06-07-2012 12:02 AM
99 1234
tools
    Was rocking a feature phone until 2011 when I got my windows phone. Prior to that I was waiting out the market to see where Apple and Google would take their mobile OSes. When MS said they were in the game again and started demoing bits of WP around '09-'10 I just felt that it worked perfect for me and my lifestyle.

They brought up relevant points and it was a far departure from a grid of icons that I always found awful and cluttered to look at ever since the Palm OS devices. More importantly, I knew myself and what I wanted and they were looking to deliver that: simple and functional information without having to mess around my phone all the time, everywhere because of some co-dependency to the Internet (no offense to those out there :P ).
    05-07-2012 07:12 PM
    A whole list of things, but there were 4 in particular

1. The beauty and efficiency of Metro.
    2. Buggy iTunes on Windows. Literally for 3 months I couldn't sync my phone because iTunes would freeze 10 seconds after launching.
    3. The Titan. I couldn't bear to face a 3.5" phone for another 2-3 years. I think the smallest I can go from here would be 4.3".
    4. Windows 8. It looks amazing, and I anticipated that WP would tie in with it extremely well.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-08-2012 12:27 AM
    The honest truth....my friend just got out jail and needed a phone, but couldn't pay a deposit. So I added a line for him, I took the Lumia 900 and gave him my old BlackBerry 9900. :)
    :lol: That just sounds funny, since I am an ex-BlackBerry user. I can picture someone saying, "I'd rather be in jail than use a BlackBerry."

Another good one would be, "Counting the days till parole is faster than rebooting a BlackBerry."
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-08-2012 12:31 AM
    I had wanted an iphone since Apple announced they were going into the smart phone market. I loved the idea of being able to combine my iPod and cell phone into a single device. Unfortunately I felt that each version was lacking what I felt I needed so I kept waiting the next version to come out hoping it was acceptable to my needs. In the meantime I rocked a Samsung Eternity, a feature phone that I loved.

About a year ago I was in a meeting with about 15 people. When we needed to check our schedules everyone pulled out their iphones, androids and blackberries and I was the only one sitting there with a real calendar so I figured it was time for me to join the modern age. My wife and son had just got first gen window 7 phones and I thought they were pretty cool so I started doing some research on them.

Rumors of iphone 5 were coming out every day and I had also heard that windows was coming out with Mango so I decided that at the end of the year I would get either an iphone 5 or a Focus S. As we all know Apple released the 4S with no 5 in sight so I got the Focus S and have never regretted my decision.
    jbjtkbw007 likes this.
    05-08-2012 03:56 AM
    Windows stayed my FAV OS and when I herd about WP (3-4 years ago ) I couldn't wait to have it ( even before we knew what feature it was gona have ) think it was called PROJECT PINK? or something?
    Project Pink was the KIN. :]

Joe Belfiore.
    More specifically, his hair.
    05-08-2012 03:56 AM
    My first smartphone was the motorola droid. At first I loved it. I rooted it and put custom roms on it. Eventually it started running horribly. I went from rom to rom, with some working adequately, but none of them being particularly impressive as far as functionality. When the iphone 4 came to Verizon I got it for my wife mainly because of the problems with my droid because I knew she wouldn't be happy dealing with an inconsistent phone. It didn't take long to figure out the iphone is really nice. When it was time for my upgrade I was planning on getting an iphone, but I wanted to wait for the new one. I played with all of the android phones Verizon had, but none of them really did anything for me. I saw the Trophy and started reading reviews and watching videos about WP. After playing with it in the store a couple of times and watching probably every video out there, I made the jump. I figured if I didn't like it I would return it and wait for the next iphone. Well now it's close to a year later and I'm still satisfied with my Trophy.
    05-08-2012 08:08 AM
    If I did, it would be because of the retro UI (elegant OS) and the gorgeous hardware (Lumia 800/900).
    05-08-2012 10:38 AM
    UI, its smooth and systematic

Sent from my Radar C110e using Board Express
    05-08-2012 10:52 AM
    Beautiful Simplicity! More elegant than iPhone and just as efficient as My BB's

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    05-08-2012 11:45 AM
    I finally converged over from my Motorola Flip Phone and Dell Axim x51v to a HTC TouchPro2 and used it for about 1 1/2 years until it stopped working. For no real reason, the phone just stopped. Looked brand new even. After going through 4 other repalcement(refurbed) units that also had screen issues, GPS not working, Microphone not working.

they gave me a new Arrive as a replacement and I've been using it since.
    05-08-2012 01:55 PM
    Simple, the UI.
    05-08-2012 02:52 PM
    The UI. And the visual appeal of the apps. Its what has kept me here as well. With the camera issues on the lumia 900, I struggled with whether or not to jump over to android and the one x. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Having to face the basic garbage level visual quality of android apps was something I couldn't imagine facing on a daily basis. Sure there are deficiencies, but MS has nailed so much right, for me, with the OS, that I just can't bring myself to leave, even if it is the "logical" thing to do.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-08-2012 03:09 PM
    I had a htc tytan II on wm and enjoyed tinkering with that which lead me to android. I love android but the updates not coming started to irk me and I started to get bored with it especially since the device I have which is the dell streak isn't that heavily supported by devs and porting to the device is a pain. one day I decided to google windows phone and aftet watching a couple of videos I liked what I saw and it will. be my next phone. I'm just waiting for more details about apollo I am due for an upgrade....if I can wait that long
    05-08-2012 08:57 PM
    I owned a nokia dumbphone, sanyo flip phone and a Samsung flip phone. My first smart phone was a palm pre (loved it) but I saw the writing on the wall for palm and didn't want an iphone or android. At the time I started hearing all this talk about WP. It just seemed like the best option for me and I love it and pushing so hard for it to succeed.
    05-08-2012 09:00 PM
    Always disliked Apple since the first iMac days, and supported Creative during the mp3 wars, so iPhone was a no go for me. I was a Nokia fan too, a 6260 and E63 being the phones that I loved most from the Nokia stable (didn't had the cash to buy the N9x series though)

But enough people around me are using Androids and iPhones that I decided it was time to go from tactile keyboards to touchscreen. My friend had a LG Optimus One lying somewhere, and I borrowed it as a daily driver to see if Android was all it was cracked up to be.

Well, in some ways it impressed me, but having been a hotmail guy mostly (I don't use Google services save for their search), I found the email lacking, and the phone hangs a lot. Of course, my friend's GSII is a lot better in that regard, but having been a mid-range guy for most parts of my life, I couldn't justify spending so much on the GS2, and the other Galaxies were lacking.

Then Nokia announced the L800. And that was the phone I needed. After all, MS services were growing on me and the L800 had everything I needed save for Path and Line by Naver. And my friend had a HD7 running Mango, and Wordament is so addictive. So I jumped in March.

Never looked back since. This phone is amazingly good. Given my insane usage, it has only froze on me twice, and that was when I installed many redundant apps just for fun. Cleared some and it runs smooth. Everyone thought it was a dual core. XD

And now, waiting for Apollo for myself, while getting my dad a L900 when it becomes available in Singapore.
    05-08-2012 09:43 PM
    While I do have the Lumia 710, not with service (long story), basically it's a glorified Zune. The OS: it is fast, uses little resources, efficient way of navigating. The social aspect: no need for additional apps, love the way it all just integrates. Gaming: to some extent I like the gaming features on this phone. Skydrive: in my opinion, it just works a whole lot better than iCloud. I can save whatever file type I want to save to it.

Comparing this phone to my current service activated iPhone 4, the 710 smokes the iPhone. Getting on my iPhone now is like getting on an old antiquated machine. The apps on the iPhone rock, no doubt about it. Used to own the Original Moto Droid, it was great for the first months, after a while the phone became sluggish, reset the phone it worked great, sluggish again, rooted the droid, loaded OS after OS only to be frustrated with the phone. Moved to the BB 9930, while a "nice" phone for business, a boy has to play and this is where that phone lacked, the build quality on this phone is awesome. So in came the iPhone from my roommate, my BB has the ability to have the text enlarged across the board for him, while his iPhone 4 does not, so we traded and now patiently waiting for Big Effing RED to bring us a WP7, yes the Trophy is available, but this late in the game, why? (dude one long run-on sentence)!

I envy those of you guys on AT&T for being able to get the best phones on the market, unfortunately where I live there is no GSM service at all, only VZW. Peace
    05-08-2012 10:03 PM
    I really enjoyed some of those stories. Fun thread!!!

Basically, I was a cheap first- basic flip/feature phone kinda guy. I would buy them second hand when I got bored or destroyed one, and just move on. My wife had a Blackberry curve, and she liked it a lot. I gave a Samsung Blackjack with Win Mo a try. One of the worst few weeks of my life. I went right back to a feature phone.

My wife got a Curve 3G, and offered me her old BB to see if I liked it. To be truthful, I really, really did. A solid but S-L-O-W loading device. But within a few months, the trackball was near useless, and I got a second hand Palm Pre+. Loved it. But again- S-L-O-W.

Nearing end of contract, and we were both ready to upgrade, and I started spending time learning. I found the iPhone to be just overpriced- period, end of story. Great phone, but not worth the money for a fragile, basic UI app launcher. I was really leaning to Androids from HTC, but decided to give WP a shot. My local AT&T store brought out a LG Quantum, and the rest is history. Smooth, bright, fun, and I love being able to set up my tiles as I see fit. Totally seamless, and something new.

We went to a Champaign IL AT&T store- played with the Titan and Focus S, she loved the screen size and camera on the Titan, I went gaga over the screen and quick operation of the "S". Found out that AT&T was putting WP's on sale for a penny after Thanksgiving, and Microsoft was offering 25$ marketplace cards for the same time frame. I still have the online reciept: 12:22 A.M. we were WP owners.

Apollo..... come to Papa......
    Old_Cus likes this.
    05-09-2012 03:52 AM
    First mobile in 1999... Ericsson T10 - solid little flip phone

then a Sony Z5 - plastic body, rubber keys and a crazy jog wheel thing to navigate the menus with.

then a Sharp GX10 - my first colour screen phone, clamshell phone with 2 screens

Panasonic GD67 - Hated this phone, but was stuck on contract with it. Had a clear removable back cover into which you could insert your own pictures, I seem to remember having random bits of newspaper clippings on the back of mine!

Nokia 6600 - liked that you could play ngage games on it, but after a few months use the phone slowed down and kept crashing.

Sony Ericsson K630 - the first phone i broke (a drunken multi story car park stairwell incident,) after a good 8 months usage, replaced with a SE W760. Don't really remember enjoying these phones too much.

Samsung U600 - really liked this phone, it even supported flash in the browser!

Then began my time as an Android user starting with an HTC Tattoo, again had two of those as i left my first one on the roof of my car and drove off, stopped and watch it bounce off my car bonnet and into the road...
    Then ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Europa, the constant slowdowns/freezes/crashes and resets drove me insane so ended up buying an...

HTC Titan upon release in the UK, and it is the best phone I've ever had. Never bought a single app on Android, but now have loads of XBL games and apps I've purchased on WP7. Ive played with other peoples iPhones but it just does not catch my eye. So yeah, a happy WP7 user, but let down by the lack of commitment from HTC. I reckon my next phone will be a Nokia WP8 phone waaaaay down the line next year!
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-09-2012 07:21 AM
    I had maemo/N900 and after Nokia killed maemo, i went looking for a new phone...

2 things, i really don't like the samsung/iphone/lg designs and i also dont like the look of iOS and Android. tried a few droid phones and iPhone and i just didn't like them. I was all set to get a N8/belle when i saw a lonely samsung focus with WP7, tried the WP7 and realised that this is the best option out of the iOS/Adroid/other OSes pack and got myself a HTC HD7.

Sold my HTC the moment i could get my hands on a Lumia 900.

I really believe that the smartphone OS market needs more competition/greater variety and that is another reason i support WP7/webOS
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-09-2012 09:00 AM
    What brought me to Windows Phone?

Short version: too annoyed by Android, reluctant to bite the Apple plus a friend that went from WP to Android and didn't like it. Plus the fact that I could go back to Nokia after a timeout with an HTC. (Nothing against HTC, but Wildfire was just dreadful).

Long version: Was surprised when Nokia announced the Lumia line. Wasn't keen at first, just surprised. Was getting more and more annoyed by my then-phone, wondered why I seem to be the only unhappy user of similar phones (all my colleagues had either HTC or Samsung Android phones). Then found out they sometimes experienced similar issues like me (Dropped calls, random reboots, slowness) and just lived with it. Then decided for myself that to me, a smartphone was supposed to be first and foremost a PHONE before anything else. Couldn't bring myself to go back to dumbphones though, even though they were much more reliable. Checked my contract status in winter, found out that I was eligible for an upgrade in April and decided that this time, I would choose more wisely. So I started reading about smartphones more and more (Reviews, user opinions). This, plus the negatives about my last phone, helped me to create a mental list of must-haves and nice-to-haves. Meanwhile, the Lumia 800 was getting close to being launched in Switzerland - somehow this fact was always at the back ok my mind, so maybe I was keener than I thought :blush:. (What can I say. The Wildfire was the only non-Nokia I've ever owned).

Then I found out: No Audible on WP (It wasn't announced back then). I was so disappointed! I feard that I had to resort to iPhone since I didn't want another Android. I didn't know what to do - Audible is important to me! Then the Lumia 800 was launched, and I went to a shop to try it out anyway (I was curious about WP), also I wanted to try out some other devices. I liked the Lumia in my hand - hard to explain, it was sitting in my hand as if it belonged there. I also tried a Samsung Galaxy S2 (hugely popular around here), but didn't like the feel in my hand. I must admit I did like the iPhone as well - good feel in my hand, good size, also buttery smooth to use.

BUT: Not having any know-how either about iOS or WP, I found, to my surprise, WP much more intuitive. Also, WP looks so clean and tidy. That impressed me and left, so to say, a small, but noticeable WP dent in my brain. I left the shop, silently hoping that until my next phone is up, the Audible guys would take the fingers out so I wouldn't have a reason for not getting a WP. As an listen-to-audible alternative, I purchased a Kindle Keyboard cause I didn't want a single app to decide over my two-year-OS-experience.

I contiunued checking smartphone news. The Nokia 808 was announced, I was hugely impressed (just a few weeks before this announcement, I wondered why nobody ever came up with the idea of combining a pocket camera with a smartphone - after all, pocket cameras became really dainty!) I thought that this might be an alternative and I would just wait it out.

April came, my contract was renewed, I still couldn't decide. I found out I would have to wait quite a while for a Nokia 808. Then, two things happened:
    • My Wildfire deteriorated. I had more and more random reboots, buckloads of error messages, my beloved audible app crashed more and more (probably due to the fact I had to install it on my SD card since the bloody internal memory was so small). Last Thursday, I had to keep myself from throwing out the thing out of the train window!
    • Audible for WP beta was shown during the same time when my Wildfire was acting up.

I was still a little undecided, though. I had a hard day at work last Friday and wanted to do some frustration shopping. I didn't find any clothes or shoes I liked. All of a sudden, my feet carried me to the little shop my provider has in the mall. The shop was empty and the nice lady had lots of time, letting me play around with a white lumia and also a HTC One X (Was curiuos about this one and wanted to check the progress in the Android world) . I must admit HTC one X is a HUGE improvement compared to the Wildfire. But ... too big in my hands, after handling it one-handed for a few minutes, my hand hurt (I'm sensitive due to reocurring tennis ellbows). And - again, the Lumia just felt as it belonged in my hand, especially the smooth white version.

"Mine", an inner voice said.

And that's how I came into the WP World.

For all that were patient enough to read it all - thanks for your patience and sorry for any mistake! But after over a year of trying to make myself liking my android phone (and failing to do so), I'm just so relived and happy because this time, I seem to have chosen the right phone.

As a conclusion, the Lumia 800 won against the Lumia 900 (which I had wanted to try as well) and against the Nokia 808 because it was there when I needed it. (Still thinking about going totally crazy and getting the Nokia 808 out of contract).
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-09-2012 12:55 PM
    Hello,
    I received it as a Christmas gift from someone who knew I was a Nokia fan (not any more after Nokia Lumia 800 user experience!!:mad:).
    Disappointed on soooo many levels.
    Where do I start? Very briefly:
    1. The interface is absolute crap, extremely basic (not to say rudimentary) and does hardly allow any customisation. The flexibility around organising and editing your tiles (yes, I don't like their standard size and shape!!), content, the poor and unimaginative way they built the user interface are most annoying.
    2. The awful battery life has already gained a bad fame for most (if not all!) users, so need to comment on that.
    3. Adobe Flash Player not working on this phone is a huge drawback! What is the point of advertising it as an ultimate multimedia phone, if (one of) the most common audio-video software is not supported?!?
    4. Lack of options around messaging (such as... a Draft folder, which is sooo basic!) or sound volume!! So, if I want to listen to music or radio at a higher volume, I MUST suffer the 'punishment' of being deafened by the volume intensity when receiving a mail/ message notification or phone call! Crap.
    5. Annoying back button for Net surfing. Always have to go to Settings to close tabs etc. etc. No shortcuts or keys combinations available for such menial tasks!
    And I could go on with listing MANY OTHER FLAWS AND UNNECESSARY COMPLICATIONS concerning the poor interface design and built of Nokia Lumia..., doubled by the inherent limitations of Windows!
    6. The constant upgrades they HAD TO come with to 'sweeten the pill' for the unhappy users just go to prove that this phone launch was rushed, whilst the phone concept was not thought through. In three words, whatta botch job!!!:mad:
    Doh... sorry, Nokia, no longer a fan!
    05-11-2012 07:23 AM
    I know each platform has their ups and downs but, here's why I switched:

My story? I switched from iPhone > Android > WP7. I really wanted to get away from the sea of icons on screen after screen after screen. I switched from iPhone to Android because you can do more with it. But, then I felt like I had to do more with it ---- constantly. I was always flashing roms, and changing the OS to make it work better.

With WP7, I don't feel the need to change things around nearly as much as I did with either of the prior OS's. WP7 has a fluidity that drew me in. The transitions between apps, the scrolling, everything is just, well, fluid. A very smooth experience. I no longer feel the need to flash different roms to get the experience I want. Most of the apps I have installed have that WP7 look to them, across the board. I almost feel as if most of the apps I have are actually part of the OS. However, I would like to see a few more of the main apps that are on iOS and Android brought over to WP7.

Overall, very happy I made the jump. Even though some of the issues I've had with my Lumia 900 are annoying, I am hopeful that Nokia will release an update to correct them.
    jbjtkbw007 likes this.
    05-11-2012 11:56 AM
    Prior to 2007 I had all manner of WinMo's, BB's, Treo's, Nokia's, flip phones, feature phones...you name it at one point I probably tried it. I even bought an unlocked HTC S710, the first WinMo 6.0 device, 3 days before I got the iPhone on it's launch day.

I had always loved my iPod. I stood in line at my local AT&T store on launch day and paid $600 for the original iPhone and got a $100 credit to the Apple Store 2 months later after they dropped the price suddenly. When the iPhone came out I thought I had finally found "The One". I didn't even think of other phones until early last fall. I still very much like the iPhone but I was starting to get that itch again and feeling a little bored looking at essentially the same grid of app icons for 4 years.

Although I really didn't consider any other phones up until last fall I was well aware of WP7 and Android. Watched Palm wither away as well. I followed the Nokia and Microsoft partnership closely. My favorite phones in terms of quality prior to 2007 were Nokia and Motorola. Nokia's phones have always been very advanced IMO; people used to be amazed at the international Nokia phones I would get off ebay.

When Nokia unveiled the Lumia 800 and said it was not for the US market I was pretty upset having already been disappointed by the iPhone 4S. I sulked for awhile on that one, looking at my iPhone with even more bored eyes.

Enter the Lumia 900. I was upgrade eligible in February. With rumors swirling of $99 price with upgrade I was pretty much sold. It has since turned out to be free.

With all that I'm still feeling that itch. But there isn't anything I would buy right now. I like the Lumia 900 but I feel WP7 is like stepping back to iOS 3.0 in some regards. I also feel the 900 is a tad to large for my taste, I think a 4" screen is the perfect size. Plus the battery life and camera are vastly inferior to my iPhone 4.

This fall I hope Nokia releases a 4" WP8 device in the US. I'm waiting to see iOS 6 and 4" iPhone rumors are flying all over the place.

So I'm a two device guy now. If the Lumia had better battery life and a Sirius XM app I would carry my iPhone less. But I had kind of wanting to have 2 devices for awhile to have a back up while traveling when the battery dies on one. I'm satisfied for now.
    05-11-2012 12:54 PM
    Well, I started my smartphone travels with the Motorola Devour on VZW. Honestly, the keyboard and overall hardware style was fantastic, but the crappy camera (2mp, fixed focus, no flash) and obsolete software with no hope of upgrade (Android 1.6) led me to return it to Costco and get the OG Droid. I was pretty happy with it, but it just got buggier and buggier, even running custom roms (I still get email updates regarding a bug in their stock Email app, it gets stuck in a wakelock with Activesync accounts and kills battery in hours, been going on for years). Last year I had been keeping up with the reviews of WP7 and finally bought a used Trophy last summer. Got a new one off eBay this January when the used one really started to crap out.

Happy with my choice...Android seems to be moving backward IMO and just uglier and uglier (I really don't find ICS attractive at all) and I have had a chance to play with my wife's iPod Touch and iOS 5. Personally, I find it downright primitive to use after enjoying WP7 for so long. And the ecosystem (bite me, Verge, and fix your slooooow loading site) is great IMO: real Office, Skydrive, Hotmail has surpassed Gmail, Bing with Vision/Music/Local Scout, Xbox integration, excellent account and contact management, email handling, and Zune Pass.

So anyway, there you go.

FWIW, I bought an iPhone 4S last month to use my last New Every 2 on Verizon and avoid their upgrade fee. Despite the far superior camera, I can't bring myself to use it...will probably end up on my wife's account someday or get sold.
    05-12-2012 07:39 AM
    The lag in Android brought me to WP. That alone.

The turning point was when I tried Launcher7 for Android. I really liked the metro thing and that launcher was one of the smoothest available even on Android. In the end I had WP launcher, caller, sms app, notifications etc...

Ended up just trying a WP phone instead. And here I am. Using the butter smooth OS.
    05-12-2012 01:17 PM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD