Why pay premium prices for lesser specs?

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I know we're talking phones here, but for years, Apple has been getting away with low cost parts in their computers and selling them at a premium. They don't have the specs of an Alienware, Asus G-Series notebook, etc, but they can command a premium. They are the perfect example of overcharging for less specs, yet just like Windows Phone, they prove that you can build a device that runs smoothly without having to have all high end specs.

And they never get called out on it.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I know we're talking phones here, but for years, Apple has been getting away with low cost parts in their computers and selling them at a premium. They don't have the specs of an Alienware, Asus G-Series notebook, etc, but they can command a premium. They are the perfect example of overcharging for less specs, yet just like Windows Phone, they prove that you can build a device that runs smoothly without having to have all high end specs.

And they never get called out on it.

Of course they get called out on it. It's called the Apple Tax.
Urban Dictionary: Apple Tax

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I started a thread right after CES in which I asked the same question, only with a twist: Why didn't more manufacturers put in multi-core processors, better screens, and the like just to compete with Android? It would not have hurt WP performance, and the sales reps that really do not do their jobs would have had more fancy lines on the place cards under the name of the device. Manufacturers are already buying these in bulk for their Android offerings, and even though there are required levels by Microsoft, I have never even heard of MS saying that you couldn't go beyond their requirments.

This is especially true with 2nd Gen devices. There are STILL posters who are worried the Focus S, Titan and T2, the Radar and all the Nokia's may not get WP8. And they have bought the phones already. More advanced hardware looking ahead to Apollo ends that debate, as it is update capable. (I am confused why Android gets a pass on this, as Manufacturers and carriers have a poor record overall of upgrading Android devices, but that is a different thread..) This might have given WP a fighting chance in the evening gown portion of the pagent. They already have plenty to offer in the talent portion of the evening.

"WP- if bought by this perspective consumer, what goals would you consider to be the highest priorities?"

"I would provide a seamless, dependable Smartphone experience, with at least one upgrade as you own me, and I look great in my Bathing Suit. Oh- I also want to end world hunger."

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Dipping out of the thread before the Admins come and blame me once again for derailing when I'm not the one that baited the side-convo.

Gonna start adding a lot of people to ignore list from this point on, and reporting posts. Getting tired of it.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Why do you guys even try to talk to this Se1fcr3ation fella? His homerism is so extreme it's not even worth it.

im not BIAS towards only having a WP.. I work in cellphones ive used EVERY single OS... and ive used over 50 different cellphones in the last 4years.

and pointing out FACT is not being BIAS its being informed.

my GF is using a GS2 right now and its always bugging out , she has to do battery pulls every week , phones lags like crazy just by navigating the phone menu.... seriously its almost the same story for every single Android phone ive had

the ONLY time ive had a good time on Android is when i dual-booted my WM phone with Android on it.. it actually worked.. lol ( that's with 10 different Android phones)

so exude me if im not allowed to share my personal experience ..
but you guys are clearly allowed right?? :straight:

so if we are not allowed to share our personal experience I guess ill go ahead and CLOSE 90% of the THREADS on this FORUM and 90% of all the post..:p

Last edited:

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
im not BIAS towards only having a WP.. I work in cellphones ive used EVERY single OS... and ive used over 50 different cellphones in the last 4years.

and pointing out FACT is not being BIAS its being informed.

my GF is using a GS2 right now and its always bugging out , she has to do battery pulls every week , phones lags like crazy just by navigating the phone menu....

so exude me if im not allowed to share my personal experience ..
but you guys are clearly allowed right??

so if we are not allowed to share our personal experience I guess ill go ahead and CLOSE 90% of the THREADS on this FORUM and 90% of all the post..:p

I got your back....

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so back on subject. Do you folks think that even with a better processor and better overall specs that folks will still say WP7 phones are behind in technology being that the new phones coming out are quad core goodness? Do you feel that these WP8 devices are future proof enough? I know folks that keep phones for years. Will having dual cores be enough in 2014? And will we be paying 600 dollars off contract for a WP phone when the titan 2 may still be $549?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so back on subject. Do you folks think that even with a better processor and better overall specs that folks will still say WP7 phones are behind in technology being that the new phones coming out are quad core goodness? Do you feel that these WP8 devices are future proof enough? I know folks that keep phones for years. Will having dual cores be enough in 2014? And will we be paying 600 dollars off contract for a WP phone when the titan 2 may still be $549?

The only phones being release with quad core are European android models. Those chips currently don't support LTE, so the American versions are using dual core. I'm sure by 2014 we will have quad core phones in the US.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
We BARELY need quad core computers. Do we REALLY need quad core phones?
Depends. If the OS requires it to run as well as every other phone, then yes. If the marketing types figure it's a good way to bring people into the stores, you bet. If the OS runs smooth on a single-core like WP7, then no. But then you'll have this thread and everybody's sage advice, the hate, the venom and few objective comments. Sucks it has to be this way but unfortunately this is no different than Auburn vs. Alabama.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Depends. If the OS requires it to run as well as every other phone, then yes. If the marketing types figure it's a good way to bring people into the stores, you bet. If the OS runs smooth on a single-core like WP7, then no. But then you'll have this thread and everybody's sage advice, the hate, the venom and few objective comments. Sucks it has to be this way but unfortunately this is no different than Auburn vs. Alabama.

I don't think WP needs dual-core for the os, but for games it probably will in the future. The iphone 4 runs pretty good on a single-core processor, but the 4S is dual-core. I think it's just the way the phones are going to evolve.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I simply see quad core as a marketing ploy. Its not needed, but the known nothings want MOAR POWAH! I'd be ok with just dual core.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
We BARELY need quad core computers. Do we REALLY need quad core phones?
Depends. Define "need".

Need- as in, to run smooth, be effiecient, allow for reasonable future updates, allow for multi-media, and have enough processor for graphics (which is a seperate chip anyway) and gameplay- Nope. Cellphones do not need them.

Need- As in get the casual smartphone consumer to pay attention to your device and at least pick it up and try it when they are shopping, as well as getting your basic sales rep who really isn't good at his job to at least show the device to those casual smartphone consumers in the first place- most likely.

Let's not forget- Microsoft keeps touting that they are in the Mobile OS race to win it. Android is the team to beat as far as smartphones go. If Google and their manufacturers can always say "we are ahead of the curve" even if it is all show, than WP doesn't get that face time.

I am not worried about quad core, but I try to be informed in my purchases. Most consumers stumble into a store, buy a phone, and wait for their contract to be up before they do it again. WP needs to be on the same "eye-candy" level as the team they are trying to beat.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The smartphone biz is full of buzz words and much of it concerns hardware, and the average consumer PROBABLY gets sold on that. I've overheard it plenty of times in Verizon and ATT corporate stores. The info some of these older adults are given is funny. But I'm not a C-blocker so I let the salesman be a salesman.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The only spec that translates to an improved user experience is possibly screen resolution, and even that is debatable. Processing power and battery life can be mitigated by better software, which WP provides. The rest is a push.

Forget specs. The only thing that really matters is app selection. App selection is what's holding the platform back.

mYth

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Having powerful specs means nothing without the OS being optimized for it.
Something android doesn't do all that well.

Them using a quad core is overkill.
Apps can't use dual core. Separate apps can be put in the background on different cores, but one app cannot be split. (or that's what I've been told, the programming language doesn't allow it)

No mobile OS still has true multitasking.

True dual and quad core can:
Keep the device cooler
Provide better battery life
Provide more power provided the OS gets to the point it can use it.

But had mobile companies put more attention to a single core and it's development I doubt we would see much of a difference between the two.

Maybe in a couple of years I can see it being relevant, but not now.

The only spec that translates to an improved user experience is possibly screen resolution, and even that is debatable.

Forget specs. The only thing that really matters is app selection. App selection is what's holding the platform back.
I highly doubt anyone could tell the difference between the resolutions past 720p. And even going that high is a push. It takes a well trained eye to spot anything on a screen so small. The only reason for possibly going that high is hd movies.

I think what most users are comparing in the screen is the contrast, color, and PPI.

And to your second part that's why I'm not with WP7 anymore. All of the apps I used were desperately in need of updates that they weren't getting. Plus I had to find alternative for most of the apps I used.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes