What brought you to Windows Phone?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I am here as a natural progression from WM. I waited for Mango and then retired my Tilt 2 in favor of the Quantum. Keyboard and ATT are necessary for me so Quantum was the only choice. IPhone was not considered since there is no keyboard. I rejected Android because I don't trust Google. I rejected BlackBerry because they are not intuitive to me. In fact, I would have stuck with the Tilt 2, but it had become unreliable. Quantum and WP are missing features I used to enjoy on the Tilt 2, but it makes up for it with reliability and more onboard storage. I am hoping WP8 brings back some of the features from WM while keeping everything that makes WP so good.

pr0xibus

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Its quite a difficult question to answer. I have had a lot of phones. I am one of these people that buy phones, use it for a bit then swap or buy another one. I was a big android fan purely for customization. The Samsung galaxy portal was the best phone i have had. Custom themes/roms/ etc I bought it brand new, used it for a good few months then sold it.

I have had 3 iPhone's and just never liked them. Do not get me started on blackberry. But one day I seen a Nokia lumia 800 for sale for ?160. pretty cheap. I bought it, used it for a few weeks didnt really like it. Sold it on. bought myself a cheap phone to play about with in-between phones. But for some strange reason i kept comparing other phones to the lumia. Just remembering back to when i had it (live tiles, 8mb camera, the really really black screen, easy of use , gorilla screen), i took the plunge and got myself another lumia 800. I wont ever look back to android again. Yes android devices are alot more powerful. But nokia and Microsoft have just proved you dont need dual or quad core for a fast phone

dkny2kx

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
i only got a windows phone because of the lumia 900 cyan version.

Also because the OS is slick and refined, and never slow with very good battery life.

Although, if the platform doesn't take off, i may just back to android where I came from as ICS is a very good OS version. or I may dabble with Iphone 5.

This is basically my one chance with windows phone, and I probably won't come back unless it takes off.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The Titan! :D

I'd never thought of having a phone with a screen that size until I held it in my hand. I was very impressed with the thinness and the build quality. I decided to grab one and check it out for at least 30 Days. I've had 3 iPhones and a Nexus S so I figured it was time for a change anyway. Over the first week I was really impressed that I never had to reboot the OS, the media capabilities and the panorama apps were very impressive. However, the clincher came when I was out at a bar with friends and I decided to start taking a few snaps with the camera. Now I don't expect much from a camera phone, but once I saw the quality of those low light pics and showed them to a few of the girls that were more than happy to pose, I was hooked. The Titan takes great pictures and on that huge screen you get sucked in. Everyone started asking about my phone and holding it beside their iPhones for comparison purposes. A 4.7 inch phone makes quite an impression. Lol

But unfortunately, about 20 Days in Nokia Lumia devices started showing up and talk of the 900 was picking up steam. Shortly after, AT&T mentioned the upcoming Titan II potentially with LTE. WTF! Oh man that sealed my Titans fate. Once I saw the 900 I knew that was the direction I was going even though I really wanted to get the Titan II. NOKIA was known as the camera and design company so I figured the 900 would be the real competitor the iPhones been waiting on. Needless to say, when they announced the 16MP camera on the Titan II I got a lump in my throat. On one side I was looking at the design of the 900 and on the other was the proven Camera from HTC. Windows Phone was basically the same on both, short of the Nokia Apps. These devices and my affinity for Microsoft products (Win7, XBOX 360, Home Server, HP ENVY Laptops, Zune Pass ...etc) make windows phone a natural Fit for me

If I was 100% truthful, in my opinion, the TITAN II is the best windows phone from top to bottom and I'd love to have one, but NOKIA's all in on Windows Phone so I grabbed my CYAN 900 and said I'll strongly consider HTC in the fall when WP8 comes calling.

People love my 900. My iPhone buddies aren?t fond of my 900. I think they view it as a threat to the iPhone being the coolest looking device on the market. They are slowly coming around as they see the popularity of the device kind of moving towards that cult like status. Most People are such natural followers. If it?s considered cool by the mass public, they?ll open their minds. The colors really make an impression also when I have my In Ear Purity Headphones on.

If the marketing keeps going strong with NOKIA, it's just a matter of time before Windows phone goes viral. Those Pureview Cameras and closing the hardware argument with competitors will also remove the final bit of hesitation people have with checking out what Nokia and Microsoft have up their sleeve. I wouldn't be surprised if a Window 8 Bundle wasn't a major contributor either. Did I also mention i still got a Free Titan From M$ as part of the developer program. :D

Ray E.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
What brought me to Windows Phone is:

Nokia manufacturing the phone (always heard great reviews of Nokia's phone built quality).

Windows Phone OS uniqueness (ultimately tiles updating new notifications and the ease of use).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What brought me to Windows Phone is:

Nokia manufacturing the phone (always heard great reviews of Nokia's phone built quality).

Windows Phone OS uniqueness (ultimately tiles updating new notifications and the ease of use).

I can vouch for Nokia. I used Symbian devices in the past. When I saw that Nokia was releasing Windows Phone, I really did not consider any other vendors, since I trusted Nokia from my previous experiences.

HappyPalm

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I came from WebOS, which I chose after researching all the OSs. I liked that it was simple and easy to use--in a word, "smart." However, WebOS went under. :( Windows Phone looked like the next best thing.

Android seems too... I don't know...seedy?? It just seems like a big mess with lots of bugs and viruses out to get you. No thanks.

iPhone--well, its seems safe enough, but I found my parents new iPhone a little annoying to use, and I wasn't that impressed with the interface. Plus, it's an Apple product, which I try to stay away from.

I liked that Windows was compatible with my PC, and I thought the tiles were super fun. Plus, it's a very easy OS to use--smart, like WebOS. It's not perfect, but so far, I'm loving it! :)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I came from WebOS, which I chose after researching all the OSs. I liked that it was simple and easy to use--in a word, "smart." However, WebOS went under. :( Windows Phone looked like the next best thing.

Android seems too... I don't know...seedy?? It just seems like a big mess with lots of bugs and viruses out to get you. No thanks.

iPhone--well, its seems safe enough, but I found my parents new iPhone a little annoying to use, and I wasn't that impressed with the interface. Plus, it's an Apple product, which I try to stay away from.

I liked that Windows was compatible with my PC, and I thought the tiles were super fun. Plus, it's a very easy OS to use--smart, like WebOS. It's not perfect, but so far, I'm loving it! :)
I had the tilt 2 but I did not use the physical kb very much I didnt really want that part of the phone I would have been happy with the top half of the phone and crammed everything needed in that part That would have been a great deal for me. But I love the WP ois and the L 900 is a really good phone. I hope it upgrades to Apollo but if not thats okay I will ge a newer phone eventually.

HappyPalm

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
But I love the WP ois and the L 900 is a really good phone. I hope it upgrades to Apollo but if not thats okay I will ge a newer phone eventually.
I love my Lumia 900 as well!!! It's just a gorgeous phone, and combined with WP--you can't beat it. My iPhone friends have been super impressed so far. I'm with you--if Apollo doesn't transfer, I'll get it soon enough. You just have to wait I think 18 months between contracts now with AT&T--that's not bad at all.

That sums up why I moved from Android to WP. Lol
LOL Budney! Glad to know I was on key with my assumption--but even if not, I love WP!! The tiles are just super fun, and I love how I can pin my favorite things to the front page. I didn't understand the tiles until I physically picked up a WP and played with it for a bit. I think it's an awesome concept. We have such great apps in WP as well--tailored just for our tiles.

I love texting with this phone as well (though it's not as fast or accurate as my physical keyboard was with Palm!!), and I'm amazed at how smart the phone is at guessing my typos. Plus, I love all the words that pop up while I'm texting. It makes making corrections soo much easier and faster.

Last edited:

mdintx

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I came from Android (Xperia X10). I've done my fair share of rooting, flashing, etc. No matter what, it never provided a smooth experience. The phone started to break down about a month before I was upgrade eligible. So I started looking around. I was pretty comfortable going with Iphone as my wife has one and it's a good phone/system. I wanted to give Windows Phone a try before making the call. I've heard a lot about how smooth the system can be. The Lumia 900 got me intrigued but after reading the reviews, I opted to try the Focus S. I figured I could sell it at a minimal loss. So far so good. I'm not totally sold but I'm gonna give it a fair shake.

TeamCharles

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm an ex-Blackberry user and several factors brought me here. I liked BB OS6 for a while but about 6 months ago I started to hate my phone (Bold 9700). The phone would frequently unlock itself in my pocket and pocket dial people. The browser on OS6 is also horrible, crashing frequently

In addition my gripes with the phone, I grew increasingly frustrated with RIM. RIM over the past two years seems to be incompetent. Every time a new update or product was announced, it was delayed several times, and by the time it came out, it failed to live up to expectations.

When I looked at Android phones, I was turned off by the failure rate and Google's privacy policy.

As for the iPhone, I hate iTunes and I have always hated how sharp the edge of case is where the case meets the charging port on my girlfriend's 3GS.

WP7 seemed like a pretty easy choice for me. I have an xbox and I've been using Windows 8 CP since it was released. When the Lumia 900 was announced, I knew that was going to be my BB replacement. I loved the shape and color (cyan) of the Lumia 900 and since I've been using Windows 8 for a while now, navigating WP7 seemed very natural and easy. I guess one of MS's reasons for going to the Metro interface in Windows 8 has already paid off. :lol:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Net10 Bring Your Own Device Program..

I had been a basic phone user for the longest time - lg100c and lg300c - no camera, no internet, no mp3, just voice+txt is all. I went throught probably at least couple of those during the last 6 years or so. This year I decided I would upgrade to a smartphone, instead of upgrading my computer which I did last year.

So this year is my first Time with SmartPhone, but, Me being a Techie for 20+ years (Computer IT). I was not out of loop when it comes to phone per say. I have been keeping up with them for years and years now. When Mango was released last year it really sparked my interest.

Android 1) Market is Flooded With them, trying to find something that would be durable and stable etc was hard2) Too Many OS to choose, Gingerbread what, Froyo Who, Ice Cream SandWhich what the **** 3) Too Many Problems, Seems you have to tinker with them to get them work the way you want or look the way you want 4) Was not going to buy a Net10 Android Phone for Sure to use with "BYOD" Program, when I could get something way better.

Iphone 1) Girlfriend has One, have to be different than her 2) Everybody and their Dog has one 3) Never really been an Apple Fan

BlackBerry was not of interest to me. Not even a thought.

Well that left Windows Phone - and all that I can say is once I played around with a demo Focus S at Best Buy I was sold. The UI, Live Tiles, Features Built In - Local Scout, Maps, GPS Navigation, Xbox, Office was big seller. Has I use Word Alot. People Hub and Me Tile..I was sold on the OS after a few Minute's of playing around with it seamless, smooth, responsive, etc.

So then I went home and started researching into the various windows phone that where available. Since I was sticking with a Net10 AT&T Compatible Sim and Was willing to buy it brand new off contract- My choices at the local AT&T Store where Focus S, Focus Flash. I did have a price limit so that pretty much narrowed it down to the flash. Which had all the features that Bigger Focus S has just smaller screen, smaller hd, and camera. Since I have small hands the flash felt just right I was able to work it one handed while Focus S I had little more trouble working one handed.

I would have to say that I quite Impressed with Windows Phone OS and it will only get better overtime. Microsoft is not the type to rush things out unlike you know who.

Took me a couple of days to get everything working correctly with Net10 AT&T Compatible Sim. I am glad that I picked the right phone because Samsung Wireless Manager allowed to me to setup APN Manually and without that I pretty much would not have MMS working.

And this Site has been most helpful in helping me understand my phone, heck I even bricked my phone by playing around with root menu, and had to go a few weeks without while it was in repair..Not even 2 months old and I had to send it in.

Long Live Windows Phone

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm an ex-Blackberry user and several factors brought me here. I liked BB OS6 for a while but about 6 months ago I started to hate my phone (Bold 9700). The phone would frequently unlock itself in my pocket and pocket dial people. The browser on OS6 is also horrible, crashing frequently

In addition my gripes with the phone, I grew increasingly frustrated with RIM. RIM over the past two years seems to be incompetent. Every time a new update or product was announced, it was delayed several times, and by the time it came out, it failed to live up to expectations.

When I looked at Android phones, I was turned off by the failure rate and Google's privacy policy.

As for the iPhone, I hate iTunes and I have always hated how sharp the edge of case is where the case meets the charging port on my girlfriend's 3GS.

WP7 seemed like a pretty easy choice for me. I have an xbox and I've been using Windows 8 CP since it was released. When the Lumia 900 was announced, I knew that was going to be my BB replacement. I loved the shape and color (cyan) of the Lumia 900 and since I've been using Windows 8 for a while now, navigating WP7 seemed very natural and easy. I guess one of MS's reasons for going to the Metro interface in Windows 8 has already paid off. :lol:
You sound exactly like me, with the exception of owning an Xbox. I don't have one.

My BB 9700 was getting painful to use. "Page too large--closing" followed by browser crash, plus truncated emails was bad; not to mention the hourglass.

I hate iTunes too. I only installed it several years ago to get free songs from Starbucks. Once I got the free songs, bye bye iTunes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb