Still loving your Windows Phone???

Armeniandave

May 2, 2012
Visit site
So I have used the Samsung Focus S for about a month now, I got it through the
Microsoft challenge. I came from an iPhone 4S for reference.

So far I enjoyed most of what the Windows Phone 7.5 has to offer. I realy enjoy the email view as well as the messaging. Screen is better than the iPhone IMO and the Amoled is also nice especially with the blacks.

There are a few things that have me trying my iPhone again for a few days to decide which one I want to keep. First is the camera. I use the camera alot! The Focus S has a nice camera but I get better pictures with the iPhone. However the Focus has a much more robust software package to complement it's camera. Second is iMessage. All my friends and family have iPhones and therefor imessage. We use it alot and it's convienent. I did try whatsapp but it was just ok and pretty slow to startup. The last is the app selection. I don't need 600,000 apps so thats not what I'm complaining about. It's the simple ones like pandora and slacker radio that I'm talking about. Pandora doesn't have a native app and all 3rd party apps don't work now. Slacker didn't work all the time and would often freeze on the loading screen.

That is my experience on the windows phone platform. A fantastic start but still some work to be done. I will say that I tried Android a while back and that only lasted 3 days! So Windows phone IMO is definitely nicer. I really believe we need as much competition to drive creativity so I really hope Windows Phone succeeds.

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes apps on WP are definitely more expensive on average. Especially games. There are also a lot fewer free apps on WP.
Of course they are, they are new to the platform so they should be priced as NEW. Example, Grand Theft Auto Vice City for xbox came out well after its release on PS2. When it was 20 bucks on PS2, it was 60 bucks on Xbox. Call it what you will but its perfectly fair to charge new game prioces for a NEW gaame to a platform. And believe me, I was happy to pay the 60 for the xbox version...because I LOVE playing games on my xbox over a ps2(controller, graphics, etc) and thats exactly the same feeling I have with apps. I might pay a lil more but Im playing/using the app on my WINDOWS PHONE, and thats far better than getting it for free on an android that I dont like using for every other task. I cant live without the me tile...

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
the intense hatred of android in these forums is laughable...

People owned the cheapest android phones with 500mhz processors then complain that android is slow.

Ics is amazing, most of the comments against android are blatantly people who have never used it spouting "I heard this" rumors and bs.

Until I can control seperate ringtones at the very freakin least, I'll never come back to wp7.

Sorry but style is not better than substance imo.
Im sorry but thats not the case. Ive played with an HTC amaze 4g and the Droid Bionic among other devices and still, they are far more laggy and generally slow in responses compared to my Focus S. Ive done a few smoked by windows phone challenges against my brother's Bionic and I won everytime. ICS might be amazing, your right, but its still not the metro UI and its definatley not the same user experience, and thats what sets Windows Phone apart. Its different...and if thats not what your looking for, enjoy your android. But with my experience, even on higher end models, android is extrememly frustrating and laggy, and Id take windows phone any day of the week, even over whatever quad core 3 mhz model they come up with...thats the problem with android, you need that horsepower and then when they upgrade the OS next year, its still not enough to run it right so here you are, back to the store for a new phone...definaltey not the cycle I want to get into...not one bit..

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you serious? The first two pages barely had any comments that one could say were even trashing Android or Android users. Then that djdtox guy comes in and basically stirs **** up and now you're defending that?

If so, you're an idiot.

Anyways, back on topic. Half loving my phone at this point. Loving it for the OS but starting to feel the need to switch up hardware; specifically screen size.
What wp device do you have?

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I have used the Samsung Focus S for about a month now, I got it through the
Microsoft challenge. I came from an iPhone 4S for reference.

So far I enjoyed most of what the Windows Phone 7.5 has to offer. I realy enjoy the email view as well as the messaging. Screen is better than the iPhone IMO and the Amoled is also nice especially with the blacks.

There are a few things that have me trying my iPhone again for a few days to decide which one I want to keep. First is the camera. I use the camera alot! The Focus S has a nice camera but I get better pictures with the iPhone. However the Focus has a much more robust software package to complement it's camera. Second is iMessage. All my friends and family have iPhones and therefor imessage. We use it alot and it's convienent. I did try whatsapp but it was just ok and pretty slow to startup. The last is the app selection. I don't need 600,000 apps so thats not what I'm complaining about. It's the simple ones like pandora and slacker radio that I'm talking about. Pandora doesn't have a native app and all 3rd party apps don't work now. Slacker didn't work all the time and would often freeze on the loading screen.

That is my experience on the windows phone platform. A fantastic start but still some work to be done. I will say that I tried Android a while back and that only lasted 3 days! So Windows phone IMO is definitely nicer. I really believe we need as much competition to drive creativity so I really hope Windows Phone succeeds.
When you use your camera, do you tap the screen to take pics or do you use the physical button? I used to always use the physical button and pics were kinda a mixed bag. But ever since i stated tapping the screen, I find my pictures to be quite fantastic! Very sharp and detailed and typically, the auto focus is always dead on. Night pics leave some to be desired but if you play with some of the settings, you might be pleasently suprised by the results.

About imessage, I hear ya, at one point, all my friends had blackberries so they were all about BBM and i felt left out...but there are so many ways to stay connected to my friends(fb, twitter, text, messenger) that in reality, I didnt miss it after all. What do you think about the people hub? Man, I never thought i would be so connected to my friends and family until I got a windows phone. Its one of the main reasons Id never leave the platform.

How have you liked going from the 3.5 to the 4.3 screen? I had a 3.4 screen on my KIN(yup, the original MS iphone competitor lol) and I never thought the screen size was too small but now, I just love the extra real estate. watching movies is awesome, typing is never cramped, and the super amoled plus display just KILLS!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

What do you think? I swapped my Lumia 900 for a Titan II and I couldn't be happier. The L900 is the best most popular Windows Phone ever and it should be. That said the Titan II is what I want. I have had all these devices:

PPC6600/PPC6700/700wx/Moto Q/PPC6700/Mogul/Touch/Mogul/700wx/800w/Touch Pro/BlackBerry Curve 8330/Hero/EVO/EVO Shift/Arrive/DVP/HD7S/Samsung Focus S/Titan/Lumia 800/Lumia 900/Titan II

If experience counts I've got some and Windows Phone is the best... THE BEST... For me :D

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

What do you think? I swapped my Lumia 900 for a Titan II and I couldn't be happier. The L900 is the best most popular Windows Phone ever and it should be. That said the Titan II is what I want. I have had all these devices:

PPC6600/PPC6700/700wx/Moto Q/PPC6700/Mogul/Touch/Mogul/700wx/800w/Touch Pro/BlackBerry Curve 8330/Hero/EVO/EVO Shift/Arrive/DVP/HD7S/Samsung Focus S/Titan/Lumia 800/Lumia 900/Titan II

If experience counts I've got some and Windows Phone is the best... THE BEST... For me :D

Wow! You've tied up some money in phones! I hope something like the Titan II comes to Verizon. I love the look of the cyan Lumia, but the Titan camera is nice.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I own a skyrocket and NEVER once had to use a task killer....

This right here shows you have zero idea as to how android works.

I doubt you've ever even used a high end android.

I have not had any issues ever, and since getting ics, my phone is better than ever.

These arguments are ridiculous. People have no understanding of something but hate away.

This is the only forum I've ever seen so much hatred or disinformation.

I agree 100% that you don't need a task killer, at least not on any version of Android after Froyo. Android does a pretty good job of managing background tasks on it's own and monkeying around with killing tasks at random is more likely to make the phone run worse, not better.

It's a misconception, just because task killers were more necessary, or at least useful on early versions of Android and a lot of people still use them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos