Is Nokia causing fragmentation on Windows Phone with their exclusive apps? YES

SkylerP

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
So when other OEM have exclusive collection it's no big deal. But when Nokia comes out with a collection, people pull the fragmentation card and complain.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So when other OEM have exclusive collection it's no big deal. But when Nokia comes out with a collection, people pull the fragmentation card and complain.
Again, it's not the same thing. Nobody's complaining about OEMs keeping their own software exclusive. If Nokia wants to restrict Nokia Maps, Music, Drive etc to their own devices then that's fine. It's when they go out and do this with apps and services they don't own or produce that it's a problem.

What if Instagram, Draw something, and Pandora came to WP, but were exclusive to HTC phones for 6 months? Would there be Nokia owners here complaining? I'd bet my whole bank account that there would be.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
LOL, some people just refuse to see the difference between, for ex. PayPay and Nokia Drive. No **** one is already exclusive, but the other is a highly used 3rd party app.

And to whoever said, "just buy a Nokia". Please go jump off a bridge.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Slightly off topic but I don't even see the Nokia collection in the market place right now on my Lumia. Where did it go?

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I read the title of this thread and really didn't want to comment. I know people are going to have strong opinions either way, but come on...they are helping to push the OS and the WP environment forward. That's the bigger picture.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Things like this make me concerned that one day...

You won't be able to watch certain dvds/blurays for xx amount of time unless you have the specific brand of player.

You will have to wait xx amount of days to watch a certain TV episode unless you have a certain brand TV.

Maybe Nokia or MS will strike a deal with Starbucks or some other retail place and if you show that you own a windows phone you get 10% off....

One day.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
You know...what I might be okay with...

I am thankful we will be getting more apps, good ones too. I realize that Nokia has spent some money on getting these apps/developers to release on WP, so I guess Nokia should get something for that. What if...in addition of making them exclusive for xx amount of time, they give the option to charge other phone users $0.99 more for the app. The $0.99 would go to Nokia, and it would give the other phone users the option to get the app right away, or wait the xx amount of days before it becomes available to everyone.

I would be okay with that. It gives me the option to get the app right away or I could just wait. I would be fine with giving Nokia, HTC or Samsung $1 here and there for increasing WP apps/developers.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
You know...what I might be okay with...

I am thankful we will be getting more apps, good ones too. I realize that Nokia has spent some money on getting these apps/developers to release on WP, so I guess Nokia should get something for that. What if...in addition of making them exclusive for xx amount of time, they give the option to charge other phone users $0.99 more for the app. The $0.99 would go to Nokia, and it would give the other phone users the option to get the app right away, or wait the xx amount of days before it becomes available to everyone.

I would be okay with that. It gives me the option to get the app right away or I could just wait. I would be fine with giving Nokia, HTC or Samsung $1 here and there for increasing WP apps/developers.
That's actually quite a good idea... However, I wonder if the developers would let Nokia do that.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I think the amount of people who will cry over this is a very small percentage. Nokia is doing a great thing for themselves and their users.

Good job Nokia! Keep up the good work.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Things like this make me concerned that one day...

You won't be able to watch certain dvds/blurays for xx amount of time unless you have the specific brand of player.

You will have to wait xx amount of days to watch a certain TV episode unless you have a certain brand TV.

Maybe Nokia or MS will strike a deal with Starbucks or some other retail place and if you show that you own a windows phone you get 10% off....

One day.

In a way, this already happens. 30 days before Netflix can get new releases. A delay from when certain pay TV companies can broadcast content, etc. It already exists. So it comes to mobile phone OEMs and now becomes an issue when it's already accepted? Well...maybe not accepted, but already a practice.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Put it like this, I wouldn't buy another Samsung or HTC phone if my life depended on it. For far too long have they put **** all effort into their handsets and their software.

So, if Nokia wants to make investments into bringing apps to Windows Phone then I'm more than happy.

Sure, it makes people who bought a Focus or Radar or whatever feel like crap. But that is not the goal of Nokia. Other than to drum up sales of their own handsets, what they are doing is introducing competition to the OS. It's time for other manufacturers to step up, or step out.

For far too long manufacturers have been able to get away with producing any piece of crap Android phone and having it sell to someone. The fact of the matter is, on Windows Phone hardware is (currently) limited and companies like HTC and Samsung are going to have to make some kind of an effort either with hardware or software to support their customers.

Your complaint isn't with Nokia, but with the manufacturers of your own hardware who have made such a piss poor effort that it makes Nokia bringing a few apps to market look like the second ****ing coming.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I think the amount of people who will cry over this is a very small percentage. Nokia is doing a great thing for themselves and their users.
This. Let's be frank with ourselves. The bulk of us are pouting over nothing. Most of us would never use any of the Nokia exclusive apps, with the exception of Nokia Drive, had they been available to us. CNN, Six Flags, ESPN, "golf caddy"??? These apps are all "niche-y" bloatware. If you really wanted to use any of these apps, you would have purchased an Android or an iPhone and, let's not kid ourselves, you know that the bulk of Android or iPhone users find these "exclusive" apps completely useless and laughable on their own platforms. No one's going to be swayed to a Lumia from Android because now it comes with Six Flags!

As a former Symbian^1 user, I was treated to Nokia Beta Labs and a suite of Nokia's innovative, cutting edge apps. (Yes, Nokia has actually always had interesting "exclusive" apps. They were just tucked away in the horrible Symbian platform.) This include Nokia Drive and something like City Lens, which actually have been available on Symbian predating WP. While they look interesting, I can rest assure you that each and every one of their apps have been utterly useless! The only app Nokia Labs ever brought me that I use on a day-to-day basis was Swype.

With that said, let's just be happy that Nokia is grabbing some headlines. If some people are swayed to Lumia because they want to try out the innovative (though impractical) apps, why not let them? For the rest of us, we should just be happy with what we have. I have complete faith in Microsoft that it will procure everything we need.

For far too long manufacturers have been able to get away with producing any piece of crap Android phone and having it sell to someone.
HTC's Sense UI is highly acclaimed. It's been knocked off by many other manufacturers, from Samsung to LG to Nokia (for Symbian).

The HTC WP apps are also great! They're not headliners like many Nokia apps; but, the Flashlight, Converter, Compass, and Scientific Calculator are all smooth, clean, and practical apps that the average user can use. I think many of us simply can't appreciate what's in front of us. Now I'm just waiting for a Stop Watch and Voice Recorder app and I'll be happy.

The Samsung Hub is, admittedly, pretty bad, though.

Last edited:

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
You really think CNN and ESPN are niche apps?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
Yes, I find those apps niche.

There's a mobile website! And guess what? On WP, you can even pin links to websites on your START page! I've never understood the need for an app for everything. On WP and higher spec'ed smartphones, internet browsing is so smooth that individual apps for everything is simply silly and cumbersome. Since there are viable alternatives, the apps aren't essential.

Furthermore, how many people actually use CNN and ESPN on a regular basis? Not that many individuals read the news on their smartphone(definitely less than 50%) and there even less visit CNN or ESPN.
There are a myriad of other news sites people can and do visit.

For the reasons being that there are viable alternative to the CNN and ESPN apps and that few people actually frequent those sites, the apps are definitely intended for a niche audience. XYZ website web browsing apps are actually the epitome of niche.

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay- in the truth in advertisment department, if you click on the link for the Phone Arena article that "inspired" this thread, there will be about a page long post from a poster with the screen name "snowgator". That is me on P.A. By the way, that piece is written by a VERY good writer by the name of Micheal Heller. He is very knowledgable. Sometimes I disagree with his conclusions, but I am always impressed by his research. Phone Arena is the only other place I post these days, and I have become one of a core group of WP supporters as WP haters have really started to show up. (Itself a compliment!!)

In a nutshell, I have said what most of you have said, with a couple extra points:

1) The 6 month exclusive period itself is overblown. Translation: Whe WP8 comes out, all these apps will be available to all WP 8 handsets. So HTC, Samsung, ZTE, Fujitisu, and whoever else wants to put out a WP8 handset will benefit from Nokia's hard charging.

2) The 900 is the most important WP launch to date. Nokia has to show it's stockholders that this stragety will work. Microsoft has only 1 manufacturer willing to bet on it's OS. These apps will help that.

3) Could the Samsung Focus 2, Flash, and the "S", and the Titan 2 use these apps to help their sales and support? Sure. So could commercials and more active support for their devices. (Hey HTC- when is that fix for the T1's call quality problems coming???) If these companies aren't doing those simple things, why is everyone upset because Nokia is?

One point I didn't bring up in that post that I should have: Since when do apps that Nokia is developing and 3rd party apps it is nogotiating mean MS is not supporting all OEMs? Will Nokia get an special update due to these apps??? Nope- only UI skins that exist on Android and carrier limitations cause fragmentation. So really, this is much worry about very little.

A little secret: To those of us who do not buy Nokia WPs, we are not going to get supported or as many goodies as those who do until our device manufacturers feel threatened by Nokia. When that happens, the Samsung's and HTC's of the world will decalre war and start supporting our phones to try and head off Nokia's rise.

Win/Win.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia wasn't around, no Windows Phone would have those apps. They are building up their own ecosystem, but it's not actively damaging the other manufacturers. It's the fault of HTC, Samsung and the rest for failing to take the initiative during the 12 months head start they had on Nokia.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Perspective guys!

I read the whole thread, enjoyed the debate. However, shocked that no one has put it out there yet.

Windows Phone IS NOKIA's life line (and may be vice versa for now!)

If Nokia did not get all these exclusivity it wouldn't have killed it's own baby so ruthlessly!

I loved Symbian and I've grown using it. That OS never got updates in my phone's life cycle and yet I loved it. Nokia killed that OS because even though there were billions of 'me' using it, they were making a loss. They could have easily gone for Android or created their own new OS.

They have instead decided to scratch all their OS gradually starting with Symbian, Belle will follow soon, Meego (does it exist?).

Nokia is MSFT's girl friend. Doesn't matter how many really loyal friends who are girls (HTC, Samsung etc) are with MSFT, they haven't given up their heart and soul like Nokia has. If MSFT buys flowers or gifts or lunch for ONLY NOKIA, I don't see that to be unfair at all. Nokia deserves it. All other girls (HTC etc) who are MSFT's "just friends" are already sleeping around with other dudes (Android) and they are boasting about it. MSFT has all the rights to be waaaay more into Nokia than any of the other girls. But that doesn't mean MSFT doesn't like them or they don't like MSFT. It is mutual. This is how real life relationships work and this is how business relationships are contracted. Nothing new.

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia loves us

I think most people think that all the apps announced will be nokia exclusives...you guys know it's only a couple right? Where was the uprising when AT&T got IloMilo before everyone else?

Lets see we already have groupon but for some reason nokia is the bad guy for getting them to add new features that we would never have seen otherwise. Which we all will get in 6 months. A win for all WP users in my book, seeing as the groupon app we already have will still work.

Hmm there is ESPN, which we already have and it's horrible, but again nokia is getting them to make a real app, this one hurts the most being a big football fan and also we have to wait a year....our crappy ESPN app will still work, but in a year we will all be happy and glad they brought the app to the OS, but wishing they did it sooner.

PGA TOUR...we dont have an app that I am aware of, but im sure if u are a golf fan waiting a year for this will be hard, I Have no real comments for the but be strong

Angry Birds...I dont see where this is an exclusive "The company is building a dedicated development team to create titles for Nokia Lumia and the wider Windows Phone ecosystem, with the goal of publishing all future Rovio titles – including Angry Birds Space – on the platform as quickly as possible.

Do you guys really understand what this means? We not only get angry birds space but we will get future one's as well. How many here were complaining because we didn't get seasons or rio after they introduced the original to the platform?
They will have a dedicated wp team, so we shouldnt be left in the cold when new stages come out. Is angry birds even mango enabled? we should finally get updates as well.

EA Titles...This is the biggest for me and its not an exclusive either. I have been wanting madden on my phone ever since My touch pro 1, now I will be able to get it :lol: (thanks nokia)
we will get games like FIFA, Madden, NBA Jam, Tiger Woods, Mirror’s Edge and Yahtzee.

Tripdots...never heard of it, but its only a 3 month exclusive, again would we have gotten this in even 6 months without nokia...idk :p but we are still all going to benefit

PayPal...im sure I have seen threads asking for this, but its not an exclusive either..be happy

AOL Entertainment Hub...6 months exclusive....I dont use anything AOL and dont know what it contains, no comment

CNN...Being a big news source I can see how this might be a problem for some, and im not sure how long it will be nokia only, but if you really need CNN only news then I'd suggest a rss reader, I know its not the same, but it will have to do or you can use USA today which I think is a good news app, or something similar.

Time Magazine..I dont read time but this will be for all of us

Newsweek...they made the daily beast, which was released yesterday to all of us

Box app....no idea what this is

Okay so nokia is bringing us PayPal, angry birds space and all future rovio titles, FIFA, Madden, NBA Jam, Tiger Woods, Mirror’s Edge, Yahtzee, time mag, and the daily beast.
Not to mention how nokia seems to be focused on getting us high quality apps and not just getting them for the name. I hope this is a sign that we sill stop getting these bad ports that never get updated.
But they are keeping tripdots, AOL, A better ESPN, A better groupon, and PGA for their customers, and we have people mad at nokia. I wish HTC, LG or Samsung would have did this when wp7 launched so we could all have better games/apps now.

Think of it this way, Six Flags has been closed off to all WP7 users for years, but nokia bought out the park for all WP7 users, but they reserved a few rides for V.I.P.s to have quick passes to (imo they arent even the best rides). Ride what you can and when the other rides open up enjoy those also. Dont be so focused on what you dont have, instead look at what you are getting.

And I laugh at the thought of nokia having a few apps apps before everybody being called fragmentation. I have seen & felt android's fragmentation...my Epic constantly gets "your device isn't compatible with this version."To me fragmentation is when you have a Samsung phone and your friend has a Samsung phone, but he can get certain apps and you cant and there is about a 1% chance you ever get it because of hardware issues. Even though I have an HTC Arrive, I thank God for Nokia and the partnerships they have made which will benefit me soon.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the majority here. These Nokia "investments" are only going to benefit us all. I truly wish my Nokia WP7 experience had gone better. I really want them to be successful. It will be good for us all.

All this bashing of different vendors is also pointless. To say Samsung or HTC have not supported WP7 is ludicrous. I can't stand ****** nonsense. Each device seems to have its own merits.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Y'all seen heard today's news, Nokia rebranding the Windows Phone Marketplace. Told y'all, Nokia's WP is coming.

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos