platforms and there's also free versions available.

That's not true. There are a lot of apps (games especially) that cost more on WP7 than on iOS or Android. It's been discussed before, and the general cop-out has remained "it's worth more cause you get XBL achievements, etc." disregarding the fact that you get GameCenter Achievements on iOS yet the games are in some cases 1/3rd the price compared to WP7.

Also a lot of free versions aren't available on WP7. For example the The Sims has a FreePlay version on iOS and Android but it's missing in the WP7 marketplace.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I had an experience today that made me realize how much I love my WP.

A friend of mine got a new iPhone and she sent out one of those email blasts to her entire address book that we've all received before where they say something like: "Just got a new phone. Please text/call me with your phone number so I can add you to my phone's address book."

With Windows Phone, I love that all you have to do is sign in to your FB account, and all that info automatically populates. Huge win!

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
the intense hatred of android in these forums is laughable...

People owned the cheapest android phones with 500mhz processors then complain that android is slow.

Ics is amazing, most of the comments against android are blatantly people who have never used it spouting "I heard this" rumors and bs.

Until I can control seperate ringtones at the very freakin least, I'll never come back to wp7.

Sorry but style is not better than substance imo.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
the intense hatred of android in these forums is laughable...

People owned the cheapest android phones with 500mhz processors then complain that android is slow.

Ics is amazing, most of the comments against android are blatantly people who have never used it spouting "I heard this" rumors and bs.

Until I can control seperate ringtones at the very freakin least, I'll never come back to wp7.

Sorry but style is not better than substance imo.

You don't like seeing the hatred of android then you are more than welcome to go somewhere else. We can say whatever we want about other OSes here on WPCentral. I'm sure the boys at android central got plenty negative things to say about WP but I'm not there to see it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99