Well its that time of the year again...

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Im getting a bit tired of my 4S so Im looking for an upgrade soon, Im gonna wait and see how the iphone 5 is, also I wanna see what hardware comes with apollo and what changes apollo brings, android is always there but not sure I want that, as far as WP7 I had it and got rid of it, shows huge potential but flaws in the OS and hardware push it back for me, Im sure the next iphone will have at least 4" HD screen, lte, tons of memory and other stuff (hopefully a IOS redesign), as for WP it really needs higher res screens, more memory, and just keep tweaking the OS, also you can never stop doing a better app store (wasn't impressed with the app selection)

Overall lets see, what are your expectations for Apollo? Any word on how WP has been doing? Good? solid? bad? I just hope it doesn't fail, I hope it starts getting momentum which it seems like it hasn't (IMO).

we'll see.

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
it won't get momentum if people don't try :(

Not sure how any product will get better without people buying it.

Hence why I jumped ship from iPhone 4s. Figure it was part of my duty as a consumer to say "there are users of WP7, make it better"

If not, stuck with 2 OS for smartphone and we know that sucks for consumers.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think 480x800 is fine, certainly not a dealbreaker. For example the top selling android devices are the HVGA screens (sic). I don't get all these resolution complaints.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My expectation is that you will see new Windows Phones with Apollo, dual core processors and higher resolution screens before the end of the year. Probably with Nokia and Samsung leading the way.

I don't think they will be too far apart from whenever the iPhone 5 will be announced. If they're smart and able, they will either release before the iPhone 5 sucks all the oxygen out of the room or they will wait a few months until some of the iPhone5 fervor slows down.

Releasing anything within a month or two of the iPhone5 would seriously dilute any interest they might manage to generate.

Either way, if the iPhone 5 is a major redesign, and it will be, Microsoft and Nokia are going to have a heck of a time getting any attention at all. Best to beat Apple to the punch, or wait a while after an iPhone 5 is released. The tech media, bloggers etc. are going to be beside themselves in adoration of the iPhone5, whatever it is, so any Windows Phones released anywhere close to the same time will be ignored, or at best, compared unfavorably to the jesus phone 5.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think 480x800 is fine, certainly not a dealbreaker. For example the top selling android devices are the HVGA screens (sic). I don't get all these resolution complaints.

480x800 is completely OK for a mid-level smartphone. Anything that is to be considered high-end or premium will have to do better than that by the end of this year IMO.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping for a camera as good or better than the 4S and a high resolution screen. Watching YouTube on my trophy is ok, but it doesn't compare to watching the same video on my wife's iPhone 4 or a galaxy nexus. If HTC puts the camera and camera software from the One X in a windows 8 phone on Verizon I'm pretty much going to get it.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping for a camera as good or better than the 4S and a high resolution screen. Watching YouTube on my trophy is ok, but it doesn't compare to watching the same video on my wife's iPhone 4 or a galaxy nexus. If HTC puts the camera and camera software from the One X in a windows 8 phone on Verizon I'm pretty much going to get it.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

the Titan II camera is better than the 4S.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm just thrown by your title. Seems like that time of year will be the fall because there isn't any definitive details on what you ask. Just the normal speculation and rumour as usual. It's only May and not an official peep from Apple or Microsoft.

I'm just saying.....

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
My expectation is that you will see new Windows Phones with Apollo, dual core processors and higher resolution screens before the end of the year. Probably with Nokia and Samsung leading the way.

I don't think they will be too far apart from whenever the iPhone 5 will be announced. If they're smart and able, they will either release before the iPhone 5 sucks all the oxygen out of the room or they will wait a few months until some of the iPhone5 fervor slows down.

Releasing anything within a month or two of the iPhone5 would seriously dilute any interest they might manage to generate.

Either way, if the iPhone 5 is a major redesign, and it will be, Microsoft and Nokia are going to have a heck of a time getting any attention at all. Best to beat Apple to the punch, or wait a while after an iPhone 5 is released. The tech media, bloggers etc. are going to be beside themselves in adoration of the iPhone5, whatever it is, so any Windows Phones released anywhere close to the same time will be ignored, or at best, compared unfavorably to the jesus phone 5.

I agree with a lot of this. I think (hope) that with Apollo, MS will have a software platform that will make them a legitimate competitor, and hopefully it will also bring support for cuting edge hardware. As unnecessary as some may find Super Ultra Mega HD screens (or other hardware specs), others will love them. One big advantage that I think WP (and Android) has over iOS is hardware choice. Nokia will surely continue to try and support the low range of phones, and Samsung seems to be happy doing that as well, but they both have shown that they are also interested in making higher end phones, as has HTC. Apollo could perhaps give these manufacturers some real room for creativity and spec wars, with the latter at least on both ends of the spectrum. It could only help the platform IMO, as long as fragmentation is kept at bay, which I think is the big plus over Android.

If MS could get some real cross-carrier action going (Lumia 1000 across the Big 4 for example) in addition to some better marketing, I think WP would do quite well.

Perhaps with as tight-lipped as MS has been, they'll be able to come out with an Apollo event after the iPhone 5 unveiling and one up Apple themselves, instead of another Mango. I've been using Windows 8 almost daily for about 7 months, and I think that MS could take some cues over from that and really make WP quite desirable, and perhaps even the leader of the pack. Unfortunately, it would surely still take time for the consumers to see this.

Of course, Apollo could instead be atrocious and a killer of the platform. ;) Hopefully not, though.